Has the left lane become the new right?

plenzmd1

Off topic... Just take the ticket and do NOT make yourself remembered by the officer. Go to court and fight it at a mini-trial... If you do it right, you will win almost all the time. The key is to make him forget everything about you. Try to get a continuance if it is allowed. When it is time to cross-examine the officer (if he shows)... Do it right. I got a ticket a bunch of years ago and just laid down. Last year, I got another one and decide to fight... Man did I win! I think the judge was a little impressed because in the end I got the cop to incriminate himself and misstep badly. The judge immediately threw it out. Cross examine the state's evidence in question form... Building on the cops incredibility in remembering the incident. Ask what color car you had. Ask if anybody else was in the vehicle. Then state your argument. Mine was that he supposedly got me going the other way in traffic with radar... Ask what was the traffic like. Of course your remember everything. How many tickets do they write a month? Could he have got the wrong vehicle? Doing this, you realize how flimsy the case is against you. If it is your word against the cop... You will lose. You gotta while first at the scene make yourself the invisible ticket... Then start building your case the minute your pull away. It really does work, they totally remember sh*t! It was almost laughable.

A lot of it depends on the judge's mood, though (helps if you're seen early...if you get a late time, near lunch, when the judge is hungry and needs a break and is cranky, you're pretty much screwed). I easily beat a 55 in a 35 once, on the grounds that 1) I wasn't going 55, I was going 40, and 2) the officer claimed to clock me at 55...visually...from a mile away...in the rain...at ten at night. :lol:

Even better, though...talk your way out of it. First, pull over when you KNOW he's got you, don't make him chase you. Second, be polite. He's just doing his job, don't make it harder on him. Get on his good side. Third, don't make excuses. Cop to it, and don't bother defending yourself. "I'm sorry officer. I didn't realize I was going that fast. My attention just wandered." Make his life easy, and odds decent he'll give you a break. Probably more than half the time, I've gotten off with a warning doing just that. I've done it well enough that once I actually had an officer not only let me off with a warning, but as a friendly gesture told me where the other speed traps were down the road ("There's three more from here to Selingsgrove, but then you're clear all the way to Harrisburg.")

Or, if you want, root around under your seat, then hide your hands under your jacket before he comes to your window. They like that, too.

And if the officer's obviously lying (e.g. if he claims to have clocked you doing 20 over in the rain in the dark from a mile away), don't even bother arguing. If he's lying, he's already decided you're getting a ticket. Don't waste your time, just take the ticket and take it to court.

In the case I described earlier, the trooper was just a dick and there was nothing I could do about it. I was out toward the Adirondacks and unbeknownst to me right near a trooper lodge. So I'm not going back there to see a judge. Plus, like I said, I was entrapped. My MO when pulled over is turn the car off, put the keys on the dash and put my hands on the wheel holding my license and registration. Then only speak when spoken to. Usually that sets the tone for me getting off with a warning.

But this time, I was asked loaded questions by the trooper right off the bat. So my "excuses" were mere hypothetical explanation to why I may have been speeding. However, I sensed he was getting annoyed and I certainly wasn't going to make it worse by saying, "I plead the Fifth." There also may have been some "party supplies" in the car (was driving back from a bachelor party excursion) so I wanted to get on with my trip without a search of the vehicle. :devil:

Doesn't copping to it basically ruin your chances in court?

It's a risk. It is up to the cop to include your "confession" in his citation, or let you off with a warning because he appreciates your honesty.

As I described in the earlier scenario, my hands were tied because the trooper was a dick and it didn't matter what I said. He had me on radar and then to put the nail in the coffin tried his damndest to get me to admit to the infraction, to ruin my chances of fighting it. I could've plead the fifth or said I don't know how to answer your question or something like that but I didn't want my car searched by seeming uncooperative. I could go on but I'll stop with the thread hijacking.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of it depends on the judge's mood, though (helps if you're seen early...if you get a late time, near lunch, when the judge is hungry and needs a break and is cranky, you're pretty much screwed). I easily beat a 55 in a 35 once, on the grounds that 1) I wasn't going 55, I was going 40, and 2) the officer claimed to clock me at 55...visually...from a mile away...in the rain...at ten at night. :lol:

Even better, though...talk your way out of it. First, pull over when you KNOW he's got you, don't make him chase you. Second, be polite. He's just doing his job, don't make it harder on him. Get on his good side. Third, don't make excuses. Cop to it, and don't bother defending yourself. "I'm sorry officer. I didn't realize I was going that fast. My attention just wandered." Make his life easy, and odds decent he'll give you a break. Probably more than half the time, I've gotten off with a warning doing just that. I've done it well enough that once I actually had an officer not only let me off with a warning, but as a friendly gesture told me where the other speed traps were down the road ("There's three more from here to Selingsgrove, but then you're clear all the way to Harrisburg.")

Or, if you want, root around under your seat, then hide your hands under your jacket before he comes to your window. They like that, too.

And if the officer's obviously lying (e.g. if he claims to have clocked you doing 20 over in the rain in the dark from a mile away), don't even bother arguing. If he's lying, he's already decided you're getting a ticket. Don't waste your time, just take the ticket and take it to court.

So true about the mood... It was a month before Christmas... Everybody was either getting off with the cop as a no-show or they were folding and admitting guilt. The ones that were going to "trial" were expressly going against the judges orders and arguing instead of asking questions and making a case.

Anyway, my argument revolved around the police officer also traveling at speed and going the opposite direction, could he have "shot" another car? In his exact words: "Oh, no, I got you." Yet, he couldn't remember anything... If he was going to read off the ticket or crib notes, I would have tried an objection on hearsay... I am not sure if that would have worked. Anway, the judge was in a good mood and started to ask the officer questions, speed calibration... How things work "going the other way." The judge asked how the traffic flow was, I said without hestitation: "Moderate to heavy." It ended with the cop confusing himself and saying he got me from behind... I chimed in and said that he was stating he got me from the front... The judeg immediately dismissed the case and gave me my license back. I suppose, the cops memory, judge's mood, and the fact the cop got crossed up was the reason... When I noticed the cop turning around with his lights on, I had two options, keep moving to the Indiana border about 2 miles away... Or turn north along the border and hope ne passes and didn't see me... I turned north... I should have went over the border, but he was flying at about 100 miles an hour to catch me... He had a delay since he had to blow a u-turn in traffic. I stated the rather high speed he was doing when was cross examing him on his speed... He said: "The speed limit." Which was 45mph on that country road.

Oh well, makes me want to try again if I ever get another ticket... That is to fight it out.

Or they stop in the acceleration lane and wait for an opening in traffic...meaning they expect someone in the through lanes to stop in traffic and let them in.

That's not just annoying; that's dangerous.

But that's what the NY Drivers Manual says to do!

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/chapter10-manual.htm#exp-drv

If the entrance lane is too short to allow acceleration to expressway speed, the safest way to enter is to stop and wait for a large gap in traffic. Then enter the expressway and accelerate quickly. To avoid conflicts with other entrance lane traffic, stop only if necessary and merge into expressway traffic as soon as possible.

On limited access highways where in the "rules" does it say all this about "travel lane", passing lanes, slow lanes... Sticking to the right, etc.. UNLESS posted. Even on the NYS Thruway where it says to stay in right lane, except to pass... I find it hard to believe it law...

Actually, I did see someone get pulled over for staying in the left lane. Middle of the day, light traffic, no one in the right lane. I was cruising along in the right lane, the other guy was ahead of me in the left, about 7-10 car lengths. The Trooper was behind him for maybe a mile or two, even flashed his headlights at him (I could see the reflection on the back of his vehicle). Eventualy the red lights when on and he pulled the guy over.

My MO when pulled over is turn the car off, put the keys on the dash and put my hands on the wheel holding my license and registration. Then only speak when spoken to. Usually that sets the tone for me getting off with a warning.

You should also note that if it's after dark, turn on your interior lights, so the cop can see inside easier.

If the entrance lane is too short to allow acceleration to expressway speed, the safest way to enter is to stop and wait for a large gap in traffic. Then enter the expressway and accelerate quickly. To avoid conflicts with other entrance lane traffic, stop only if necessary and merge into expressway traffic as soon as possible.

Actually, I did see someone get pulled over for staying in the left lane. Middle of the day, light traffic, no one in the right lane. I was cruising along in the right lane, the other guy was ahead of me in the left, about 7-10 car lengths. The Trooper was behind him for maybe a mile or two, even flashed his headlights at him (I could see the reflection on the back of his vehicle). Eventualy the red lights when on and he pulled the guy over.

You should also note that if it's after dark, turn on your interior lights, so the cop can see inside easier.

Why the heck would somebody not get over to the right seeing a trooper! Maybe he was not paying attention... Serves that car right! What did he expect the cop to pass on the right? I wonder if got him for that infraction??

Why the heck would somebody not get over to the right seeing a trooper! Maybe he was not paying attention... Serves that car right! What did he expect the cop to pass on the right? I wonder if got him for that infraction??

On freeways where there are only two lanes each way it becomes paramount to stay in the right lane except to pass. Freeways here in So Cal are frequently 4, 5, 6 and 7 lanes wide going each direction. Meaning you can really pass easily in a center lane without having to move all the way to the left lane to pass.

Got stopped about a mile from my house a few months ago, I came of the interstate and gunned it cause I was pissed I lost both my billiards matches. He was hiding in the grassy median between travel lanes. Had me nailed. I pulled over immediately, rolled down the window and put both hands outside the car to make him a little less nervous about approaching the car. He come up to the window and asks for my license and goes back to check my plates.

When he came back about 20 seconds later, he asked me, " so where is your weapon".

Huh?

"I asked you before where was your weapon"

I don't have one.

" usually when people do that ( put hands outside the car) it means they are carrying"

Oh Lord, I don't have a gun, just wanted you to know I wasn't a crazy"

He laughed and let me off with a warning...

Edited by TheMadCap

I apologize for posting before I read any of the replies but this thread has struck a nerve because I'm with you 100%.

Having to commute in Atlanta everyday, this is my biggest gripe. I just got into work after having to drive between a 5-lane-wide "wall" of cars all doing the SAME SPEED across all 5 lanes. :wallbash:

On our 4-6 lane highways, the lanes to the right are people getting on and off, and the lanes to the left have become people wanting to avoid all the "lane changers" and just cruise. It's like they set their cruise control, get on their phone, and then dont look in any of their mirrors for the rest of the trip. It's INFURIATING. :censored:

And when anyone DOES pass them on the right, they wave their hands and flip us off and act like we're the a-holes. OK, Im done venting.

Amen. The other day I was stuck behind this one vehicle camped out in the left lane, and there was too much traffic to pass on the right. I waited until I had the opportunity, moved one lane to the right and started to pass the car that was ahead of me in the left. The idiot starts speeding up to the point where he's equaling my speed, and then I'm stuck having to move back in behind him when I come up to another car in front of me in the right lane. People seriously need to get more of a life if this is the sort of thing that allows them to get their rocks off. I absolutely hate Atlanta traffic and I'm thankful that I get to drive to and from work during off-hours.

Amen. The other day I was stuck behind this one vehicle camped out in the left lane, and there was too much traffic to pass on the right. I waited until I had the opportunity, moved one lane to the right and started to pass the car that was ahead of me in the left. The idiot starts speeding up to the point where he's equaling my speed, and then I'm stuck having to move back in behind him when I come up to another car in front of me in the right lane. People seriously need to get more of a life if this is the sort of thing that allows them to get their rocks off. I absolutely hate Atlanta traffic and I'm thankful that I get to drive to and from work during off-hours.

Ooops, that was me on vacation while heading to Disney World... Sorry, didn't know it was you AJ.

Kids were having a hell of a time! "Toy with him daddy, toy with him! Chump!"

The apples don't fall too far from the tree.

:P

Ooops, that was me on vacation while heading to Disney World... Sorry, didn't know it was you AJ.

Kids were having a hell of a time! "Toy with him daddy, toy with him! Chump!"

The apples don't fall too far from the tree.

:P

I KNEW it!! :D

What you and the others are describing is a condition of driving in the South. I can almost tell where you guys live by your stories. Jboys, I had to snicker reading your posts, as I just assumed you lived in NC, as a person who lied there for over 20 years I can relate. For whatever reason, people down south seem to have this need to !@#$ with others on the road. I can't explain in, but I think it tends to get better as you go north.

Plez, since I know you live in Richmond, as do I, I can tell you that people in VA are light years ahead of NC when it comes to driving with a shred of decency and sense. You know that exit off 64w to Gaskins road south? Those of you not in Richmond, it is an exit from the interstate that you have people simultaneously teying to merge both to the left and right. I could not believe that people would actually let you merge over, the mast majority of the time it goes as it should, like a zipper. in NC, traffic would have backed up through the exit ramp onto the Interstate.

Maybe it's just having too many people from different places move to another place, but I can spend 15 minutes in Raleigh and remember why I am glad I don't live there anymore...

What you and the others are describing is a condition of driving in the South.

As someone who has lived and driven all over the eastern half of the US, I completely agree. I've never encountered so many a-holes as I have since moving to Atlanta. This sort of nonsense occurred far less often back up north. I'm a very aggressive driver, but I don't instigate. Even though it's annoying to have someone slow in the left lane, I don't do as some others do and get right up on their arse...I still keep a good distance back and then pass when I can. People down here just have no clue, especially when there is inclement weather. On top of that, people rubber-neck down here to the point of absurdity. You could just have a simple traffic stop and people will creep on by trying to get the best view they can no matter how uneventful it is. I can't begin to count up how many times traffic has come to a near stand still, only to realize that it was a single car pulled over by a single cop with absolutely nothing going on. It's just ridiculous.

What you and the others are describing is a condition of driving in the South. I can almost tell where you guys live by your stories. Jboys, I had to snicker reading your posts, as I just assumed you lived in NC, as a person who lied there for over 20 years I can relate. For whatever reason, people down south seem to have this need to !@#$ with others on the road. I can't explain in, but I think it tends to get better as you go north.

Plez, since I know you live in Richmond, as do I, I can tell you that people in VA are light years ahead of NC when it comes to driving with a shred of decency and sense. You know that exit off 64w to Gaskins road south? Those of you not in Richmond, it is an exit from the interstate that you have people simultaneously teying to merge both to the left and right. I could not believe that people would actually let you merge over, the mast majority of the time it goes as it should, like a zipper. in NC, traffic would have backed up through the exit ramp onto the Interstate.

Maybe it's just having too many people from different places move to another place, but I can spend 15 minutes in Raleigh and remember why I am glad I don't live there anymore...

ha..live off Gaskins so use that ramp a chit ton. Just about to leave to go to BWI to pick up my son..will most likely be in the fsar right lane majority of the time LOL

Rubber neckers should mind their own !@#$ing business and keep the traffic moving. What are they hoping to see anyhow? Sick nosy !@#$s!

This thread is spot on. I have noticed many times the right lane is going faster then the left lane. Too many ignorant drivers have zero common sense, and it only takes one. A driver doing 50 in the left lane is much more dangerous then a drunk driver doing 80 in the left lane IMO. It backs up traffic and makes people make a dangerous pass on the right. The passing lane is just that, it is used for passing. If you are in the left land and it is doing 80 MPH- you do 80 MPH or pull over to the left lane. It is about flow.

And those rude !@#$s that don't pull over when you are trying to enter a highway are **** too. What happened to common courtesy? The anonymity of driving on highway reminds me of the internet- people are ruder thus.

And I can't stand those !@#$s that try and pass on the right when traffic is heavily congested and you are keeping a safe following distance. I see it all the time on 95/395. People drive like they need to get to the hospital asap, making dangerous attempts trying to pass on right, cutting off drivers....then they get on open highway on 395 and do 65?!?! What the hell was all that swerving about?

Rubber neckers should mind their own !@#$ing business and keep the traffic moving. What are they hoping to see anyhow? Sick nosy !@#$s!

This thread is spot on. I have noticed many times the right lane is going faster then the left lane. Too many ignorant drivers have zero common sense, and it only takes one. A driver doing 50 in the left lane is much more dangerous then a drunk driver doing 80 in the left lane IMO. It backs up traffic and makes people make a dangerous pass on the right. The passing lane is just that, it is used for passing. If you are in the left land and it is doing 80 MPH- you do 80 MPH or pull over to the left lane. It is about flow.

And those rude !@#$s that don't pull over when you are trying to enter a highway are **** too. What happened to common courtesy? The anonymity of driving on highway reminds me of the internet- people are ruder thus.

And I can't stand those !@#$s that try and pass on the right when traffic is heavily congested and you are keeping a safe following distance. I see it all the time on 95/395. People drive like they need to get to the hospital asap, making dangerous attempts trying to pass on right, cutting off drivers....then they get on open highway on 395 and do 65?!?! What the hell was all that swerving about?

I don't know what those people are thinking. If I have to leave my house during the rush hour in the morning there is a freeway on ramp that is always congested. Everyone is crowding the rightmost lane because 1000 feet up the freeway is the on ramp to the 5 North. (A major artery in San Diego that runs up the coast to Canada) I get that people are in the lane because they are waiting in line to take the 5 north. Sometimes though you get aholes who just wont make room for you to enter the freeway which I have the right to merge into traffic. Someone needs to make a gap to let cars merge in. Some people are just not very courteous to other drivers.

Talking about a-hole southern drivers...

I was on US52 a few months ago. I was in my F350 - slow accerlation - and getting on the highway on a crazy onramp in an active work zone at about 9something. There had been a semi in front of me having a worse time then I accelerating. Work was in full go, and here in NC they have no tolerance for speeding in a work zone. I was still going about 60 when I reached traveling speed (50 mph speed limit), with the semi on my right now doing about 50. Behind me there was a guy who was driving fast as can be in a souped up all black F150 - he was all over my tail and being an ahole. I didn't brake check him or anything, I was waiting to get enough room to move to the right lane and he cuts the semi off causing him to throw his brakes on, then gets beside me throwing a tempertantrum. He pulls over in front of me and even though I had slowed down to about 30 I have to slam my brakes on.

He then decides to speed up. Then slows down to toy with me. He does it great, too. Just slows down to travel speed where I end up about 20 yards behind him. He changes lanes a lot, won't let me get in the right lane without getting in front of me. Brake checks, a-hole driving follow. At one point he pulls beside me and I show him I am on the phone and mouth the words police. There is no way I can speed past him (I am in a diesel!)...so he starts to drive.

No idea what happened with the guy, the cop I spoke to was not too concerned about it - no weapons. And, I basically said I do not know if the guy was just having a bad day or just another a-hole but he doesn't need to be on the road right now no matter what the reason. He agreed, asked if I want to press charges - I said no. I didnt' flick him off, do anything - just smile and stick my tongue out making a funny face.

Talking about a-hole southern drivers...

I was on US52 a few months ago. I was in my F350 - slow accerlation - and getting on the highway on a crazy onramp in an active work zone at about 9something. There had been a semi in front of me having a worse time then I accelerating. Work was in full go, and here in NC they have no tolerance for speeding in a work zone. I was still going about 60 when I reached traveling speed (50 mph speed limit), with the semi on my right now doing about 50. Behind me there was a guy who was driving fast as can be in a souped up all black F150 - he was all over my tail and being an ahole. I didn't brake check him or anything, I was waiting to get enough room to move to the right lane and he cuts the semi off causing him to throw his brakes on, then gets beside me throwing a tempertantrum. He pulls over in front of me and even though I had slowed down to about 30 I have to slam my brakes on.

He then decides to speed up. Then slows down to toy with me. He does it great, too. Just slows down to travel speed where I end up about 20 yards behind him. He changes lanes a lot, won't let me get in the right lane without getting in front of me. Brake checks, a-hole driving follow. At one point he pulls beside me and I show him I am on the phone and mouth the words police. There is no way I can speed past him (I am in a diesel!)...so he starts to drive.

No idea what happened with the guy, the cop I spoke to was not too concerned about it - no weapons. And, I basically said I do not know if the guy was just having a bad day or just another a-hole but he doesn't need to be on the road right now no matter what the reason. He agreed, asked if I want to press charges - I said no. I didnt' flick him off, do anything - just smile and stick my tongue out making a funny face.

Be prepared for Dr. Daren telling you were wrong for not moving over to the right lane.

One thing that really annoys me is the high beam flash in the middle of the night. Whether the driver thinks you cut them off or is tailing you and really wants you to move, they're close behind you and they decide to go with the method that could potentially blind you. They're just asking for trouble.

You complaining about drivers? Because that sounds like most of the bicyclists I see.