Drayton Florence Released

Doubt it. They cut him this early so they could give him a chance to catch on with another team. He'll be gone in a few days for vet league min.

In my opinion....it was going to be either Florence, McKelvin, or MgGee that was not going to make this team

- They probably figure that with McKelvin in his final year he is gonna play large trying to get a large contract

- They just resigned MgGee to that extension...and when healthy was our best corner last year

- That leaves Drayton....who I have no doubt would have played better this year with that new pass rush but he is getting older and was expensive

Releasing him now gives him time to get a good deal with another team...this release was to help Drayton out of respect.

This and this.

The Bills are a class organization. They won't make a guy go through camp when they think they are going to cut him. That's not fair. Let him sign on elsewhere and go through their camp. It's better for him to release him now.

As I said in the Gilmore? thread. If it came down to Florence or McGee, it had to be Florence.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you used the wrong word again. :devil: I don't think it is just as "prestigious" at all. It is much more prestigious to be a pro bowl player and invited to the game than just being considered on the ballot. It may be just as "indicative" of a pro bowl caliber player, yes. What you're trying to say, I would agree with for the most part.

I would disagree with you. I think it's just as prestigious. There is not an NFL coach, GM or Scout who consider the final Pro Bowl team a measure of a players skill. BUT, there are many who see the nominated list as a general guideline for the upper tier of the league. Everything after the nomination stage is simply popularity.

I would disagree with you. I think it's just as prestigious. There is not an NFL coach, GM or Scout who consider the final Pro Bowl team a measure of a players skill. BUT, there are many who see the nominated list as a general guideline for the upper tier of the league. Everything after the nomination stage is simply popularity.

Again, fair enough. I would argue that if every single one of those NFL Coaches, GMs or Scouts were talking about a player, and that player actually was voted to the pro bowl, they would talk about him in terms of "he's a pro bowl player" or "he went to the pro bowl", and not, "he was nominated for the pro bowl" or "he's a pro bowl caliber player". Hence, it is not as prestigious.

its disappointing after seeing how pumped up he was about the city and team this offseason, but you have to put the best players on the field.

This will be missed.

He was horrible last year, and after several games he admitted as much. He was making too much money to play as inconsistently as he had.

This will not be missed

Or pay Fred Jackson his money...

This better not be missed!!

Again, fair enough. I would argue that if every single one of those NFL Coaches, GMs or Scouts were talking about a player, and that player actually was voted to the pro bowl, they would talk about him in terms of "he's a pro bowl player" or "he went to the pro bowl", and not, "he was nominated for the pro bowl" or "he's a pro bowl caliber player". Hence, it is not as prestigious.

Fair enough LOL.

Although I somewhat understand the point you're trying to make. I would have hired you as my agent any day of the week. Why? There simply is no escalating clause for simply being nominated for NFL honors. Pro bowl=Popularity contest maybe. But no GM will add a nomination and pay a contractual bonus just for a nomination. So to say a nomination is as prestigious as winning the honor is flat out wrong. Certainly from a players point of view.

As for diverting from your Jason Peters point, it's been discussed here for years. Even when I was just a lurker. The Bills screwed up by overpaying huge for the free agent guards (that sucked), and then playing hard ball with a pro bowl LT. New contract or not it was very poor management. I am not a fan of Peters BS but if he had kept his mouth shut he would still be ours. Watch D. Bell make the pro bowl this year. That would suck.

Florence was either hot or cold during his stay in Buffalo.

When he was bad, he was oftentimes getting flagged for multiple pass interference calls in a single game; thus costing a practical football field in penalty yards. He would be abused with holding calls, hands to the face, etc.

When he was good, he was returning INT's for TD's.

There never seemed to be a middle ground.

For the amount of his salary, and for the mercurial nature of Mr. Florence, I think that this is a wise move.

Now if we could only shed Kelsay....

Although I somewhat understand the point you're trying to make. I would have hired you as my agent any day of the week. Why? There simply is no escalating clause for simply being nominated for NFL honors. Pro bowl=Popularity contest maybe. But no GM will add a nomination and pay a contractual bonus just for a nomination. So to say a nomination is as prestigious as winning the honor is flat out wrong. Certainly from a players point of view.

As for diverting from your Jason Peters point, it's been discussed here for years. Even when I was just a lurker. The Bills screwed up by overpaying huge for the free agent guards (that sucked), and then playing hard ball with a pro bowl LT. New contract or not it was very poor management. I am not a fan of Peters BS but if he had kept his mouth shut he would still be ours. Watch D. Bell make the pro bowl this year. That would suck.

Bell was a good player and he should have been re-signed. He had 1 false start and only gave up 1/2 sack through 8 games last season.

Seriously? You're counting "nominated" to the pro bowl as being a pro bowl player? Nominated means your name is on the ballot. It doesn't even designate a pro bowl alternate.

Wait a minute, does this mean we can start calling Fitz a Pro Bowl QB?

Fitzpatrick hasn't been nominated, so no.

What list are you talking about? He was on the ballot last year and he finished fourth behind Tim Tebow in the balloting. The top three QBs go to the game, with a third of the votes between the fans, coaches and the players. Yes, it is the fan ballot but that is really the only one there is. We don't know if he was considered by the coaches or by the players for their third of the voting, but it is likely the same ballot. In fact, Terrell Suggs came out last year and said he voted for Fitzpatrick on his ballot instead of Tebow.

its disappointing after seeing how pumped up he was about the city and team this offseason, but you have to put the best players on the field.

Florence is better than Rogers and McKelvin for sure and we haven't seen Gilmore or Brooks play a down so this isn't about putting the best players on the field, IMO. Why not wait until you see what the new guys can do, at least in training camp, before you release a starter? Makes no sense to me.

All I can say is: about time. Wish him the best as a person, but man was he horrible in coverage. Thank God Nix and Chan are going to give their young guys an opportunity to make a difference. There's going to be growing pains and some frustrating moments watching the young guys play but it's a necessary step for getting a much better secondary in the long-run.