#2 Receiver

I can confirm that "hands of stone" is accurate and Jones lacks "ball skills." Even on some of his best catches, he doesn't use his hands, the ball bounces off his chest pads and then he catches it off the bounce. There was a critical 3rd down catch where Fitz placed the ball perfectly down the sideline but Jones mis-timed the jump, couldn't snag it. I also recall Jones popping a ball in the air, across the middle for an INT, right off his hands. He may be one of the more athletic WRs and his game against the Pats* was stellar, but I still think he's far away from a #2 starting WR.

IMO, Hagan or Nelson will be the #2. I'd be suprised if Easley makes the team. Nothing against him, it's just that odds are stacked against 3rd year rookies.

The Bills have given Nelson almost no looks at outside WR, they don't like his speed there. I don't think he is even in consideration. I do agree that Hagan is the front runner though.

I think Easely will make the team, simply because there is such little depth behind him. I think he is a long shot to be the #2 receiver though, at least to start the year.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone remind me Hagan's experience/history with the Bills last year. It suprised me to see in the latest feature n him that he has 7 yrs NFL experience.

I think it's a three dog race between jones, hagan and easley. Jones is the current leader, as chan says, IMO, because of his run blocking. If hagan and Easley can show they're good run blockers, they'll probably unseat jones. Jones has great athleticism and has made a couple big plays. Yes, his hands were suspect last season in his first season as a starter with a journeyman qb (yep). While I hope hagan or Easley (or graham, unlikely IMO), can win the #2 spot, I think jones will eventually be the guy. Nelson is a slot receiver, I'd prefer him to stay there.

I can confirm that "hands of stone" is accurate and Jones lacks "ball skills." Even on some of his best catches, he doesn't use his hands, the ball bounces off his chest pads and then he catches it off the bounce. There was a critical 3rd down catch where Fitz placed the ball perfectly down the sideline but Jones mis-timed the jump, couldn't snag it. I also recall Jones popping a ball in the air, across the middle for an INT, right off his hands. He may be one of the more athletic WRs and his game against the Pats* was stellar, but I still think he's far away from a #2 starting WR.

IMO, Hagan or Nelson will be the #2. I'd be suprised if Easley makes the team. Nothing against him, it's just that odds are stacked against 3rd year rookies.

I find it hard to believe that the Bills have kept Easley on the team for 3 seasons just for him to be cut before the season starts.

Easley will be here for the season and given every opportunity to develop.

But where is the speedster Clowney? The very late late pick up. I saw an interview and thats all i know. getting any playing time?

Edited by 3rdand12

Between Jones and Hagan. I like Hagan more because of experience and he plays with passion. Really like that guy.

I think it's a three dog race between jones, hagan and easley. Jones is the current leader, as chan says, IMO, because of his run blocking. If hagan and Easley can show they're good run blockers, they'll probably unseat jones. Jones has great athleticism and has made a couple big plays. Yes, his hands were suspect last season in his first season as a starter with a journeyman qb (yep). While I hope hagan or Easley (or graham, unlikely IMO), can win the #2 spot, I think jones will eventually be the guy. Nelson is a slot receiver, I'd prefer him to stay there.

+1 Right on :thumbsup:

The "#2" or "#1" thing is a weird concept.

If we're talking how often a player is targeted, the number two is probably going to be someone like David Nelson, even though classically, the "#2" is an outside receiver, while Nelson is more of a slot guy. Frankly, all we need from the "#2" guy is to spread the field a bit. Jones, Easley and Graham could all do that, I believe, without needing however many big plays/yards. We have guys who are proven producers, I think the big goal is to simply make it easier on them and if we have another weapon, awesome.

The "#2" or "#1" thing is a weird concept.

If we're talking how often a player is targeted, the number two is probably going to be someone like David Nelson, even though classically, the "#2" is an outside receiver, while Nelson is more of a slot guy. Frankly, all we need from the "#2" guy is to spread the field a bit. Jones, Easley and Graham could all do that, I believe, without needing however many big plays/yards. We have guys who are proven producers, I think the big goal is to simply make it easier on them and if we have another weapon, awesome.

Exactly. In a spread offense with good RB's your slot guy and TE's work the inside of the field a lot, and your outside guys spread the field. Stevie gets targeted ten times a game, nelson 5, chandler 5, RB's 5, and the rest goes to the hot player or mismatch.

#2 guy doesn't really apply to us IMO. Either way Fitzy normally chucks it about 40 times a game, he's gonna get you an 85 QB rating, 25 TD's a year and hopefully trim that INT number this year with a better defense and playing with the lead some more.

Remember folks, we didn't really add much to our offense, it's going to look similar this year as it did last year. But if we stay healthy and that defense and special teams keeps us on a short field, we can win 10 games and get in the post season.

most likely it will be either jones or hagan to start the season. jones had some ugly drops and high profile caroms but he also had some significant big plays and should be much better in his third season. hagan is the cagey veteran who might finally be ready to start after seven seasons of learning

despite all the fan hype, easley is nothing more than a physical specimen and prospect. he has a close to zero body of work and has a long way to go to unseat even a shakey starter like jones. he would need to have a tremendous preseason with virtually no mistakes to earn chans trust and i just doubt that happens

nelson is not an outside guy, roosevelt is simply too slow to be a starter, tj graham is not ready to match up against top nfl corners, and aiken might as well be sam aiken for all the chance he has to win the job

its too bad chuddy couldnt land meachem because that would have made the offseason just about pristine. now they really need somebody to step up and make a difference and im not sure they have anybody that can do that. having an offense that runs the spread so much dilutes the importance of a bonafide wr2 a little, but they still would benefit from a consistent threat opposite stevie and right now they dont have that

If the Bills got meachem, would they also been able to get Anderson? And which one would you rather of had?

Remember folks, we didn't really add much to our offense, it's going to look similar this year as it did last year. But if we stay healthy and that defense and special teams keeps us on a short field, we can win 10 games and get in the post season.

Indeed. It's not like our offense lost us games, we scored plenty most weeks. :)

If the Bills got meachem, would they also been able to get Anderson? And which one would you rather of had?

Anderson. All day, every day. We can work with our guys to get similar production that Meachem would have provided. Whereas DE depth is something we were in desperate need of.

Hagen or Easley if he emerges. More likely Hagen IMO. Just a hunch

My thoughts as well. Think Easley has missed too much time to win 2 job, but sees field enough to contribute, and Hagen wins the 2 spot.

Indeed. It's not like our offense lost us games, we scored plenty most weeks. :)

Agree to a point, offense has put up good amount of points, but also have way too many 3-5 and outs. Need more balance on offense, and less 3 passes and hand it back. More of a threat at 2, and bit more deep passing to keep defenses from crowding line should help lower the number of 3 and outs i believe.

I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by Donald Jones this year.

Hope so, he doesn't seem to be someone that Fitz looks for though. Having a full offseason to work together to build that rapport may fix that though.

The battle for the #2 WR spot should be interesting. There are several players who could potentially emerge. I'm kind of thinking it's between Hagan and Jones but Easley is a wildcard.

And then there's TJ which hardly anyone is mentioning even though the brain trust apparently thinks highly of him. Doesn't anyone believe he could win the #2 spot - if not by opening day then by the end of the season?

Hope so, he doesn't seem to be someone that Fitz looks for though.

I'm not sure exactly why you think that.

And then there's TJ which hardly anyone is mentioning even though the brain trust apparently thinks highly of him. Doesn't anyone believe he could win the #2 spot - if not by opening day then by the end of the season?

I don't think TJ will be ready for the starting #2 spot, at least not for a while, and certainly given the more experienced guys we have on the roster. My guess is that, in the two WR set, it will be Stevie and Donald Jones; TJ will come on when we move to the three and four WR sets, with Jones moving inside along with Nelson.

I'm not sure exactly why you think that.

Fitz seems to look for Nelson or Johnson when gets in trouble. I don't think he has the trust in him that he has in couple of other receivers yet. From what have seen, seems like Fitz was even more comfortable with Easley during training camp last year in that respect. Not saying wont be there this year, just that doesn't seem like has been there up to this point.

Edited by rstencel

With Hagan getting a lot of reps and with all the experience, Jones having the inside track, Graham being a #3 pick and a lock, and Easley having the whole physical package and his health back, what seemed to be a dogfight for the WR position already seems like almost a foregone conclusion barring injury. It's going to be extremely hard for Aiken, Roosevelt, Martin, Clowney, or anyone else to break through those top six.

Chances are, also, that all six of them will play, and there is a good chance that Stevie and Nelson are the only regulars, with Jones, Graham, Hagan and Easley splitting time on certain packages and in different positions. Jones will likely get the most playing time at first, especially considering that he will play two positions (outside opposite Stevie, and inside slot #2 in 4 WR sets). Hagan will also likely play both spots.

It's not a bad group if Jones gets any production. Easley is the wildcard. Hagan should be reliable but not great. Graham will likely only show flashes. CJ and Fred will also take the slot #2 position on a lot of plays, lessening the need for 4 WR a substantial amount.

Im sure most, if not all of u have seen Chris Brown's blog on BB.com about Jones being lined up the slot the a majority of the snaps so far. If not jones or Nelson whose out number 2? My opinion is it will be Easley but i want to hear your thoughts and why?

Nelson bc he makes plays