Toronto Series Extension

I've made no bones about the fact that I am more impressed with Kreaft as an owner vs. Ralph. Few outside this site would argue against that point. He was a fan who bought a moribund team and turned it around. Sure he "lucked into Brady", but so what? Kraft has poured a ton of money into his franchise and the stadium and the surrounding area. He was the main reason the NFL was able to extract an insane amount of money from the network for the next 10 plus years. This benefits the Bills as well as all teams. You're just upset Matt Walsh never turned into your Erin Brockevich

Does RW get credit for doing the exact same thing in the past? For making it possible for owners like Kraft to be in the position to reap the benefits of ever increasing broadcast rights fees?

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than upon many of yours, I've hardly done that. I have a different perspective than you, so what? Many here do. Some of my posts are straight up opinions, many are counter points I make to other opinions or arguments. I try always to provide data to support my position. That's what this place is for. It's not only for unquestioning followers like you. This isn't high school. We don't have to "hate" the owner of a team that has outperformed us for many years. I have no problem giving credit where it's due--either inside or outside the Bills. I'm hoping for the best this season, just like you. But I'm saving the gushing for games that are won, or at least played well.

If you can boil all of what a guy like Kraft has done to simply falling into Tom Brady, then you've exposed your overall ignorance and lack of curiosity once again. I don't mind shooting fish in a barrel every now an then, but put a little more work into your responses--move beyond the "troll or miserable person" crap.

Please. I don't stalk you, but every time I see a post it's completely taking the most pessimistic viewpoint possible. If you believe I'm an "unquestioning follower" you clearly don't read my posts. I don't "hate" anyone and I welcome you to show I've posted otherwise. I also don't consider you to be a "curious" fan at all; your posts are often little "quick hits" to get a dig in and don't provoke any particular thought or discussion. Please point out the last time you congratulated anyone in the Bills organization for anything (waiting for the "nothing to congratulate over the past 12 years" response). You say you're a fan, but when do you allow yourself the freedom to actually act like one? Is this fun for you?

With respect to the Toronto series...whether it financially benefits Ralph more than anyone else is irrelevant (and uninteresting; why wouldn't the owner make the most money?). Without it, though, we'd hear a lot more talk of the Bills moving, and the results in terms of expanding the Bills market are clear. From a local (or historical) fan's perspective it sucks, but if it keeps alive the hope the team won't leave, so be it.

The media should be asking Brandon to quantify the effect of his Toronto regionalization efforts. He says S Ontario comprises 15% of season ticket sales, by my calculation thats about 5,500 Canadian season ticket holders. This compares to about 4,000 before this series began in 2008. Not much of an increase compared to the competitive advantage cost of giving up a home game.

This was all about the $78 million and Rogers will not be paying close to that amount again, if they choose to renew. Rogers actually has all the leverage this time.

Does RW get credit for doing the exact same thing in the past? For making it possible for owners like Kraft to be in the position to reap the benefits of ever increasing broadcast rights fees?

GO BILLS!!!

Ralph has been appropriately credited/honored for his past contirbutions to the birth of the modern NFL. That I respect, and the NFL has placed him in the HOF for it. But his stewardship of this franchise over the past 20 years has been the opposite of that of a guy like Kraft with his team. And you have it backwards, owners like ralph, who doesn't own a marquee team, are in the position to benefit form the contracts negotiated by Kraft, a guy who the networks respect. Ralph gets the same amount of TV money that Kraft does, without really having contributed to the popularity of he game since the early 90's. Ralph has made tons of money, but he also has made the Bills irrelevent for decades. Kraft has done the opposite. This much is clear.

Kraft's half baked overture to Hartford (of all the desolate dumps he could have duped) was a hardball business move--just like Ralph has made. But look what Kraft has created with his stadium complex. That's for his customers, as well as for his own profitablilty. Ralph has only demanded more and more form his neighbors (well, the Bills' neighbors anyway--he won't live in WNY) and his customers--and form those who don't even follow football. And what have we reaped over the past 20 years? Football futility and heartbreak.

Please. I don't stalk you, but every time I see a post it's completely taking the most pessimistic viewpoint possible. If you believe I'm an "unquestioning follower" you clearly don't read my posts. I don't "hate" anyone and I welcome you to show I've posted otherwise. I also don't consider you to be a "curious" fan at all; your posts are often little "quick hits" to get a dig in and don't provoke any particular thought or discussion. Please point out the last time you congratulated anyone in the Bills organization for anything (waiting for the "nothing to congratulate over the past 12 years" response). You say you're a fan, but when do you allow yourself the freedom to actually act like one? Is this fun for you?

With respect to the Toronto series...whether it financially benefits Ralph more than anyone else is irrelevant (and uninteresting; why wouldn't the owner make the most money?). Without it, though, we'd hear a lot more talk of the Bills moving, and the results in terms of expanding the Bills market are clear. From a local (or historical) fan's perspective it sucks, but if it keeps alive the hope the team won't leave, so be it.

There is only "a lot more talk of the Bills moving" because a handful of posters are convinced it will happen at any minute or that playing in Toronto in front of half interested attendees will somehow convince the next owner to keep the team in BUffalo. I think that's ridiculous. You obviously hold these believes. So pardon my disagreement.

You are one of the typical fan police types that tell everyone else what a fan is. I do post the occassional "quick hit", as does everyone here. My posts may or may not provoke much thought in your mind, but I feel most are well thought out. Go back in my history and see threads I have started. You and I have different expectations for the Bills. Let it be. Mischaracterize my posts if you must, but if you must.

I thought the pickup of VY was intriguing and I said so. I said 2 summers ago, on the first weekend of camp, that there was no way Fitz would be the QB they cut. I've also called him, by FAR, the toughest guy on this roster. I thought it was worth keeping Evans because I felt he was al ot better than the "one trick pony" nonsense that many were peddling here.

I really don't need to demonstrate my fan credentials, but suffice to say I am a fan every time I come to TSW and on every Sunday in the season, of course--thanks for asking.

Ralph has been appropriately credited/honored for his past contirbutions to the birth of the modern NFL. That I respect, and the NFL has placed him in the HOF for it. But his stewardship of this franchise over the past 20 years has been the opposite of that of a guy like Kraft with his team. And you have it backwards, owners like ralph, who doesn't own a marquee team, are in the position to benefit form the contracts negotiated by Kraft, a guy who the networks respect. Ralph gets the same amount of TV money that Kraft does, without really having contributed to the popularity of he game since the early 90's. Ralph has made tons of money, but he also has made the Bills irrelevent for decades. Kraft has done the opposite. This much is clear.

Kraft's half baked overture to Hartford (of all the desolate dumps he could have duped) was a hardball business move--just like Ralph has made. But look what Kraft has created with his stadium complex. That's for his customers, as well as for his own profitablilty. Ralph has only demanded more and more form his neighbors (well, the Bills' neighbors anyway--he won't live in WNY) and his customers--and form those who don't even follow football. And what have we reaped over the past 20 years? Football futility and heartbreak.

Pardon me if I find this view extremely myopic. The NFL did not start in the 90s and owners like Modell, RW, Mara, and others who negotiated the original TV deals for a unified league, did so while Kraft was still sitting in the stands as a Pats* fan.

If not for the stewardship of these owners, the likes of Kraft never would have found the NFL the attractive money cow it was that convinced them to buy a franchise in the first place.

RW has nothing to apologize for in accepting his fair share of the record revenues currently enjoyed around the league. You've always seemed to resent the fact that the NFL shares revenue and imply that RW is just along for the ride. You seem to think that somehow the owners of the big TV market teams are the only ones that matter and it's only them that make it possible for everyone else.

GO BILLS!!!

Any chance you are becoming a Pats fan and will soon leave idiotic diatribes like this on their boards? Because who cares about a grub arsewipe like Kraft(but you)? No doubt Trump is high on your list of visionary people to. What a silly argument you carry on with this. Go get a overpriced PSL and go to Pats games. No one forces you to be a fan of the Bills. Apparently your nearing the end. Please seek mental help or get back on the meds.

LMAO "He won't live in WNY" newsflash neither will hundreds of thousands who have left since the 70's. Why should he?

I don't know. I don't like the drunkfest at the Ralph, but I have watched football at the SkyDome or whatever they're calling it these days. Never again. That place is bad enough for baseball; it's absolutely horrible for football.

Really, what don't you like about it?

Any chance you are becoming a Pats fan and will soon leave idiotic diatribes like this on their boards? Because who cares about a grub arsewipe like Kraft(but you)? No doubt Trump is high on your list of visionary people to. What a silly argument you carry on with this. Go get a overpriced PSL and go to Pats games. No one forces you to be a fan of the Bills. Apparently your nearing the end. Please seek mental help or get back on the meds.

LMAO "He won't live in WNY" newsflash neither will hundreds of thousands who have left since the 70's. Why should he?

:lol:

I've made no bones about the fact that I am more impressed with Kreaft as an owner vs. Ralph. Few outside this site would argue against that point. He was a fan who bought a moribund team and turned it around. Sure he "lucked into Brady", but so what? Kraft has poured a ton of money into his franchise and the stadium and the surrounding area. He was the main reason the NFL was able to extract an insane amount of money from the network for the next 10 plus years. This benefits the Bills as well as all teams. You're just upset Matt Walsh never turned into your Erin Brockevich

I'm hardly the only one here who thinks that the Toronto deal was only good for ralph. You know this. Even the players don't like it. The fans up there hardly care for those games. The extra 78 million ralph pocketed resulted in no significant improvement (off season "wins" don't count) in the team. So who benefited from this? One man.

I went to at least a game a year until about three years ago. Work 7 days a week. I go to training camp every year it's been at SJF.

Kraft bought the team in 1994, a year after previous owner James Orthwein hired Parcells, and the team drafted Bledsoe. IOW, the turnaround was set in motion before he arrived. The best he could have been credited with at the time was ending the talk of the team moving to STL, where Orthwein was from, although as I mentioned, only 5 short years later, he was ready to move the team to Hartford until Mass gave the go ahead to fund a new stadium. But when Ralph threatens to move the team (a ruse, as you call it) in 1998, it's extortion. Typical.

I don't need Erin; I got Eric instead. The Pats were caught videotaping and punished. And even to this day, players and coaches still think, and even talk about how, they cheated. Get over this, doc. You've lost this one.

And even if you want to ignore that (and you do), getting Brady in the 6th round and him getting a chance to play after Bledsoe, who had just signed a $100M contract and who missed just 4 games since his rookie season, missed almost the entire 2001 season, is pure luck. Not unlike many fancy hiring Polian was for Ralph. If only they'd videotaped.

As for Kraft TV deals, I've told you before that the league sold itself once Fox entered the picture and created a scarcity (which brings demand). It could have been anyone negotiating those contracts. But as has been mentioned, the league was built well before Kraft, or Jones, or Snyder entered, and by far greater men who were more concerned about the entire well-being of the league.

The Toronto deal helps the Bills, which helps the fans, doc. And it will help the Bills and fans after Ralph dies. Apparently you're the only one who can't see this. No matter. Ralph found a way to generate more money, and it didn't involve jacking ticket prices up, or selling PSLs. And don't worry doc, that 1 game in Toronto won't put a crimp in the 1 game a year you claim to go to.

Horrible!! The Bills will now have to stay in WNY instead of move to Los Angeles. A travesty I tell you!! <_<

PTR

amen...amen....

with Toronto the bills are the 4th largest nfl market....

without Toronto the bills will be the 2nd largest market, once they relocate to L.A.

face it, buffalo on its own can NOT support an NFL franchise....

REGIONALIZATION is the key !!....and our good friends from Canada are a big part of keeping the name BUFFALO in front of the Bills.

Pardon me if I find this view extremely myopic. The NFL did not start in the 90s and owners like Modell, RW, Mara, and others who negotiated the original TV deals for a unified league, did so while Kraft was still sitting in the stands as a Pats* fan.

If not for the stewardship of these owners, the likes of Kraft never would have found the NFL the attractive money cow it was that convinced them to buy a franchise in the first place.

RW has nothing to apologize for in accepting his fair share of the record revenues currently enjoyed around the league. You've always seemed to resent the fact that the NFL shares revenue and imply that RW is just along for the ride. You seem to think that somehow the owners of the big TV market teams are the only ones that matter and it's only them that make it possible for everyone else.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9, I did acknowledge all that Ralph did to help form the league. It's not a lifetime pass in my book.

The pats team Kraft was not the money cow it became. He likely bought it because he thought he could do a better job owning it. I don't resent the revenue sharing--that makes no sense. That is the sole reason that the IS a team in Buffalo still--the TV money covers nearly all player expenses for all teams. My point is that the TV execs didn't cough up what Kraft was demanding because of the Bills prime time value. It has nothing to with "Big Markets".. The networks are paying to televise the nation's most popular teams nationally--especially in the playoffs. Those teams include small and mid market teams. They are not paying all that money to show the Bills or the Browns or Tampa Bay.

NE doesn;t have PSLs.

Kraft bought the team in 1994, a year after previous owner James Orthwein hired Parcells, and the team drafted Bledsoe. IOW, the turnaround was set in motion before he arrived. The best he could have been credited with at the time was ending the talk of the team moving to STL, where Orthwein was from, although as I mentioned, only 5 short years later, he was ready to move the team to Hartford until Mass gave the go ahead to fund a new stadium. But when Ralph threatens to move the team (a ruse, as you call it) in 1998, it's extortion. Typical.

I don't need Erin; I got Eric instead. The Pats were caught videotaping and punished. And even to this day, players and coaches still think, and even talk about how, they cheated. Get over this, doc. You've lost this one.

And even if you want to ignore that (and you do), getting Brady in the 6th round and him getting a chance to play after Bledsoe, who had just signed a $100M contract and who missed just 4 games since his rookie season, missed almost the entire 2001 season, is pure luck. Not unlike many fancy hiring Polian was for Ralph. If only they'd videotaped.

As for Kraft TV deals, I've told you before that the league sold itself once Fox entered the picture and created a scarcity (which brings demand). It could have been anyone negotiating those contracts. But as has been mentioned, the league was built well before Kraft, or Jones, or Snyder entered, and by far greater men who were more concerned about the entire well-being of the league.

The Toronto deal helps the Bills, which helps the fans, doc. And it will help the Bills and fans after Ralph dies. Apparently you're the only one who can't see this. No matter. Ralph found a way to generate more money, and it didn't involve jacking ticket prices up, or selling PSLs. And don't worry doc, that 1 game in Toronto won't put a crimp in the 1 game a year you claim to go to.

You always leave out the good stuff, doc! Typical. Such as the part where Kraft raised funds for the stadium itself (with the aid of the NFL loan plan, which was available to Ralph), whereas Ralph demanded but never offered to pay.

And, as you know, I never said they didn't cheat or that BB wasn't crazy for doing it so brazenly after the NFL sent a warning letter to all teams not to do it (and to change there D signals one would think).

And, yes, Brady was pure luck. So what? And what happened to Parcells? And there was a reason the owners put Kraft in the room to squeeze all that money out of the networks.

K-9, I did acknowledge all that Ralph did to help form the league. It's not a lifetime pass in my book.

The pats team Kraft was not the money cow it became. He likely bought it because he thought he could do a better job owning it. I don't resent the revenue sharing--that makes no sense. That is the sole reason that the IS a team in Buffalo still--the TV money covers nearly all player expenses for all teams. My point is that the TV execs didn't cough up what Kraft was demanding because of the Bills prime time value. It has nothing to with "Big Markets".. The networks are paying to televise the nation's most popular teams nationally--especially in the playoffs. Those teams include small and mid market teams. They are not paying all that money to show the Bills or the Browns or Tampa Bay.

But they certainly have in the past, haven't they? The league has a way of cycling and it will again. The networks paid big money to televise the games when the Jets, Giants, Pats*, LA Rams, Bears, etc. were perennial laughing stocks. And they will again.

GO BILLS!!!

The media should be asking Brandon to quantify the effect of his Toronto regionalization efforts....Not much of an increase compared to the competitive advantage cost of giving up a home game.

With due respect my response would be, why does Brandon owe anyone (other than the owner, and maybe the prospective new owner) this explanation?

The Bills ownership situation is far more precarious than it is for nearly every other team. As a result, the current move toward regionalization is more about building a foundation for the long term success of the Buffalo franchise than it is about the immediate number of Canadian butts in the seats. As rocky as they've been, the team's initial efforts to tap the Canadian market can only help maintain the viability of the Buffalo franchise in the minds of the next ownership group. When the time comes for a cold, hard business decision to be made about whether to keep the team in WNY or to move it, how do you quantify the value of the team's initial entry into the Toronto market? I don't think you can.

You always leave out the good stuff, doc! Typical. Such as the part where Kraft raised funds for the stadium itself (with the aid of the NFL loan plan, which was available to Ralph), whereas Ralph demanded but never offered to pay.

And, as you know, I never said they didn't cheat or that BB wasn't crazy for doing it so brazenly after the NFL sent a warning letter to all teams not to do it (and to change there D signals one would think).

And, yes, Brady was pure luck. So what? And what happened to Parcells? And there was a reason the owners put Kraft in the room to squeeze all that money out of the networks.

That's "good stuff?" The $150M (almost half the stadium cost) Kraft got from the NFL was free money (well, he did fund 1/30th of it). And Ralph wasn't asking for a new stadium, just for improvements to the county's stadium. And in turn, he didn't gouge the fans.

So what if Brady was luck? What did Kraft have to do with that, or Bledsoe almost dying on the field? Nothing. And who cares what happened to Parcells? His hiring was the turning-around point for the franchise. Almost undone by the hiring of Pete Carroll after he left.

Again, the money increased as the popularity increased and there became a scarcity of NFL packages for the networks. The owners have an idea of how much they want and send Kraft to do the dirty work. What's more important for a guy like Ralph isn't the total money, but the salary cap, ensuring he makes a profit.

There is only "a lot more talk of the Bills moving" because a handful of posters are convinced it will happen at any minute or that playing in Toronto in front of half interested attendees will somehow convince the next owner to keep the team in BUffalo. I think that's ridiculous. You obviously hold these believes. So pardon my disagreement.

No, I believe that putting a game in Toronto has put the Bills in the Ontario papers and sparked more interest from the fan base. And yes, it's evidence revenues can be increased, which should be important to any prospective purchaser.

You are one of the typical fan police types that tell everyone else what a fan is. I do post the occassional "quick hit", as does everyone here. My posts may or may not provoke much thought in your mind, but I feel most are well thought out. Go back in my history and see threads I have started. You and I have different expectations for the Bills. Let it be. Mischaracterize my posts if you must, but if you must.

You're so wrong. I only question those who come across as broken records or seem to have an agenda and won't consider an alternative perspective. I've changed my point of view many times. What I don't understand are "fans" who don't seem to be able to enjoy anything the team does.

I thought the pickup of VY was intriguing and I said so. I said 2 summers ago, on the first weekend of camp, that there was no way Fitz would be the QB they cut. I've also called him, by FAR, the toughest guy on this roster. I thought it was worth keeping Evans because I felt he was al ot better than the "one trick pony" nonsense that many were peddling here.

I really don't need to demonstrate my fan credentials, but suffice to say I am a fan every time I come to TSW and on every Sunday in the season, of course--thanks for asking.

I think signing VY makes the Bills better. I'm willing to bet if we ever actually discussed the team in person we'd probably agree more than we'd disagree. But we clearly have different reasons for coming here to read and post. So be it.

Go Bills.

i could not agree more! i hate giving up home field advantage as a trade off for a money grab. that is all it is, i know all the naysayers will say "home field" has not been a difference the last few years, but it is the principle, the team is making enough or wilson would sell right?..

Why doesn't the NFL make it a home-game for the Bills in alternate years...That way the Bills will lose only one home game to Toronto every other year. The NFL already does this with the London game without penalizing the same team every year.

Ganesh

I will never see this as anything but a black eye to this once proud franchise, it is a collossal embarrassment to Bills fans and the city of Buffalo, and handicaps the franchise to have to play 9 away games a year. You want to grow your fan base in toronto? How about some travel packages and selling some luxury suites to Toronto based businesses?

I really hope the next owner of this team scraps this abomination of an idea, if you want to move the team just do it already, don't lie to die hard fans telling them it's to increase fan base, I'd say we're all smarter than that.

I agree that the Bills could do a better job on that front. May be they run a helicopter service to the Stadium so that the business folks in Toronto can fly in/out of the game quickly.

That's "good stuff?" The $150M (almost half the stadium cost) Kraft got from the NFL was free money (well, he did fund 1/30th of it). And Ralph wasn't asking for a new stadium, just for improvements to the county's stadium. And in turn, he didn't gouge the fans.

So what if Brady was luck? What did Kraft have to do with that, or Bledsoe almost dying on the field? Nothing. And who cares what happened to Parcells? His hiring was the turning-around point for the franchise. Almost undone by the hiring of Pete Carroll after he left.

Again, the money increased as the popularity increased and there became a scarcity of NFL packages for the networks. The owners have an idea of how much they want and send Kraft to do the dirty work. What's more important for a guy like Ralph isn't the total money, but the salary cap, ensuring he makes a profit.

I don't understand your criticism of Kraft or at the least your lack of acknowledgement that Kraft has presided over an eminently more accomplished organization than what Wilson has presided over. Over the past dozen years New England has been the most successful franchise in the NFL, with numberous SB appearances and a couple of SB successes, while the Bills ranked near the bottom with no playoff appearances.

Ralph Wilson can run the franchise any way he wants to. So can Kraft. The bottom line is performance. There shouldn't be much of a debate on the score. What bothers a lot of people is that posters such as WEO are not afraid to point out the obvious long term failings of a troubled franchise. Some ayatollas on the board consider those accurate observations to be treasonous. I don't. He simply is stating the obvious. Instead of refuting his arguments he is vilified. A cheap and sleazy way of avoiding dealing with facts or persuasive arguments.

There isn't a person who casually follows the NFL who wouldn't agree that Kraft is a much more competent owner than Wilson. There is no doubt that RK ranks near the top in investing in his organization so that his team can be consistently good. That's what a good organization does. Over the last dozen years then New England operation is the example to follow; the Buffalo operation is the example of what not to do.

You already know my feelings about the owner of the Bills. From a football standpoiont I consider him to be incapable. Despite that harsh assessment of him I am cautiously optimistic about the franchise. The mercurial owner is at a stage in his life where he is less involved. Before fading into the background he made a good football hire in Buddy Nix. He now has in place a competent person who knows what he is doing. That is what I find encouraging.

Edited by JohnC

This is how Ralph knows he can, with relative impunity, whore out this team to an apathetic city. He knows that these games have nothing to do with the likelihood of the Bills "going to LA" after he's dead. But he's sure glad you guys believe it.

Whether we believe it or not doesn't matter. It's his team, not yours. He can do what he wants with it. It is a business to the owners,by the way. Not a game, but a business. Businesses exist to make money and Ralph is doing that. If you can't see what this series has done for the business(Buffalo Bills), man I'm glad you don't run things up there. This series has expanded our fan base in the Ontario area to where they might overtake the Rochester area, if they haven't already. If we can get fans from TO, London and Hamilton, this would be a hell of a deal for the Bills(Business).