Bills Still Looking to Bring in Players??

Very amusing, yes - apparently anyone with 'net access can be a 'journalist' these days!

But no need to google - i wouldn't waste the time for a B/R piece - you just click on the author's name in the original B/R article

(I have a feeling if more folks did that before citing B/R articles, we'd see a whole lot less of them cited here on TSW)

Isn't there a TSW rule about never starting a thread that cites the Bleacher Report?

Yes, and it, like most TSW rules, is consistently ignored. :ph34r:

Seems like a simple matter for technology. Just block the silly site completely.

The punishment should be a few days suspension leading up to being ground up and put in the freezer for constant abusers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:wallbash:

Son, if your idea of 'the outside world' includes any opinions from Bleacher Report - or from young, 19-year-old, aspiring-to-be-something-but-don't-quite-know-what-yet Robby Quinn - you need to stop embarrassing yourself by posting such nonsense on TSW.

Link - Meet your learned author, Robby Quinn

Now now, Mr. Quinn is dressed nice

Unless there is another draft in the near future that I haven't heard about then what alternative is there for a team to add players before camp?

There are many unsigned players out there who still want to play. Burress being one of them. (Not saying I want Bills to sign him.)

I would consider E.Sims and V.Schiancoe. The Bills right now aren't going to get quality starters at this point in free agency, if a guy is on the market odds are he has warts and won't likely step in and start.

But V.Schiancoe to me fits a need at backup Tightend and E.Sims helps the depth at a very thin LB core. Those two would add some depth to the team and help tweak the roster a little. Nothing dramatic but two nice moves to fine tune the roster.

Schiancoe is a good receiving and blocking TE and would be excellent depth/two TE set....he was made expendable to the Vikings because of their previous two drafts and his age - I dont understand why we HAVENT brought in any other TEs this offseason, even if Chandler some how learns to be fast and athletic and sets records at TE, it can never hurt to have another (or at least a backup - duh)

other than that, I dont think id take a look at the garbage on that list

I know this is a typo and I'm not ridiculing by any means, I just think it's funny. With some of the guys on our D/O line I'm sure some of them DID eat more then the washed up old guys. Mike Williams doesn't count, he didn't give himself a chance to get washed up.

That is not exactly true Mike Williams washed up with a harpoon in him the day we drafted him.

See article below from the Mighty Quinn. I know many of you don't care much for the Bleacher Report. However, as Quinn points out, even though the Bills have done a fantastic job this off season in improving the team, they still need to look to do more to be able to compete with the pats for the AFC East title.

Here are the five players that Quinn is recommending that the Bills bring in for a look see:

1. WR P. Burress

2. TE V. Schiancoe

3. OLB E. Sims

4. MLB EJ Henderson

5. OC J. Brown.

I have said myself that the Bills still need to address the WR/TE/OLB/LT positions and have recommeded Burress and Schiancoe as well. I wouldn't be opposed to the Bills bringing in all five guys mentioned above to have them compete for a roster spot.

The Giants are said to be interested in signing WR P. Burress to replace the injured H. Nicks.

Adding guys like the one mentioned above will put Buffalo squarely in New England's league.

To give you some idea of how the outside world sees the Bills in relation to the Pats at this point in time, one publication has the Pats ranked #2 overall (Giants are #1) with the Bills ranked #10 overall (based upon the terrific off season that the Bills have had (easily the best in the league). You start adding veteran players in key positions where the Bills need still need help and that gap begins to close very quickly.

5 Players the Bills Should Bring in.

Would You Rather?

Pay for players on the downward side and close to the bottom of the slope in their careers, or pay players with solid potential, just starting the upward slope of their careers?

It comes down to this, do you want: the left-overs from the past, all good players who have had their day, but clearly players past their prime? These are players who are living off their wisdom and grit; again, good, but not something you can build on. You bring in these players when you are a top run Super Bowl team with an immediate hole to fill. They're stop-gap solutions, not build-on solutions.

I don't see the BIlls in position to take these second tier answers. Yes, they can produce, and would be to a degree, good players.

However, if the BIlls want to really develop and make progress, they need to identify players they think have good potential, and who are on the way-up in their careers. At this stage of the teams development, younger, players with good potential, are a better value than, older, plug-a-hole, for a season type players.

In this case, go with potential over experience: the current production will be about the same, but the future potential is much higher in the "younger" players.

My Opinion.

Edited by CSBill

Really I don't get why the OP even linked BR instead of just saying "hey what about these guys?"

You do realize we have guys like Byrd, Levitre, Wood, and David Nelson to lock up over the next 2 years right.....

I'm sure adding a guy like plaxico or shiancoe would really hamstring our salary cap. I'm not wanting them either but come on...

Edited by NoSaint

Very amusing, yes - apparently anyone with 'net access can be a 'journalist' these days!

But no need to google - i wouldn't waste the time for a B/R piece - you just click on the author's name in the original B/R article

(I have a feeling if more folks did that before citing B/R articles, we'd see a whole lot less of them cited here on TSW)

Im thinking that the OP (ChanOverChin) writes for bleacher report. He seems to link their articles often. Only those that write for B/R think it's a reputable source.

Edited by Beastly Dareus

You do realize we have guys like Byrd, Levitre, Wood, and David Nelson to lock up over the next 2 years right.....

Sure we do. And that is cap management. Say the FO agrees that a vet WR or LB is available and will fit our scheme well. I would think these players (presumably cut due to other team's cap issues) should be available at a reasonable price.

We do need to sign all of those you listed and we will cut some players ourselves which will be a surprise. Trick is that we need to shore up weak areas and maintain areas where depth (good mix of youth and vet) is available. The obvious (only?) area is along the DL where players such as Spencer Johnson may be cut to make room.

All this is ofcourse speculation but I am seeking to answer your question about how we can bring in help for areas which are weak now and then proceed to manage the cap over the next year

Buddy has done a pretty good job over the last few years in bringing in available players who end up filling needs for us and playing well, and costing little. Despite the Mario signing, the Stevie signing, and even the Fitz signing, I don't believe the Bills F.O. is in WIN NOW mode, as some people suggest - don't get me wrong, certainly it is time for Buffalo to start winning, and players or coaches who impede that progress might lose their jobs - I think the time for excuses is gone - but, I also think Nix came into the position with an idea about rebuilding this team through the draft. He's had some good players come in through the draft that were able to step in and play, and he has guys who look promising, and guys who look to have maybe needed a year or two; all those players need playing time. So, I don't think Nix is going to bring in so many Vets as to create a situation where it is really Win This Year. I think he's thinking more of having the Bills GROW into a perennial winner, with talent that comes up through the draft, and supplementing holes only occasionally through F.A.

So, my guess is Nix will wait and see what the young LB's and WR's can do before he goes out and tries to sign someone. You never know, we might be pleasantly surprised. I know I"m really looking forward to seeing these young guys play: Bradham, Carder, Easley, Graham, Sanders, and Moats.

Schiancoe is a good receiving and blocking TE and would be excellent depth/two TE set....he was made expendable to the Vikings because of their previous two drafts and his age - I dont understand why we HAVENT brought in any other TEs this offseason, even if Chandler some how learns to be fast and athletic and sets records at TE, it can never hurt to have another (or at least a backup - duh)

other than that, I dont think id take a look at the garbage on that list

Because for whatever reason Chan Gailey doesn't utilize the TE very often in his offense as a receiving target, and never has. I'm kinda surprised that Chandler saw as many passes as he did last season. Then looking at the amount of targets to each Bills receiver and the actual catches the Bills should be throwing to Chandler every chance they get.

But yea I agree, Schiancoe was a favorite outlet for Brett Farve 11 TD's in 2009. The problem is he turns 32 in June and from what I've read he wants to be paid like he is a top 5 TE, and with only 5 TD's the last 2 years, he isn't even close. The Vikings chose to let him walk as they signed John Carlson away from the Seahawks, who in turn chose to sign Kellen Winslow.

The Bills currently have 6 TE's on the roster, and Scott Chandler at 3 years experience has the most experience of all of them.

It's to bad the Bills don't play some hard scrimmages in the off season to see if any of these young guys can actually play or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard a lot of people say the Edwards has signed for a lot more the Johnson and therefore should be cut.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, or information regarding differential cap hit for them. But, I did not mention Edwards because we have yet to see how KWilliams comes from injury, if Troup can even be a depth player and if Heard can progress. Edwards looks to me to be better suited as a DT than Spencer Johnson. As of now, the DL is a strength and smart cuts are what are called for (should we need the cap space)

It's to bad the Bills don't play some hard scrimmages in the off season to see if any of these young guys can actually play or not.

NFLPA eliminated almost all contact in off-season; only contract they like is when defenses have bounties on offense players.