Ex-Eagles Pres. Seeking Bills Ownership

For what it's worth I don't believe it's an auction in the sense people are thinking. Groups will put offers in and the "highest" will be accepted.

If Ralph's wishes are to keep the team in buffalo, his family may view 800 million from Jim Kelly more than 1 billion from some slapdick that will just move the team and crush a city and region.

This is just my opinion but I don't see buffalo in jeopardy of being moved.

This ---^

this isn't some corner store auction deal going to happen. This will be huge. It's going to half to be approved by about a half dozen people/groups in order to happen.

First- the new potential owner/s

Second- the Estate

Third- the NFL

Fourth- the majority of owners around the league

Fifth- maybe between second and third, but the City. If it's a move to another City then it's half this process all over again, the NFL approving it, the Owners approving the move, the new City accepting it, the Fans and more importantly the taxpayers willing to do that, the new ownership group, or possibly the City having to approve a $500M relocation fee, plus another couple hundred million just to make the move.

If it's the City of Buffalo you many of the same arguments, however you won't have a $500M relocation fee. Instead of a couple hundred million to move the team physically you have a couple hundred million in stadium upgrades. Which, unless Ralph happens to die in the next few months will already be approved and upgraded. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. And let's not forget about what happened to the Sabres and how messed up that deal was. Anyone remember Mark Hamister? It was a done deal until things got into the public and descision makers got involved.

Of course these are just the obvious people/groups involved. If you thought the Sabres were a messy situation when the Regis's were removed then you have no idea what were in for when the Bills are on the market.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say Pegula makes his move first.

This is my dream owner for the Bills. I wonder, since they both have ties to Pennsylvania, if Banner could look to partner with Pegula?

As for Jim Kelly, I may just be taking a leap of blind faith here, but the way he talks abou the Bills staying put in Buffalo makes me think he knows something more than the rest of us, about what is going on behind the scenes, with Mr Wilson. Kelly has gone beyond the "I will do everything in my power to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo" to "The Bills will stay in Buffalo"

Not to minimize the potential for the Bills to move, but what's it been about 20 years since the Raiders moved back to Oakland? You've got to ask the question, if it's so strategically important for the NFL to have a franchise in the 2nd biggest media market in the country why is it taking so many years to act on? Clearly it's not really a priority of the league's ownership. If it was so important to put a franchise in LA there be one there now. There must be some significant opposition working under the radar here and if I had to guess it's the possibility of the Raiders moving back or the Chargers moving north at some point.

You've got to ask the question, if it's so strategically important for the NFL to have a franchise in the 2nd biggest media market in the country why is it taking so many years to act on? Clearly it's not really a priority of the league's ownership.

I think it's strategically more important for the NFL to have the THREAT of moving a team to LA more than actually having a team in LA. It gives existing teams all sorts of leverage. Look what just happened in Minnesota.

That said, when this topic pops up every 3-6 months or so, it's a serious bummer. My head says that, for many reasons, it won't happen. But my heart has that twinge of doubt and fear. As fans we have had our hearts ripped out of our chests and stomped on so many times before.

There are two serious groups that will be ready to purchase the Buffalo Bills when the proper time comes - one of them not affiliated with Jim Kelly. Both possess the necessary funds to purchase the team. Both of them fully intend to keep the Bills in Western New York. One of the groups intends to be ambitious regarding a new stadium, which they want closer to the U.S.-Canada border. The third group has a casual interest in purchasing the team, also with intentions to keep the team in Buffalo.

There are no talks between Banner and the Bills. Won't happen.

This is my dream owner for the Bills. I wonder, since they both have ties to Pennsylvania, if Banner could look to partner with Pegula?

As for Jim Kelly, I may just be taking a leap of blind faith here, but the way he talks abou the Bills staying put in Buffalo makes me think he knows something more than the rest of us, about what is going on behind the scenes, with Mr Wilson. Kelly has gone beyond the "I will do everything in my power to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo" to "The Bills will stay in Buffalo"

To add some credence to this, I used to work with a member of the Kelly family and about a year and a half ago we were talking about the Bills and their potential to move out of Buffalo once Ralph passes. This individual just kinda smiled at us during the conversation and let everyone else voice their opinion before they finally said "You guys can stop worrying. Without going into it, the Bills won't be leaving Buffalo".

More bluster from the Kelly clique? Totally a possibility...but still interesting.

To add some credence to this, I used to work with a member of the Kelly family and about a year and a half ago we were talking about the Bills and their potential to move out of Buffalo once Ralph passes. This individual just kinda smiled at us during the conversation and let everyone else voice their opinion before they finally said "You guys can stop worrying. Without going into it, the Bills won't be leaving Buffalo".

More bluster from the Kelly clique? Totally a possibility...but still interesting.

For the quotation in your post - precisely.

I'd like to avoid getting into specifics, too. I know it will be seen as a "cop-out," but I think I have provided the most important piece of information Bills' fans are seeking.

Edited by Patience

JMO but I don’t think this will matter much...LA will pick up most of that tab.

That is a good fix. :thumbsup:

LA won't pick up a penny of that fee. But AEG might.

This ---^

this isn't some corner store auction deal going to happen. This will be huge. It's going to half to be approved by about a half dozen people/groups in order to happen.

First- the new potential owner/s

Second- the Estate

Third- the NFL

Fourth- the majority of owners around the league

Fifth- maybe between second and third, but the City. If it's a move to another City then it's half this process all over again, the NFL approving it, the Owners approving the move, the new City accepting it, the Fans and more importantly the taxpayers willing to do that, the new ownership group, or possibly the City having to approve a $500M relocation fee, plus another couple hundred million just to make the move.

If it's the City of Buffalo you many of the same arguments, however you won't have a $500M relocation fee. Instead of a couple hundred million to move the team physically you have a couple hundred million in stadium upgrades. Which, unless Ralph happens to die in the next few months will already be approved and upgraded. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. And let's not forget about what happened to the Sabres and how messed up that deal was. Anyone remember Mark Hamister? It was a done deal until things got into the public and descision makers got involved.

Of course these are just the obvious people/groups involved. If you thought the Sabres were a messy situation when the Regis's were removed then you have no idea what were in for when the Bills are on the market.

The owners will approve a move in one second flat. The NFL is dying to put a team in LA. In fact, they want two. And they don't want to expand to do it. The top 5 candidates appear to be the Chargers, the Raiders, the Rams, Jacksonville and the Bills, probably in that order.

On a more positive note, once the LA slots are filled, there really isn't another city that makes much sense for a move, other than Toronto. And there's not much sense in moving 90 miles, into a market that doesn't appear to be that excited about an NFL franchise, and where there would be loads of lawsuits and roadblocks thrown up by the CFL and its allies.

The best scenario for Buffalo would be for the Rams and, say, the Chargers to commit to LA before Ralph dies.

As a parallel to this fear of moving the Bills to Los Angeles if Banner did become owner, I give to you all Walter O'Malley and the Dodgers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/21/entertainment/et-book21

Quite an interesting synopsis, and a background of the story of the move of the Dodgers from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, you can never get a complete idea as to who is the villain in stadium negotiations.

Why take a chance? I say NO to the Banner idea and go with people with WNY ties who can get it done.

Wishful thnking. Even the deep pocket people in LA that already have the money are having a hard time getting their stadium done and identifying a team to purchase. And they have been working at this for a while. This guy doesn't even have the money and he has a vague notion of what he wants. He has no shot. He will never be an owner. Thanks for making some noise. Maybe his radio show was dropping in the ratings and he needed something to talk about.

I think it's strategically more important for the NFL to have the THREAT of moving a team to LA more than actually having a team in LA. It gives existing teams all sorts of leverage. Look what just happened in Minnesota.

That said, when this topic pops up every 3-6 months or so, it's a serious bummer. My head says that, for many reasons, it won't happen. But my heart has that twinge of doubt and fear. As fans we have had our hearts ripped out of our chests and stomped on so many times before.

There are two serious groups that will be ready to purchase the Buffalo Bills when the proper time comes - one of them not affiliated with Jim Kelly. Both possess the necessary funds to purchase the team. Both of them fully intend to keep the Bills in Western New York. One of the groups intends to be ambitious regarding a new stadium, which they want closer to the U.S.-Canada border. The third group has a casual interest in purchasing the team, also with intentions to keep the team in Buffalo.

There are no talks between Banner and the Bills. Won't happen.

For the quotation in your post - precisely.

I'd like to avoid getting into specifics, too. I know it will be seen as a "cop-out," but I think I have provided the most important piece of information Bills' fans are seeking.

I think your screen name sums up what we need to have as Bills Fans.

I think their are too many factors against the Bills leaving WNY. The first is Goodell has spoken about trying to make the NFL more of an international game. Canada having the CFL plus its proximity to the US seems like the first logical expansion area as the Bills are trying to do with the Toronto Series. If you are trying to expand into Canada does it make sense for the NFL to move a team located two hours away from Toronto, its largest city?

Also there is the political factors. One of the National NFL Writers, perhaps Peter King, spoke about teams possibly moving and mentioned Buffalo would be hard to move because it has powerful politicians on its side. Senator Schumer comes to mind.

Then there is the Raiders, they still hold exclusive rights to the LA Market and could fight any other team moving there. This could have changed with the passing of Al Davis, but who knows.

Plus if the Chargers were to move to LA they would only be 120 miles away, which is a shorter drive than Syracuse to Buffalo.

LA won't pick up a penny of that fee. But AEG might.

The owners will approve a move in one second flat. The NFL is dying to put a team in LA. In fact, they want two. And they don't want to expand to do it. The top 5 candidates appear to be the Chargers, the Raiders, the Rams, Jacksonville and the Bills, probably in that order.

On a more positive note, once the LA slots are filled, there really isn't another city that makes much sense for a move, other than Toronto. And there's not much sense in moving 90 miles, into a market that doesn't appear to be that excited about an NFL franchise, and where there would be loads of lawsuits and roadblocks thrown up by the CFL and its allies.

The best scenario for Buffalo would be for the Rams and, say, the Chargers to commit to LA before Ralph dies.

AEG would have to flip the bill in a move that's for sure. The state of California is just as broke as NY.

As far as the owners and the NFL approving a move I think your crazy. I'm not saying it wouldn't be done or approved, just that I don't think it's a no brainer like you think. The NFL has to play a balancing act between keeping fans happy, making everyone (all teams, owners, fans, cities) feel that the NFL won't just sell anyone out for a buck, make the owners happy with the thoughts of more money but assuring each owner that this won't happen to then when things go bad. And the owners have to buy into all this BS.

At the end of the day, the owners are making their wealth on the tv deal. Not selling season tickets, parking fees and vending. Yes, LA is a huge market, but they have failed, miserably twice already. Everyones got to buy into this time being different. Personally I think it will succeed this time because the NFL has gotten away from the game and made it an attraction. But you still have to sell everyone on that. And by selling the other small markets on the descision it gives them fhe feeling of getting stabbed in the backs of the Jerry Jones and Snyders in the future for a bigger paycheck. Like I said, I think it would probably get approved from the owner standpoint but far from a lock. I rhino the NFL would be 50/50 on the descision. I think the city and governments would have a hard time approving another 1/4Billion for the move as well.

Listen, rummy, I'm gonna say it plain and simple. Where'd you pinch the hooch? Is some blind tiger jerking suds on the side?

We can't choose what laws to obey. If we could, then I'd kill everybody that looked at me cockeyed.

As a parallel to this fear of moving the Bills to Los Angeles if Banner did become owner, I give to you all Walter O'Malley and the Dodgers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/21/entertainment/et-book21

Quite an interesting synopsis, and a background of the story of the move of the Dodgers from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, you can never get a complete idea as to who is the villain in stadium negotiations.

Why take a chance? I say NO to the Banner idea and go with people with WNY ties who can get it done.

I really cant even take talk about stadiums -the Ralph is fine to watch a game in - no public money needed. Where is the K on you avatar for Kelsay?

"He does not know if any teams are currently "for sale" but says that they won't target teams that are currently "doing well." Their interest in a team will likely be "driven by their stadium situation." He's also not opposed to moving a team to LA."

Yeah, NO Thanks.

One, were are due to have a decade of dominance so that puts us out and two, anybody not opposed to moving to la is out for the money and a douche.

AEG would have to flip the bill in a move that's for sure. The state of California is just as broke as NY.

As far as the owners and the NFL approving a move I think your crazy. I'm not saying it wouldn't be done or approved, just that I don't think it's a no brainer like you think. The NFL has to play a balancing act between keeping fans happy, making everyone (all teams, owners, fans, cities) feel that the NFL won't just sell anyone out for a buck, make the owners happy with the thoughts of more money but assuring each owner that this won't happen to then when things go bad. And the owners have to buy into all this BS.

At the end of the day, the owners are making their wealth on the tv deal. Not selling season tickets, parking fees and vending. Yes, LA is a huge market, but they have failed, miserably twice already. Everyones got to buy into this time being different. Personally I think it will succeed this time because the NFL has gotten away from the game and made it an attraction. But you still have to sell everyone on that. And by selling the other small markets on the descision it gives them fhe feeling of getting stabbed in the backs of the Jerry Jones and Snyders in the future for a bigger paycheck. Like I said, I think it would probably get approved from the owner standpoint but far from a lock. I rhino the NFL would be 50/50 on the descision. I think the city and governments would have a hard time approving another 1/4Billion for the move as well.

Why this urban myth continues to make the rounds is beyond me. Probably the same mental deficiency that keeps people passing along the myth that Obama is a Kenyan muslim. So let me say this again: The LA Rams were a huge success in LA for decades. LA often led the league in attendance. But after Carroll Rosenbloom died, his widow, who some say had him murdered, began doing that old owner thing of blackmailing one city with offers from another in order to get a new stadium at LA's expense. When that didn't work, they left the 90,000 seat Colisseum for Anaheim's 50,000 or so seats, while tucking a nice chunk of money from the Orange County citizens into Georgia's girdle. And the attendance continued to be sellouts. But Georgia and her crew tried and tried to squeeze more out of the guvmint by playing one city off against another which finally ended with one of the great deals (for an owner) of its time. And so off the Rams went to St. Louis. The only way you could say LA failed was the city refused to give in to her demands.

As to the Raiders, they initially started out with large crowds in the Colisseum. But before long, Al Davis started grumbling about the stadium, the deal, blah blah blah. When he couldn't shake down Los Angeles any further, he started making deals with other cities around the area, then reneging on them, and on and on, until he'd created a toxic mess for himself. When he couldn't squeeze the locals any longer, he ran back to Oakland (which gave him a terrific sweetheart deal). But he never again had the kinds of crowds he had in Los Angeles.

One other thing: the Raiders went out of their way in LA to attract the thug crowd -- Bloods, Crips, Hells Angels, ex-cons, and any other sociopathic subgroup you think of. By the time the Raiders fled back to Oakland, sane people no longer went near the Colisseum.