Another opinion on Fitz

eball

Take it for what it's worth, but a good friend of mine ran into John Shoop a couple of weeks ago at a social gathering. Shoop has lived in Chapel Hill for the past 5 years as OC for the Tar Heels (under Butch Davis), and just recently found himself unemployed when the new HC was hired. He also has considerable NFL coaching experience as an OC and QB coach; he was Dick Jauron's OC during the "miracle" season in Chicago (which won't make him many friends around here, I know). He's only 42, but has been coaching for 17 years -- 12 in the NFL. I would think he has a decent perspective on QB play and what it takes to succeed at the position in the NFL.

Anyway, once Shoop realized my friend was from Buffalo and a Bills fan, he offered an opinion on Fitz that was incredibly positive. Among other things, he made a comment something to the effect of, "you guys don't need to worry about your QB."

I find Shoop's unsolicited comments "thread-worthy" for a couple of reasons; one, Shoop played QB in college and all of his coaching experience is on the offensive side of the ball (credibility). And two, he really had no agenda or ulterior motive in offering his opinion to my friend. Their wives know each other and it was a completely random meeting.

Again, take it for what it's worth; I found it interesting (and comforting) heading into the 2012 season.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but didn't Jim Kelly think Trent Edwards was good, or something?

I like Fitz, and I love what he showed us the first half of the year. But still, we need more results than that, so hopefully he can put together a full season like he's shown us he's capable of. If he can't this year, then we really need to look at other options.

Take it for what it's worth, but a good friend of mine ran into John Shoop a couple of weeks ago at a social gathering. Shoop has lived in Chapel Hill for the past 5 years as OC for the Tar Heels (under Butch Davis), and just recently found himself unemployed when the new HC was hired. He also has considerable NFL coaching experience as an OC and QB coach; he was Dick Jauron's OC during the "miracle" season in Chicago (which won't make him many friends around here, I know). He's only 42, but has been coaching for 17 years -- 12 in the NFL. I would think he has a decent perspective on QB play and what it takes to succeed at the position in the NFL.

Anyway, once Shoop realized my friend was from Buffalo and a Bills fan, he offered an opinion on Fitz that was incredibly positive. Among other things, he made a comment something to the effect of, "you guys don't need to worry about your QB."

I find Shoop's unsolicited comments "thread-worthy" for a couple of reasons; one, Shoop played QB in college and all of his coaching experience is on the offensive side of the ball (credibility). And two, he really had no agenda or ulterior motive in offering his opinion to my friend. Their wives know each other and it was a completely random meeting.

Again, take it for what it's worth; I found it interesting (and comforting) heading into the 2012 season.

Thanks for posting, eball!

I posted an analysis about a year ago of the length of time it took successful QB who were drafted in the 1st round, to succeed (I explained how I defined succeed) vs later round draftees.

The interesting thing was that while 1st round draftees typically succeeded ~2 years worth of games, successful later round draftees took more like 3-5 years of games (there are exceptions of course).

In terms of how much he's seen the field, Fitz is right about where a "typical" late round success story is before "making it".

So I think this is a critical year for Fitz - either he continues his play of the 1st half of last season or even improves it, or he shows he's plateaued.

In the same light, it's kind of a critical year for Bradford with the Rams. He was a #1 pick. It's his 3rd year. The team is overall bad, and has just made a coaching change.

The fans have been cutting him a break because he's spending so much time on his keister, but his statistics are similar to Colt McCoy, whom people call a "bust" and call loudly for drafting Tannehill.

He needs to show improvement.

PS your avatar still rocks

When he was the OC with the Bears, they used to call the offense the "run n Shoop". He was kinda hated here as the offense was SOOOOO vanilla. It's just another opinion. The Bills still have to plan for the "what if he ain't", as Buddy would say.

I think 95% of last years' collapse (and not just Fitz but the whole team) was driven by the injuries to Fitz, Wood, and Jackson.

The one facet of Fitz' game that I'd like to see improve is his touch on shorter passes. Most of his throws come out at max velocity and it makes those shorter passes to the flat and sort middle tougher to catch.

There are people who are not very confident in Fitz on this board and there are people who think he is good enough to lead this team back to an elite level. There is no point worrying about it and arguing about it. he will we our Qb this year. Fitz will be the one who makes it clear this year if he's capable of being a great Qb or not. If he falters this year, it's time to look for the next starter. If he shows he can do the job and take the team to the next level, we should all be very happy. Barring injury, it's all on Fitz.

There are people who are not very confident in Fitz on this board and there are people who think he is good enough to lead this team back to an elite level. There is no point worrying about it and arguing about it. he will we our Qb this year. Fitz will be the one who makes it clear this year if he's capable of being a great Qb or not. If he falters this year, it's time to look for the next starter. If he shows he can do the job and take the team to the next level, we should all be very happy. Barring injury, it's all on Fitz.

You're right, but what if he does falter or is injured? We have no credible backup.

How can an organization go into yet another season with only one guy who can compete in the NFL and a questionable one at that?

Oh yeah, it's the Bills we are talking about.

Hopefully, they'll draft some kid who is ready to step up, but what are the odds of that?

How can an organization go into yet another season with only one guy who can compete in the NFL and a questionable one at that?

How many people were asking that question in Indianapolis before last year?

if we wait, it may be too late cuz it'll take a rookie a couple years... maybe longer (since it won't be a top 5 pick). by then a lot of the core may be past their prime... ideally you have someone ready for 2013 if Fitz ain't the answer. taking a QB high this year may not seem like we're ready to win now, but i think it may say exactly that. this team is ready and we can't put all our eggs in the Fitz basket.

You're right, but what if he does falter or is injured? We have no credible backup.

Oh yeah, it's the Bills we are talking about.

Hopefully, they'll draft some kid who is ready to step up, but what are the odds of that?

What teams have "credible" back-ups? New England? No. Jets? Ha! Dolphins? No. And what chance did Thigpen have to show how "credible" he is last year? Seven or eight snaps? Pre-season means less than nothing.

And what chance did Thigpen have to show how "credible" he is last year? Seven or eight snaps? Pre-season means less than nothing.

Everything the coaching staff saw from Thigpen in preseason, practices, and meetings apparently made them feel an injured Fitz still gave them a better shot at winning.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Everything the coaching staff saw from Thigpen in preseason, practices, and meetings apparently made them feel an injured Fitz still gave them a better shot at winning.

Not disagreeing with you ... but wouldn't that be true of any starter who can still play? Steelers sent Ben R. on the field when he could barely walk.

he must have only watched the first five games last year. Nothing against fitz, i dont think he is bad or is great, but there has been no concrete proof so far to say he is either the answer or not to our qb issue......revisit this convo next january if he makes it through a full season and then we will have a better idea...