Midnight show of The Avengers

Just got out, thought the movie was very good. I would say it at least equals the other marvel movies.

Not sure what below is spoiler or not, so I'll just do it all:

The transition from one fight/superhero to another during the battle scene was fantastic!

Finally, after horrible TV shows and movies (yes, even the last one), I remember why Hulk was my favorite superhero growing up! I love the fear/respect that everybody gave him.

Scarlett Johansson has an amazing a** (Okay, I'm quite sure that one isn't a spoiler)

Once again I'm very impressed with Chris Hemsworth as Thor.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Anyone know if there are a "planned" amount of movies? I'm guessing they all only do one more unless they were locked up further than that.

And finally I have to throw in that as good as this movie was, in the end I think the biggest thing I took away from this is how excited I've become to see Prometheus. I really hope the promo's do it justice and it doesn't suck!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the 2am showing...had a blast. The 12am and the three shows after that one sold out, so I was hoping I timed it right when I chose the 2am showing. Turns out it was just about perfect...had plenty of room in the theater, only about 30 or 40 people in there. It's not often you get to see the biggest blockbuster of the summer on opening night with most of the theater to yourself :) With too few people it's not as much fun, so it was just about right.

As for the movie, it was a great ride. I have to give Joss Whedon credit...he did a great job. The running time is 2.5 hrs though, so with previews it ends up being close to 3hrs in the seat, so if you tend to get antsy sitting in one place for so long, be forewarned. I had heard someone say in a review that one of its strengths was how Whedon got all the main players enough screen time where it felt very balanced. I definitely agree with this and no matter which character you want to see most, you'll be happy. The plot isn't as involved as something like The Dark Knight, but it's not "surfacy" either. It felt about right, and the few times when I was JUST about to think it was slowing down too much, Whedon throws something in there to make sure you're still right there with him. I thought Ruffalo did a great job as the Hulk and Robert Downey Jr was fantastic. Also, this is probably the best looking film I've seen in a while...the CGI was very realistic and the action scenes were well done overall.

Is it a GREAT film? I'd have to see it again to make that call. My initial reaction is 'no', but I don't think it set out to be that. But it's certainly worth a trip to the theater and it's a lot of fun. I do have one question for the comic nerds here if someone could PM me the answer to this question. I will use spoiler tags to protect the innocent:

At the end, after the preliminary credits, who is the pink guy in the hat who smiles at the notion that engaging the humans may be a death wish?

Just saw it tonight. Had a great time.

Went to a prime time showing to a theatre with a giant screen and an opening night crowd of over 600 people. Atmosphere was great.

I agree that Joss Whedon did an outstanding job. This movie has his fingerprints, and humor, all over it.

I was greatly impressed with how much screen time each main character got, it was very well balanced.

Everyone played their role just right, but I have to say that I was very impressed with Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

When I had heard that Loki would be the villain in this movie I was not that excited, as I thought he was just average in "Thor".

This time around he was just right. His pompous and snarky attitude combined with his disgust for humans and that evil grin on his face, was just perfect.

Marvel continues to put together this string of good entertaining movies while DC is just floundering.

Also that final shot at the very end of the credits was priceless.

Just got out, thought the movie was very good. I would say it at least equals the other marvel movies.

Not sure what below is spoiler or not, so I'll just do it all:

The transition from one fight/superhero to another during the battle scene was fantastic!

Finally, after horrible TV shows and movies (yes, even the last one), I remember why Hulk was my favorite superhero growing up! I love the fear/respect that everybody gave him.

Scarlett Johansson has an amazing a** (Okay, I'm quite sure that one isn't a spoiler)

Once again I'm very impressed with Chris Hemsworth as Thor.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Anyone know if there are a "planned" amount of movies? I'm guessing they all only do one more unless they were locked up further than that.

And finally I have to throw in that as good as this movie was, in the end I think the biggest thing I took away from this is how excited I've become to see Prometheus. I really hope the promo's do it justice and it doesn't suck!

As of right now, "Iron Man 3" will be out next Summer, and "Thor 2" is scheduled for some time next year. Whether there will be a second Avengers movie is yet to be determined.

With the potential money to be made from this movie alone, a second Avengers movie just seems inevitable.

Ok...spill it...'circumstances...' theres got to be a good story here...

someone let me know what happened at the end, after the credits. I was unable to see that in my viewing due to circumstances...

It's not that exciting. The venue in which I was viewing the feature did not have the end of the of the film due to bad filming.

I agree that Joss Whedon did an outstanding job. This movie has his fingerprints, and humor, all over it.

I was greatly impressed with how much screen time each main character got, it was very well balanced.

If there's anything Whedon is good at, it's managing an ensemble cast.

Went to AM matinée this morning and it was sold out; part of it may be they had three theatres but only one was 'regular' - others were 3d and IMAX 3D knowing that overflows would go to those. Had a mother with 5 screaming kids with her telling them she would not pay for IMAX 3D show in afternoon.

Remember at the end of the major fight scene where Iron Man/Tony Stark was talking about going down the street to a restaurant and getting something to eat? Well the scene is all of them sitting around a table in a damaged restaurant eating. That's it, no dialogue. Still funny to see though.

Grossed 80mil in the first day...2nd all time. But worldwide it's already made over 300 MILLION dollars lol....unreal. I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel ;)

Marvel continues to put together this string of good entertaining movies while DC is just floundering.

Loved it! Saw it at midnight and then again yesterday evening. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. I loved the last Batman movie but loved this one more!

Sacrilege!!! The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero movie of all time. Heath Ledger killed it as The Joker!!! He absolutely made that movie. The Avengers doesn't even come close.

Sacrilege!!! The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero movie of all time. Heath Ledger killed it as The Joker!!! He absolutely made that movie. The Avengers doesn't even come close.

Aside from what Christopher Nolan has done for the Batman franchise, what else has DC done recently?

"Green Lantern"? Please. Warner Bros. can not justify a sequel for that flop.

They will re-ignite their Superman franchise with "Man of Steel" scheduled for next year.

Meanwhile "The Justice League" movie, remains in development hell.

Now if you want to sing the praises of "The Dark Knight" as an individual film, which is justified, fine.

But you can not deny that as a whole, Marvel has brilliantly expanded their comic book universe on the silver screen far better than DC has.

If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan's vision of Batman, DC would be in HUGE trouble.

We went to show on Sunday since Saturday was full; bought tickets ahead of time and got half an hour ahead of time. No where were there three seats open which were not saved and so my wife and daughter took 2 in front row of second back section and I took a single seat in 2nd row. I noticed when movie started that the seat was still not taken and never was filled. He 'saved' the seat so he did not have to have anyone sit next to him. In the old days the ushers would walk through aisles when got close to full telling people to make room but now to save money no one does that and often they do not even have anyone in projection booth.

Aside from what Christopher Nolan has done for the Batman franchise, what else has DC done recently?

"Green Lantern"? Please. Warner Bros. can not justify a sequel for that flop.

They will re-ignite their Superman franchise with "Man of Steel" scheduled for next year.

Meanwhile "The Justice League" movie, remains in development hell.

Now if you want to sing the praises of "The Dark Knight" as an individual film, which is justified, fine.

But you can not deny that as a whole, Marvel has brilliantly expanded their comic book universe on the silver screen far better than DC has.

If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan's vision of Batman, DC would be in HUGE trouble.

I agree with all of the above, but The Dark Knight was so good that I think that movie, alone, destroys everything Marvel has come out with....combined!!!!

We went to show on Sunday since Saturday was full; bought tickets ahead of time and got half an hour ahead of time. No where were there three seats open which were not saved and so my wife and daughter took 2 in front row of second back section and I took a single seat in 2nd row. I noticed when movie started that the seat was still not taken and never was filled. He 'saved' the seat so he did not have to have anyone sit next to him. In the old days the ushers would walk through aisles when got close to full telling people to make room but now to save money no one does that and often they do not even have anyone in projection booth.

So..........what did you think of the movie?