cantankerous

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for iphone:

Clear - check list app for my tasks

Al Jazeera Live - HD live stream of their English news

TuneIn Radio - listen to, record, etc radio stations from all over the world.

Zillow - take a tour of all your neighbor's houses, and find out what they are worth

ScoutMob - a MUCH better take on the "Groupon" fad which doesnt require you to purchase anything up front

for iphone:

Clear - check list app for my tasks

Al Jazeera Live - HD live stream of their English news

TuneIn Radio - listen to, record, etc radio stations from all over the world.

Zillow - take a tour of all your neighbor's houses, and find out what they are worth

ScoutMob - a MUCH better take on the "Groupon" fad which doesnt require you to purchase anything up front

According to zillow, my house is in foreclosure. Good to know. laugh.gif

For Android:

-Profile scheduler - great app for managing when to turn on/off GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi - great for maximizing battery life

-Cozi - Great app to keep the family calendar - no more waiting to check the wall calendar at home to see if I'm clear do to something

-Quell - pretty neat zen game - good mental workout but also relaxing

-Stupid Zombies - when you just need a few hundred levels of killing zombies using bullets and the laws of phsics

-TuneIn radio - gets you almost anything you're looking to listen to

+1 on Cozi. We use it to coordinate on the farm for chores, dates, events, etc.

For Android Bionic:

GasBuddy: Works here in small town country USA. Tells you local costs of wherever you are at, direction coohesiveness is lackluster.

Where's my Droid: Where is it?!

JuiceDefender: Save the battery!

Doorbell Ap: Drive dogs crazy when you want to piss someone off.

Buffalo Bills Ap: Why not?

Google Sky Map: Hold it to the sky and it will show you what everything is...from the sun to Uranus.

Freds Sounboard: Stern lovers; this is a must.

PdaNet: Tether your laptop to your computer and you have wireless anywhere.

WGR Radio: WGR on the droid.

Swiss Army Knife and Flashlight, both great aps.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the one that lets me enter numbers and press a button, then magically lets me talk to another person in possession of the same device.

Because...y'know...it's a !@#$ing phone.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the one that lets me enter numbers and press a button, then magically lets me talk to another person in possession of the same device.

Because...y'know...it's a !@#$ing phone.

StuckinCincy came back after all.

Trulia is a better real estate app than Zillow IMO; we're looking to upgrade the house so use it frequently these days. Other good free apps:

ESPN -- good for scores

Yelp

TuneIn Radio

Yahoo fantasy baseball/football -- not great apps, but allows you to change your lineup in a pinch.

Living Social

Angry Birds

Netflix

Kansas City Steak Company Steak Timer.

Flashlight -- mine uses the camera flash so you get a real light (not just a colored screen like the crappy ones).

And of course,

Frank's Red Hot wing finder.

Agree completely on google sky map,

use yelp all the time.

Untappd for beer

I'll check out freds sbd.

+1 on Cozi. We use it to coordinate on the farm for chores, dates, events, etc.

For Android Bionic:

GasBuddy: Works here in small town country USA. Tells you local costs of wherever you are at, direction coohesiveness is lackluster.

Where's my Droid: Where is it?!

JuiceDefender: Save the battery!

Doorbell Ap: Drive dogs crazy when you want to piss someone off.

Buffalo Bills Ap: Why not?

Google Sky Map: Hold it to the sky and it will show you what everything is...from the sun to Uranus.

Freds Sounboard: Stern lovers; this is a must.

PdaNet: Tether your laptop to your computer and you have wireless anywhere.

WGR Radio: WGR on the droid.

Swiss Army Knife and Flashlight, both great aps.

StuckinCincy came back after all.

Not quite. For a great many people, smartphones are considerable overkill...many of the people I know who have smartphones don't use, don't know how to use, and have no need of using even a tenth the capacity of the phone. I know one person who bought a mammoth LG smartphone specifically because they were going to Harper's Ferry that day and wanted to take pictures. Now admittedly, they justified it ex post facto with "But I can update my Facebook status with it, and check my email, and write papers on it for school, and browse the web. I need to know all this stuff so I can function in the modern world." :blink:

It ain't the concept of smart phones that bugs me...it's the marketing that convinces people that, if your phone isn't running Ice Cream Sandwich or iOS 5 and you can't twitter the color of your **** directly from the toilet, you're a complete loser. The vast majority of people don't need a mobile computer, they need...a phone. Hell, I'm a software developer, I dabble in mobile apps, and I can't even justify owning a smart phone. For the most part (NOT universally, mind you), it's just a way to separate people who have no capacity for rational thought from their money.

Now get off my !@#$ing lawn.

Radarscope for Iphone, allows me to see local weather patterns and systems moving in while boating. Accurate and can let me see right down to where I am traveling or sitting in the bay. Much cheaper than a full blown radar system for the boat!

Does that actually work for you? Mine crashes after two minutes, fairly reliably.

I have listened 3 or 4 times for roughly 10 minutes total; during the MW signing. It worked find.

Radarscope for Iphone, allows me to see local weather patterns and systems moving in while boating. Accurate and can let me see right down to where I am traveling or sitting in the bay. Much cheaper than a full blown radar system for the boat!

how is this any different then using something like weather.com? Or one of the GPS weather units that come on phones?

Not quite. For a great many people, smartphones are considerable overkill...many of the people I know who have smartphones don't use, don't know how to use, and have no need of using even a tenth the capacity of the phone. I know one person who bought a mammoth LG smartphone specifically because they were going to Harper's Ferry that day and wanted to take pictures. Now admittedly, they justified it ex post facto with "But I can update my Facebook status with it, and check my email, and write papers on it for school, and browse the web. I need to know all this stuff so I can function in the modern world." :blink:

It ain't the concept of smart phones that bugs me...it's the marketing that convinces people that, if your phone isn't running Ice Cream Sandwich or iOS 5 and you can't twitter the color of your **** directly from the toilet, you're a complete loser. The vast majority of people don't need a mobile computer, they need...a phone. Hell, I'm a software developer, I dabble in mobile apps, and I can't even justify owning a smart phone. For the most part (NOT universally, mind you), it's just a way to separate people who have no capacity for rational thought from their money.

Now get off my !@#$ing lawn.

I have a mobile computer.

It's called a laptop.

Wooaaaaahhhhhh