Nelson and Chandler down the middle

eball

Dont know how many of you have been watching the Bills Roundup segments, but this week there were a ton of plays in which Fitz was hitting Nelson and Chandler down the middle and it appears this is something they're really working on. It makes sense, too, since you will have Stevie at the "one" and hopefully another guy with outside speed in the base, one back set.

Nothing earth-shattering here; just something I noticed. I believe that lost in all of the "who will be the number two" hand-wringing is the development and improvement of players like Nelson and Chandler.

Day 6 ota highlight is where I assume you saw? The other thing apparent to me is how precise all the throws were from fitz. Either ha had a phenomenal day or qb coach is already having an impact.

I have been watching camp/ota highlights religously for 5 years and I can't say I have seen this type of accuracy strung together in except for maybe practice probowler Trent. Def not fitz...

He's also hitting Donald Jones and Dorin Dickerson over the middle. Last year was the first time in a long time that I saw the Bills attacking the middle of the field. I think it has a lot to do with Buffalo's recent offensive success. It was getting sickening watching nothing but screen passes, go routes and running plays. You have to attack all areas of the field to keep the defense guessing. You'll notice that some of the plays are over the middle short and others where the receiver is getting behind the defenders deep. It's really nice to see a good mixture of successful plays. After watching the offense regress late last year, I was concerned that the offense would take a step back this year. Now I'm pretty encouraged by what I'm seeing. Fitz looks great. The receivers look great and we know what we've got for running backs.

The only questions now are can they continue when the pads go on? Will the offensive line be able to sustain blocks once those pads go on? So far, I'm impressed. We'll see soon enough.

I'm so glad to see Nelson doing as well as he has been since we grabbed him as an UDFA. I've been a Gator fan for years now, and knew the kid had great hands. I'm glad we have a go-to guy for 3rd down conversions, the man doesn't drop passes!

Welcome to the board ZAZ!

For the OP...great timing on this thread eball!

our version of Gronk and Hernandez :thumbsup:

Actually it's a pretty good comparison. Chandler the big white boy at TE and Nelson the slim, shiftier type of TE that people just think he's more of a WR. I personally think he's more of a WR but I think that of Hernandez too.

Actually it's a pretty good comparison. Chandler the big white boy at TE and Nelson the slim, shiftier type of TE that people just think he's more of a WR. I personally think he's more of a WR but I think that of Hernandez too.

Who was it last year that kept calling Nelson a TE during a game broadcast?

Anyhow, Nelson is probably a hybrid TE/WR. He has the hight for TE, but speed of a WR. He play tough enough, and is a decent blocker when he needs to be. He is just one of those guys it is easy to root for. I think he is going to have a breakout year.And if he did, he would cement his staining as one of the BIlls fans top guys - he is already close.

Who was it last year that kept calling Nelson a TE during a game broadcast?

Anyhow, Nelson is probably a hybrid TE/WR. He has the hight for TE, but speed of a WR. He play tough enough, and is a decent blocker when he needs to be. He is just one of those guys it is easy to root for. I think he is going to have a breakout year.And if he did, he would cement his staining as one of the BIlls fans top guys - he is already close.

He is a Fitz favorite thats for sure! Edited by 3rdand12

I have the same feeling about this team looking like they mean business. They know the front office really stepped it up this offseason by re-signing guys that deserved it and adding serious pass rushing talent via free agency, so it's up to them now to step it up on the field and be ready for opening day. I really can't wait for opening day and see what this team will look like on the field, especially the defense...Go Bills!!!

It is going to be fun.

Yep guys like Hernandez, Nelson, Fleener, etc; are the new hybrid WRs

He's also hitting Donald Jones and Dorin Dickerson over the middle. Last year was the first time in a long time that I saw the Bills attacking the middle of the field. I think it has a lot to do with Buffalo's recent offensive success. It was getting sickening watching nothing but screen passes, go routes and running plays. You have to attack all areas of the field to keep the defense guessing. You'll notice that some of the plays are over the middle short and others where the receiver is getting behind the defenders deep. It's really nice to see a good mixture of successful plays. After watching the offense regress late last year, I was concerned that the offense would take a step back this year. Now I'm pretty encouraged by what I'm seeing. Fitz looks great. The receivers look great and we know what we've got for running backs.

The only questions now are can they continue when the pads go on? Will the offensive line be able to sustain blocks once those pads go on? So far, I'm impressed. We'll see soon enough.

If our OL can sustain blocks against this DL this year, it might mean something. Something other than "wow, our DL sucks".

That's going to be a tall order. Although this team had the fewest sacks in the league, it was very apparent last year that the line was not giving Fitz a lot of time. Hopefully that changes with the added depth on the line. I just hope Wood is back healthy and the tackles are strong this year. Maybe then a few more deep balls will hit their mark.

When the Bills were effective last year, it occurred when there was a player at #2 who was at least a threat. Donald Jones was getting open early last year and made a few catches. That allowed Nelson in the slot and Chandler at TE (but often split) to exploit the middle of the field. The Bills had all kinds of weapons and Fitz was great and deciding pre-snap where to go with the ball, which often meant Nelson or Chandler. When Jones stopped producing and got hurt, and Nelson and/others were put in at #2 and never were a threat OR forced us away from allowing Nelson and Chandler to roam the middle, our play drastically suffered. This was also the time that the 3rd and 4th injuries hit the OL, and when Fitz suffered his injury. The offense never recovered, Fitz didn't have time to exploit the whole field, the #2 wasnt a threat and suddenly Chandler and nelson were marginalized. It was pretty simple what happened, IMO.

This year, if the line holds up, and if Easley or Jones or Graham or Hagan can be a threat out of the #2 slot, we will see what you are seeing in the OTAs and what we saw the first 5-6 games last year. It should be even more exciting with the time to develop the offense in the off season, the addition of Lee to help Fitz and the Wildcat, and the emergence of Spiller. Not to mention the defense giving the offense better field position. There is a lot of reason to get excited about the middle of the field in the Bills offense.

Nelson looks like a twig. Not saying he's not an effective target in the middle, he was last year, but don't seam guys generally have some TE-like heft to them since they're taking more shots from LBs?

Slipperyness is also a method to get free, along with good hand work. he will be fine even though he is the sensitve type by appearances.lol

You mean, like Wes Welker does?

Like I said, I don't doubt Nelson's effectiveness, but Welker is short, not a stick like Nelson. Welker is pretty stout looking actually.

Slipperyness is also a method to get free, along with good hand work. he will be fine even though he is the sensitve type by appearances.lol

Well said.

When the Bills were effective last year, it occurred when there was a player at #2 who was at least a threat. Donald Jones was getting open early last year and made a few catches. That allowed Nelson in the slot and Chandler at TE (but often split) to exploit the middle of the field. The Bills had all kinds of weapons and Fitz was great and deciding pre-snap where to go with the ball, which often meant Nelson or Chandler. When Jones stopped producing and got hurt, and Nelson and/others were put in at #2 and never were a threat OR forced us away from allowing Nelson and Chandler to roam the middle, our play drastically suffered. This was also the time that the 3rd and 4th injuries hit the OL, and when Fitz suffered his injury. The offense never recovered, Fitz didn't have time to exploit the whole field, the #2 wasnt a threat and suddenly Chandler and nelson were marginalized. It was pretty simple what happened, IMO.

This year, if the line holds up, and if Easley or Jones or Graham or Hagan can be a threat out of the #2 slot, we will see what you are seeing in the OTAs and what we saw the first 5-6 games last year. It should be even more exciting with the time to develop the offense in the off season, the addition of Lee to help Fitz and the Wildcat, and the emergence of Spiller. Not to mention the defense giving the offense better field position. There is a lot of reason to get excited about the middle of the field in the Bills offense.

Good point; the guy was effective (and getting better) until he got hurt.