Best team in years - Positional Battles Everywhere

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this team this year. This is the first time in a long time where we are going to have serious positional battles with quality players and good people are going to get cut. My breakdown is as follows:

QB (3): Fitz is a lock to start, Young (if he comes) and Thigpen battle for #2, Smith lock for #3

RB (3): Jackson (lock), Spiller(lock), White and Choice are battling for #3.

WR (5 or 6): This is where it gets interesting. Johnson (#1) and Nelson (#3) are locks. TJ Graham is also pretty safe and is competing for the #2 slot with Easley and Jones - both of whom have a good chance to start or if they lose could get cut. Given we carry Smith as QB#3, there is a good chance that we only carry 5 receivers meaning Ruvell Martin (who IMO can't catch) or Derek Hagan have legitimate chances to make the team over Jones or Easley for their special teams ability. The rest are on the outside looking in.

TE (2 or 3): Chandler most likely will start with Smith and Caussin battling for #2.

FB: McIntyre - pretty safe

OL(9): Wood, Pears, Urbik all locks at their respective position. Levitre may start at LT or LG pending how Glenn vs. Hairston pans out (all 3 are in). Given Glenn's ability at Guard and his potential at tackle, I wouldn't be surprised if they feel that Glenn-Levitre is better than Levitre-Glenn or Levitre-Hairston as an overall combination. Rinehart I think is also safe, leaving Asper, Sanders and Brown as the realistic competition for the last 2 slots.

DL(8 or 9): Williams (2x) and Dareus are locks. Although Anderson was a high-priced free agent, I wouldn't expect Kelsay to go down quietly. He may put up a big fight and win the other end position. Needless to say this is a great problem to have. The remaining 3/4 positions are loaded with talent - Merriman (if healthy), Carrington, Johnson, Edwards, Troup and Heard all have legitimate shots of making the team or getting cut. Danny Batten they are listing at DE, but I think will be rotated back to LB by the season. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur Moats is rotated back to DE (where he played in college) and him making the team over all those previously mentioned.

LB(6 or 7): This is by far our weakest positional group. Barnett is solid and Sheppard should be. Morrison is ok and although is penciled in as a starter may not make the team. Bradham and Carder have a good chance to make it solely due the lack of competition. Thoughts are they carry 6 - Barnett, Sheppard, Bradham, Carder, White and Batten.

CB(5): This is a fun positional battle. Ultimately Gilmore and Williams will be starting (maybe not this year). Florence and McGee both make the team (however don't be surprised if they move McGee to safety). McKelvin, Brooks and Rogers all battling out for last spot. Sorry people - McKelvin will make it.

S(4): Byrd and Wilson are locks. Searcy is pretty safe. If they carry Scott as a LB, look for them to move McGee to S. This would open the roster for Rogers (who in IMO should be on the team)

K/P: Don't be surprised if the Lindell/Moorman stranglehold is broken this year. We actually have real competition at these positions. The changing of the guard may be now.

LS: Sanborn is a lock

Sorry for the longwinded post. I have just been sooooo juiced and need to get my thoughts out there.

Just a few years ago (DJ's last year) I seriously wondered how they could find 22 guys just to line up with. And then there was adopting the no-huddle with that personnel . . .

This team isn't a SB favorite (yet), but at least they're playing competitive professional football with real legitimate players now.

So your saying out of the three. Mckelvin makes it over rogers and Brooks? Granted Brooks is unproven but with Rogers return ability I highly doubt they cut him, and IMO mckelvin vs Brooks is the real battle... I just don't think mckelvin stays over the other two unless they move Brooks to the ps. Itd make more sense to cut batten to keep the extra corner, after this year they are going to need the ones they just drafted anyways

Edited by hammet89

No 30+ yo cornerback is a lock. It may be time to move on from McGee and Florence and just put the kids in. McGee will not be a safety at 5'9". It wouldn't surprise me at all if McKelvin bounced back this year. Brooks is a lock.

No 30+ yo cornerback is a lock. It may be time to move on from McGee and Florence and just put the kids in. McGee will not be a safety at 5'9". It wouldn't surprise me at all if McKelvin bounced back this year. Brooks is a lock.

I've also got this weird feeling that McKelvin is going to have a VERY good year.

And look at that, just in time for a new contract. Strange timing, right?

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this team this year. This is the first time in a long time where we are going to have serious positional battles with quality players and good people are going to get cut. My breakdown is as follows:

QB (3): Fitz is a lock to start, Young (if he comes) and Thigpen battle for #2, Smith lock for #3

RB (3): Jackson (lock), Spiller(lock), White and Choice are battling for #3.

WR (5 or 6): This is where it gets interesting. Johnson (#1) and Nelson (#3) are locks. TJ Graham is also pretty safe and is competing for the #2 slot with Easley and Jones - both of whom have a good chance to start or if they lose could get cut. Given we carry Smith as QB#3, there is a good chance that we only carry 5 receivers meaning Ruvell Martin (who IMO can't catch) or Derek Hagan have legitimate chances to make the team over Jones or Easley for their special teams ability. The rest are on the outside looking in.

TE (2 or 3): Chandler most likely will start with Smith and Caussin battling for #2.

FB: McIntyre - pretty safe

OL(9): Wood, Pears, Urbik all locks at their respective position. Levitre may start at LT or LG pending how Glenn vs. Hairston pans out (all 3 are in). Given Glenn's ability at Guard and his potential at tackle, I wouldn't be surprised if they feel that Glenn-Levitre is better than Levitre-Glenn or Levitre-Hairston as an overall combination. Rinehart I think is also safe, leaving Asper, Sanders and Brown as the realistic competition for the last 2 slots.

DL(8 or 9): Williams (2x) and Dareus are locks. Although Anderson was a high-priced free agent, I wouldn't expect Kelsay to go down quietly. He may put up a big fight and win the other end position. Needless to say this is a great problem to have. The remaining 3/4 positions are loaded with talent - Merriman (if healthy), Carrington, Johnson, Edwards, Troup and Heard all have legitimate shots of making the team or getting cut. Danny Batten they are listing at DE, but I think will be rotated back to LB by the season. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur Moats is rotated back to DE (where he played in college) and him making the team over all those previously mentioned.

LB(6 or 7): This is by far our weakest positional group. Barnett is solid and Sheppard should be. Morrison is ok and although is penciled in as a starter may not make the team. Bradham and Carder have a good chance to make it solely due the lack of competition. Thoughts are they carry 6 - Barnett, Sheppard, Bradham, Carder, White and Batten.

CB(5): This is a fun positional battle. Ultimately Gilmore and Williams will be starting (maybe not this year). Florence and McGee both make the team (however don't be surprised if they move McGee to safety). McKelvin, Brooks and Rogers all battling out for last spot. Sorry people - McKelvin will make it.

S(4): Byrd and Wilson are locks. Searcy is pretty safe. If they carry Scott as a LB, look for them to move McGee to S. This would open the roster for Rogers (who in IMO should be on the team)

K/P: Don't be surprised if the Lindell/Moorman stranglehold is broken this year. We actually have real competition at these positions. The changing of the guard may be now.

LS: Sanborn is a lock

Sorry for the longwinded post. I have just been sooooo juiced and need to get my thoughts out there.

Love the time that you put into this. I'll drink the kool aid and sate my unprofessional and completely bias opinions:

QB: Fitzy is the obvious starter here. I think this is a system that Young can have some success in, assuming his head is back in the game (50/50). I think Thigpen and one of the 2 projects they brought in as UDFA's has an equal shot for competing for the #3 spot. As for Smith, I see him as being relegated to WR, esp. if Young makes the team as he'll be a better Wildcat option.

RB: Obviously Fred & CJ. I'm not sure they're sold on White, even though he was their own pick. If so, I think he would have had gotten more of the snaps over Choice (unless he was injured, which I don't recall). So I see Fred & CJ with Choice as the #3. Deservedly so as I think he got a raw deal in Dallas and Washington.

WR: SJ13 is the man. From the praise heaped on Easley during camp & preseason last year, it looks like he and Graham will battle it out for #2 & 3. I know Buddy said Graham can play on the outside, but from what I see in his game, he's a prototypical slot receiver...good routes & separation and good hands as well as YAC capability and speed. That leaves Nelson looking in from the #4 spot. the rest is wide open with all the other guys (Jones, Haggan, Martin, *Aiken, Tounkara-Kone, etc. *= personal fav.)

OL: I really think this has been turned into a position of strength and great depth. I could see some movement and Levitre, Urbik, Pears & Brown as backups come mid season. I think Hairston can play LT and may prove to be better than most think. Sanders is MUCH better than where he was picked and could land as the starting RT. I also think that Asper was a STEAL in Rd. 6 and I'd like to see how the line works out with him @ C and Wood @ G. I see potential of the line looking like this (L to R): Hairston, Wood, Asper, Glenn, Sanders. I know Pears and Urbik played pretty well last year, but I still think they are quality depth rather than starters. Also, Wood at RG may push him to an Elite level.

FB & TE are as you said...

The D is where it gets exciting...

DT: Williams and Dareus are the starters. Spencer Johnson returns to the form he was at in Minn when he was rotating in with the Williams'. I love the way Heard played last year, so that rounds out my top 4 DT's.

DE: Mario never leaves the field...he's just too damn good at stopping the run and getting to the passer. Kelsay goes back to his natural position and may end up proving he belongs as a starter again. Although they think Anderson is more than a passing down end, I expect he stays in that situational duty...and succeeds. I'd like to see Carrington succeed, whether it's inside or on the end....really depends on what he'll play at, 285 or 305. Now, if Merrimen is truly healthy and can prove he can be effective with his hand on the ground, that shakes things up a bit. So the top 4 DE's could end up like this: Williams, Kelsay, Anderson & Merrimen. I like Carrington to make it as a 9th on the DL, as I think he can play both DT and DE. This puts Troupe and Edwards on the chopping block.

LB: Again, a ? last year has seemed to turn into another strength with the additions of Bradham and Carder, Both of whom could be potentially starting by years end. As of now it's Barnett, Shepp and Morrison. I don't believe Morrison will be the starter by the time the season rolls around. I'm infatuated with Shepp....he got burned a couple times in coverage last year, but a short camp and a late start will do that to a rookie LB. He's got tremendous upside and I love how he's a true plugger. The good I saw from him last year was a great start. He gets to the ball within 3 yrds of the LOS, unlike Poz making tackles 5-10 and even sometimes 15 yrds downfield. I also think Carder has that type of mentality (plugger). Bradham is a tremendous athlete and a hard hitter. I think he's our starting WILL. So, looks to me that we'll see Barnett, Shepp and Bradham as our starting LB's with Carder, Morrison, White and Scott as depth, even Merrimen in situational roles.

CB: We got younger, faster and bigger...gotta love that. Gillmore is a day 1 starter opposite Williams. I also don't think they're ready to give up on McKelvin. McGee's time in Buffalo may come to an end, especially if he gets hurt again. Florence isn't as bad as last years play dictated, not is any of our CB's given the utter lack of a pass rush. They ALL improve this year. Don't sell Brooks short. If he's on any other team in College, he's a starter and probably a 1st/2nd round talent. Not his fault LSU turns out CB's like Penn State turns out LB's. I like him and Rogers as our Nickel and Dime corners, repsectively.

SS/FS: Wilson and Byrd are in...I think Byrd has a MONSTER year. Searcy & Scott are quality depth. We also brought a couple in after the draft that may shake things up...who knows.

Special teams: Rogers looked great returning kicks and Graham is a home run threat. We also have McKelvin if they don't want to risk Graham too much. If McKelvin makes the 53 man roster I expect to see him do anything and everything he can to build up his resume in a contract year...He may even do enough for us to consider extending him.

All in all, you hit the nail on the head!! Great competition and positional battles leads to the best players being on the field and quality depth. In years past, I just got excited for football and forced myself to believe in the potential of my Bills...this year, I can honestly say I am excited for Bills football again and I don't have to try so hard to see potential.

GO BILLS!!!

Just a few years ago (DJ's last year) I seriously wondered how they could find 22 guys just to line up with. And then there was adopting the no-huddle with that personnel . . .

Yet DJ, without much talent on the field, produced 7-9 seasons. Maybe he wasn't that bad a head coach after all. Just saying.

I'm curious to see McKillop and think he could compete with White for the final LB spot. Morrison is going into camp as their starter, I don't think there's any way they cut him.

I also don't think there's any way they invested a 4th round pick on Brooks to cut him before the season starts. I agree McKelvin makes it but think McGee, coming off ACL surgery, is the odd man out.

Edited by Carey Bender

DE and DT are tough.

DE

Mark Anderson

Danny Batten

Lionel Dotson

Robert Eddins

Spencer Johnson

Chris Kelsay

Shawne Merriman

Kyle Moore

Mario Williams

At DE, I assume Mario and Mark are locks. I would be surprised to see Merriman cut since he's already gotten a bonus this year. Kyle Moore showed promise in his limited action last year. Kelsay is moving back to his natural position, and had some good games towards the end of last year. The FO seems high on Spencer Johnson, and he's versatile enough to play DE and DT (originally signed as a DT). I am not optimistic for Batten, Dotson, or Eddins. Haven't really been impressed by those three.

DT

Alex Carrington

Marcell Dareus

Dwan Edwards

Jaron Gilbert

Kellen Heard

Jay Ross

Torell Troup

Kyle Williams

At DT, Kyle and Marcell are locks. I think Dwan is underrated and would be a very good rotational DT. It's hard to believe the Bills are willing to give up on either Troup or Carrington already. I though Heard made some good plays last year and made a lot of progress from where he was at this point last year. I think Ross and Gilbert will have the most difficult time making it to the roster.

HORRAY FOR HARD DECISIONS!

It's turning out that Smith isn't a good QB or a very good WR, why is he a "lock"?

It's a fair question. I'll offer that last season was a wash, and they want to see what can be done with Smith now that the new QB coach (the godfather of the wildcat) is on the staff.

It's turning out that Smith isn't a good QB or a very good WR, why is he a "lock"?

If we sign VY, then I don't think Smith is a lock. VY can fill the Wild cat role and we have others who are as good or better in the return game. But I think Smith's versatility is a strength and allows the team to manipulate roster numbers a bit (keeping fewer receivers and special teams specific players). It willbe interesting to see how this shakes out. But if we keep Thigpen, then I think Smith stays for sure.

I agree that this is the most talent we have had in over a decade.

Ron Brooks is a lock to make the team. IMO, there is zero chance he doesn't barring injury. The battle is between McKelvin and Rogers, unless there is a surprise cut of McGee if his legs just don't hold up and his speed is gone, or as you say they move him to safety.

Morrison, too, is nearly a lock to make it and 95% chance he will start, at least to start the season.

No way they play Levitre at LT.

There is a decent chance they keep the extra kicker from what Nix has said. If that is the case, ST guys like Ruvel Martin are not as important, especially because Bradham and Brooks were absolute stud ST players in college and likely will be very good in the NFL. Carder should be decent, too.

If they decide to keep Corp on the roster as a #3 QB instead of the PS, which is possible, that also eliminates a roster spot.

If Asper makes the team instead of the PS, that helps a lot with a roster spot because he is being groomed to be both a back-up C and a back-up OG. Otherwise, we will need to keep Brown as a back-up C and two back-up OGs, one of which will be Rinehart (unless he unseats Urbik as the starter and then Urbik will be the starter).

To the OP:

you know your Bills and I agree with your premise that the positions are pretty much loaded, except for QB. Hopefully they bring in Young or someone of equal potential. Right now, that backup QB position is empty and that is our Achilles heel.

Anyway, good job.

A couple of thoughts on my logic:

1. McKelvin is in a contract year - he is going to play out of his mind. He knows that he is going to take a steep cut in pay if he doesn't blow the doors off of everyone this year. Chix knows this as well.

2. Brooks may be a steal for a 4th rounder, but they can easily park him on the practice squad

3. As much as I can't stand Ruvell Martin - he is one of the best gunners we have - giving him value. I hope that some of our other players will fill this role as I would much rather have Jones, Hagan, Aiken or even Roosevelt over Martin.

4. Moving McGee to Safety would make a lot of sense. Countless times veteran corners have been moved over and it usually pans out. His veteran leadership would be very valuable as our depth as safety is questionable (Searcy is unproven and Scott is more of a nickel LB).

5. Backup QB is a HUGE hole right now. Vince Young is a talent, but is he smart enough to run Gailey's offense?

6. Mark my word - Brad Smith will be an invaluable asset this year. He was vastly underutilized, especially down the stretch. He is a situational player who will be used more in situations in which we have a lead and the playcalling can be more unpredictable. We were destroyed at WR and were behind most of the latter half of the season when he disappeared at QB. Thing will change this year.