Red Headed Woodpecker

I had dinner tonight with someone who's known Pete Metzelaars since Wabash. Says Pete was recruited to play football at bigger schools (Bo Schembechler tried to get him to Michigan) but Pete wanted to play both football and basketball and so went to Wabash.

Pete's nickname, at least on the basketball team, was "The Red Headed Woodpecker."

The gentleman from Wabash says that, unlike a lot of other athletes who made a lot of money in sports, Pete stayed humble and down-to-earth. Says Pete's a solid human being.

Edited by hondo in seattle

What dirty laundry?

Geez, can't a guy give a couple of lovely young ladies a ride home in a Limo after having too much to drink?

Also, this story is false. "After practice" would suggest they were in Western New York, and we all know there are no "hot young ladies" in Western New York.

What dirty laundry?

Geez, can't a guy give a couple of lovely young ladies a ride home in a Limo after having too much to drink?

Also, this story is false. "After practice" would suggest they were in Western New York, and we all know there are no "hot young ladies" in Western New York.

LOL! Yea - no hot young ladies in WNY...you can ask Willis McLazy all about that topic.

How does Jim Kelly's past have any relevence to Pete's humble behavior?

Kelly has moved beyond his past becoming a man of faith :thumbsup: , a faith that has apparently strengthened his marriage to Jill. To include allegations related to what may or may not have happened in the past about someone who has boldly admitted to his shortcomings just makes no sense :wallbash: especially if the poster's intent was to tell us about the 'Red Headed Woodpecker' nickname and our tight end coach's humbleness.

There is no titilation value in my mind of rehashing stories about a man who has moved forward in his life.

As noted in another reply ... I guess that we will be subject to some pretty off the wall threads from now until training camp. I only hope that the moderators use some judgement in closing out threads that have no benefit to the discussion of the Buffalo Bills.

Kelly has moved beyond his past becoming a man of faith :thumbsup: , a faith that has apparently strengthened his marriage to Jill. To include allegations related to what may or may not have happened in the past about someone who has boldly admitted to his shortcomings just makes no sense :wallbash: especially if the poster's intent was to tell us about the 'Red Headed Woodpecker' nickname and our tight end coach's humbleness.

There is no titilation value in my mind of rehashing stories about a man who has moved forward in his life.

As noted in another reply ... I guess that we will be subject to some pretty off the wall threads from now until training camp. I only hope that the moderators use some judgement in closing out threads that have no benefit to the discussion of the Buffalo Bills.

Is this you Jim?

Agreed, the comments about Pete M. were fine . . . but I see no need or point for the Kelly Gossip

I had dinner tonight with someone who's known Pete Metzelaars since Wabash. Says Pete was recruited to play football at bigger schools (Bo Schembechler tried to get him to Michigan) but Pete wanted to play both football and basketball and so went to Wabash.

Pete's nickname, at least on the basketball team, was "The Red Headed Woodpecker."

I also heard this story. Jim Kelly shows up in a limo at a bar where Pete and some of the other players are having a few beers after practice. After a while, Jim leaves in the limo with a hot young lady. An hour and half later, Jim returns in his limo. An hour after that, Jim departs again, with a different hot young lady.

The gentleman from Wabash says that, unlike a lot of other athletes who made a lot of money in sports, Pete stayed humble and down-to-earth. Says Pete's a solid human being.

Long Long Long ago.

We all know Jim was a lady's man. How about you get current with the times. Who the hell cares about that stuff now.

I love this Jim Kelly "protection" that goes on around here. He was a quarterback for a football team, for Christ's sake; not Mother Theresa. He was an arrogant, cocky, womanizing a-hole ... like lots of other people. He changed his ways ... like lots of other people. And guess what ... he puts his pants on one leg at a time, like everybody. He's not your hero and he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Not then. Not now. Geesh.

I deleted the Jim Kelly story.

By all accounts Jim is a devoted & good father and husband these days. But, by his own admission, Jim liked the ladies when he first came to Buffalo. Who can blame him? Personally, I think stories about misspent youth often can be amusing when we've grown and matured since then as Jim obviously have. However, some people were apparently offended when my story reminded them of Jim's youthful follies. So the little Kelly tidbit is gone. I have no desire to offend any Bill fan anywhere.

And, yeah, I know the original post was not very meaty. But it's the offseason and I don't often meet people with personal, inside knowledge of the Bills or anyone on the Bills team/staff so I thought I'd share. It was nice to hear so many good things about Pete from someone who knows him. I hope hPete helps make our TEs more productive this year.

he puts his pants on one leg at a time, like everybody.

Saw a great "Tank McNamara" years ago that I wished I'd saved. Local College is getting ready to play Enormous State Univ. and the coach is giving the one-leg-at-a-time speech. Someone finds a hole in the locker room wall they can use to spy on the the ESU locker room. They see the ESU players practicing a drill where they jump up and put their pants on both legs at a time. In the last panel the small college guys are freaking out.

It was hilarious at the time but I guess you had to be there.

Why, oh why, didn't they just call him "Woody?" We could have enjoyed Bills "penis" jokes much earlier! :rolleyes:

BA

I deleted the Jim Kelly story.

By all accounts Jim is a devoted & good father and husband these days. But, by his own admission, Jim liked the ladies when he first came to Buffalo. Who can blame him? Personally, I think stories about misspent youth often can be amusing when we've grown and matured since then as Jim obviously have. However, some people were apparently offended when my story reminded them of Jim's youthful follies. So the little Kelly tidbit is gone. I have no desire to offend any Bill fan anywhere.

And, yeah, I know the original post was not very meaty. But it's the offseason and I don't often meet people with personal, inside knowledge of the Bills or anyone on the Bills team/staff so I thought I'd share. It was nice to hear so many good things about Pete from someone who knows him. I hope hPete helps make our TEs more productive this year.

:thumbsup: Thanks ... no I am not Jim and no I wasn't out to bury his past but we can all buy his book to discover his foibles.

These days I want the good news and interesting side stories so Hondo I really appreciate the update (And, no I am not Jim nor do I worship the ground he walks on because like me he does put his pants on one leg at a time.).

Edited by shoretalk