Has the left lane become the new right?

plenzmd1

Driving habits in this country are horrid. I don't think it's a selfish thing; I just believe (a) kids aren't taught properly (it's way too easy to get a license), and (b) a lot of people are just plain oblivious.

And C: Too many people on the roads are driving a !@#$ING PHONE BOOTH!!!!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real reason is that our country doesn't require people to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of how to operate a car or understanding of the rules of driving before giving them a drivers' license. They don't even need to understand English (but I guess road signs aren't really important anyway).

As a result we have many bad drivers who a) don't even know the left lane is supposed to be a 'passing lane' and b) are scared to do something as challenging as changing lanes.

I apologize for posting before I read any of the replies but this thread has struck a nerve because I'm with you 100%.

Having to commute in Atlanta everyday, this is my biggest gripe. I just got into work after having to drive between a 5-lane-wide "wall" of cars all doing the SAME SPEED across all 5 lanes. :wallbash:

On our 4-6 lane highways, the lanes to the right are people getting on and off, and the lanes to the left have become people wanting to avoid all the "lane changers" and just cruise. It's like they set their cruise control, get on their phone, and then dont look in any of their mirrors for the rest of the trip. It's INFURIATING. :censored:

And when anyone DOES pass them on the right, they wave their hands and flip us off and act like we're the a-holes. OK, Im done venting.

As long as we're at it, here are some more:

1.) The people who pull out in front of you, despite the three miles of open road behind you.

2.) The people who don't move over when you're merging onto the interstate when they're next to a clear lane.

3.) The people who gawk at flashing lights and shiny objects like 3-year-olds.

4.) The people who don't understand the meaning of "acceleration lane."

5.) The people who text and drive.

Also, there's no better feeling than seeing somebody pass you on the right, only to realize traffic is backed up in that lane as well and they have to slow down and get behind you again. Dicks.

A lot of it is a language issue, which leads into a culture issue.

Anyone who drives in DC, the DC area in MD., or N VA knows about this. If you see Diplomatic Plates....Run...Run away!

It doesn't help that in this area, a number of highway ramps are on the left. On 395 into the District, it's entirely pointless to "pass left, drive right," since half the time your exit is on the left anyway.

It's funny. Everybody agrees that most of the other drivers on the road are horrible, and we all have the same gripes about the hypothetical "other". But you never seem to meet the terrible drivers. :flirt:

Because we're mostly men posting on this board. :lol::P

2.) The people who don't move over when you're merging onto the interstate when they're next to a clear lane.

That one pisses me off too

Another one I hate, and this is especially true in Hampton Roads with all of the bridges and tunnels that get backed up, are people that don't want to wait another light cycle so they pull out into the intersection when their light turns yellow and stops not only traffic in the lanes they are blocking but prevents cars from turning left because they have to wait for the oncoming traffic to clear after the !@#$ that blocked traffic finally moves.

That one pisses me off too

Another one I hate, and this is especially true in Hampton Roads with all of the bridges and tunnels that get backed up, are people that don't want to wait another light cycle so they pull out into the intersection when their light turns yellow and stops not only traffic in the lanes they are blocking but prevents cars from turning left because they have to wait for the oncoming traffic to clear after the !@#$ that blocked traffic finally moves.

Don't forget the merge lanes for oncoming and exiting traffic that are one in the same... very dangerous designs that plague HR.

It's funny. Everybody agrees that most of the other drivers on the road are horrible, and we all have the same gripes about the hypothetical "other". But you never seem to meet the terrible drivers. :flirt:

I figure I'm a good driver maybe 98% of the time, with the other 2% being typical brain farts that every driver occasionally has. I figure I'm probably typical that way.

The problem becomes: put 500 cars on the road (about how many I see in my typical daily commute, one-way), and that's 10 idiots you have to deal with daily. And odds are (50:1) that you're not one of them.

4.) The people who don't understand the meaning of "acceleration lane."

This this this !@#$ing this!

The worst thing ever is being behind someone on the on-ramp and they don't accelerate until they're halfway into traffic. Then I'm sitting there stuck at 40mph because I was behind them and I have to merge into traffic that's going 70+ before the end of the lane comes around :wallbash:

Those folks get a big ol' bird flip from me when I do get the chance to pass them. Luckily I-87 isn't too busy most of the time.

Edited by LeviF91

This this this !@#$ing this!

The worst thing ever is being behind someone on the on-ramp and they don't accelerate until they're halfway into traffic. Then I'm sitting there stuck at 40mph because I was behind them and I have to merge into traffic that's going 70+ before the end of the lane comes around :wallbash:

Those folks get a big ol' bird flip from me when I do get the chance to pass them. Luckily I-87 isn't too busy most of the time.

Or they stop in the acceleration lane and wait for an opening in traffic...meaning they expect someone in the through lanes to stop in traffic and let them in.

That's not just annoying; that's dangerous.

On limited access highways where in the "rules" does it say all this about "travel lane", passing lanes, slow lanes... Sticking to the right, etc.. UNLESS posted. Even on the NYS Thruway where it says to stay in right lane, except to pass... I find it hard to believe it law... Probably of the time they do that so the cops can pull out... If there is a group speeding, probably best to pack up and clog the left lane so a cop can't get out to hunt one down faster... Anyway... It is mostly local etiquette.

Say a three lane, limited access... No signs posted against it, means you can pass in any lane @ least what I remember from the written driver's test. I got a ticket 5 years ago and when my license was up for renewel, you have to retake the written test.

With that... I almost always move over when I see approaching from behind at a faster rate of speed.

Colorado has had this irritating "drive left/pass right" M.O. for years and in all honesty I thought it was a unique problem, but after reading this thread, I see it's happening all over. In the southern tier of WNY I know people used to drive in the left lane on Rte17/86 because the right lane was nothing but potholes and that kind of made sense, but out here the roads are for the most part fine, so I think it's just a lack of courtesy and self-centeredness.

I figure I'm a good driver maybe 98% of the time, with the other 2% being typical brain farts that every driver occasionally has. I figure I'm probably typical that way.

The problem becomes: put 500 cars on the road (about how many I see in my typical daily commute, one-way), and that's 10 idiots you have to deal with daily. And odds are (50:1) that you're not one of them.

Seems reasonable. And yet, we're not great at empathy when it comes to stuff on the road. I've accidentally cut people off a couple times, but when it happens to me I don't say "Oh, I've done that before, it's ok, I hope that guy has a nice day." :lol:

Those accerlation lanes people talk about are important, the problem is people get right up behind a diesel or a semi truck and expect it to drive like a porche. Sometimes you get stuck behind someone who cannot accerlate as fast as you, just give it a second and you'll be be fine.

Those accerlation lanes people talk about are important, the problem is people get right up behind a diesel or a semi truck and expect it to drive like a porche. Sometimes you get stuck behind someone who cannot accerlate as fast as you, just give it a second and you'll be be fine.

There have been many times when I have traveled I-80 and I-81 only to be blocked by semis in both lanes so as to block the passing lane because they are traveling too fast for the grades and can't react with their brakes due to their speed. Instead of driving slower, they get into the left lane!! Sometimes, they inexplicably stay in the left lane going uphill. You can't pass if the left lane is blocked!

Edited by BmoreBills

I understand when they're larger vehicles; I drive a fairly big truck as well. It's the people in the little Beemers and Mercedes 2-doors that really get to me. Not to mention a person in ANY vehicle who doesn't accelerate at all.