Question For Those Of You That Have Kids

Do the rest of you guys find it hard to keep your own personal political views our of the conversation when talking to your kids about government? My daughter is turning 10 this year and is starting the realize the many ways in which government impacts her life and is starting to ask a lot of questions about stuff like Obama Care and the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats.

I want her and my other kids to grow up to be able to for their own personal opinions so I try to keep as much opinion out of my answers as possible. But I still tend to find myself bending explanations that push my left leaning view.

I feel like my job as a parent is to give her the tools she needs to form her own opinions even if they are contrary to mine. Just wondering if any of you have some advice on how I can do that.

I want her and my other kids to grow up to be able to for their own personal opinions so I try to keep as much opinion out of my answers as possible. But I still tend to find myself bending explanations that push my left leaning view.

You're a poor excuse for a liberal. :devil:

Seriously though, I think the best thing you can really do is just explain the mechanics of government to her and try to explain that both sides are trying to do what they feel is right (in a few years you can tell her the truth that they do whatever lines their pockets more).

I don't have kids but I have a few friends that do have kids. They don't necessarily engage their kids in politics but they do take an interest in what their kids are being taught. I've heard a few WTF are they brainwashing their kids with rants

I don't but I'd say your on the right track. I'd say give them the tools to understand what government is, and how to critically think. You can discuss views but I'd leave out things like "I think this and they think that" (us vs them views) and stay with "well one side has these ideals or views on an issue while the other side has this view" and encourage kids to learn what's important to them and how to collect and analyze information to reach that point.

Beware though, if you do that well, she's bound to pick up on the bs you send out into the world too!

Do the rest of you guys find it hard to keep your own personal political views our of the conversation when talking to your kids about government? My daughter is turning 10 this year and is starting the realize the many ways in which government impacts her life and is starting to ask a lot of questions about stuff like Obama Care and the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats.

I feel like my job as a parent is to give her the tools she needs to form her own opinions even if they are contrary to mine. Just wondering if any of you have some advice on how I can do that.

Even your 10 year old realizes that government is impacting her life in many ways. Good or bad government should not impact our lives in many ways.

Most parents dictate what religion their kids grow up believing in, and organized religion throughout history has been responsible for much of the political debate. So I wouldn't worry about what your kid hears from you about politics. What you can do is explain what both side's views are of a given debate, and then explain why you favor one over the other, and ask them what they think about it.

Most parents dictate what religion their kids grow up believing in, and organized religion throughout history has been responsible for much of the political debate. So I wouldn't worry about what your kid hears from you about politics. What you can do is explain what both side's views are of a given debate, and then explain why you favor one over the other, and ask them what they think about it.

Why is it important to give your reasons for what you favor?

It's really simple, actually. My wife and I work very hard to teach our son that he needs to be responsible for his own actions. We teach him that if you want anything, you must work for it...earn it. We teach him that the stronger and more responsible he is, the stronger and more responsible he can be for others so he can help others when they need it. We teach him there are different kinds of people in this world, and he needs to decide who he wants to be. There are those who do and those who let other's do for them. Those who lead and those who follow. Those who think first, then react calmly in times of crisis, and those who just react like baschittcrazyloons. There are those who do things wrong and look for excuses and those who do things wrong and learn to pick themselves up, learn from their mistakes, and try to improve upon themselves.

And most importantly, we explain that while he will always be expected to make his own decisions through his life, there are THREE rules we will clarify for him right now for which he no say:

Rule 1: We will always love you.

Rule 2: You will always be a Bills fan.

Rule 3, If we ever find out you're a liberal, Rule 1 goes away.

Edited by LABillzFan

It's really simple, actually. My wife and I work very hard to teach our son that he needs to be responsible for his own actions. We teach him that if you want anything, you must work for it...earn it. We teach him that the stronger and more responsible he is, the stronger and more responsible he can be for others so he can help others when they need it. We teach him there are different kinds of people in this world, and he needs to decide who he wants to be. There are those who do and those who let other's do for them. Those who lead and those who follow. Those who think first, then react calmly in times of crisis, and those who just react like baschittcrazyloons. There are those who do things wrong and look for excuses and those who do things wrong and learn to pick themselves up, learn from their mistakes, and try to improve upon themselves.

That's why you need to send the kids to school to unlearn those silly things you teach them and educate them in the daily truth

There is such a thing as a free lunch

Everybody gets a trophy

There is no power higher than The State

Depending on the color of the kids skin

-Blame white people for your problems

-It's unfair to other children that you were born white

That's why you need to send the kids to school to unlearn those silly things you teach them and educate them in the daily truth

There is such a thing as a free lunch

Everybody gets a trophy

There is no power higher than The State

Depending on the color of the kids skin

-Blame white people for your problems

-It's unfair to other children that you were born white

Private school only. I don't care if I have to sell oranges on street corners to make it happen. No way in hell he gets put into one of those public liberal meatgrinders.

I don't have kids...but whenever talking to my oldest niece, I make it a point to promote Republican politics whenever I can.

Only because my sister-in-law is a stark raving lunatic bumper-sticker liberal of the MOST annoying kind, and I feel it's my duty to make my sis-in-law's life a living hell by provide my niece with the skills and knowledge required to rebel in her teen years. :w00t:

Only because my sister-in-law is a stark raving lunatic bumper-sticker liberal of the MOST annoying kind

So what you're saying is that your sister-in-law is an idiot?

Oh wait nevermind, she married into your family. 'nuff said