Has any Defense gone with 5-2-3-1 recently?

I am talking about 5 DL (I'd guess they would put KW as center), 2 LBs, 3 CBs and a safety? Remember reading about it a couple of years ago bur Bills never had the horsepower. Teams would probably try to match it with 5 WRs and try to get between the DL and LBs but there would be a lot of pressure on OL and QB especially without a RB to pick up a blocker.

Our 5 would be... W,M,D, Anderson and Merriman?

Our 2 would be... Shepherd and Barnett?

Our 3 would be... Williams and Gillmore?

Our 1 would be... Byrd?

That would leave some great talent on the bench (namely McGee, Morrison and Wilson)

Our 1 would be... Byrd?

That would leave some great talent on the bench (namely McGee, Morrison and Wilson)

i would go with kelsay instead of merriman but the formation leans toward 3 DTs agree with LBs and at CB put McGee with the kids. this sounds like a package def not a base and I like it but you gotta get pressure and get it fast. i would play it here and there but not everywhere sam i am. sorry i couldnt help myself. But in all seriousness i would say go for it.

Our 5 would be Williams, Kelsey, KW, Dareus, Anderson using the two new DEs to cap what the starting line was supposed to be last year.

Our 3 would be... Williams and Gillmore and another CB probably McGee (2+1=3).

Talent will be left on the bench - problem would be is there enough DL to rotate in to keep them fresh.

Wilson being on the bench is the biggest weakness, he was a real play maker last year.

I am talking about 5 DL (I'd guess they would put KW as center), 2 LBs, 3 CBs and a safety? Remember reading about it a couple of years ago bur Bills never had the horsepower. Teams would probably try to match it with 5 WRs and try to get between the DL and LBs but there would be a lot of pressure on OL and QB especially without a RB to pick up a blocker.

Some college teams run a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5. It's basically our nickel and dime packages that they say we run half the time.

Some college teams run a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5. It's basically our nickel and dime packages that they say we run half the time.

yup. expect even more of this.

on the 5-2, thats where the 3-4 comes from. a 3-4 OLB is a stand-up DE. so id guess quite a few teams went 5-2 ;)

Edited by playman

Our 1 would be... Byrd?

A WMD does mean A- Anderson, Weapon- Williams, Mass- Mario, Destruction- Dareus... I like it. Im for calling the front four A WMD!

The 4-2-5 look could be a game-changer in the pass-happy NFL if you've got a stellar D line. It would appear the Bills now have the horses to show this look. In order to protect against the run, I'd envision Scott as one of the five DBs.

The bills have played a modified version of this a lot in the past under Cotrell. They run a 50 out of the 34. Basically the 2 OLB are on the line setting the edge and the traditional DE's play over the guards and the NT over the center. I don't see the need for it in this pass happy league.

Are you talking about an over/under front with a stand up LB playing? Or a three man T,N,T front with 2 stand up guys or ends?

With all the pressure you would try to apply on the QB, you could expect a lot more 0 coverage.

Edited by STLBILLS15

Seems like putting the QB in shotgun and running a lot of quick passing plays would back off that kind of undisguised pressure. Playing from a base 4-man line and throwing in the odd blitz would likely be more effective...

Edited by Lurker

if you bring five dudes its a blitz. If your scheme is to bring 5, you may need to change the fifth guy rushing, or opposing QB's will go to the uncovered part of the field. And, one safety won't work either, unless you want to see if our db's can run up and down the field one on one. Can't wait to see Aaron Williams chasing after mike Wallace on a streak, with one safety back there.

Just my opinion.

Don't know about 5-2-3-1 but the giants play a 4-3-4 that can turn into a 5-1-5 they use Mathias Kiwanuka 6,5 267 at LB/DE and play Jacquian Williams 6,2 223 a small fast LB who can drop like a safety. The Bills could probably do something similar with Merriman and Scott/Searcy if they wanted to.

A 50 front is reserved for short yardage and conversely 3rd and a mile, as well as double TE formations. It's more simple than switching personel too, simply slide the line to the strong side and the WIL steps up and shades outside shoulder of the TE on the weak side. MLB and SAM slide to cover the middle, like a 34 LB set. Usually, the SS will cheat up into more of a teener LB/DB position to help out with the short pass and/or PA. That leaves the secondary in a cover 3, essentially. Personally, I think its a pop warner/HS D, maybe some Colleges, but I don't like it at the NFL level. Just my HO.

, I think its a pop warner/HS D, maybe some Colleges, but I don't like it at the NFL level. Just my HO.

A lot of more athletic high school teams run this as well , and run cover 0, quarters, or thirds behind it. It's a tough theory to hope "our guys get there before the QB throws the ball" situation. But i agree, It's really not a fit in an NFL defense.

For what it's worth, my high school team ran a 5-2-2-2

We had five down linemen, two LBs, two "inverts" and two DBs. Depending on the flow of the play, one invert moved up to play more-or-less like a LB. The other would drop back to play centerfield.

We went 8-0 and I think only gave up 2 TDs all season long running this D my junior year. My senior year, though, we went 2-6.

The 4-2-5 look could be a game-changer in the pass-happy NFL if you've got a stellar D line. It would appear the Bills now have the horses to show this look. In order to protect against the run, I'd envision Scott as one of the five DBs.

You are completely right this could revolutionize the game. Then on sure passing downs you could put all DE pass rushers in even in the tackle spots. They should have interesting names too like kikunika or drayhan or even a double hyphen thing with two first names like Peter-Phil I bet they would even be able to beat high powered passing attacks like the patriots or the packers. This would definitely win a super bowl or two.

Houston really need to consider trying this...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

This is a great thread. No doubt the defensive roster looks like it's being molded into a strong base nickel. If this defense can stop the run and rush the passer while lined up in the nickel then we might see some really special football from these guys. What I like best is that the current roster has so many players that are yet to play their best football. :beer:

Didn't Wanny or someone actually say this? That they'd use Scott this year as a hybrid? Maybe in something like a 4-2-5 where he could either function as a DB or LB or something in-between?

Didn't Wanny or someone actually say this? That they'd use Scott this year as a hybrid? Maybe in something like a 4-2-5 where he could either function as a DB or LB or something in-between?

Scott was a hybrid nickel backer in Jairon tampa 2.

Jeeze folks i am excited about this year too but 4-2 nickel is not a new concept nor is 4-1-6 dime (Chicagos famed 46)...

The d schene they play this year wil resemble the cowboys that beat our bills in 2 superbowls.

Basically a 5-2 is what you are describing. 5 D-line, 2 LB's, and 4 DB's. For whatever reason its hard to keep 5 D-line on the field as it opens you up to being spread out. The 5-2-3-1 basically is like committing the extra safety in the box but as a D-lineman. It could work as a wrinkle to a D particularly in the Goal line or Redzone.

But a 4-2-3-2 accomplishes a similar feat but keeps the D much less susceptible to speed.

On running downs, sure, since he's the quasi-linebacker anyway. But on passing downs, probably somebody either with more range, or more of a blitz threat that the offense has to account for.