other than score, most important stat to dictate wins

for me, it's a tie between TOP and off/def 3rd down conversion because they go hand in hand

keeping a drive alive and killing an opponent's drive.

the bills have been dreadful at this. in this 12 years of garbage, i've noticed the bills can't seem to convert third and short and can't seem to stop third and long.

maybe it comes down to a receiver and a pass rush, but for some reason i always though it was more than that.

any thoughts?

for me, it's a tie between TOP and off/def 3rd down conversion because they go hand in hand

keeping a drive alive and killing an opponent's drive.

the bills have been dreadful at this. in this 12 years of garbage, i've noticed the bills can't seem to convert third and short and can't seem to stop third and long.

maybe it comes down to a receiver and a pass rush, but for some reason i always though it was more than that.

any thoughts?

3rd and long has been killing the Bills for years now. It's at the point when its 3rd and forever, I can call the play the other team will make to convert. Usually its the corners giving to much room and letting the WR make the catch. Or worse no one covering the WR and its an easy 1st down. Pathetic to say the least.

What makes a team excel at 3rd down conversions on offense or stops on defense ? After all it's just an outcome like the score. Need to understand why and how before you can improve on your #'s

Getting that 3rd down stop on D is all about Pass Rush. Which is why we have been so bad at it, as Fan In San Diego points out. Hopefully, with the re-vamped DL, that will be changing...

I'll go with a tie between turnover differential and 3rd down conversion % (both offense and defense).

3rd down % leads directly to TOP, which others have mentioned.

those would be mine too - perhaps simplify the latter to differential as well

I'll go with a tie between turnover differential and 3rd down conversion % (both offense and defense).

3rd down % leads directly to TOP, which others have mentioned.

I, too, agree with these. Turnover differential was easily proven last year in the first 3rd of the season.

Average yards per attempt against the run.

If your opponent can't run, they are forced to become one-dimmensional and, more often than not, you got 'em when that happens.