Scouts Inc. take on the Bills (intriguing)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree: If the Bills do anything better then 6-10 he stays. 8-8 is likely, IMO, which won't ever make playoffs while N.E. is still in the AFCE.

8-8 is progress. I also think Gailey's offense is going to continue to get exposed, which may be his ultimate downfall.

:unsure:

Do you really think that Gailey is holding this offense back? This team has a serious talent deficiency on offense. At QB, Fitzpatrick hasn't yet proven to be a top 1/2 of the league starter. They don't have a very good LT. They have one starting caliber WR in Stevie Johnson and one good 3rd WR in David Nelson. Scott Chandler was a very big upgrade over the TEs the Bills have had for years, but he is still a bottom 1/3 of the league starting TE (all of this in my opinion).

Buffalo Bills

It will be very interesting to see how Buffalo uses the No. 10 pick. Free agency treated this team very well and the Bills look to be a team on the rise. The Bills also have extra picks in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds. Having some many picks, and not lacking for overall depth as they often are this time of year, the Bills could be players over the course of this draft.

I am just throwing it out there, but I sure bet coach Chan Gailey would love to get his hands on QB Ryan Tannehill. And that situation in Buffalo would be excellent for Tannehill's development, as he could sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and learn his craft under Gailey. If I were in charge of the Bills, I would be very interested in moving up to the seventh overall pick to grab Tannehill if he's still available. If that isn't the case, which is probably more likely, the Bills could go in several different directions with that 10th pick. Somewhat surprisingly, Buffalo doesn't have a lot of prominent needs right now, but it could certainly use a starting-caliber left tackle. A wide receiver opposite Steve Johnson would be second on my to-do list. The Bills should have their pick of any offensive tackle on the board besides Matt Kalil. But is Riley Reiff worth that 10th pick? I wouldn't use such a rich draft pick on Reiff, whom I view as a starting-caliber tackle but not special in any particular way. For the Bills, I actually preferred Mike Adams (before the news of his failed drug test at the combine), because of his high upside as a pass protector. But I prefer WR Michael Floyd to either.

If the Bills bypass offensive tackle in the first frame, that should override everything else in the subsequent rounds. As the draft goes along, the Bills actually could find themselves in the very favorable position of taking the best player available, while adding a wide receiver somewhat early in what has shaped up to be a deep draft for the position. Buffalo, which also has a very favorable 2012 schedule, could make some noise in the AFC next season. A great draft, which seems possible, would sure help.

I will have to trust Chans judgement if he somehow traded up to get Tannehill or took him at 10 if he falls...but I would much rather see us use a lower round pick (like a 3rd) to get Mallet rather than waste our high first round pick with a guy that reminds me of the JP Losman project.

Buffalo Bills

It will be very interesting to see how Buffalo uses the No. 10 pick. Free agency treated this team very well and the Bills look to be a team on the rise. The Bills also have extra picks in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds. Having some many picks, and not lacking for overall depth as they often are this time of year, the Bills could be players over the course of this draft.

I am just throwing it out there, but I sure bet coach Chan Gailey would love to get his hands on QB Ryan Tannehill. And that situation in Buffalo would be excellent for Tannehill's development, as he could sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and learn his craft under Gailey. If I were in charge of the Bills, I would be very interested in moving up to the seventh overall pick to grab Tannehill if he's still available. If that isn't the case, which is probably more likely, the Bills could go in several different directions with that 10th pick. Somewhat surprisingly, Buffalo doesn't have a lot of prominent needs right now, but it could certainly use a starting-caliber left tackle. A wide receiver opposite Steve Johnson would be second on my to-do list. The Bills should have their pick of any offensive tackle on the board besides Matt Kalil. But is Riley Reiff worth that 10th pick? I wouldn't use such a rich draft pick on Reiff, whom I view as a starting-caliber tackle but not special in any particular way. For the Bills, I actually preferred Mike Adams (before the news of his failed drug test at the combine), because of his high upside as a pass protector. But I prefer WR Michael Floyd to either.

If the Bills bypass offensive tackle in the first frame, that should override everything else in the subsequent rounds. As the draft goes along, the Bills actually could find themselves in the very favorable position of taking the best player available, while adding a wide receiver somewhat early in what has shaped up to be a deep draft for the position. Buffalo, which also has a very favorable 2012 schedule, could make some noise in the AFC next season. A great draft, which seems possible, would sure help.

I think "if I were in charge of the Bills" is the operative phrase here. Dunno who this "Scouts Inc" organization is, but this reads like a typical fan blog or post.

Hopefully, the people who actually ARE in charge of the Bills are able to see that in fact, Buffalo does have a number of prominent needs right now, including LT, WR, CB, and LB - preferably 2 LT and 2 LB.

It's very difficult to draft a QB in the 1st round and let him sit. Fans want to see him, unless the starter is at the level of "Long Time NFL Legend" like Favre or Manning.

It's even harder to TRADE UP to draft a QB in the 1st round, thus costing additional valuable chances at improving the team, and then let him sit.

I'll disagree with you guys on this. I want the first-rounder to contribute this year, not sit on the bench.

All signs point to Nix being of your mindset. I'm sure Gailey would love to have his hands on RGIII or Luck, doesn't mean it's in the team's interest to sell the necessary farms.

Edited by Hopeful

I agree -- if Tannehill is avail, the Bills phones will be ringing and they should answer.

No way he gets by Miami. The only trade up scenario would involve a team trying to leapfrog Miami and since we draft AFTER Miami a trade up would not benefit us (Jags would be the likely beneficiary--sorry guys).

I'd be happy if the Bills picked a developmental QB sometime after the first round. As Buddy says, good QBs are hard to find so you just keep drafting 'em until you land one. Fitz will not be around forever and is still somewhat unproven in any case.

I really, really want an OT who can start their rookie year. We only have 3 OT's on the roster and I'm not especially excited about any of them protecting Fitz's backside. Unfortunately, I doubt if we get a starting OT in this draft. I think Buddy will stick more-or-less to BPA rather than reach for an OT. I suspect we won't pick an offensive lineman until the 3rd or 4th round and that person won't be an immediate starter. (Though I hope they turn out better than Ed Wang).

We're going to enter the 2012 season with an OL that's not what we want it to be. Considering games are won and lost in the trenches, this concerns me.

Nine out of the last ten Super Bowls were won by teams that had franchise QBs. The New York Giants are a good example of what it takes to win a Super Bowl. They have a franchise QB in the form of Eli Manning. (The last few years, Eli's numbers have been at least as good as his brother's career averages.) Not only do the Giants have a franchise QB, they also have a complete team to go with him. The Giants' combination of a franchise QB and a complete team gives them a significant advantage when playing against a team which lacks one or the other of those things. In the postseason, teams without franchise QBs tend to get eliminated by teams with them.

Unfortunately, Fitz is not a franchise QB. The Bills' window of opportunity to win the Super Bowl will not open until they acquire a franchise QB.

Buffalo Bills

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chan Gailey is on year three and in no way wants a 1st round "project" QB who won't even see the field in 2012 and won't be able to help the Bills reach the playoffs which Chan realistically needs to stay on as head coach.

Luck or RGIII were the only two guys the Bills would have drafted in the first round. End of story.

Why is it lately that anyone who has any kind of opinion at all thinks they're ending the story.

This isn't the end of the story. Far from it.

Chan Gailey is going nowhere after this year unless they win about three games and he loses the team. If they win seven games and are competitive in most, his job will be absolutely safe. Look at how long Ralph held on to Jauron.

You're right that Gailey would probably rather have a guy who'll contribute quickly. That's one of many reasons why Gailey doesn't make the picks, Nix does. Tannehill is a possibility, particularly if he falls. I don't see us having a chance at him, or picking him if we do, but it's absolutely a possibility.

Still wouldn't mind taking tannehill at 10. I think he has everything he needs to succeed and he just needs time which he will get with us

Here is my take, if the Dolfins don't take him with his coach being able to coach him again it says a lot about what his own coach does not think he will make it in the NFL. The only project QB I want in this draft is Osweilder (sp) Round 3 better yet 4.

Chan Gailey is on year three and in no way wants a 1st round "project" QB who won't even see the field in 2012 and won't be able to help the Bills reach the playoffs which Chan realistically needs to stay on as head coach.

Luck or RGIII were the only two guys the Bills would have drafted in the first round. End of story.

Agree....at some point, man, you just want you team to win. I am not saying you go and sign a bunch of mid 30 vets for the team like the Over The Hill Gang (which this team hasn't done), but you need to fill holes now and make this team better.

Tannehill is light years behind Luck and Griffin, and if there had been any depth in this draft would not have gone in the first or even beginning of the second round. Of all the people suggested for the 10 pick to date, he is the most unrealistic.

Reiff is still the bpa at 10 the way things are playing out and he is the best position player as well. Picking him should be a no brainer.

If Reiff isn't available I think Keuchley and Floyd figure into the mix as the offensive tackles after Reiff look like very late first rounder or early second rounders.

Second round? If there is a first rate OLB I'd go that route. I see us drafting another OT somewhere in the mix and see us looking for depth on the offensive and defensive lines.

We can do ourselves a lot of good this year.