Man Hugs

So I never watched any of these draftees play a single down (save for Luck) so I guess I wasn’t caught up in the "who went where" drama, but I couldn’t helped being a little freaked out by how long the Commissioner and the picks held each others. It just look weird!

If I'm the only one here I'll shut up but what has happened with the good ol' hand shake? I know it's been a couple of years since I've been to the US but this can't be common in any professional environment south of the border! Right?

The Commissioner was welcoming these guys as if they were siblings you thought were dead or jailed in Vietnam for 20 years.

Marc in Montréal

That's how Goodell has always done it. It is an emotional time for these draft picks, and a HUGE deal in their lives. They are entering a fraternity that can never be taken away from them. They will always be able to say they were part of the NFL, no matter how it plays out in their career. A lot of the hugging falls on the players who are so happy and excited to be there. How can you blame them.

Goodell is also going out of his way to show that he really loves his players, for when he has to fine/suspend them later on. :thumbsup:

IIRC, it was started by a player during Goodell's first draft. I forget who the player was but he was so overjoyed he just spontaneously bear hugged the commish. It's kinda become a tradition for the players since then.

GO BILLS!!!

So I never watched any of these draftees play a single down (save for Luck) so I guess I wasn’t caught up in the "who went where" drama, but I couldn’t helped being a little freaked out by how long the Commissioner and the picks held each others. It just look weird!

If I'm the only one here I'll shut up but what has happened with the good ol' hand shake? I know it's been a couple of years since I've been to the US but this can't be common in any professional environment south of the border! Right?

The Commissioner was welcoming these guys as if they were siblings you thought were dead or jailed in Vietnam for 20 years.

Marc in Montréal

You would think that living in a French area, you would see greeting like this all the time, lol

Its possible he was just giving them a pat down. They are now part of the NFL and therefore they can now be fined by Goodell for weapons or drugs........

You would think that living in a French area, you would see greeting like this all the time, lol

Its possible he was just giving them a pat down. They are now part of the NFL and therefore they can now be fined by Goodell for weapons or drugs........

Haha. I think we need to see the traditional 3 cheek kiss greeting like over in Europe.

GO BILLS!!!

Not your imagination, many noticed it too. Not sure what ol' Roger was trying to convey but it seemed totally staged to me. I thought it was so wierd I had to put the strangest one as my new avatar.

Please tell me that really didn't happen last night, what's on your avatar....r u serious???

I thought the hugs were a bit much myself....

That's how Goodell has always done it. It is an emotional time for these draft picks, and a HUGE deal in their lives. They are entering a fraternity that can never be taken away from them. They will always be able to say they were part of the NFL, no matter how it plays out in their career. A lot of the hugging falls on the players who are so happy and excited to be there. How can you blame them.

Goodell is also going out of his way to show that he really loves his players, for when he has to fine/suspend them later on. :thumbsup:

I forgot what player it was, but his handshake/ slap up was awesome. RG1 might be a big of a tryant, but he has the best interests of the game at heart.

Freaky. The quadruple hand slaps, or whatever you call them, were bad enough. The hugging thing is just plain weird. Goodell and most of these guys probably never met and they're hugging each other like they're lifelong bros.

That avatar gives me the heebie-jeebies. :pirate:

I haven't read all of these posts yet, just sampled a few, but I can't think of anybody not

thinking that this is strange, especially seeing it for themselves live, it is the first thing that came to my mind,

"man is that wierd or what". It is definitley staged and can't be sincere. The other thing that I noticed about Roger, is that he looks extremly uncomfortable in the spotlight, and when he gets to the podium, it looks like he might start stuttering or something, not to diss anybody who does, but he just does not come across to me as a confident individual,

and sure of himself.

I haven't read all of these posts yet, just sampled a few, but I can't think of anybody not

thinking that this is strange, especially seeing it for themselves live, it is the first thing that came to my mind,

"man is that wierd or what". It is definitley staged and can't be sincere. The other thing that I noticed about Roger, is that he looks extremly uncomfortable in the spotlight, and when he gets to the podium, it looks like he might start stuttering or something, not to diss anybody who does, but he just does not come across to me as a confident individual,

and sure of himself.

It sounds like you could use a hug.