Hasselbeck vs Hoge on the Saints

Hoge is frequently a flat out blowhard, and thinks far more himself than anyone else. Yet, in this case.....I agree with him.

The game should never tolerate players willfully trying to knock opponents out, or worse. Bounty systems are wrong, at any level, so the NFL must do the right thing for the game itself, and continue to come down hard on the Saints, and any other teams doing the same thing.

Edited by Spiderweb

Thought I was okay with the suspensions until I heard Hasslebecks take. Merrill Hoge seems a lil ridiculous to me here. For a guy that played 1 year or so he seems to have too much Skip Bayless in him....Check this out let me know what you think.

youtube.com/watch?v=_oFfMwY-jwo

My link

I'm no huge Hoge fan but he played 7 years. And when you read the following, you can understand his position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merril_Hoge

During a game against the Chiefs in Kansas City, Hoge received a concussion and, five days later, the team doctor approved him to resume playing during a telephone call without examining him to determine if he had recovered; he was still suffering post-concussion symptoms.

Hoge sustained another concussion several weeks later, and had to be resuscitated after he stopped breathing. He spent 48 hours in the intensive-care unit and was forced to retire due to brain injury. Hoge had to learn to read again and experienced memory loss, confusion and headaches. He later sued the Bears team doctor and won a $1.55 million judgment.

Hoge is frequently a flat out blowhard, and thinks far more himself than anyone else. Yet, in this case.....I agree with him.

The game should never tolerate players willfully trying to knock opponents out, or worse. Bounty systems are wrong, at any level, so the NFL must do the right thing for the game itself, and continue to come down hard on the Saints, and any other teams doing the same thing.

Very true points on both sides.......I feel cut the suspensions in half and the point will still be there. I don't think anyone else will mess around with this scenario anymore..

Mrs. Hasslebeck only has a job because of his wife

I'm no huge Hoge fan but he played 7 years. And when you read the following, you can understand his position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merril_Hoge

a lot of people do not like Hoge, but he has always been positive and never negative to the Bills and their fans...

to me, Hoge should be able to speak his mind with his injury history

Very true points on both sides.......I feel cut the suspensions in half and the point will still be there. I don't think anyone else will mess around with this scenario anymore..

I don't think they will be cut in half. They had an independent lawyer look at the facts and she basically said the NFL was correct to suspend these guys and they were as involved as the coaches. All of the information hasn't be fully given over to the NFLPA because it names the player(s) that brought this case to the NFL and the ones who cooperated in the investigation. Yes the suspended players should be able to defend themselves against all the available information, but that information will disclose the "whitsleblowers" who will then be known and not protected (Sapp vs Shockey). In lieu of the concussion suits, suicides and now Seau - not gonna happen. The NFL has to protect itself and come down strong. The very sport we all love is at a huge crossroads.

I never had an issue with $100 for who gets the most sacks or INTs or TDs or whatever. That makes the game a little more fun and is often used in business as a motivational tool for employees. The whole going after ACLs is way overboard. Knocking players out of the game has been around aas long as the game itself (I cheered when we knocked Montana out of the AFC Championship game). Offering $10K to knock Favre out is crossing an ethical line.

Where is the NFLPA sticking up for the players who were targeted? As a union representing all players they are also responsible for those players as well. If the allegations against Vilma, Fujita, Hargrove and Smith are true - should the NFLPA toss them out of the union for intent to injure its other members?

Hoge brings up a good point about players complaining about Pads in practice and limiting the amount of OTAs to the NFLPA, but yet they are too scared to bring up the "bounties" to them for fear of being cut? Hoge was on the money and as a player who had serious issues with concussions; Hasselbeck is just a waste of skin.

I don't think they will be cut in half. They had an independent lawyer look at the facts and she basically said the NFL was correct to suspend these guys and they were as involved as the coaches. All of the information hasn't be fully given over to the NFLPA because it names the player(s) that brought this case to the NFL and the ones who cooperated in the investigation. Yes the suspended players should be able to defend themselves against all the available information, but that information will disclose the "whitsleblowers" who will then be known and not protected (Sapp vs Shockey). In lieu of the concussion suits, suicides and now Seau - not gonna happen. The NFL has to protect itself and come down strong. The very sport we all love is at a huge crossroads.

I never had an issue with $100 for who gets the most sacks or INTs or TDs or whatever. That makes the game a little more fun and is often used in business as a motivational tool for employees. The whole going after ACLs is way overboard. Knocking players out of the game has been around aas long as the game itself (I cheered when we knocked Montana out of the AFC Championship game). Offering $10K to knock Favre out is crossing an ethical line.

Where is the NFLPA sticking up for the players who were targeted? As a union representing all players they are also responsible for those players as well. If the allegations against Vilma, Fujita, Hargrove and Smith are true - should the NFLPA toss them out of the union for intent to injure its other members?

Hoge brings up a good point about players complaining about Pads in practice and limiting the amount of OTAs to the NFLPA, but yet they are too scared to bring up the "bounties" to them for fear of being cut? Hoge was on the money and as a player who had serious issues with concussions; Hasselbeck is just a waste of skin.

Agree on all accounts. Hback was trying to steer his arguement away from the main questions regarding Vilma and to the process of the NFLPA and the league. The players signed the CBA stating Goodell was the judge and jury, end of story. You cannot argue any further. You know what you signed, deal with it for 9 more years. The players make the league go round and get paid handsomely to do so, Hoge mad a great point regarding how quick they are to complain about being in pads but wouldn't stick their necks out for their "fellow players" nean while the first guy to take a dirty shot and gets injured will point to the bounty scandle and sue the league eventually. That is why they had to come down so hard.

They had an independent lawyer look at the facts and she basically said the NFL was correct to suspend these guys and they were as involved as the coaches.

Yeah I have a lawyer that says it is okay to sue my neighbor because he is Jag. Please. The minute she was retained, she became biased. She came up with a justification for what the League wanted to do. It is what we, i.e. lawyers, do. I hope the NFLPA stomps them and Goodell gets canned. He is a pantywaist with a fetish for male college athletes in the 20-22 yo range. Hence all the hugging.

Mrs. Hasslebeck only has a job because of his wife

a lot of people do not like Hoge, but he has always been positive and never negative to the Bills and their fans...

to me, Hoge should be able to speak his mind with his injury history

Hogs is retarded, and makes absolutely absurd claims that even his ridiculous peers can't take seriously. He said chan should've cut Stevie on the spot for his penalties haha.... While he has a certain life experience with the topic he has beyond negative credibility in general.

Yeah I have a lawyer that says it is okay to sue my neighbor because he is Jag. Please. The minute she was retained, she became biased. She came up with a justification for what the League wanted to do. It is what we, i.e. lawyers, do. I hope the NFLPA stomps them and Goodell gets canned. He is a pantywaist with a fetish for male college athletes in the 20-22 yo range. Hence all the hugging.

You wear a tinfoil hat too don't you?

Agree on all accounts. Hback was trying to steer his arguement away from the main questions regarding Vilma and to the process of the NFLPA and the league. The players signed the CBA stating Goodell was the judge and jury, end of story. You cannot argue any further. You know what you signed, deal with it for 9 more years. The players make the league go round and get paid handsomely to do so, Hoge mad a great point regarding how quick they are to complain about being in pads but wouldn't stick their necks out for their "fellow players" nean while the first guy to take a dirty shot and gets injured will point to the bounty scandle and sue the league eventually. That is why they had to come down so hard.

The players did not sign away due process pertaining to work related claims. That is the foundation of the taft-hartley act that governs collective bargaining. You can't sign it away. The players, may be wrong, but it is up to the finder of fact to present a case and the opportunity for redress before passing judgement. The police investigate all the time, then they indict, then prosecutors try, and Judges and or juries adjudicate. In collective bargaining you can streamline process but not subvert. Goodell is a lawyer he knows this. His ego allows him to ignore it.

You wear a tinfoil hat too don't you?

no just a copper kettle.

Personally....I see both sides of this......

- Hoge is keeping the view on this narrow....now maybe he is doing this because he is afraid that to broad scope this thing like Hasselback will become so broad that NO action is taken

- Hasselback wants to spread it out.....and is ignoring the fact that to turn this into a big buaritic bs could cause for the message to entirelly get missed, but understands that there is more involved then just a couple of coaches and a couple of players.

For now Im taking Hoges side.....send a message by coming down hard and put a line in the sand.

Personally....I see both sides of this......

- Hoge is keeping the view on this narrow....now maybe he is doing this because he is afraid that to broad scope this thing like Hasselback will become so broad that NO action is taken

- Hasselback wants to spread it out.....and is ignoring the fact that to turn this into a big buaritic bs could cause for the message to entirelly get missed, but understands that there is more involved then just a couple of coaches and a couple of players.

For now Im taking Hoges side.....send a message by coming down hard and put a line in the sand.

hoge is notorious for picking a really strict and often controversial interpretation of an event. it doesnt matter what logic or reason is behind it - he wont be reasoned with.

as i cited earlier - the bills were crazy for letting stevie in the building the monday after the jets game. his stuff should have been packed and essentially waiting for him at the security checkpoint, with a pink slip.

he does this with a wide variety of topics, and i dont think ive seen one guy more often have all 4-5 other guys on set look at him like "you have got to be kidding." they all love to make absurd claims but normally theres some banter, and they kind of pair off... he ends up out on islands all the time.

hoge is notorious for picking a really strict and often controversial interpretation of an event. it doesnt matter what logic or reason is behind it - he wont be reasoned with.

as i cited earlier - the bills were crazy for letting stevie in the building the monday after the jets game. his stuff should have been packed and essentially waiting for him at the security checkpoint, with a pink slip.

he does this with a wide variety of topics, and i dont think ive seen one guy more often have all 4-5 other guys on set look at him like "you have got to be kidding." they all love to make absurd claims but normally theres some banter, and they kind of pair off... he ends up out on islands all the time.

Skip Bayless-esque for sure. Spout off just to spout off. Hoge has many valid points and he did get concussed many times. He just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Ill stay in the camp that both had good points cut the suspensions in half and lets move on. Thank god this didn't happen to Buff players this site might blow up.