(OT)Anyone watch the MTV Video Music Awards?

The Poojer

Yeah, I watched half of it....then I turned it off because it was horrible.

The guy from Hoobastank couldn't even sing the high notes...I've seen better band at the Penny Arcade.

And when did it become that you lumped all the metal groups together but that retarded fool "lil'Jon" is on every single set???

It's not the "Video Music Awards" it's the "Video R&B & Rap Awards".....

far too much hip hop rap, and it seems that usher or lil john or ludakris ARE on every single song out...it gets old after a while, but christina can sing, alicia keys/stevie wonder/lenny kravitz was pretty decent also.

The guy from Hoobastank couldn't even sing the high notes...I've seen better band at the Penny Arcade.

And when did it become that you lumped all the metal groups together but that retarded fool "lil'Jon" is on every single set???

13301[/snapback]

I caught it about half way through... I got so sick of...

"MIIIAAMMMIII What up MIIAAMMIIII!!!! In the house!!"

All of the "your city rocks" crap. Was painfully obvious it was geared toward teenagers.

All of the "your city rocks" crap. Was painfully obvious it was geared toward teenagers.

-----------------------------------------------

That's what I'm saying....even all the white guys on their seemed to be speaking in ebonics.........

I've got nothing against different cultures but this is going a little to far for me....I must be getting old.

who was that doing a duet with christina aguilara?  what song was that?  they sounded awesome!  she may be a skank, but shes got a set of pipes on her

13271[/snapback]

That was Nelly, I think.

I'm sick of all that crap too. The only reason to watch those awards is to make fun of the stupidity and vanity of the majority of the celebrities.

Go Bills

-----------------------------------------------

That's what I'm saying....even all the white guys on their seemed to be speaking in ebonics.........

I've got nothing against different cultures but this is going a little to far for me....I must be getting old.

13341[/snapback]

Dude, it's not even a culture thing - I'm black and I can't stand that stuff - I KNOW it is because I am too old and glad about it.........

I grew up listening to rap and hip-hop when it was fun an enjoyable to listen.

NOW I can't lsten to it at all except for probably LL COOL J, EMINEM, JAY-Z and the Black -Eyed Peas. Now all I listen to is K-Rock...........

My biddues that I grew up with can't believe hoiw much of a change I made. I changed the way I dress and to what i like listening to.

Hip-Hop and rap died when the old school rap died away

Remember SLICK RICK, RUN DMC, SIR MIX ALOT, 3RD BASE, SPECIAL ED, etc..

Dude, it's not even a culture thing - I'm black and I can't stand that stuff - I KNOW it is because I am too old and glad about it.........

13371[/snapback]

I think a lot of it is just an act put on to whip a crowd of teenagers into a frenzy.

For those of you complaining about all of the Rap/R&B sucking... I agree. But take a look at the rock groups they had... wow. Freaking horrible. That one dude sounded horrible. He couldn't even hit the high "notes." Not to mention that "sleep all day, stayin' up all niiiiiight" junk. Wow. All of the guitar driven stuff coming out now sounds EXACTLY the same. Weak riffs highlighted by guys who all try to sound like stereotypical punk singers.

I can proudly say that I didn't know who 75% of the people on there were. I found it funny that in 5 years, they'll all be no names again.

I can't say that I think any of those "artists" treasure their moon-men awards. It's just a giant MTV publicity stunt.

I've said it before around here... I've started going BACKWARDS to find good music. The "2000-2009" years are shaping up to be another 1980's when it comes to music. There is plenty of stuff around still new to me. I don't need this new crap.

mcjeff I agree with you completely.

I listen to the 80's station all the time.

The good thing is that typically when music gets to this point someone comes out with something that will change the direction of what is produced.

Video Music Awards? Given out by a network that no longer plays music videos? Hmmmm, interesting concept.

People who buy rock oriented music are not in their demographic (aka 9 to 16 year olds). If your not a Britney-clone tart or a wind-up flavor of the month supergansta rapper then you aint "hot" enough for the MTV music generation.

MTV is no longer for music lovers in general.

who was that doing a duet with christina aguilara? what song was that? they sounded awesome! she may be a skank, but shes got a set of pipes on her 

nelly... that was a great song

One thing i noticed was that big boi pushed the bible during his speech, then during outkast's songs, he yelled "play the goddamn song andre". I thought that was funny. Those monk looking people and that song was just plain odd.

13301[/snapback]

I flipped it off as soon as they lumped the three rock bands together.

"You guys each get 90 seconds to perform your hit 4 minute songs. Enjoy."

Freakin' Shaq had more time to 'perform' (see also: make an ass of himself as always) than each rock band.

WHAT UP MIAMI? WHAAAAAT UPP??

Apparently the real low point was when 14-year old JoJo introduced U.S. Olympians with "Da Olympians got der own bling bling!" Thankfully, I heard about this from someone else because I would have smashed my fist through the TV had I been subjected to it live.

i agree with your statement completely, there is alot of crap to wade through, but there is some good stuff out there

There is plenty of good music from any era, including this one.  You just have to look below the surface.  I do agree though that the surface right now looks mighty bad.

Usher?  Hoo boy!  No thank you please!

13535[/snapback]

There is very little creativity and original music comming out these days. I know a few of the names, but most of them I have never, nor would care to, heard of.

The music industry likes to point fingers at file sharing, saying that is the reason for low album sales the last five years or so. Give a listen to what is on the radio and MTV these days. The problem is not file sharing, it is just that there are very few real talented people being signed to record deals these days.

Isn't it funny how soundtracks and the music you hear in lots of background situations these days has evolved into rap music? Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy rap in the day, but I agree that most of it is garbage these days. Just plain terrible.

I also find it ironic that many of the "hits" these days are nothing more than samples from old songs, and remakes of old classics. I heard some kid the other day talking about the awesome song that some crummy band wrote called "just what I needed". Yes, the one by the CARS. Sigh, I guess I am just old too....

13301[/snapback]

Yo Gant! Don't hate da playa's, hate da game of gettin' ole. Ole folks has been puttin' down the new shizzle since bacons had sizzle.

<_<

I do'nt go near that MTV garbage. I watched it when I was a stupid kid growing up, which is what it really is for. Then the next day I wised up, to better things on tv. People say I am part of the "MTV Generation", and I say, HELL NO! I am part of the "ESPN Generation" :unsure:

Here's the deal with MTV-type music industry today:

It's how you LOOK and how marketable you are as an "entertainer".

Look no further than:

-Jessica Simpson

-her sister (who the eff would watch a show about someone's famous sister who is not known for her music, but the fact that she's got a famous sister who is not popular because of her music????????)

this is the kind of stuff that drives my loony

:lol:

I also find it ironic that many of the "hits" these days are nothing more than samples from old songs, and remakes of old classics. I heard some kid the other day talking about the awesome song that some crummy band wrote called "just what I needed". Yes, the one by the CARS. Sigh, I guess I am just old too....

13724[/snapback]

I was working with a youngster a few years ago when Orgy's version of Blue Monday came on the radio. I started commenting about how these acts nowadays redo songs that I grew up with, and the younger generation think it's the greatest song they ever heard. Now we have 311 redoing The Cure. And I've even heard a dance/electronica version of Stairway To Heaven.

Yo Gant! Don't hate da playa's, hate da game of gettin' ole. Ole folks has been puttin' down the new shizzle since bacons had sizzle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol::(:P

word my brother, word....