RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

McLuv'n would never have been a Buddy pick based on the conference he played in and level of competition he faced.

In Buddy's mind, production against top-flight SEC teams is the crucible that makes a potential NFL starter, not dazzling measurables or the dreaded "potential" label. Pretty smart approach...

I don't think he would have picked McKlovin' because he wasn't a great CB in college. Great PR man? Yes. Great shut down star CB, no.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the 2012 NFL Draft nearly here, Mike Mayock has unveiled his top 100 prospect rankings.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

3. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

4. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

5. Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California

6. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

7. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

8. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

9. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

10. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

With Greg Cosell calling Gilmore the best cb in the draft and Mike Mayock listing him as the 8th best overall prospect, I don't know why some are upset about this pick. I could understand why people were hoping for Baron or Kuechly, but they were gone.

Ction Listened to him on WGR this morning, and he seemed really quiet and reserved. I think this accounts for what looked like a lack of reaction.

As for his play, i think he's a lock to be our nickel corner. He apparently is great in zone coverage. I think he's going to take some time before he is a starting 1 or 2 CB but since we were in the nickel half of the time last season I think we are going to see a lot of him.

bahahaa

i love it

if not only for the reason of the group of idiots on this board who preach 'THE BILLS DRAFT WAY TOO MANY DBS IN THE FIRST ROUND/YOU NEVER DRAFT A DB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!11111omgzzz'

this amuses me to no end.

He'd better be the second coming of Darelle Revis to justify being picked 10th overall. I hate taking little guys early.

Little guy??? 6'1", 190 is good size for a CB. Gilmore has a rep a punishing tackler.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Little guy??? 6'1", 190 is good size for a CB. Gilmore has a rep a punishing tackler.

PTR

I think he's talking about taking guys who aren't 300lbs which I guess the Bills should have done even though they didn't think that highly (and neither did anybody else in the next 12 spots) about the OT guys available at 10.

Adding a day 1 starter to our secondary is a great thing. Nix is thinking a head of all us. One year from now our secondary will be depleted. McGee is old, McKelvins contract is done, Florence is basically just a depth guy. I'm glad we didn't go for Floyd at 10 (I HATE picking ND players that high). Wannstedt has a lot of toys to play with now. We have the capability to produce a punishing defense. With Dave at the helm he will induce that mentality.

I wouldn't mind a WR, LB or OL at #2. The rest of the draft we have the opportunity to fill lots of depth which we lacked last year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

With the 2012 NFL Draft nearly here, Mike Mayock has unveiled his top 100 prospect rankings.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

3. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

4. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

5. Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California

6. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

7. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

8. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

9. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

10. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

With Greg Cosell calling Gilmore the best cb in the draft and Mike Mayock listing him as the 8th best overall prospect, I don't know why some are upset about this pick. I could understand why people were hoping for Baron or Kuechly, but they were gone.

Now you'd need to add Colin Cowher to the list of media guys that like our draft so far, and for me this is worth posting specially when it is coming froma guy that sounds so anti-everything-Buffalo, that I know he annoys a lot of us in this board...

Anyone and everyone criticizing the pick needs to also include exactly who they wouldve picked instead. Please enlighten us and list your lower talent players so we can laugh at your desperate reach...

I liked Floyd, but obviously Nix and Whaley did not. Or at least didnt like him as much. And sorry to break it to some of you, but they know WAY MORE than anyone here. No matter how many magazines you've read, or times you thought you were smarter than past regimes.

Now you'd need to add Colin Cowher to the list of media guys that like our draft so far, and for me this is worth posting specially when it is coming froma guy that sounds so anti-everything-Buffalo, that I know he annoys a lot of us in this board...

This....defies belief.

Figures. The one time he says something positive about the Bills...he is preempted by WGR extended draft coverage. :lol: Can't win for losing.

I don't know why some are upset about this pick.

I think it's just a lot of butthurt Notre Dame fans in the area upset we passed on Floyd. Seriously, there's probably around 20 active Notre Dame players in the NFL right now, and the only one worth a lick is Justin Tuck.

There's also some weird notion that because we whiffed on McKelvin, we can no longer take a CB in the first round. If we went by that logic, we would never draft anyone in the first round again.

I think it's just a lot of butthurt Notre Dame fans in the area upset we passed on Floyd. Seriously, there's probably around 20 active Notre Dame players in the NFL right now, and the only one worth a lick is Justin Tuck.

There's also some weird notion that because we whiffed on McKelvin, we can no longer take a CB in the first round. If we went by that logic, we would never draft anyone in the first round again.

No doubt.

Donahoe crapped the bed on Mike Williams, JP Losman, and John McCargo 5-10 years ago. Therefore, we should never take a OT, QB, or DL in the 1st again.

And the only reason we missed the playoffs for all these years is because he took Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield in the 1st.

Sound logic all the way around. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Ction Listened to him on WGR this morning, and he seemed really quiet and reserved. I think this accounts for what looked like a lack of reaction.

As for his play, i think he's a lock to be our nickel corner. He apparently is great in zone coverage. I think he's going to take some time before he is a starting 1 or 2 CB but since we were in the nickel half of the time last season I think we are going to see a lot of him.

Agreed. His coach came out and said he's a very reserved and mature player for his age. Plus, 3 straight years starting in the SEC with no injuries sounds good to me.

I don't follow your reasoning. The Bills defense was bad last year (and I would say noticeably bad in the secondary, along with the pass rush, which was addressed in FA) so you don't see how a talented player at a key position will help? And... the Bills should've taken Kuechly, who was taken before the Bills picked?

Kuechly would have been worth trading-up to grab. He's a leader, a motivator, and a self-starter. Kuechly would have also helped out alot against the run. But fine, he was out of play.

-What about Floyd? what's wrong with having a big, physical reciever to get you tough yards? Can a CB put up points on a regular basis? I think not. 7 out of our 9 picks last draft were defensive, Yet our D still sucked Ly.

You need to score points to win games, people. I like the Gilmore kid, but morale on our offense requires the same boost our defense got in the off-season. -IMO buddy has to very aggressive with his next picks.

I do wonder if Gilmore might be crazy introverted. People have been going crazy that he didn't smile when picked, but after listening to an interview with him this morning I'm not so sure.

He spoke really softly and seemed at a loss for words when asked about his reaction to the Bills but eased up when talking about the SEC. I thought he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but that's belied by graduating high school early and being on the honor roll. With what one of the Gamecock fans said on here about a small cracked smile being as emotive as he's ever seen, it made me think "Hey, that's exactly what *I* do"

If that's the case it's no big deal. Just an observation.