NO Problems on Offense IF..............

................the Bills realize that they still need a few players.

Been-a-chick is saying to himself, "You done good Nix, but just like always, not quite good enough." And he would be right.

The Bills need to fill a hole at OLB, which the Pats will exploit if they don't. The Bills are not dominant enough on offense. They need to protect Fitz' blind side w/ someone other than a rookie. They need a big WR to create a matchup problem and they need another quality TE to provide balance so the Pats can't double team our best players, which is what they are prone to do.

OLB: Barnett is very good. The rookies are not ready. Moats and Batten are not well suited to play OLB in a 4-3 alignment. That leaves Morrison. Maybe he's as good as Barnett, but why not bring in a vet OLB who you know can be a productive player at OLB in the 4-3 and also provide some leadership. Bring in McIntoch or Farrior to at least compete with Morrison. The Bills look to be pretty solid everywhere else on defense.

WR: Need someone like P. Burress. Besides St. Johnson, no other WR on the roster can create a matchup problem. Burress' size, athleticism, and ability to catch the ball over the top and in jump ball situation will force teams to double him at times, which means the uncoverable St. Johnson will be open almost all the time. That means trouble for the opposing defense.

TE: Need someone like Schiancoe or Shockey. Chandler is an excellent player, but the other TEs on the roster are absolute scrubs.

LT: I pray that Glenn is the answer at LT, but he probably needs a year to get acclimated. In the meantime, I say sign a stud LT like M. McNeil for 1-2 years and let Glenn get his feet wet in the NFL as our starting RG. That might hurt somebody's feelings, but it might also help to keep Fitz healthy for the entire season, which is absolutely essential if the Bills hope to make the playoffs this year. Why would the Bills take a chance like that??

With the above additions, and if Fitz plays well, I think the Bills could very well win the AFC East, and thus, make the playoffs. Here would be the final 53 man roster:

QB: Fitzpatrick/Young/B. Smith

RB: Jackson/Spiller/Choice (B. Smith)

FB: McIntyre

TE: Chandler/Schiancoe

WR: St. Johnson/Burress/Easley/Nelson/Graham (B. Smith)

OT: McNeil/Pears/Hairston/Sanders

OG: Levitre/Glenn/Urbik/Rheinhart

OC: Wood (Urbik)

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

LS: Sanborn

DE: Ma. Williams/Anderson/Merriman/Kelsay (Sp. Johnson/Carrington)

DT: K. Williams/Dareus/Edwards/Troup/Sp. Johnson/Carrington

OLB: Barnett/McIntoch/Morrison/Bradham/Moats (Scott)

MLB: Sheppard/Carder

CB: Gilmore/A. Williams/McGee/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers

SS: Wilson/Scott

FS: Byrd/Searcy

Some notes:

1. Would have to cut a good player to keep Potter.

2. Moats is too good of a pass rusher to cut.

3. B. Smith will show how valuable he is this year.

4. This is a top 10 defense, maybe better, if Merriman plays all year long.

5. Wilson/Byrd form one of the top safety duos in the entire league.

6. The starting O-line of McNeil/Levitre/Wood/Glenn/Pears could be stellar.

7. Should be exciting to see Gilmore/A. Williams as the starting corners.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marcus McNeil is such a stud that he is currently unemployed. Makes sense.

He's such a stud that even the guy that drafted him in San Diego wanted nothing to do with him after our starting LT walked in free agency.

He's such a stud that we preferred a rookie and a 2nd year player to compete for starting LT over him.

Edited by Bangarang

He can still play. Nix is trying to determine his long term health. In other words, can he make it through an entire season with back and knee problems??

Most likely McNeil wants too much money. As the summer moves along mcneil's leverage will decline.

Nix was smart to draft a LT prospect like Glenn.....absolutely. Does that mean he's ready to play the most important position on the O-line?? If he is, fine. But if he's not, which is most likely the case, then Fitz either won't make it through nthe season or will have to play injured.....and we all know how well that turned out.

Why not add McNeil to the mix if he's healthy??

Marcus McNeil is such a stud that he is currently unemployed. Makes sense.

He's such a stud that even the guy that drafted him in San Diego wanted nothing to do with him after our starting LT walked in free agency.

He's such a stud that we preferred a rookie and a 2nd year player to compete for starting LT over him.

Spot on, you are 100% right!!

I'd potentially agree with you on OLB and WR ... IF.... you can pick up someone who's a clear improvement. Kind of like in 91 when the Bill's signed a FA named Lofton (or was it 92??) LT, you drafted Glenn #10 overall, let him take his lumps and learn on the field in the position you intend for him to play long term. If it's LT, then lat him start playing there now.

Been-a-chick is saying to himself, "You done good Nix, but just like always, not quite good enough." And he would be right.

The Bills need to fill a hole at OLB, which the Pats will exploit if they don't. The Bills are not dominant enough on offense. They need to protect Fitz' blind side w/ someone other than a rookie. They need a big WR to create a matchup problem and they need another quality TE to provide balance so the Pats can't double team our best players, which is what they are prone to do.

OLB: Barnett is very good. The rookies are not ready. Moats and Batten are not well suited to play OLB in a 4-3 alignment. That leaves Morrison. Maybe he's as good as Barnett, but why not bring in a vet OLB who you know can be a productive player at OLB in the 4-3 and also provide some leadership. Bring in McIntoch or Farrior to at least compete with Morrison. The Bills look to be pretty solid everywhere else on defense.

WR: Need someone like P. Burress. Besides St. Johnson, no other WR on the roster can create a matchup problem. Burress' size, athleticism, and ability to catch the ball over the top and in jump ball situation will force teams to double him at times, which means the uncoverable St. Johnson will be open almost all the time. That means trouble for the opposing defense.

TE: Need someone like Schiancoe or Shockey. Chandler is an excellent player, but the other TEs on the roster are absolute scrubs.

LT: I pray that Glenn is the answer at LT, but he probably needs a year to get acclimated. In the meantime, I say sign a stud LT like M. McNeil for 1-2 years and let Glenn get his feet wet in the NFL as our starting RG. That might hurt somebody's feelings, but it might also help to keep Fitz healthy for the entire season, which is absolutely essential if the Bills hope to make the playoffs this year. Why would the Bills take a chance like that??

With the above additions, and if Fitz plays well, I think the Bills could very well win the AFC East, and thus, make the playoffs. Here would be the final 53 man roster:

Some notes:

MorrIson will be fine at OLB. And if Easley or Graham can stay healthy, they'll provide the outside/deep speed the Bills lacked last year. Remember that the Bills put up points on the Pats last year, despite injuries.

I agree with all the key points you made. Starting with OLB, I like our starters (Morrison, Sheppard, Barnett). However, I have been saying since the draft we need some veteran depth players who have played in the NFL. We don't need someone spectacular, but 1-2 players that can be role players and play if a starter goes down. I like Moats and still believe he has potential to be a solid backup and situational player in this league. I am hoping that is at OLB. The few games I seen Bradham in at Florida State, I liked him. Hes a hard hitter and seemed to do everything well, I thought his strengths were run defense. Carder, Ive heard alot of good things about him, but have never seen him play. Other than those three for depth I don't think we have much. I know some people like Chris White and Danny Batten, but I don't think Batten will fit this defense and White, I never really noticed all that much. Bradham and Carder are rookies and mid-late round picks, I don't expect them to contribute right away. I would like to see the Bills release Dwan Edwards (overpaid and doesn't fit the 4-3) and replace him with a OLB and MLB who have NFL playing experience. Im still wondering if Shawne Merriman will play any OLB? In my opinion, it is the ONLY thing that concerns me about this defense.

Your other three positions. At WR, I agree we need a #2 but Chan and Buddy seem to like what we have. I do not think it is a glaring need at this moment. Im interested to see what Marcus Easley can do. Plus we usually have 3-4 WR sets. I would not be against the Bills signing a guy like Burress, but I am not a big fan of him. The TE position, I would love Shiancoe signing but I like Chandler and we do not use TE's except in the read zone it seemed. Plus Ive liked what I have read about Dorrin Dickerson and Fendi Onobun. And LT position, I liked what I seen from Hairston before his injury. After he came back, he seemed beaten alittle more though. I absolutely like Glenn and think he will develop into a great LT, I watched him in college and was always impressed how he mauled DE's. Im not overly considered with LT. If McNeil was healthy, I would snatch him up in a heartbeat and move Glenn to RG but his health is a huge concern.

So in conclusion, I would say LB concerns me the most. However, I would like a proven #2 WR. And a healthy and hungry McNeil would always be nice, but he isn't the same player he was 2 years ago.

I'd potentially agree with you on OLB and WR ... IF.... you can pick up someone who's a clear improvement. Kind of like in 91 when the Bill's signed a FA named Lofton (or was it 92??) LT, you drafted Glenn #10 overall, let him take his lumps and learn on the field in the position you intend for him to play long term. If it's LT, then lat him start playing there now.

Glenn was drafted #42 overall (2nd round) :D

Edited by Beastly Dareus

Actually, they drafted him in Rd 2, Ed. Gilmore was the pic a 10.

we drafted easley, jones, and graham for a reason. they all have major ability and need to be allowed to compete.

mcneil is done. glenn was a great great pick.

lee smith is a great blocking te, dorin dickerson will be that hb we need imo...

heard will beat out troup. imo, edwards, carrington, and heard our the 3 backup dts.

we are fine at lb.

There are only so many spots on the roster. We can't develop our young guys and sign every veteran free agent out there. Somewhere you have to make the choice do we want to give our young players the opportunity or throw another vet (who at this point may not be better than what we already have) in the mix that will take playing time and stunt growth. I understand the desire for veteran insurance but sometimes you need to let the young guys play, i.e. the Florence cut.

1338169838[/url]' post='2475743']

He can still play. Nix is trying to determine his long term health. In other words, can he make it through an entire season with back and knee problems??

Most likely McNeil wants too much money. As the summer moves along mcneil's leverage will decline.

Nix was smart to draft a LT prospect like Glenn.....absolutely. Does that mean he's ready to play the most important position on the O-line?? If he is, fine. But if he's not, which is most likely the case, then Fitz either won't make it through nthe season or will have to play injured.....and we all know how well that turned out.

Why not add McNeil to the mix if he's healthy??

He's rarely healthy, we'd sign him, take reps away from our future and then he'd get hurt. Pass. Go with the future. Same at OLB. These posts are what makes me not want to read this board. After the best off season we've had in decades, maybe ever, people are still complaining. Let's see if these guys can play, then complain.

That burress thing is still going! Please remember stevie burned that.bridge with his celebrating a td. Honestly, burress at this point in his career might be as good as Nelson. Nelson > burress, because of youth and character.

The offense like last years will be about getting the ball out of Fitz' hands and getting it to a playmaker, Glenn needs to hold his block for maybe 3 seconds his size alone provides 2 seconds. I see a lot of similarity between Glenn and mcneill. Youth wins again.

Rome was not built in a day,

Morrison was a tackling machine in Oakland, he will not be on the field enough for anyone to take advantage of.

The answer at TE is onobun!!!

MDP, Just for clarification purposes, D. Jones was not drafted. He's got aligator arms. I don't expect him to make the roster this year.

Jeremy 2020, I'd classify us as follows on offense:

QB: top 20

RB: top 10

TE: top 30

WR: top 25

O-line: top 15 w/ Glenn at LT

O-line: top 5 w/ McNeil at LT and Glenn at RG.

Frogger/NewEra/others, You're just not paying attention. You want to go into battle against the Patriots with rookies and first year players at key positions. We've been doing that for a decade or more and it hasn't worked. We've made Belichick look like a genius because of it. Meanwhile, Belichick snaps up a plethoria of veteran players at a reasonable cost year after year......and plays them ahead of his draft picks. His draft picks learm from the vets while contributing on ST and when they're ready.....they play. There are no. rookies blocking for T. Brady.

For the Bills to take the next step, they have to find a way to get past the Pats in the AFC East. Just beating them once per year isn't enough....although it certainly seems to be enough for some people. We need to produce more wins than them during the regular season.

If McNeil proves to healthy at some point....and that may not be by next week......then Nix would be a full not to sign him. rather thn

I'm asking the Bills to play guys who have actually produced in the NFL.....like Burress.....rather than cling to hope for guys like Easley/D. Jones/Roosevelt/Aiken/Onubun/Dickerson/et al. You need production to beat the Pats not "please baby please".

You add Schiancoe or Shockey and you've adding producers to your offese. Players that the Pats will need to deal with. In the meantime, develop Onubun and/or Dickerson on the PS.

Morrison could very well be more than adequate, but he sure didn't show it last year. Bringing in another proven OLB to compete with him and the other OLBs can only help to stoke the competition.

OLB: To much competition isn't always good, in my opinion. If you bring another veteran, Morrison and Barnett might feel like they're trying to be replaced and the younger linebackers wouldn't know where to go for help.

WR: Burress is the worst option for a big wide out. Plus Chan's idea for spreading the ball out by lining up 4-5 WRs and giving it to everyone (which I don't necessarily think is the best idea for this offense) would kill Burress because he isn't getting the ball.

TE: Even though that's a really good idea, I can't imagine Chan bringing in another TE that would actually see snaps. Like I said above, he likes lining up in 4-5 WR sets, not twin TE formations.

LT: We have Hairston who would most likely start right now while Glenn gets ready to start at LT. Don't have him play RG because that's the other side of the line and a whole other position. If you want him to play LT, you have him prepare himself at LT, not have him learn a whole other position. It will just get him confused and make us look like we need another LT.

O-line: top 5 w/ McNeil at LT and Glenn at RG.

I'm asking the Bills to play guys who have actually produced in the NFL.....like Burress.....rather than cling to hope for guys like Easley/D. Jones/Roosevelt/Aiken/Onubun/Dickerson/et al. You need production to beat the Pats not "please baby please".

You add Schiancoe or Shockey and you've adding producers to your offese. Players that the Pats will need to deal with. In the meantime, develop Onubun and/or Dickerson on the PS.

Morrison could very well be more than adequate, but he sure didn't show it last year. Bringing in another proven OLB to compete with him and the other OLBs can only help to stoke the competition.

Yeah, top-5 O-line for the fist 3-4 weeks.

And I'm not sure how good of a comparison this will be but think of it like the 2002 Oakland Athletics. They couldn't afford that many big named guys, like us, so they get guys that haven't proven themselves in the big leagues. They took a chance on the younger players, the one that haven't proven themselves but had potential because the A's front office knew it would work out.

Now, I know all you will be thinking that it never happens, that its the most dumbest idea. But it goes to show that sometimes the FO knows more than the fans do.

EDIT: sorry about the two posts in a row. Had to get my two cents out there :blush:

Edited by Teen Insight

My critique about linebackers. Morrison did not play much so to get Sheppard playing time once we were in decline.

Kirk will be servicable or better and a very good teacher for Tank and Nigel, till they are ready to take over his position. which is probably two downs any ways. Our carry over sophomores have their work cut out for them though.

as far as LT lets wait and see. there will probably be reasonable one available when the rosters get pared down, but not Mcneil. his back is shot. And Buddy mentioned that i believe when comparing to Glenn. We are chock full of te's that Chan really doesn't make alot of use of one can really block and one can really catch so..

"OLB: To much competition isn't always good, in my opinion. If you bring another veteran, Morrison and Barnett might feel like they're trying to be replaced and the younger linebackers wouldn't know where to go for help." - Really??? We sure don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

"WR: Burress is the worst option for a big wide out. Plus Chan's idea for spreading the ball out by lining up 4-5 WRs and giving it to everyone (which I don't necessarily think is the best idea for this offense) would kill Burress because he isn't getting the ball." - Gailey plays the type of offense that he plays because of what he has. He doesn't have a great O-line or a stud QB so he has designed a quick throwing spread offense that gets the ball out quick (helps the O-line) and allows the QB to see what scheme the defense is playing (man or zone). Burress would do well in this scheme because he would be open most of the time even when he's not open. You can't cover a 6'-5" WR with great hands 1v1 with a 5'11" CB.

"TE: Even though that's a really good idea, I can't imagine Chan bringing in another TE that would actually see snaps. Like I said above, he likes lining up in 4-5 WR sets, not twin TE formations." - Playing two TEs at times makes it more difficult for the defense to stack their scheme with more run defenders or pass defenders. It gives the offense the advantage and the element of surprise. This is especially effective in short yardage, goal line, and red zone situations.

"LT: We have Hairston who would most likely start right now while Glenn gets ready to start at LT. Don't have him play RG because that's the other side of the line and a whole other position. If you want him to play LT, you have him prepare himself at LT, not have him learn a whole other position. It will just get him confused and make us look like we need another LT." - You like Hairston at LT. I happen to think McNeil is a much better player.

Some notes:

To summarize.

The Bills need not develop young players on there roster, instead they should get guys ChanOverChin has heard of in his Fantasy Football league.

Plexico is over the hill, I don't think he adds anything to the red zone offense that cant be accomplished with David Nelson and Chandler. It would be a poor decision to add a player like Plex. Like Nix said "players with the needle pointing up." Plus don't sleep on Lee he actually has good hands and size, just not any type of NFL speed or quickness.

DE depth and OLB is a huge mystery right now. There are a ton of talented players and this will all get worked out through training camp and the early part of the season. Some will thrive n the new 4-3 system; right now no one knows who that will be.

Harriston is not a rookie and will battle hard for that starting LT spot with Glenn. Zebrie Sanders is the dark horse in the battle. He is the only one that had LT athleticism. My guess is 2013 Sanders is LT and Glenn is RT.