Time to start liking Don Banks (at least til his next article)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tebow is an awesome guy, surprised he would go to NY and jump right into the middle of a bickering team with such an obnoxious, outspoken fan base. I could see a guy like him in a Cleveland, Pitt, Minny, Buffalo, GB, type of city with real football fans.

The only thing I can attribute that move to is Rex Ryan. As much as everyone seems to hate Rex, I think he's a cool guy and a good coach who really gets the most out of his players and can attract free agents and hometown discounts for current players coming under contract.

That being said, I hope Tebow causes tons of controversy and splits the locker room and the fans, and the Jets sink even further in the Jersey swamp.

We are gonna light them up in their own house on NFL opening sunday and I can't wait.

Even as a national media source, between The Daily News, the Post, Newsday, etc. I think it hardly even registers.

Those NYC teams exist in a media maelstrom every day of the year.

The Jets are gonna be a very interesting team to watch this year. It's a pivotal year in Ryan's tenure for sure.

I agree. There is no "bulletin board material". The only thing that motivates pro football players to go above and beyond is extra cash--as in the bounty system. The bulletin board stuff is for the movies and TV shows.

I agree. There is no "bulletin board material". The only thing that motivates pro football players to go above and beyond is extra cash--as in the bounty system. The bulletin board stuff is for the movies and TV shows.

I absolutely disagree. Players/coaches find motivation in many different forms. Surely you've read/heard quotes by players along the lines of "we know what ______ said about us." Ever heard of a team taking an "us against the world" mentality? Where do you think that comes from?

Very naive statement, WEO.

Edited by eball

Don Banks = Genius :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I bet his Wonderlick score is higher than Ryan Fitzgerald's!

We had three chances to prove this last season and blew every one. Until we smash the local competition once and for all, we're still the third best NFL team in New York/New Jersey.

That was LAST year. Don't you ever have anything good to say? (no bother answering that. The rest of us already know the answer)

I think you may be overrating what a guy with a ONE year contract in COMPETITION to try and get a BACKUP job after being discarded by TWO other teams will do to the Bills.

Tebow was a starting QB with a massive fan following, who is in no way of losing his job. He's also backing up a QB that has been earning more and more criticism for his poor play in a highly critical and media unfriendly place.

Tebow was 8-5 as a starter and lost four of his last five. He still has a long way to go to prove he can be a winning NFL QB. Did you see his "performance" against the Bills? VY has been to two Pro Bowls and has had some success in the league over a sustained period. I'll take VY on my team as a backup any day.

Wow Banks is 2-for-2!

2 Bills are on his list of 12 players injured during 2011 that are primed for bounceback seasons

• Mario Williams, DE, Buffalo -- The Houston Texans finally made the playoffs last season, but Williams didn't. His year was cut short in Week 5, when a torn pectoral muscle ended what was shaping up to be a monster first season (five sacks in five games) at outside linebacker in the 3-4 formation that Wade Phillips brought to town.

Williams didn't get the reward of playing in the postseason for the team that drafted him first overall in 2006, but he did get rewarded, becoming the highest-paid defensive player in the history of the league when the Bills, during free agency, gave him a six-year contract worth a potential $100 million. Shifted back to defensive end in a 4-3 front, Williams is now being counted on to help end a 12-season Buffalo playoff drought that has stretched even longer than Houston's lasted.

• Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo -- With Mario Williams and Mark Anderson at end, and promising 2011 first-rounder Marcell Dareus at one tackle slot, the Bills have the potential to field one of the league's most dominating defensive fronts. But it's the other Williams, Kyle Williams, the team's underrated seventh-year defensive tackle, who might be the most pivotal player to the line's success this season. Williams played just five games last season before succumbing to a foot injury that landed him on the IR, but his presence and ability to penetrate opposing backfields meant teams couldn't merely double-team Dareus and neutralize the No. 3 pick.

Williams is a disruptive force in the middle, and his 9.5 sacks in 2009-2010 registered as excellent pass-rush skills for a big man whose primary responsibility was to eat up blockers and stuff the run. Buffalo's defensive line should be able to dominate and take over games at times this season, giving opponents more problems to contend with than even a quality offensive line can handle. With Mario Williams and Anderson crashing the pass pocket from both ends, Dareus and Kyle Williams will be in position to make things happen in the middle.

Media praise makes me nervous. I much prefer to be under the radar.

PTR

Aren't you always complaining when the media writes anything negative? You can't have it both ways.

While I'll happily take the praise, at the expense of the hated Jets no less, it's interesting how he spins the Tebow aquisition as potentially "team splitting," but doesn't say the same about the Vince Young signing.

I'm delighted that the Bills didn't stand pat with a sub-par 2nd string QB, but if Fitz falters early, that Bills locker room will split like the seams on a fat man's pants as players take sides in the great "Fitz or Vince" debate of 2012.

The locker room will not split with a one year QB especially since many players came up in system with Fritz. On the other hand fans will split on any thread no matter how thin and media will find imaginary threads enough to weave an entire uniform if it will generate controversy sales.