Patriots Release Ochocinco

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet The patriots have released Chad Ochocinco, a source confirmed. Bad news for him. Good news for Patriots depth at WR

He is exactly the kind of WR we need (from a capability standpoint) for the next 1-2 seasons. What concerns me is his underwhelming 2011 campaign. I wonder if it was an effect of just not 'getting' the BB/Brady offense. He always was a good to great athlete but not the smartest one. If Gailey thinks he has anything in the tank, we should grab him. He should do well in a #2 role, but again, is he washed up ?

Oh dear God, no (and I'm an atheist).

Why ?

Remember when they were god's gift to the gridiron when they signed him and Haynesworth?

I think the days of measuring the NFL by the Patriots* yardstick are coming to an end.

He is exactly the kind of WR we need (from a capability standpoint) for the next 1-2 seasons. What concerns me is his underwhelming 2011 campaign. I wonder if it was an effect of just not 'getting' the BB/Brady offense. He always was a good to great athlete but not the smartest one. If Gailey thinks he has anything in the tank, we should grab him. He should do well in a #2 role, but again, is he washed up ?

Why ?

You've lost your damn mind.

Remember when they were god's gift to the gridiron when they signed him and Haynesworth?

I think the days of measuring the NFL by the Patriots* yardstick are coming to an end.

And yet the still made it to the Superbowl.

He couldn't make himself even remotely productive in the most prolific passing offense in the NFL.

That enough reason for ya?

Why would you ever throw out wide when you have Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker working between the hash marks? Brady plays Captain Checkdown ball, and you can when you have that corp. If Jerry Rice were playing WIDE Receiver in that offense today he wouldn't do much either.

That being said. Do you really want Ocho Cinco rubbing shoulders with TJ Graham or Stevie Johnson? Let me first restate Chad "OchoCinco" Johnson is not a thug, he has done nothing wrong, he is simply a publicity whore.

I wouldn't hate the idea of signing him. I wouldn't love it though.

WR#2 is a weakpoint and I don't know if there is one starter in the whole mix of "The Legend of" Marcus Easley, TJ Whathisname, David "Hands of Stone" Jones, Derek "I'm not Mario" Hagan, Naaman "Homer" Rossevelt or Kamar "Practice Squad" Aiken, adding Chad Eight Five only adds one more question mark.

I'd rather see what we have on the roster through extra reps than bring a player with the "arrow pointing down."

Edited by Why So Serious?