T.O. tells Dr. Phil he squandered $80 million

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an coach and sub teacher locally, I second this post. I could give stories of being emasculated by administration because the faculty member was maintaining control of the room while the kid was acting like a fool. Our society sucks at parenting in general.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you teachers have it so rough. Get paid a decent salary, get your summers off, end of the day for you is 2:00, get a week off for Christmas, week off for Easter, a week off in Febuary because the kids need a winter break, get free or nearly free medical & dental insurance & get a nice cushy pension when you retire when your 50 all on the tax payer's dime. The school districts keep telling everybody that taxes keep going up because they need to find the money to fund all of this. Why don't they do what every business in the free world is doing now & you know do away with pensions & setup 401k's & make the employees pay a good % of the health benefits. My school taxes are nearly $4 grand a year now & have gone up every year in the last 6 years since I moved into my house in Lancaster. Got little sympathy for teachers.

No, not really. There was an SI article from 2009 that said 78% of NFL players are either in bankruptcy or financial distress within 2 years of retirement.

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/b/2009/09/20/78-of-nfl-players-bankrupt-or-in-financial-distress-within-2-years-of-retirement.htm

EDIT: Damn, Tonyd19 beat me to it :)

Wow, that's pretty sad.

not the brightest crayon in the box...although, i'm not sure what's worse, squandering 80 million or going on that moron's show to talk about it. "dr". phil is a buffoon.

going on that show is another "cry for help" from T.O., he has a history with attempted suicide......god forbid, but would it surprise anyone if we have another junior seau tragic ending from T.O. ?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you teachers have it so rough. Get paid a decent salary, get your summers off, end of the day for you is 2:00, get a week off for Christmas, week off for Easter, a week off in Febuary because the kids need a winter break, get free or nearly free medical & dental insurance & get a nice cushy pension when you retire when your 50 all on the tax payer's dime. The school districts keep telling everybody that taxes keep going up because they need to find the money to fund all of this. Why don't they do what every business in the free world is doing now & you know do away with pensions & setup 401k's & make the employees pay a good % of the health benefits. My school taxes are nearly $4 grand a year now & have gone up every year in the last 6 years since I moved into my house in Lancaster. Got little sympathy for teachers.

I'd love to see you go to an inner city or somewhere down south and say how easy it is to be a teacher. Some of these kids have so many issues that school is the last thing on their mind. And because there are so many deadbeat parents, you almost have to become a parent to these kids. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs around. But working in a cube is much harder. :thumbsup:

And I don't wish this on anyone, but it's kinda hard to feel sorry for TO. Maybe he can ask Jeff Garcia or McNabb for some help. Karma is very real. You treat people like crap and it comes back on you. And if he wasn't the worst teammate ever or didn't blame everyone but himself, he would have a job in the league because he still can play.

Roughly 80% of all NFL athletes file bankruptcy withing two years of retirement. The major reason for this is divorce. You can read about it here. I have a page on my website that deals specifically with the troubles professional athletes face with financial literacy. You would not believe how many of these guys go broke quickly.

http://www.elysien.com/elysien-clients/professional-athletes/

Bill Polian was talking about the "retirement" angle yesterday.

Imagine you are the best athlete around growing up. People realize you are talented and will help you for a variety of reasons, some of them quite well intended. You've dedicated your life year round for as long as you can remember to a single game. You live in a world where your mistakes are cushioned and your life is guided into a future on rails.

Then, you reach the end of your athletic career. The entire support system disappears overnight. You're in your 30s and everything you have known is turned upside down.

His point was that the system has done a grave disservice to the people that have bled for professional sports in general. As soon as the system has rung its last peso from the athlete, the athlete walks right off the end of a plank.

There is no doubt a truth that the public is fascinated by the fall of heroes as much (some would say more) than their rise to stardom. Perhaps the system is built to reinforce this schadenfreude.

I'd love to see you go to an inner city or somewhere down south and say how easy it is to be a teacher. Some of these kids have so many issues that school is the last thing on their mind. And because there are so many deadbeat parents, you almost have to become a parent to these kids. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs around. But working in a cube is much harder. :thumbsup:

And I don't wish this on anyone, but it's kinda hard to feel sorry for TO. Maybe he can ask Jeff Garcia or McNabb for some help. Karma is very real. You treat people like crap and it comes back on you. And if he wasn't the worst teammate ever or didn't blame everyone but himself, he would have a job in the league because he still can play.

Never said teaching was an easy job biscuit, but why should everybody fund their pensions? Have them do what everybody else does & set up a 401k for them. That would solve alot of the budget issues. As far as the cube comment, you have no idea what I do for a living so that is a pretty ignorant statement.

Never said teaching was an easy job biscuit, but why should everybody fund their pensions? Have them do what everybody else does & set up a 401k for them. That would solve alot of the budget issues. As far as the cube comment, you have no idea what I do for a living so that is a pretty ignorant statement.

You're right and sorry if you took offense. But our priorities are all messed up in this country. Teachers have a pretty good schedule but they also make like 30 grand for the most part. It is one of the most important professions we have. And all districts do now is cut jobs. It's small wonder our kids, who are supposed to be the future, are more messed up than ever.

And if you live in Lancaster and have a family, I would guess one of the major reasons you moved there and don't live in Buffalo is because of the schools. IMO, the education system should be the top priority in this country and it isn't.

You're right and sorry if you took offense. But our priorities are all messed up in this country. Teachers have a pretty good schedule but they also make like 30 grand for the most part. It is one of the most important professions we have. And all districts do now is cut jobs. It's small wonder our kids, who are supposed to be the future, are more messed up than ever.

And if you live in Lancaster and have a family, I would guess one of the major reasons you moved there and don't live in Buffalo is because of the schools. IMO, the education system should be the top priority in this country and it isn't.

Can't argue with that line of thinking & I also can not argue with the quality education my son is getting. He is only in 2nd grade & already is learning some basic geometry. Maybe in other parts of the country they make $30 grand but I know a couple teachers that are friends of mine & they all make over $80 grand. Not like that is crazy money but it is still pretty good. Taxes are out of control in Lancaster as they are in several other suburbs in WNY. I mean people are buying $300K houses in Lancaster & get a tax bill for $10-$11 grand per year. That is pretty steep.

I agree with you about teaching being important, but their salaries are higher than you think. Here's the 2008 New York City salary schedule from a teacher union website:

http://www.uft.org/o...edules/teachers

To understand the New York City teacher 2008 salary chart in the above link, you also need the following explanation of salary "steps:"

http://www.uft.org/o...ts/salary-steps

A salary step is an incremental increase in salary based on previous qualifying professional experience. You’ll earn more money the longer you stay in the system.

For the first eight years in the teacher salary schedule, these are called “steps.” If you teach without interruption, you will move two steps (e.g. 1A and 1B) for each year you work, increasing your earnings up to Step 8B.

All appointed teachers and other UFT pedagogical titles will automatically receive pay increases based on salary steps on your anniversary date and on March 1.

Beyond Step 8B, teachers will receive “longevity” increments — also called “longevities” — after you have taught in New York City for five, 10, 13, 15, 18, 20 and 22 years.

I don't know how things have changed since 2008, but in 2008 a NYC teacher with 22 years experience and a Master's degree made an annual salary of $94,154. With an additional 30 credit hours beyond the Master's degree, the salary schedule for 22 years experience topped out at just over $100k.

I would expect WNY teachers to make less because their cost of living is cheaper, but my guess is that they all make over $30k/year, even to start.

Just my two pesos.

Teachers don't get paid to discuss Bills football and it's a shame. The annual salary of how much I give a crap is $00,000.00 a year.

T.O. would do a television show that filmed him begging for money on the street because he's an attention whore.

Edited by benderbender

I guess he must have had to turn over the key to the city in child support.

The guy has some big time issues. Without rehashing it all, the amateur psychologist in me thinks that they mostly stem from the whole situation regarding his dad.

The whole thing is very sad. Nevertheless, can you imagine how much effort it must take to piss away $80 million in such a short period of time. I cannot imagine going through so much money so quickly.

Unfortunately, I suspect that this is not going to end well for him -- especially since he has managed to burn so many bridges along the way to squandering so much money.

At the beginning of the program TO chronologically listed the teams he played for and he skipped right over Buffalo

The budgets for school districts rarely go down. Any "cuts" are forced because of the unfunded pension obligations the districts/states have for teachers that are retired or approaching retirement. The retirement age should be bumped up to over 65 or this system will collapse.

Perhaps I should put it another way.... the total cost/spending of "education" doesn't go down. When was the last time your school taxes or property taxes went down? Never.

The reason teachers would need to be cut is because the cost of keeping their retired colleagues comfy in perpetuity continuously rises. Those are the costs of "education".

If the state limited their retirement benefits, this problem would disappear.