Kelsay, Johnson, or Edwards, who gets cut?

TPS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Edwards has been lining up with the 1st team in Kyle’s absence, can you tell me who the 2nd team DTs have been? I’m curious to see what’s going on with Carrington. He was a high draft pick a few years ago that we’ve moved all over the place and I don’t recall him really making many plays so far in his brief career. This is a make or break year for him and Troup and it sounds like they are competing against each other for one of the last D-Line spots.

First team snap in June mean squat...

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

If it is the "new" Bills who want to win, Edwards will be gone. If the old Bills creep in and it is about money, then Kelsay might be gone. Kelsay may have been the best player on the Bills defense last year, or at least in the top 3.

<sigh>

I never meant this as a bash Kelsay thread. The issue I see is that they have a lot of talent on the Dline, and they will have to make a choice between keeping a quality vet vs. a younger guy with potential. It's going to be a very difficult decision...

I think highly of Dwan as do coaches it seems. If it's money and i have no idea if it even matters. Johnson and Edwards go.

Its a new feeling having to consider letting a good player go. I hope i can adjust. But agreed we will keep a larger staff of d linemen and cut down at another position. Hopefull we can hide some guys on the practice squad till injuries rear up.

i am glad we have a gm and coaches to make these decisions because this years cuts are going to hurt feelings. mine.

<sigh>

all your sighs notithstanding, Kelsay would have been an ex-NFLer some years ago but for the BILLS WILLINGNESS TO PUT UP WITH HIS MEDIOCRITY for the sake of his evident locker-room attitude. He has been a loser on a loser defense for his entire career. Sometimes the stats lie... not in Kelsays case. he gets easily nudged behind the qb ALMOST every passing play, his run-stopping skills are not great either. the myth that he is serviceable that some others stick to so vehemently is just that, a myth. he sux. and he has su**ed for many years. enough already. let the quality depth go and energize someone elses locker-room, lets get a player who can play, in blo, this year.

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

Troup is gone.

Most people are thinking Edwards (as well as I am), but the fact of the matter is so far Edwards was lining up next to Marcell first while Kyle was out in camp. I have a feeling the coaching staff really like Edwards (especially Wannstedt with his comments about his quick feet) because the like lighter quicker fast DT's as opposed to the big plugger types

Dave likes DTs that are big and fast.

Dave likes DTs that are big and fast.

Which is... Dareus, Williams and Edwards.

Yet people will keep hammering that Edwards will be released. Clearly people didn't watch Bills football the last two years. Dwan is a big boy that can move.

all your sighs notithstanding, Kelsay would have been an ex-NFLer some years ago but for the BILLS WILLINGNESS TO PUT UP WITH HIS MEDIOCRITY for the sake of his evident locker-room attitude. He has been a loser on a loser defense for his entire career. Sometimes the stats lie... not in Kelsays case. he gets easily nudged behind the qb ALMOST every passing play, his run-stopping skills are not great either. the myth that he is serviceable that some others stick to so vehemently is just that, a myth. he sux. and he has su**ed for many years. enough already. let the quality depth go and energize someone elses locker-room, lets get a player who can play, in blo, this year.

<yawn>

I never meant this as a bash Kelsay thread. The issue I see is that they have a lot of talent on the Dline, and they will have to make a choice between keeping a quality vet vs. a younger guy with potential. It's going to be a very difficult decision...

I completely understand; I'm just going by what every coach and player has said about Kelsay.

Which is... Dareus, Williams and Edwards.

Yet people will keep hammering that Edwards will be released. Clearly people didn't watch Bills football the last two years. Dwan is a big boy that can move.

The thing is, however much Wannstache might like to he is not gonna be able to keep 10 or 11 DL as many have in their early (premature) 53 man rosters.

(Or as many OLmen either) They will need more DB and they will keep more players on offense esp. at WR, both those being injury-prone positions where a lot of players are on the field at once.

They will keep 7 or 8 (think 2011 Giants), with perhaps a rookie or 2 on the PS.

Thus someone we would rather keep, is gonna go.

Edwards is a beast, he's also playing with a cadaver bone in his neck, he's lost time to injury, and he's one of our higher-paid players.

Johnson was playing hellishly out of position last year as an OLB, he's also a big guy who can move.

I think Heard and Troup are gone unless they really really really light it up in training camp, but I've been mistaken before. If finances enter in, either Johnson or Edwards will go.

Kelsay doesn't deserve the slanging he takes here, he's not a bad player who was also hellishly out of position as an OLB, I don't think he's as good as Edwards or Johnson but 1) he clearly has the Favre on Wilson or someone high up in the org, 2) he stays while we're uncertain how much Merriman can contribute and how many downs Anderson will play.

Kelsay is no different that a lot of other DE's in the league. A perfect comparison is Vanden Bosch. Vanden Bosch is decent. You stick him on the same line as Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee and he's suddenly a top-10 DE, hot free agent commodity.

I would not be shocked if Kelsay has a career year this year, playing next to MW, MD, and KW. Maybe even double digit sacks.

Kelsay is no different that a lot of other DE's in the league. A perfect comparison is Vanden Bosch. Vanden Bosch is decent. You stick him on the same line as Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee and he's suddenly a top-10 DE, hot free agent commodity.

I would not be shocked if Kelsay has a career year this year, playing next to MW, MD, and KW. Maybe even double digit sacks.

this is a valid point JR ! wouldnt it be great for Chris to finally get "some" after all these years of suckiness. He could then be able to retire on top with pride. If i had a wish come true that would be one of them, let him get some glory before he retires. Lord knows he deserves some small glory to take away from the game for bringing his lunch pail everyday all these painful years.

imho