#2 Receiver

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched an interview of Gailey after a mini camp practice - he said Jones has a slight lead as the number 2 receiver right now. Hagan has looked really good too so this should be great competition in camp.

Edited by Azucho98

Im sure most, if not all of u have seen Chris Brown's blog on BB.com about Jones being lined up the slot the a majority of the snaps so far. If not jones or Nelson whose out number 2? My opinion is it will be Easley but i want to hear your thoughts and why?

We saw Nelson out wide due to injuries last year and it wasn't pretty. In the slot, though, he has value.

Jones has potential, but also hands of stone.

Graham is a bit of a project.

Easley will be all set to go as the starter then get flattened by a steamroller.

Hagan? Wouldn't shock me.

I'm willing to wait & see what happens this pre-season, but if no one steps up AND it does indeed look like this team is on the verge of something big, I hope Nix makes a move to bring someone else in. Doesn't have to be for a high draft pick either, trade away a player where the team has plenty of solid depth. Like Kelsay. :thumbsup:

most likely it will be either jones or hagan to start the season. jones had some ugly drops and high profile caroms but he also had some significant big plays and should be much better in his third season. hagan is the cagey veteran who might finally be ready to start after seven seasons of learning

despite all the fan hype, easley is nothing more than a physical specimen and prospect. he has a close to zero body of work and has a long way to go to unseat even a shakey starter like jones. he would need to have a tremendous preseason with virtually no mistakes to earn chans trust and i just doubt that happens

nelson is not an outside guy, roosevelt is simply too slow to be a starter, tj graham is not ready to match up against top nfl corners, and aiken might as well be sam aiken for all the chance he has to win the job

its too bad chuddy couldnt land meachem because that would have made the offseason just about pristine. now they really need somebody to step up and make a difference and im not sure they have anybody that can do that. having an offense that runs the spread so much dilutes the importance of a bonafide wr2 a little, but they still would benefit from a consistent threat opposite stevie and right now they dont have that

FWIW I heard on an interview clip that was played on WGR today from Stevie after practice today. Stevie was working out with Brad Smith at the end of practice which was good considering his recent surgery news. Stevie said to look out for Jones this year. He believes people are writing him off and he will suprise everyone and will become a star. Said it's very similar to how he was when he was trying to get onto the field full time. I don't have a link, clip, pic, quote but that's pretty much what was said. Take it for what it's worth but Stevie says to look out for Jones.

We saw Nelson out wide due to injuries last year and it wasn't pretty. In the slot, though, he has value.

Jones has potential, but also hands of stone.

Graham is a bit of a project.

Easley will be all set to go as the starter then get flattened by a steamroller.

Hagan? Wouldn't shock me.

Funny, I don't recall seeing this. Do you have specific examples? Easley's hands have been far more suspect, from what I've seen.

I agree, however, Hagan is the dark horse candidate who may come out of nowhere and grab the job.

Graham will be a situational player this season, IMO.

I watched an interview of Gailey after a mini camp practice - he said Jones has a slight lead as the number 2 receiver right now. Hagan has looked really good too so this should be great competition in camp.

I agree.

Funny, I don't recall seeing this. Do you have specific examples? Easley's hands have been far more suspect, from what I've seen.

I agree, however, Hagan is the dark horse candidate who may come out of nowhere and grab the job.

Graham will be a situational player this season, IMO.

I can confirm that "hands of stone" is accurate and Jones lacks "ball skills." Even on some of his best catches, he doesn't use his hands, the ball bounces off his chest pads and then he catches it off the bounce. There was a critical 3rd down catch where Fitz placed the ball perfectly down the sideline but Jones mis-timed the jump, couldn't snag it. I also recall Jones popping a ball in the air, across the middle for an INT, right off his hands. He may be one of the more athletic WRs and his game against the Pats* was stellar, but I still think he's far away from a #2 starting WR.

IMO, Hagan or Nelson will be the #2. I'd be suprised if Easley makes the team. Nothing against him, it's just that odds are stacked against 3rd year rookies.

Honestly, from what I have seen of all the candidates, Hagan has looked by far the best and most consistent. Jones, can't catch, we all know that. Easely has proved nothing to this point, except that he has suspect hands. He would really have to prove he is worthy to have a shot at that #2 spot. I doubt that will happen.

Hagan has been playing with the 1st team in SJ's spot, and by all accounts has been the best WR on the field. I would actually be shocked if he doesn't emerge as the #2, barring a FA signing. Hagan may not be anything special, but he has decent speed, decent hands, and runs decent routes. The closest any of those guys is to a complete receiver (Which you need to be, to be a starter). I think he could hold down that spot in this offense.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Honestly, from what I have seen of all the candidates, Hagan has looked by far the best and most consistent. Jones, can't catch, we all know that. Easely has proved nothing to this point, except that he has suspect hands. He would really have to prove he is worthy to have a shot at that #2 spot. I doubt that will happen.

Hagan has been playing with the 1st team in SJ's spot, and by all accounts has been the best WR on the field. I would actually be shocked if he doesn't emerge as the #2, barring a FA signing. Hagan may not be anything special, but he has decent speed, decent hands, and runs decent routes. More than you can say about the other guys. I think he could hold down that spot in this offense.

Hagan sounds pretty decent. Which is nice in a #2.