Big Problems With Bills Offense ....

Owen

I think this is the most pessimistic post I have ever read by a fan. He uses whatever round someone was drafted in, be it first or seventh or whatever, as a criticism. Somehow free agency also makes someone suspect, like Freddy, "another free agent pickup who starts..."

Put a little cream in your coffee, pal!

Thank goodness he doesn't know what round Tom Brady was drafted in.

It has been a long time since a fan wrote something this sullen and depressing. If I have time I'll have to do some digging about other players who were either free agents or low draft picks.

As for our coach, right now I cannot think of any one coach that I would rather have. He and Buddy arrive at a team with nothing ... the national media repeatedly praises him for his abilities to work with players and his track record outside of Buffalo is not that bad. I can't wait for this season to start!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The National Media says next to Nothing about the Buffalo Bills Offense... have you noticed?

Here is what I believe they see when they look at the leadership and roster....

The head coach and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills... His won lost record proves it... He has bounced around from team to team... Even when Ralph Wilson chose him as head coach the Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring... Many wanted Shanahan now with Washington... Gailey has a lot to prove.

QB... Ryan Fitzpatrick ... Picked up as a free agent... Bills fans believe he is better as a backup than as a starter... He was a 7th round pick... Bills management is putting to much faith in a losing QB...

QB ... Vince Young.. Backup QB...Picked up by the Bills because no one else wanted him... Most likely washed up

QB ... Tyler Thigper... OMG are you kidding

RB ... Freddy Jackson... Another free agent pickup who starts..

RB ... C.J. Spiller ... A first round pick who has done litte and could be a bust

FB.... Corey McIntrey .. Only touched the ball 4 times last year...

TE ... Scott Chandler... Another free agent pick up no other team wanted... slow

WR ... Stevie Johnson ... A 7th round pick considered their #1 receiver

WR ... Marcus Easley .... a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year and never seen the field, maybe the #2 receiver

WR ... David Nelson .... Another free agent

WR ... Donald Jones ... Another free agent

WR ... T.J. Graham .... Picked in the 3rd round but could have been a 7th round pick

OL ... Corey Glenn .... A rookie LT

OL ... Chris Hairston .. A 4th round pick

OL ... Kraig Urbik...... Another free agent

OL ... Chad Reinhart ... Another free agent

OL ... Eric Pears ...... Another free agent

Then we have Brad Smith... What is he a WR, RB, QB, Special teamer? Bills are even not sure...

Where is the Talent to get this squad to the playoffs?

And we the media are to believe with this motley crew they will make the playoffs ? are you kidding ?

But when you ask Bills fans, many believe they are on the right track, as do I and this so called motley crew will preform to playoff standards... Do you? and why do you Believe.......???

Enlightening. Thanks for the insight. Wait...Fred Jackson sucks right?

Looking back the last 20 years the teams that win the SB mostly had great lines. Average career QBs have won Super Bowls. I think Fitzpatrick is an average QB. Is that an indictment on we can't win? No way. Here's why: Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson are 4 Super Bowl winners who won the biggest game.

The constant with these 4 QBs is solid defense, OLine, and running game, and a passing system built around their strengths as a passer. Hostetler thrived in play action and rolling out, was athletic and had a good arm, Rypien was accurate and had great receivers in Clark & Monk and a sppedster in Sanders, Dilfer was smart and reliable, Johnson was accurate. The individual constant was these guys needed to be game managers & stay away from turnovers. The most important component is accuracy and intelligence. There is no smarter QB than Fitzpatrick. The accuracy is an issue and apparently is being addressed. Fitz had a huge jump in completion percentage in '11 from a career sub .60 rate to over .61.

If our defense is as good as we think it will be, and our OLine continues to improve we may not need the proverbial "franchise QB".

The National Media says next to Nothing about the Buffalo Bills Offense... have you noticed?

The head coach and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills... His won lost record proves it... He has bounced around from team to team... Even when Ralph Wilson chose him as head coach the Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring... Many wanted Shanahan now with Washington... Gailey has a lot to prove.

QB... Ryan Fitzpatrick ... Picked up as a free agent... Bills fans believe he is better as a backup than as a starter... He was a 7th round pick... Bills management is putting to much faith in a losing QB...

QB ... Vince Young.. Backup QB...Picked up by the Bills because no one else wanted him... Most likely washed up

RB ... C.J. Spiller ... A first round pick who has done litte and could be a bust

TE ... Scott Chandler... Another free agent pick up no other team wanted... slow

WR ... Marcus Easley .... a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year and never seen the field, maybe the #2 receiver

WR ... T.J. Graham .... Picked in the 3rd round but could have been a 7th round pick

Then we have Brad Smith... What is he a WR, RB, QB, Special teamer? Bills are even not sure...

And we the media are to believe with this motley crew they will make the playoffs ? are you kidding ?

But when you ask Bills fans, many believe they are on the right track, as do I and this so called motley crew will preform to playoff standards... Do you? and why do you Believe.......???

you misspelled Thigpen and our excellent blocking Fb and special teams ace C Mac, Cordy Glenn a potential monster that is widely recognized by national media and on our own wish list come true and even our solid player

C. Rinehart.

This devalues your authority as a fan severely Dont care for your glass half empty mentality. Maybe copy and paste this on the Jets board :angry:

Ban Him!! It's a troll! Ban him at the stake!!

The National Media likely says next to nothing about the Buffalo Bills offense because all of the splashy offseason moves were on D.

In addition, while the Bills O ranked 14th in points per game scored, the Bills D ranked 30th in points per game given up. It doesn't take a genius to tell that if you score 23 pts/game while giving up 27, you lose more than you win.

So the D clearly deserves more attention at this point if the Bills are gonna turn it around.

Your belief system seems entirely predicated on where a guy came from. I don't care where a guy came from. I care where he's going. Chan came in to a team with minimal talent and a losing mentality and culture. He seems to be changing all that. I can agree (I think most fans can agree) this is a pivotal year; talented players are in place (wherever they came from), $$ have been spent, it's time to win more than we lose.

Fretting that he's a "big time loser" with the Bills and his won lost record in his 1st 2 years proves it, and that Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring and preferred Shanahan seems pointless...look at where we are, and where Washington is under Shanahan, still feel that way? Maybe RGIII will singlehandedly turn Washington around, how's that working for St Louis and Carolina?

At the beginning of the OP's post he state this is what he believes the "media" thinks. That doesn't mean it's what he himself thinks.

BTW....not all media about the offense is bad. Check this out......Linky

At the beginning of the OP's post he state this is what he believes the "media" thinks. That doesn't mean it's what he himself thinks.

He did refer to himself as "we the media" though. As if any of us would buy for a second that he's a media member.

He did refer to himself as "we the media" though. As if any of us would buy for a second that he's a media member.

No, he doesn't. I can get the consternation if he was in fact saying those things from his own point of view. It's quite obvious though that he is referring to what he thinks the National Media, as a whole, thinks when they look at the Bills Offense.

I can see where the OP is trying to put himself in the shoes of a media pundit and see what he sees. But every post that followed simply bashed him because they assumed that he was posting his own thoughts.

Look at it this way. I don't really follow other teams outside of the AFC east so if I attempted to assess how good a team on the west coast looked, my observations might be very similar to how the OP describes "how the media thinks of the Bills offense".

Seems to me the heat is getting to people or something and they are getting a bit irritable.

Not defending OP, but I think, as Rockinon was pointing out, that he was trying to speak (uninspiringly IMO) from the POV of the media in the first part of the post. He qualifies his own POV at the end as believing this "motley crew" can perform at a playoff level.

Media gave FJax much love before the injury last year among other reported misconceptions.

It's all a matter of wins and losses. They were getting plenty of attention in the first 7-8 weeks. The NFL gets so much coverage that great play will not go unnoticed. Yes, the OP is correct. The offense lacks star power. Their biggest name will be fighting to be the #2 QB. But this is a tight group of guys that never really expected to have much of an NFL career so they all have something to prove. It makes for a great lockerroom and as a fan I will revel in the successes they have as individuals and as a unit. Go ahead and shock the NFL world. The meia loves stars but it loves a great story even more.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

You're being a kind of ridiculous man, I mean really how can you call Chan Gailey a loser? You must have forgotten what the roster looked like when he took it over and the way the team was just a freaking mess all around. You don't need big names at every position to be a playoff team, there's a lot more talent on this team than you think. It's an offensive unit that actually has played cohesively for more than one year, the chemistry on offense should be greatly improved from an already promising improvement last year. We finished 14th in total offense, so we aren't as bad as you're dramatizing us to be. You shouldn't compare what we thought about Gailey before he got here to what he has done since he's been here, give him a little leeway even Belichick had a losing record before he got with the Patriots. Honestly these types of posts just infuriate me and most everyone else.

1338141432[/url]' post='2475562']

No, he doesn't. I can get the consternation if he was in fact saying those things from his own point of view. It's quite obvious though that he is referring to what he thinks the National Media, as a whole, thinks when they look at the Bills Offense.

I can see where the OP is trying to put himself in the shoes of a media pundit and see what he sees. But every post that followed simply bashed him because they assumed that he was posting his own thoughts.

Look at it this way. I don't really follow other teams outside of the AFC east so if I attempted to assess how good a team on the west coast looked, my observations might be very similar to how the OP describes "how the media thinks of the Bills offense".

Seems to me the heat is getting to people or something and they are getting a bit irritable.

Problem is ... if you read/watch anything about the Bills, few in the "media" have such an all consuming negative opinion of the Bills' offiense. Stevie, for example, is widely regarded as an up and coming star in the league. What I read more than anything from the media is very positive about the Bills' offense, usually with the caveat of ..if they stay healthy.

So, in most every respect, the OP was very much pulling stuff from who knows where in a vain effort to either make a point that doesn't exist or rile up enough posters to get responses. Seems to have worked... on both accounts.

No. The OP is a troll… I think it's kind of obvious.

I would guess that most of the media would scurry to the stats as a starting point for evaluating the offense.

They would see that the Bills offense finished 14th out of 32 teams in yards gained and also 14th in points scored.

They also see that this was accomplished in spite of a huge rash of injuries at offensive line and wide receiver, and the loss of MVP candidate Fred Jackson.

The national media may or may not be aware that Fitz played the last 10 games of the season with broken ribs.

Also the natiional media tends to speak well (justified or not) of Chan Gailey's offensive prowess.

OP.....why did you put so much "effort" into this post? It seems like you took a bunch of downers and decided to post the delusional ramblings that popped into your head.

Prior to completely neglecting to mention the fact that a lot of our late round picks, UDFA's and FA's have had very successful careers despite their "pedigrees", you called Chan a "big time loser". I would have to argue that. He was left with a team of cast-offs and both an offense and defense that were largely devoid of talent. In two seasons, he has created an inspired team that looks ready to contend. Yes, he does have a great deal to prove. No, IMHO, he has not been a "big time loser" with the Bills.

I'm not a homer and follow the entire league, not just the Bills. I see a lot of positives with this offense and am excited to see what they bring to the field. RB and FB are not even remotely an issue. CJ and FJax are a top 3 RB tandem in the league and Corey is a beast, despite his lack of carries. There is depth on a very talented, and well coached, O-line. LT is an issue, but we saw what happened with Hairston last year. There is no reason to expect any less from Glenn. We have a very smart QB who is being coached by a fantastic QB coach. He is somewhat of a question mark, but a lot more reason for optimism than the pessimism than you've expressed.

Edited by VanCity

Not defending OP, but I think, as Rockinon was pointing out, that he was trying to speak (uninspiringly IMO) from the POV of the media in the first part of the post. He qualifies his own POV at the end as believing this "motley crew" can perform at a playoff level.

Media gave FJax much love before the injury last year among other reported misconceptions.

I understand what you're saying and I don't want to argue your point because it makes sense. All I'm saying is that his second to last paragraph says "and we the media are supposed to believe that with this motley crew they will make the playoffs?". Maybe I'm just nitpicking but it seems like he's trying to lend more credence to his opinion than it's worth.

None of which changes the fact that he's no more than a giant troll though.

Edited by biglukes

This is the most honest post I've seen here in a while. People need to understand that you can be a bit pessimistic about the teams direction, and still love being a bills fan.

The offense needs a boost. I'd like Fred to continue doing what he did last season, but that simply may not happen. -Can anyone on our roster can pick up the slack? A few months ago it sounded like Chan was all about getting Fitz some weapons. -Well, where are they? Re-signing Chandler was a great move, but where's the other intermediate target TE??? Visanthe Shancoe would've been SWEEET! -What about the other TE's on our rosters being "developed"??? -Dickerson Are any of them close?

For a coach who is often labeled an "offensive genius" Gailey sure is taking his time. Buddy and Chan really need to get the ball rolling here, or we'll be bottom feeders in the AFCE for the next ten years.

Edited by Beerball