Midnight show of The Avengers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really tempted to go tonight...can't wait to see this!

EDIT: Screw it...I'm goin' at 2am :thumbsup:

Edited by ajzepp

Just got back from the 2am showing...had a blast. The 12am and the three shows after that one sold out, so I was hoping I timed it right when I chose the 2am showing. Turns out it was just about perfect...had plenty of room in the theater, only about 30 or 40 people in there. It's not often you get to see the biggest blockbuster of the summer on opening night with most of the theater to yourself :) With too few people it's not as much fun, so it was just about right.

As for the movie, it was a great ride. I have to give Joss Whedon credit...he did a great job. The running time is 2.5 hrs though, so with previews it ends up being close to 3hrs in the seat, so if you tend to get antsy sitting in one place for so long, be forewarned. I had heard someone say in a review that one of its strengths was how Whedon got all the main players enough screen time where it felt very balanced. I definitely agree with this and no matter which character you want to see most, you'll be happy. The plot isn't as involved as something like The Dark Knight, but it's not "surfacy" either. It felt about right, and the few times when I was JUST about to think it was slowing down too much, Whedon throws something in there to make sure you're still right there with him. I thought Ruffalo did a great job as the Hulk and Robert Downey Jr was fantastic. Also, this is probably the best looking film I've seen in a while...the CGI was very realistic and the action scenes were well done overall.

Is it a GREAT film? I'd have to see it again to make that call. My initial reaction is 'no', but I don't think it set out to be that. But it's certainly worth a trip to the theater and it's a lot of fun. I do have one question for the comic nerds here if someone could PM me the answer to this question. I will use spoiler tags to protect the innocent:

At the end, after the preliminary credits, who is the pink guy in the hat who smiles at the notion that engaging the humans may be a death wish?

Edited by ajzepp

Saw it earlier in the week after waiting a week or so. A great movie and I can only wonder what chapter is next in this series; was wondering if there was any more Avengers they might add...

Saw it earlier in the week after waiting a week or so. A great movie and I can only wonder what chapter is next in this series; was wondering if there was any more Avengers they might add...

My hope is that Whedon cooks the books, skims about 30mil off the top and funds a sequel to Serenity. :thumbsup:

someone let me know what happened at the end, after the credits. I was unable to see that in my viewing due to circumstances...

The first scene shows The Other up in space talking about humans to someone else, saying that they will not be ruled and that to oppose The Avengers could lead to death. Pan to that other "person", who is Red and smiling evilly. I've heard the name of this person is Thanos.

Then there's a 2nd scene after ALL the credits, apparently added for the US version. It is a post-battle scene where The Avengers are at the Shawarma place where all of them are eating Shawarma. I guess there's no dialog - just them eating for a minute or two.

The first scene shows The Other up in space talking about humans to someone else, saying that they will not be ruled and that to oppose The Avengers could lead to death. Pan to that other "person", who is Red and smiling evilly. I've heard the name of this person is Thanos.

Then there's a 2nd scene after ALL the credits, apparently added for the US version. It is a post-battle scene where The Avengers are at the Shawarma place where all of them are eating Shawarma. I guess there's no dialog - just them eating for a minute or two.

Shawarma? I'm shocked it wasn't something like Subway, or what ever other Fast Food chain could pay for the product placement in the movie. Makes for great promotions. "When the Avengers aren't out fighting crime, they like to refuel with one of Subways delicious and healthy $5 footlong subs!"

I'm going in about an hour. Hoping mid day won't be too packed, but I think the kids around here are off of school, so we'll see. I usually don't see big movies right away, but I'm on the road right now and have some free time so figure what the hell.

Shawarma? I'm shocked it wasn't something like Subway, or what ever other Fast Food chain could pay for the product placement in the movie. Makes for great promotions. "When the Avengers aren't out fighting crime, they like to refuel with one of Subways delicious and healthy $5 footlong subs!"

There's a joke in the movie that this pertains to.

Having lived in Halifax Nova Scotia for 6 years, Shawarma = Donair - that's some good eatin'

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

My hope is that Whedon cooks the books, skims about 30mil off the top and funds a sequel to Serenity. :thumbsup:

Good luck. Whedon had to kill off characters just to get Universal to produce the first Serenity.

Good luck. Whedon had to kill off characters just to get Universal to produce the first Serenity.

:( I know, it won't happen...I just miss that little universe.