RD 4, Pick #105: LB Nigel Bradham - FSU

SDS

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I liked about that is he seemed like he kept his head in the face of a bad call. Didn't make bad worse for his team by flying into a rage, tossing his helmet, etc.

No, he was totally composed. Also after the hit, he didn't gloat or taunt.

youtube.com/watch?v=1qb5sQ8FIO0

"The Hit" is at around 11:00

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he challenged for the starting job. Merriman is going to the DE spot, and we have Barnett in the middle, after that it's only Sheppard, Moats and Morrison. We were thin, and I love that replay of the hit, especially after it shows that he nailed the guy fair and square.

Still think that Nix takes BPA? We had four clear needs and picked one player at each of them. I still contend there is really no such thing as BPA.

The guy looks like a killer. No fourth rounder would be expected to start. We need a back-up on the outside and the guy seems to have a lot of talent. I still like this draft a lot.

i think people have taken a contextual term... "best player available"... and turned it into an end-all be-all, blanket statement.

i've always looked at it as more of a "best-ratio" available.

lets use the bills as an example, and assign 2 current players a "pre-draft" rating, if you will.

let's give fred jackson a 9 out of 10

and mckelvin a 7 out of 10

now, if we were picking 3rd in THIS draft, and our board showed

stephon gilmore as a 9 out of 10

and trent richardson a 10 out of 10

then picking corner would net us a +2, while picking running back (or the "best player available" on our board,) would net us a +1.

i would imagine it's a little more complex in our war room, but spending most of my day in microsoft excel computing calculations, i can tell you that a simple spread sheet could be set up to do far... FAR... more complex calculations than the example i just listed (obviously.)

im sure nix and whaley, and their scouting department, have a certain drop-off thresh-hold that they look at, compared to their board... or what we might call "an area of need."

they might have donald jones, or even easley graded out at a 85%-88% percentile, and floyd may have been 90%, and they couldnt justify the pick.

sounds convoluted i know, but this is our hobby, their job:

tldr - they know what theyre doing and have the resources to do it full-time, all day, far FAR better than any of us.

a most excellent pick. If my name was Nigel Bradham i would look to knock the stuffing out of folks often too.

The wr involved probably harassed him about his name. and he responded. we are getting some nastiness here. Just wait till hernandez calls him out. "Hey NIIIIIGEEEEL"

then boom. hee he

go bills

Bills got the LB they wanted in the fourth rd you got to think.

I mean, they went back after last night and re-evaluated their board and who was left. Since no LB were drafted yet, they got the best on their board.

Guy sounds very good physically. Best in the forty and vertical for his position at the combine.

Weakness is he needs to learn to read between run and pass better. Wanny will love working with this kid.

Don't need a pass rushing LB in 4-3...

Obviously i love the pick. As another long time die hard 'Noles fan, what Buffalotone said earlier in the thread was dead on. Nigel is a terror the way he runs all over the field looking to knock people out. He played special teams his first season or so at FSU, and covered kicks like a runaway mack truck. Some of the hits i've seen him make are devastating.

My only knock from watching his entire career is also that he can make some knuckleheaded plays at times. He's gotten a few flags for taking the extra step to bury someone instead of pulling up. He seems to have trouble turning off the killer instinct. Those hits are great to watch, but they can hurt when you take a 15 yard penalty on the play where your D made the 3rd down stop.

Expect his career to be cut tragically short after an altercation with airplanes while scaling the Empire State Building.

My goodness, that man is quite fit. His name makes him sound like a Downton Abbey character who's 4th in line to be Earl of Leicestershire. His photos tell a different story. This looks like a great pick. THIS is where you draft your coverage/pursuit linebackers.

Still think that Nix takes BPA? We had four clear needs and picked one player at each of them. I still contend there is really no such thing as BPA.

The guy looks like a killer. No fourth rounder would be expected to start. We need a back-up on the outside and the guy seems to have a lot of talent. I still like this draft a lot.

They do pick BPA but it's not as black and white as people seem to think around here. Buddy explained it himsefl during a presser. They rank every player and sort them by grades, if a extremely high grade falls to them they'll take him, else they take the BPA between the positions of need. So in this case for our 1st rounder they had LT, LB, WR, CB as their need; they chose the BPA according to their board between the 3 positions. Offcourse they also take into account the likely hood of and quality of filling their other needs in other rounds and take that into consideration.

They do pick BPA but it's not as black and white as people seem to think around here. Buddy explained it himsefl during a presser. They rank every player and sort them by grades, if a extremely high grade falls to them they'll take him, else they take the BPA between the positions of need. So in this case for our 1st rounder they had LT, LB, WR, CB as their need; they chose the BPA according to their board between the 3 positions. Offcourse they also take into account the likely hood of and quality of filling their other needs in other rounds and take that into consideration.

That's the point. There are only two categories -- BPA and BPA at a position of need. What you described is not BPA at all, it's BPA at position of need. Teams rarely take BPA.

That's the point. There are only two categories -- BPA and BPA at a position of need. What you described is not BPA at all, it's BPA at position of need. Teams rarely take BPA.

Exactly, and "BPA at a position of need" should simply be called a need pick. Would anyone take the 2nd best player at a position of need? Of course not! This BPA nonsense all started with Spiller, when fans failed to realize that Marshawn was out the door allllll along, and the plan was for a Jackson/Spiller backfield. It just took a lot longer than expected to get him out the door.

Exactly, and "BPA at a position of need" should simply be called a need pick. Would anyone take the 2nd best player at a position of need? Of course not! This BPA nonsense all started with Spiller, when fans failed to realize that Marshawn was out the door allllll along, and the plan was for a Jackson/Spiller backfield. It just took a lot longer than expected to get him out the door.

And people think they draft BPA? They asked Nix if he filled positions of need and he said flat out we went in there wanting to get two tackles, two corners, two linebackers and a WR and we got them. How lucky!!

On whether the team addressed key needs:

Yeah you know, I’ve said this 100 times, this happens to me more than it doesn’t for some reason, you have to be lucky for things to fall to you that you want. You can’t take those guys just because you got a need in that area. But we were able to fill every one that we set out to fill. We wanted two corners, two tackles, we wanted a wide receiver, we wanted two linebackers, and we were able to get those guys. Our team got bigger and we got faster. I just hope it was in the right spots, and I think it was.