Midnight show of The Avengers

Went to a Friday Matinee, 4pm show, had no problem getting seats (AND my neighborhood theater serves beer/wine :thumbsup: ).

Dont have much to add, other than it was as AWESOME as I had hoped for, and I had high hopes. I hope they keep Joss Whedon for the sequels. He's a genius with an ensemble cast.

It's funny, I remember posting in threads YEARS ago when Marvel first became it's own studio and started down this Avengers path. The Thor and Capt America movies were still years out and just being rumored as ideas. I dont even think Iron Man had come out yet.

I remember being really worried about how they were going to do Thor and Capt America without them seeming "hookie". I have to hand it to them, all the characters are great.

My favorite might be the Hulk. And while I liked Ed Norton Jr, Mark Ruffalo is almost made for the part. Was very impressed with his portrayal.

Great job!

And now I get to sit and wait for the Dark Knight... What a summer!! (choosing to ignore Battleship, lol)

Edited by DrDareustein

I don't watch a lot of movies, so this really means nothing, but it has the best special effects I've ever seen. Got there 20 minutes early and it wasn't early enough -- got stuck in the fourth row. Surprised by how funny it is.

I don't watch a lot of movies, so this really means nothing, but it has the best special effects I've ever seen. Got there 20 minutes early and it wasn't early enough -- got stuck in the fourth row. Surprised by how funny it is.

Agree on the CGI and special effects - while I was watching it I was thinking there is really nothing they can't show anymore- if you want to show Cthulhu from Lovecraft or any scene from classic Science fiction or sword and sorcery fantasy you can- it's pretty much only limited to your imagination and budget. As for funny, that one scene is hilarious and may even be funnier than the Indiana Jones scene.

Just got back from the 2am showing...had a blast. The 12am and the three shows after that one sold out, so I was hoping I timed it right when I chose the 2am showing. Turns out it was just about perfect...had plenty of room in the theater, only about 30 or 40 people in there. It's not often you get to see the biggest blockbuster of the summer on opening night with most of the theater to yourself :) With too few people it's not as much fun, so it was just about right.

As for the movie, it was a great ride. I have to give Joss Whedon credit...he did a great job. The running time is 2.5 hrs though, so with previews it ends up being close to 3hrs in the seat, so if you tend to get antsy sitting in one place for so long, be forewarned. I had heard someone say in a review that one of its strengths was how Whedon got all the main players enough screen time where it felt very balanced. I definitely agree with this and no matter which character you want to see most, you'll be happy. The plot isn't as involved as something like The Dark Knight, but it's not "surfacy" either. It felt about right, and the few times when I was JUST about to think it was slowing down too much, Whedon throws something in there to make sure you're still right there with him. I thought Ruffalo did a great job as the Hulk and Robert Downey Jr was fantastic. Also, this is probably the best looking film I've seen in a while...the CGI was very realistic and the action scenes were well done overall.

Is it a GREAT film? I'd have to see it again to make that call. My initial reaction is 'no', but I don't think it set out to be that. But it's certainly worth a trip to the theater and it's a lot of fun. I do have one question for the comic nerds here if someone could PM me the answer to this question. I will use spoiler tags to protect the innocent:

At the end, after the preliminary credits, who is the pink guy in the hat who smiles at the notion that engaging the humans may be a death wish?

AJ, not sure if anyone answered your question...

Sacrilege!!! The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero movie of all time. Heath Ledger killed it as The Joker!!! He absolutely made that movie. The Avengers doesn't even come close.

LoL! I loved The Dark Knight. But seeing all of the Marvel heros together like that really blew me away. Now, if DC did a justice league movie.....

So..........what did you think of the movie?

Thought it was great movie with good little parts which I would expect in one of Joss's picks. I do not believe there is a director who could do as good as as job as he did. Little things annoyed me but it is because I am a comics fan; I know that Hollywood producers and actors insist on some of them. It was much better than X-men who tramped all over franchise.

Went to a Friday Matinee, 4pm show, had no problem getting seats (AND my neighborhood theater serves beer/wine :thumbsup: ).

Dont have much to add, other than it was as AWESOME as I had hoped for, and I had high hopes. I hope they keep Joss Whedon for the sequels. He's a genius with an ensemble cast.

It's funny, I remember posting in threads YEARS ago when Marvel first became it's own studio and started down this Avengers path. The Thor and Capt America movies were still years out and just being rumored as ideas. I dont even think Iron Man had come out yet.

I remember being really worried about how they were going to do Thor and Capt America without them seeming "hookie". I have to hand it to them, all the characters are great.

My favorite might be the Hulk. And while I liked Ed Norton Jr, Mark Ruffalo is almost made for the part. Was very impressed with his portrayal.

Great job!

And now I get to sit and wait for the Dark Knight... What a summer!! (choosing to ignore Battleship, lol)

I was concerned about Captain America as a stand alone movie too. I saw it as Marvel's toughest sell. The WWII setting, the boy scout type of superhero & would the costume look too silly in a non comic book world? Turns out that "Captain America" was a big surprise and a very entertaining movie.

Mark Ruffalo did a great job, and Chris Hemsworth continues to impress me as well. Each and every character did a fine job in their roles.

You won't be the only one ignoring "Battleship", lol. Having said that, it is shaping up to be a good summer. Bring on "The Dark Knight Rises"!

I was concerned about Captain America as a stand alone movie too. I saw it as Marvel's toughest sell. The WWII setting, the boy scout type of superhero & would the costume look too silly in a non comic book world? Turns out that "Captain America" was a big surprise and a very entertaining movie.

Mark Ruffalo did a great job, and Chris Hemsworth continues to impress me as well. Each and every character did a fine job in their roles.

You won't be the only one ignoring "Battleship", lol. Having said that, it is shaping up to be a good summer. Bring on "The Dark Knight Rises"!

Both Nolan's Batman series and Breaking Bad are ending this year. I don't know if I can handle it :ph34r:

Is it a GREAT film? I'd have to see it again to make that call. My initial reaction is 'no', but I don't think it set out to be that. But it's certainly worth a trip to the theater and it's a lot of fun. I do have one question for the comic nerds here if someone could PM me the answer to this question. I will use spoiler tags to protect the innocent:

At the end, after the preliminary credits, who is the pink guy in the hat who smiles at the notion that engaging the humans may be a death wish?

I enjoyed the movie but did not think it was great due to one main reason - weak script. I am willing to give Whedon the benefit of doubt and think he melllowed the story to accommodate the various individual plot lines running in parallel. That way it makes the movie more accessible to the average watcher. A strategy which has obviously worked considering the worldwide box office take.

Jay has already told you about your question, but here are more details.

My major complaint was that much of the third act resembles the Transformers 3 plot line. Alien armies coming to earth, using a portal, snake-like mechanical creatures destroying everything in their path. The only difference is that instead of autobots, it is superheroes protecting the earth.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

What's real sad is seeing how little money such a good movie made on opening weekend. Piracy is really killing the movie industry, no one is going to see movies anymore. Not sure how their going to pay for any other movies after this flop... B-)

Yeah, that looks awful.

And it's not the least bit surprising, but I've already seen ads for the movie version of the Battleship game, complete with "special weapons". :wallbash:

Does anybody have a link for the final after credits scene? I was an idiot and bailed after the 1st extra scene. :wallbash:

You didnt miss much. Per an online fan page: There was no dialogue at all and the scene was meant to show how tired the six heroes were after the battle. Chris Evans, having short hair and a beard, had to wear prosthetics and covered his face with his arm, and we see all the characters chewing slowly as the mighty Thor dug in for one big bite.

Pic: http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Avengers-shawarma.jpg

You didnt miss much. Per an online fan page: There was no dialogue at all and the scene was meant to show how tired the six heroes were after the battle. Chris Evans, having short hair and a beard, had to wear prosthetics and covered his face with his arm, and we see all the characters chewing slowly as the mighty Thor dug in for one big bite.

Pic: http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Avengers-shawarma.jpg

Thanks!

This is just a rumor, so don't shoot the messenger...but apparently Whedon put the Firefly ship somewhere in the Avengers film and there are people who have reported seeing it. Second, Whedon has apparently also been on record RECENTLY indicating he's hopeful that the Firefly series will get a 2nd chance at life, with the possible suitor being, of all things, Netflix. Apparently Netflix is interested in picking up shows that died a premature death and producing them.

I don't have a source for this, this is all just speculation and rumor...but I thought it was interesting for those who love the Firefly/Serenity universe.

This is just a rumor, so don't shoot the messenger...but apparently Whedon put the Firefly ship somewhere in the Avengers film and there are people who have reported seeing it. Second, Whedon has apparently also been on record RECENTLY indicating he's hopeful that the Firefly series will get a 2nd chance at life, with the possible suitor being, of all things, Netflix. Apparently Netflix is interested in picking up shows that died a premature death and producing them.

I don't have a source for this, this is all just speculation and rumor...but I thought it was interesting for those who love the Firefly/Serenity universe.

Netflix has been talking about doing that sort of thing lately.

I'm going to see The Avengers again, so I'll be looking for those types of little things that I always miss the first time around.

Isn't Castle a pretty successful show right now? They'd have a hard time doing Firefly without the main character.

Isn't Castle a pretty successful show right now? They'd have a hard time doing Firefly without the main character.

Never seen it, to be honest. Can't do Firefly w/out Mal, though, that's for sure

Netflix has been talking about doing that sort of thing lately.

I'm going to see The Avengers again, so I'll be looking for those types of little things that I always miss the first time around.

There's been a significant amount of word of mouth and grass roots Firefly/Serenity stuff going on since the film...I would imagine there is more of a fan base there to tap into than they realize.

If you see the ship, let us know!

What's real sad is seeing how little money such a good movie made on opening weekend. Piracy is really killing the movie industry, no one is going to see movies anymore. Not sure how their going to pay for any other movies after this flop... B-)

You're mistaken. Piracy is not a threat to a movie like the Avengers for numerous reasons. First, it's designed to be seen on the big screen, so even if you have the option to see it illegally, most would prefer to see it on the big screen as the good lord intended. Second, they released it in Europe almost 3 weeks early, cutting a huge chunk of the piracy market out of the picture early. This has become the standard for opening big movies now: Europe and Asia first, the US second.

The threat of piracy isn't found in threatening the profitability of giant tent-pole event movies like the Avengers. Instead it threatens diversity in the cinema. It's the 20 million and under movies that get hurt the most which makes studio's and exhibitors less inclined to release these sorts of films. Classic films without a built in audience wouldn't get a release today because of Piracy, films like The Godfather (I and II), Mean Streets, Midnight Cowboy, Alien, etc. etc.

So you can keep acting like pirating movies doesn't hurt anyone, but it does. It's forcing Hollywood to take less risks, make fewer movies and bloat the marketplace with utter shite. Sure, occasionally one of the big tent-poles does it right but for every Dark Knight and Avengers you have 20 Transformer 3s and Battleships.

So you can keep acting like pirating movies doesn't hurt anyone, but it does. It's forcing Hollywood to take less risks, make fewer movies and bloat the marketplace with utter shite. Sure, occasionally one of the big tent-poles does it right but for every Dark Knight and Avengers you have 20 Transformer 3s and Battleships.

Battleship is the studio playing it safe? That was the time I have ever seen an entire theater audience collectively laugh at a trailer for a non-comedy movie.

Battleship is the studio playing it safe? That was the time I have ever seen an entire theater audience collectively laugh at a trailer for a non-comedy movie.

I have a feeling it is going to be the odds on favorite to sweep the razzies this year and is going to be talked about as one of the bigger box office bombs. Its probably going to end up being this years "Cowboys vs. Aliens"

lol greg, the last time we had this discussion, you argued that piracy hurts the small films because the large ones dont make their money back, and therefore the studios dont have the funds to invest in the small films. now its that piracy doesnt really hurt the big films, it just scares the studios away from the small films.

there always seems to be a convenient excuse as to why the studios only push the shlock instead of the art. the reality is, they arent really in it for the films, just the $. Hollywood has been taking less risks long before the internet piracy threat. im sure when Battleship bombs, they'll say it would have made more money if it wasnt for piracy but now that they lost so much on a pile of crap, they wont be able to fund smaller films. and that's all piracy's fault, right?

their business model is a mess, as are their business choices. that hurts the studios more than piracy. that's really what it comes down to.

lol greg, the last time we had this discussion, you argued that piracy hurts the small films because the large ones dont make their money back, and therefore the studios dont have the funds to invest in the small films. now its that piracy doesnt really hurt the big films, it just scares the studios away from the small films.

there always seems to be a convenient excuse as to why the studios only push the shlock instead of the art. the reality is, they arent really in it for the films, just the $. Hollywood has been taking less risks long before the internet piracy threat. im sure when Battleship bombs, they'll say it would have made more money if it wasnt for piracy but now that they lost so much on a pile of crap, they wont be able to fund smaller films. and that's all piracy's fault, right?

their business model is a mess, as are their business choices. that hurts the studios more than piracy. that's really what it comes down to.

Keep in mind, there's an entire world of independent film where the dollars and cents are less of a priority. A world where lead actors don't get paid $10 million just to show up.

Keep in mind, there's an entire world of independent film where the dollars and cents are less of a priority. A world where lead actors don't get paid $10 million just to show up.

yep, I began to touch on that in my last discussion with greg. I stated that the Internet will help the independents move away from Studios and still make money (or even more money). The middle-man (studios) will no longer be needed as people can distribute their film to the entire world instantly. But I was told that the studios arent middlemen, they actually make the films. Kind of insulting to the writers, directors, actors, editors, grips, etc. if you ask me... but greg knows the biz.

yep, I began to touch on that in my last discussion with greg. I stated that the Internet will help the independents move away from Studios and still make money (or even more money). The middle-man (studios) will no longer be needed as people can distribute their film to the entire world instantly. But I was told that the studios arent middlemen, they actually make the films. Kind of insulting to the writers, directors, actors, editors, grips, etc. if you ask me... but greg knows the biz.

I won't pretend to know the industry well enough to offer my opinion on the studios' specific role in the process.

My biggest beef with Hollywood and the studios is just the incessant pre-packaging. Oh boy, Jim Carrey making silly faces! Kevin James is a goofball, yaaayyy! Now watch Liam Neeson kick peoples' asses.

And as much as I love most of the superhero movies, it's becoming rarer and rarer to see a hit movie that doesn't involve a secure pre-sold source material.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Agreed. And I mean no offense to tgreg. My beef isnt with him, nor do I back the stealing of property. I, personally, do not download movies.

But I digress...

Avengers, great flick, go see it!

Edited by DrDareustein

I enjoyed the movie but did not think it was great due to one main reason - weak script. I am willing to give Whedon the benefit of doubt and think he melllowed the story to accommodate the various individual plot lines running in parallel. That way it makes the movie more accessible to the average watcher. A strategy which has obviously worked considering the worldwide box office take.

Jay has already told you about your question, but here are more details.

My major complaint was that much of the third act resembles the Transformers 3 plot line. Alien armies coming to earth, using a portal, snake-like mechanical creatures destroying everything in their path. The only difference is that instead of autobots, it is superheroes protecting the earth.

I'll agree with you on the payoff of the third act, that it was not very inventive, but I would not say that "The Avengers" had a weak script.

I'll agree with you on the payoff of the third act, that it was not very inventive, but I would not say that "The Avengers" had a weak script.

My comment wasn't meant to take away the fact that it is a very good film (not that you implied I did). I just thought that while I would give it an enthusiatic 4 out of 5, a more innovate plot and development would have pushed it over into great territory. Again, IMHO the slight watering down was intentional.