OTA Report Day 5

Thanks for the link. IIRC, Shep handled much of the defensive calls as the season progressed last year. That and based on some things that Barnett has said, leads me to believe he has a real head for the game. I hope he can bring the physical aspects to match.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the link. IIRC, Shep handled much of the defensive calls as the season progressed last year. That and based on some things that Barnett has said, leads me to believe he has a real head for the game. I hope he can bring the physical aspects to match.

GO BILLS!!!

My concern was reverse of yours. I think the kid is a big hitter inside the hash marks but worried about his ability to get an angle outside the tackles. If he can call out the plays this season without too much help from Nick he will be alright this year.

But all reports are positive right now for the kid. Listened to his interview and his southern drawl and he is a good kid for sure. and i am rooting for him.

Notes:

I forgot how much I hate VY throwing motion. Everything is thrown like a chuck. I wonder how much Lee is working with him; or if he's saving that for [if he makes the roster] the season.

I think there is going to be a lot of injuries this year across the league on rookies, especially, as they get used to being "hit." All of this practice may be showing them the speed of the NFL we always hear about from rookies but it is not showing the velocity.

The running game will suffer early across the league, you just can't practice running without pads; teams with established running backs will have an easier time with this as they are accustomed to it. Thus, I expect Spiller to have regressed a little early in the season and catch up quickly. (Fantasy players I bet people will cut him if they draft him by week 3, then by week 6 he'll be getting #'s.)

Gilmore had a WTF moment on that Easley catched where he instantly looked back, looked for the coaches, etc. I always catch these because my JH coach was big on this. You run a play, you mess up and I know it because you look at me.

I also worry that these practices will take some of the focus off the guys who can just flat out run. We need guys who can run like a freight train, not a gazelle.

Notes:

I forgot how much I hate VY throwing motion. Everything is thrown like a chuck. I wonder how much Lee is working with him; or if he's saving that for [if he makes the roster] the season.

I think there is going to be a lot of injuries this year across the league on rookies, especially, as they get used to being "hit." All of this practice may be showing them the speed of the NFL we always hear about from rookies but it is not showing the velocity.

The running game will suffer early across the league, you just can't practice running without pads; teams with established running backs will have an easier time with this as they are accustomed to it. Thus, I expect Spiller to have regressed a little early in the season and catch up quickly. (Fantasy players I bet people will cut him if they draft him by week 3, then by week 6 he'll be getting #'s.)

Gilmore had a WTF moment on that Easley catched where he instantly looked back, looked for the coaches, etc. I always catch these because my JH coach was big on this. You run a play, you mess up and I know it because you look at me.

I also worry that these practices will take some of the focus off the guys who can just flat out run. We need guys who can run like a freight train, not a gazelle.

It's only OTAs. And every team in the league has to play by the same rules when it comes to the number of practices in pads. I would think defensive players will have the same challenges as RBs when it comes to the feel of getting popped. It all evens out.

GO BILLS!!!

Notes:

QB coach Lee has always wanted to work with VY and he's doing just fine, Youngs got a cannon, looks similiar to Cam Newton when he throws in my opinion.

QB coach Lee has always wanted to work with VY and he's doing just fine, Youngs got a cannon, looks similiar to Cam Newton when he throws in my opinion.

Agreed. My major problem with V. Young is his emotional fortitude. -Or lack thereof. I've always known that the guy is flat-out talented. -If he can ever find a true gridiron face I think he could totally redeeem himself.

However, until then..... :thumbdown:

Edited by #34fan

Agreed. My major problem with V. Young is his emotional fortitude. -Or lack thereof. I've always known that the guy is flat-out talented. -If he can ever find a true gridiron face I think he could totally redeeem himself.

All the VY doubters and denigrators overlook one fundamental fact - VY is a proven winner with an overhelming success rate and converting more wins than losses.

Who really cares about Jeff Fisher anyway???

All the VY doubters and denigrators overlook one fundamental fact - VY is a proven winner with an overhelming success rate and converting more wins than losses.

As a starting QB, yes, that's exactly what we need.

As a backup QB we need someone who can contribute to the team in a lesser way, without the responsibility of leadership but the ability to become one, step in and take over the role of the starter. VY doesn't strike me as that kind of QB. For the record, neither does Thigpen.

The place I am working is hosting a Vince Young party tomorrow...with VY in Buffalo at OTA's I wonder if he will actually be there..it goes from 12pm-11:30pm...I believe there is some charity component to it.

I hope there is a lawsuit of NFLPA from players whose careers are ruined because NFLPA neglected to look out for the rookies who did not get as much practice in pads so get injured more easily in regular games. The NFLPA really looks out for interests of veterans more they do rookies. Should not be surprise since no rookies are in any positions of power.

The only problem I have with VY is that if we lose a couple in a row, then he could come out and go offat fitz or something. We just can't have him creating locker room turmoil

I guess it depends on how many in a row we're talking.

Very true. Hopefully maturity will help him in that area, but the Bills aren't tied to him if it doesn't.

That, and his ability to master the playbook off the field and make the right reads and progressions on the field.

he had the Titans playbook down evidently, he won a lot of games over there.

young>thigpen.

young may ell be.fitz.

sorry for this reality, haters.

but you are all right about one thing, Kelsay is servicable and 'quality depth'. And the Emporer IS wearing clothes, can't you see them?

I'm rooting for VY to do well too, but ALL qb's in the History of the NFL are 0-0..... Siting a "record" to an individual is an insult to the team and to coaching. I've always hated when the media states things like that about players.

I'm rooting for VY to do well too, but ALL qb's in the History of the NFL are 0-0..... Siting a "record" to an individual is an insult to the team and to coaching. I've always hated when the media states things like that about players.

& I hate when people downgrade how important the QB position is. In today's NFL, if you don't have reliable triggerman under center you really don't have a chance. I compare the importance of a QB to a pitcher in baseball or a goalie in hockey. Yeah they are not the whole team but it makes every part of the game alot easier if you have a probowler/allstar at that position.

& I hate when people downgrade how important the QB position is. In today's NFL, if you don't have reliable triggerman under center you really don't have a chance. I compare the importance of a QB to a pitcher in baseball or a goalie in hockey. Yeah they are not the whole team but it makes every part of the game alot easier if you have a probowler/allstar at that position.

well said...