Gailey on QB Tanney

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/12/gailey-on-qb-tanney/

As we profiled on Buffalobills.com this morning, tryout QB Alex Tanney was a lot more than a trick shot QB in college at Division III Monmouth. Here was Chan Gailey’s take on Tanney after the first day of practice.

“He did some good things,” said Gailey. ”First day for any quarterback is hard. I don’t care who you are, but he did some good things. I like his quick throwing motion. He seems to have a strong arm. He seemed to pick up things fairly well. We’ll see how the rest of the weekend goes.”

I think if this kid keep it up, Gailey is really going keep an eye on this kid for sure..

Let's just get it over & put the QB order like this --

#1) Fitz - #2) V . Young - #3) Tanney .. It's an instant up grade from Thigpen !! Just in experience alone , & B . Smith make a trade for another pick . With all that we have at WR why waste a roster spot with him get something for him . Young can do all that Smith has done for the team (besides being a WR if needed) so let's just do it !!

That way we can also save a couple of mil or so in cap room by getting rid of their 2 contracts which wouldn't hurt ??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just get it over & put the QB order like this --

#1) Fitz - #2) V . Young - #3) Tanney .. It's an instant up grade from Thigpen !! Just in experience alone , & B . Smith make a trade for another pick . With all that we have at WR why waste a roster spot with him get something for him . Young can do all that Smith has done for the team (besides being a WR if needed) so let's just do it !!

That way we can also save a couple of mil or so in cap room by getting rid of their 2 contracts which wouldn't hurt ??

Who would be willing to pay B Smiths over inflated contract, especially with his putrid numbers last year? Just cut him.

Who would be willing to pay B Smiths over inflated contract, especially with his putrid numbers last year? Just cut him.

He's a talented player, but I'm not sure how he fits in the offense. He made a couple big 3rd down conversions last year. But he also should have thrown the ball a few times to wide open guys. The bills didn't run the wildcat very much at all. So if brad smith is not returning kickoffs due to the new rule change, and he's not running the wildcat, maybe they should coach him up on becoming a better receiver. Otherwise, look for a trade.

corp or tanney will make the ps

I agree with this -- I believe this minicamp is the first step in a 1-on-1 competition between Corp and Tanney to determine who becomes the Bills developmental QB.

I'm NOT very high on Young, but he's better than Thigpen which isn't saying much. I've never been a fan of the wildcat and the Brad Smith project either. I could see the Bills cutting Thigpen and Smith and either Corp or Tanny makes the roster as #3. The Gix or if you prefer Nailey era has not had a developemental QB yet.

He's a talented player, but I'm not sure how he fits in the offense. He made a couple big 3rd down conversions last year. But he also should have thrown the ball a few times to wide open guys. The bills didn't run the wildcat very much at all. So if brad smith is not returning kickoffs due to the new rule change, and he's not running the wildcat, maybe they should coach him up on becoming a better receiver. Otherwise, look for a trade.

Free Clue: the Bills didn't hire the King of the Wildcat as their QB coach because they plan on scrapping the Wildcat and cutting the guy they acquired to run it.

He is really slow. His 40 was 5.1 or something like that. Gailey likes a more mobile qb

Tanney ran a 4.96 Ryan Fitzpatrick ran a 4.86 40 yard dash. That difference is so minuscule you would miss it without having a high speed camera.

Being fast and being mobile are not inclusive. You can have a fast QB who simply can not seem to ever get out of trouble because he can't read the a tackles shoulders, and has no down field vision. Fitzpatrick is not very fast, but he does look likes he has a quick step on the football field because he has good down field vision and can create space.

Free Clue: the Bills didn't hire the King of the Wildcat as their QB coach because they plan on scrapping the Wildcat and cutting the guy they acquired to run it.

Ok, then why did they pretty much stop running it last year? Some games, they didn't run the wildcat at all. Eat your free clue for breakfast.

The wildcat is not a winning formation. It's a gimmick for teams that don't have the talent to run a pro style offense. Not one team in the AFC or NFC championship games used the wildcat last year. What does that tell you?

It's arbitrary whether you agree with me or not. Facts are facts. The Bills barely ran the wildcat last year, and brad smith didn't return many kickoffs. Why pay the money for a guy that can give you maybe 3 plays a game. Now, you've got a clue.

I agree with this -- I believe this minicamp is the first step in a 1-on-1 competition between Corp and Tanney to determine who becomes the Bills developmental QB.

That's a bingo!

Facts are facts. The Bills barely ran the wildcat last year,

"The Bills, who signed the former Jets receiver Brad Smith, a college quarterback, specifically for direct-snap plays, used the tactic 21 times, the most in the N.F.L."

Forcing Smith to play WR when the injury bug hit probably reduced the number of wildcat plays Chan could use. With a full training camp to refine the mismatches that can be exploited with the formation, I suspect it will still be part of the playbook this year...

Ok, then why did they pretty much stop running it last year? Some games, they didn't run the wildcat at all. Eat your free clue for breakfast.

The wildcat is not a winning formation. It's a gimmick for teams that don't have the talent to run a pro style offense. Not one team in the AFC or NFC championship games used the wildcat last year. What does that tell you?

It's arbitrary whether you agree with me or not. Facts are facts. The Bills barely ran the wildcat last year, and brad smith didn't return many kickoffs. Why pay the money for a guy that can give you maybe 3 plays a game. Now, you've got a clue.

They scrapped it ONLY because Brad Smith was forced to practice and play WR full time when the injuries struck. Gailey didn't practice the Wildcat during the week so he didn't use it in the games and said so. He also said the reason the third down efficiency went down later in the year was when they had to move Smith to full time WR (meaning he didnt use the wildcat). He wanted to use it much more earlier in the season too but the offensive was clicking so well he didn't, which was smart.

While David Lee might help a lot with the Wildcat because he is credited with starting it and bringing it to the NFL it should be noted that he did it as a running formation only, even though he is a QB coach now. He wasn't at all known for throwing out of it. He developed it first to get his two Arkansas college RBs on the field at the same time with no QB, Darren Mcfadden and Felix Jones. With Miami, Ronnie Brown ran 95% of the time and only used the pass as a threat. It's quite possible that Lee and Chan are developing the Bills version to utilize Smith's ability to throw, but for his part, Lee has never really done that as far as I know.

Injuries.

Gailey disagrees with you.

Edited by dogma+

Agreed. It's just disappointing. When Thigpen played for KC he lit up the stat sheet, but just didn't win (1 - 10 I believe). He's a Gailey Guy too. Apparently, Gailey and Fitz thought Fitz w/cracked ribs was better than a healthy Thigpen last year. If so, that says a lot.

FACT: Tyler Thigpen NEVER lit up the stat sheet in KC. Thigpen's best season in KC that you and others have referred to is one in which he: completed 54.8% of his passes for 2608 yds., and threw 18 TDs/12 INT's with a rating of 76.0

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

He developed it first to get his two Arkansas college RBs on the field at the same time with no QB, Darren Mcfadden and Felix Jones.

Makes me think we'll see more of Jackson and Spiller on the field at the same time this year...

It seems like you're confusing your opposition to the Wildcat (the anti-gimmick, anti-gadget argument… which many people here have) with the Bills intentions to use it more.

It also seems like your displeasure with Brad Smith or at least with his contract is clouding your view of the Wildcat issue.

As others have clearly pointed out, the Wildcat is not going away and will likely be a bigger part of the offense this year.

Also it's pretty clear why the Bills were forced to use it less in the second half of last year.

You can say that you don't like the Wildcat or that you don't like Brad Smith… but you're wrong when you say the Bills will use it less based on the last half of last season.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

What Bills fan could ever forget the blazing speed and amazing agility of Jim Kelly?

Any time I think of Kelly running I immediately think of the game where he ran, basically faked a jump shot to which the defender tried to block, then cut back inside for a first down. all without ever bending his knees

Any time I think of Kelly running I immediately think of the game where he ran, basically faked a jump shot to which the defender tried to block, then cut back inside for a first down. all without ever bending his knees

The guy's pure speed and nimble agility were simply amazing to watch, Mountaineer!!!

I would NEVER put a QB on my roster that can't run and juke like Kelly :beer:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)