Tavon Wilson should explain TJ Graham

I do positively know atleast one other team where interested in him, and was on thier list of players to take around the 5th round if he was still there. Who really knows what every teams board looks like, may have been another them that had him higher as well and thats why Bills moved up to make sure they got him.

I think it's pretty clear that the Bills thought the Jaguars wanted him.

I imagine if you're scouting a small-school guy and you keep tripping over scouts from other pro teams who are watching every pass play with binoculars, it's hard to keep the "cat in the bag" heh heh and it's probably even possible to gauge the level of enthusiasm.

The fact that the Jags used their draft pick on a punter after we jumped them for Graham speaks volumes, IMO. A punter? In the 3rd? He better be a d*** fine punter.

I think Nix de-bagged the Jags.

PS what is that other team that you positively know to be interested in Graham, and how do you know?

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For those lamenting that TJ was taken too soon, you should look no further than NE's pick in the 2nd round. He was off many board completely, but there were the Pats taking him where they did.

It's easy to say so-and-so will be there later in the draft, but unless you have secret video into every war room in the league, you can never be sure what another team is really thinking.

One think I'd love to see is a Wikipedia page that goes over Kiper's (or any other "expert's") mocks over the last 10-20 years and see how right, or wrong they really were. So many people glace at someone else's research and somehow that makes you an expert.

If you don't trust the Bills brass, just say so and stop citing details that you really don't understand anyway. Taller does not mean better (ask Welker, or Steve Smith). Faster does not necessarily mean better (ask Jerry Rice). You've not met the kid. You've not watched him in practice, so stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

:thumbsup: +1 :thumbsup:

I get TJ is not 6'2 220lbs, but he is 5'11 188. Thats not tiny by any means. He has 3 inches and 10 lbs on Welker, for comparison. TJ is also bigger then DeSean Jackson, but with similar skill set.

Now i am not trying to say TJ will be as good as either those two excellent players, but i am saying that telling me TJ is tiny and can not succeed is a false statement.

I imagine if you're scouting a small-school guy and you keep tripping over scouts from other pro teams who are watching every pass play with binoculars, it's hard to keep the "cat in the bag" heh heh and it's probably even possible to gauge the level of enthusiasm.

The fact that the Jags used their draft pick on a punter after we jumped them for Graham speaks volumes, IMO. A punter? In the 3rd? He better be a d*** fine punter.

PS what is that other team that you positively know to be interested in Graham, and how do you know?

Oh C'mon! We gave up the 217th pick for this guy?! Fire Nix now!! We could've drafted another Jasper-type player.

I totally give up on this team. I'm done. :beer:

This is more true than you know. Especially among teams in the same scouting cooperative. It's a small community.

GO BILLS!!!

For those lamenting that TJ was taken too soon, you should look no further than NE's pick in the 2nd round. He was off many board completely, but there were the Pats taking him where they did.

It's easy to say so-and-so will be there later in the draft, but unless you have secret video into every war room in the league, you can never be sure what another team is really thinking.

One think I'd love to see is a Wikipedia page that goes over Kiper's (or any other "expert's") mocks over the last 10-20 years and see how right, or wrong they really were. So many people glace at someone else's research and somehow that makes you an expert.

If you don't trust the Bills brass, just say so and stop citing details that you really don't understand anyway. Taller does not mean better (ask Welker, or Steve Smith). Faster does not necessarily mean better (ask Jerry Rice). You've not met the kid. You've not watched him in practice, so stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

I don't trust the Bills brass. And Fitzmoney can't hit we deep. He doesn't have the arm strength. He throws flying ducks in the air.

I'm reserving judgment. He could very well be a phenom.

From the videos I've seen of him, however, it doesn't appear he will be a regular down player. He's a burner, but doesn't seem to have the skills to draw in the inaccurate deep balls Fitzy will likely throw. He also doesn't appear to have the frame to withstand regular shorter inside routes. I could be wrong, which I hope I am.

Buddy said he wanted a big, physical AND fast receiver. He got just one of those traits in Graham, and it appears this guy would have been there later.

I'm not pretending to know more than the brass--I clearly don't--but this pick is nonetheless a puzzler. Let's hope it turns into a pleasant puzzle.

Bill's fans have every right to be upset with this pick or any other pick for that matter. If we've learned one thing over the past decade, it is that wisdom of OBD is no greater than the collective wisdom of TBD. (note that I said COLLECTIVE wisdom). I really don't understand the "in Nix I trust" stuff that seems so popular around here. What has he done to make you blindly trust his player judgment? His first draft in 2010 was an unmitigated disaster and has not yielded a single starter on a 6-10 football team. The jury is still out on 2011. It looks pretty good, but couldn't anyone on this board have picked Darius third? For that matter isn't the same true of the first two picks this year? We seem to be elated when the FO makes a seemingly competent pick.

The Bills thought Jax was going to take him. So they gave up a 7th rounder and picked him. Gailey seemed to have really wanted him so it will be interesting to see how Gailey uses him in the mix.

I am also hoping that Easley plays into the mix. The Bills could could get bigger and faster at WR with the combination of these two.

Also keep in mind the Bills played a lot of three and four receiver sets. Graham may be little more than a field stretcher in these situations.

A reach in the third round is fine. A reach in the first (Maybin, Whitner, etc.) is not. That said, I've seen Graham play on several occasions (I'm an ACC guy - have season tickets at Virginia Tech) and IMHO, he simply used his speed to run away from people. The plays that I recall were quick screens where he made one guy miss and was off to the races. I can't remember him catching much of anything in traffic, but some of that might have to do with NC State's offense. At worst, he should be a really good kick returner (ACC's all-time leader).

The speed receiver who I really like is T.Y. Hilton from Florida International. We passed on him and the Colts grabbed him later in the third. I saw him play live at Vanderbilt and he absolutely dominated.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah speed kills but it doesnt matter if he can't get open on routes or catch the ball. I still think we should target mcnutt this round, why stop at one little guy? we could get both an be set at WR :)

:thumbsup:

I would definetly be happy if they target Mcnutt big, tall, and has speed. But overall Draft looks good so far

A reach in the third round is fine. A reach in the first (Maybin, Whitner, etc.) is not. That said, I've seen Graham play on several occasions (I'm an ACC guy - have season tickets at Virginia Tech) and IMHO, he simply used his speed to run away from people. The plays that I recall were quick screens where he made one guy miss and was off to the races. I can't remember him catching much of anything in traffic, but some of that might have to do with NC State's offense. At worst, he should be a really good kick returner (ACC's all-time leader).

The speed receiver who I really like is T.Y. Hilton from Florida International. We passed on him and the Colts grabbed him later in the third. I saw him play live at Vanderbilt and he absolutely dominated.

TY Hilton is truly a Parrish clone.

On the other hand, Wilson is talked up as a very versatile player while Graham is said to be a deep threat only. Not sure the Bills really need to try to compete in the "Who the ?!?" category of the draft. Being the new Al Davis might not be all that.

Yeah, so versatile that his pre-draft grade projected him to be an UDFA. I've seen people talk about Graham as a potential 3rd rounder. Where did anyone project Wilson to go on the 2nd day?

1. As a track coach, I beg to differ, and Don Beebe has speed camps as well.

2. Glenn was our #2

3. I hope so

4. I hope so

FYP :-P

I have a friend who was a college football RB and attended Beebe's speed camp. One of the first things they said was that they can't teach speed, they can only help you to maximize what you have.

Yeah, so versatile that his pre-draft grade projected him to be an UDFA. I've seen people talk about Graham as a potential 3rd rounder. Where did anyone project Wilson to go on the 2nd day?

Perhaps you should go and punch some of the scouts that wrote up the profiles in the face if you don't like what they wrote.

Perhaps you should go and punch some of the scouts that wrote up the profiles in the face if you don't like what they wrote.

I don't care what anyone writes, projects, reviews immediately after the pick, etc. What matters is how they perform on the field.

Make the playoffs and then maybe we can trust

That's a fair point.

But has Kiper or McShay ever built a playoff team? Or any fan here on TBD?

If Kiper et al were actually any good, some team would offer them jobs.

I trust Nix more than I trust the draftniks - or my fellow Bills fans. The trust is not absolute, though, and I hope I'm right. We'll see.