Polian's Top 10 Player Moves

K-9

While I can't disagree with any of the moves mentioned, I gotta believe Lofton should be on there before someone else.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/13/polians-top-10-player-moves/

GO BILLS!!!

I love Lofton.. But who would you put him ahead of?... Ballard maybe? He wasn't a Bill for that long... Not sure what move I would remove from the top 10... We should make it a top 11 list... lol

Not sure I'd have trading for Bennett so high up - certainly not more important than drafting Bruce, Thurman or Ballard (in the 11th round!) or signing Hull. I loved Cornelius but he wasn't as important to the team as those players.

I love Lofton.. But who would you put him ahead of?... Ballard maybe? He wasn't a Bill for that long... Not sure what move I would remove from the top 10... We should make it a top 11 list... lol

Yeah, I would put him ahead of Ballard. Lofton immediately transformed that offense. It took Ballard two years to play a game.

I loved Ballard though. I can still see him walking the sidelines next to Jim Ringo in '88. He dressed for every game but never got in. The sight of this huge man in pads walking next to Ringo all the time and just soaking up all that coaching from a Hall of Fame OLman.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, I would put him ahead of Ballard. Lofton immediately transformed that offense. It took Ballard two years to play a game.

I loved Ballard though. I can still see him walking the sidelines next to Jim Ringo in '88. He dressed for every game but never got in. The sight of this huge man in pads walking next to Ringo all the time and just soaking up all that coaching from a Hall of Fame OLman.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd put him before Tasker, myself. Yes, Tasker was a special teams terror and a fan favorite...but redefining the gunner position in special teams is rather like redefining the dime back position in pass coverage (and Mark Pike had a third more special teams tackles anyway). For that matter, I'd put drafting Frank Reich ahead of Tasker.

And that we can even have such a discussion shows what an embarrassment of riches that team had.

I'd put him before Tasker, myself. Yes, Tasker was a special teams terror and a fan favorite...but redefining the gunner position in special teams is rather like redefining the dime back position in pass coverage (and Mark Pike had a third more special teams tackles anyway). For that matter, I'd put drafting Frank Reich ahead of Tasker.

And that we can even have such a discussion shows what an embarrassment of riches that team had.

I can't disagree with that, either. We tend to romanticize the fan favorites, especially as time goes on, but Lofton won us more games than Tasker and had more big plays, too. I like your comparison to the dime position. It makes sense.

Embarrassment of riches indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

I remember watching Bennets first game, he owned Randall Cunningham. I think he had like four sacks in that game. It really was funny because the bills almost drafted bennet in the first round but traded back and took conlan instead. They ended up with both.

Bennett's first game was against the Broncos.

Not sure I'd have trading for Bennett so high up - certainly not more important than drafting Bruce, Thurman or Ballard (in the 11th round!) or signing Hull. I loved Cornelius but he wasn't as important to the team as those players.

I think part of the brilliance of the Biscuit trade was unloading the disgruntled Greg Bell. If we still had Greg Bell on the roster, would Thomas have been drafted? Also, I think Bennett's impact on the D was huge.

I remember watching Bennets first game, he owned Randall Cunningham. I think he had like four sacks in that game. It really was funny because the bills almost drafted bennet in the first round but traded back and took conlan instead. They ended up with both.

The Bills never had a chance to draft Bennett. He was picked #2 overall by the Colts. The Bills, who had the third pick surely would have taken him but traded down with the Oilers instead.

Also, I think that four sack game against the Eagles was the last game of the 1987 season.

GO BILLS!!!

Cornelius !

Gotta disagree. Adding Bennett immediately tipped the scales of the division in the Bills' favor. It gave them the pass rush to get to pressure Marino consistently. Even Don Shula said that.

GO BILLS!!!

I would add the classic case of " addition by subtraction"' which was getting rid of Ronnie Harmon. While he did have talent he was one of the main reasons they were called The Bickering Bills. They came together after he left.

I'd say drafting Bruce had more impact on the Bills but the Biscuit trade required more GM savvy. Drafting Bruce was a no-brainer (not that the Bills hadn't screwed up no brainers before Bruce).

I'd say drafting Bruce had more impact on the Bills but the Biscuit trade required more GM savvy. Drafting Bruce was a no-brainer (not that the Bills hadn't screwed up no brainers before Bruce).

I remember at the time it wasn't such a no-brainer as far as fans were concerned. There was a huge push for Flutie. Thank God they drafted Bruce.

Pollian made some great moves. I thought the key move was the Biscuit trade which seemed to take our defense "over the top" I don't mean that Biscuit was better than Smith, Kelly, Reed, Thomas or Reed...he was the tipping point and there was a lot mover elbow grease involved in getting that deal done than in making the (clearly) very wise moves in the draft.

I remember at the time it wasn't such a no-brainer as far as fans were concerned. There was a huge push for Flutie. Thank God they drafted Bruce.

Considering Bruce went #1 and Flutie went 284 picks later, I'd say it was a no brainer between the two of them.

GO BILLS!!!

Lofton was one signing that showed some older players have plenty left in the tank. He was a great signing and a great Bill.

The Bennett trade was quite significant and I think it's place is appropriate on the list. It was the 1987 version of the 2012 Mario Williams signing. While the move provided great returns on the field, it was a trade that put the NFL and the media on notice that the Bills were coming in from the wilderness and were serious about winning and introduced the Bills to a lot of future fans.

The Bills never had a chance to draft Bennett. He was picked #2 overall by the Colts. The Bills, who had the third pick surely would have taken him but traded down with the Oilers instead.

LOL.

Any other recollections you'd like to share, Rev?

Bennett trade was huge.. Polian gave up a lot and it paid off, Bills got the best of a blockbuster move. I have no problem putting it right at the top of the list, certainly a lot more risk than signing Jimbo.

I was going to post that...I was there...Remember when Elway had to call time out?

I would add the classic case of " addition by subtraction"' which was getting rid of Ronnie Harmon. While he did have talent he was one of the main reasons they were called The Bickering Bills. They came together after he left.

Wrong...the main reason was Reed, Thomas, and Talley hated Jim Kelly...Thurman said in an interview when asked what needed to change or somehting like that and he answered "Quarterback"

Edited by Dadonkadonk

#1: Drafting Peyton Manning, and NOT drafting Ryan Leaf.

Outside of a few outlying opinions pretty much everyone was pointing to Manning being the number one pick. I think that the list was all of Polian's Bills moves. Although I would love to see a similar list for his Indy moves. I would also like to see how he shaped the early Panthers organization.