Quote from Buddy in player character article

showmeSP

Link

Sorry if this has already been posted, but i thought it was an interesting read.

Buddy quoted saying that run-ins with the law don't necessarily eliminate a guy from his board, but repeat offenders and guys who get into "the wrong kind of trouble" don't interest him.

Does the repeat offender quote mean we're staying away from Floyd or Jenkins?

kinda what i was thinking all off season is that the bills FO has said it time and time again they want high character guys. and im all for second chances but when a player has multiple of field issues imo the bills FO knocks them way way down the draft board.

Link

Sorry if this has already been posted, but i thought it was an interesting read.

Buddy quoted saying that run-ins with the law don't necessarily eliminate a guy from his board, but repeat offenders and guys who get into "the wrong kind of trouble" don't interest him.

Buddy has made comments on both of them. They are comfy with Floyd- talked to him at the combine and at his pro day. he said Jenkins is a great player, but his off field behavior is a problem...

I am too lazy to look for the links, but IIRC it was his WGR interview the day after the draft luncheon...you can easily find them out there

Buddy has made comments on both of them. They are comfy with Floyd- talked to him at the combine and at his pro day. he said Jenkins is a great player, but his off field behavior is a problem...

I am too lazy to look for the links, but IIRC it was his WGR interview the day after the draft luncheon...you can easily find them out there

No way can Nix be 'comfy' with Floyd, who was cited for drunken driving with a BAC of more than twice the legal limit and has 3 alcohol-related arrests in a 2-year span. If it happens again within 10 years, it'll be a felony DWI.

Anyone really think that Nix is stupid enough to blow a 1st round pick on a guy who shows a pattern of recidivism and - besides the obvious suspension by Goodell - is likely headed to jail if (when) he gets his next DWI?

Link

I read Floyd as a "maybe" (allegedly cleaned up his act his Sr year) and Jenkins as a "no" (didn't)

No way can Nix be 'comfy' with Floyd, who was cited for drunken driving with a BAC of more than twice the legal limit and has 3 alcohol-related arrests in a 2-year span. If it happens again within 10 years, it'll be a felony DWI.

Anyone really think that Nix is stupid enough to blow a 1st round pick on a guy who shows a pattern of recidivism and - besides the obvious suspension by Goodell - is likely headed to jail if (when) he gets his next DWI?

Everyone was clamoring for Buddy to sign Vincent Jackson and he no longer has a license apparently.

I am not arguing, just wondering why you say that? Arent these state laws we're talking about? Is it a federal mandate or a NYS mandate that anyone getting two DWIs in 10 years even if one occurred in another state it is a felony DWI? Again I am just asking, I do not know either way. And I also do not know if Goodell would consider his college record of two years ago part of his pro record, in case he had another drinking incident. Yes, he can do whatever he wants, but is there any precedent for this?

I still don't get the man love for Floyd at 10?!

he isn't fast...

his route running is slightly above average and when he was going against better cb competition over the past several years he was nonexistent...

factor in his DUI and underage drinking charges and he doesn't look like a top ten pick at all!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Link

Probably.

he isn't fast...

his route running is slightly above average and when he was going against better cb competition over the past several years he was nonexistent...

factor in his DUI and underage drinking charges and he doesn't look like a top ten pick at all!

His name is Floyd though...so like Floyd Flows whenever he touches the ball would be killer commentary for the announcers

I am not arguing, just wondering why you say that? Arent these state laws we're talking about? Is it a federal mandate or a NYS mandate that anyone getting two DWIs in 10 years even if one occurred in another state it is a felony DWI? Again I am just asking, I do not know either way. And I also do not know if Goodell would consider his college record of two years ago part of his pro record, in case he had another drinking incident. Yes, he can do whatever he wants, but is there any precedent for this?

Briefly, from People v. Ballman, NY Court of Appeals...

...the 2006 amendments ended the practice of treating all prior out-of-state convictions as mere traffic infractions under New York law. Rather, for purposes of determining penalties, a prior out-of-state conviction is now treated as a conviction of the equivalent conduct under New York law.

link

There has been a great deal of debate regarding recent marijuana use, alcohol use/abuse, etc. and in another thread I was nearly skinned alive for saying that marijuana use/abuse should be treated seriously, but this to me reinforces the notion that character is equally important to talent....many people on this board have said, "Who cares what players do off the field as long as they produce on the field?"...but character is at time under-rated and at times misunderstood....Character to me is the equivalent of integrity...I don't expect any player to be a choir-boy or a "Saint" such as Tebow, but I do expect a man, who is a professional, to conduct himself with integrity...to NOT get arrested, to NOT use illegal substances - whether they "should" be legal or not is for another debate, to treat their family with respect and be responsible in public view as they are public figures....I also realize college kids make dumb mistakes, God knows I certainly did, and I won't hold minor indescretions against a college kid who is coming of age and still maturing, but there are certain flags a GM should pay attention to, such as repeated drug use or arrests related to alcohol use/abuse....in addition to the basic character issues mentioned above, I would want a player that is hard working and team oriented, I'd want a guy with a reputation to give it everything in practice as much as on game day and a guy who is reliable to show up to practice, early for meetings, participating in all activities and respectful of his coaches (at least to their faces)...respectful doesn't mean kissing their ass*s, it simply means doing what is required without constant argument and somewhere in there finding a few quality leaders of the bunch and that sometimes means sucking up your pride and doing what is asked/demanded of you, even when you don't like it...Integrity, that to me is tantamount to "character"....character has a wide-sweeping somewhat moral judgment, integrity is more of what a team should be looking for thereby removing some of the morality of the discussion.....

Character should not be sacrificed at the cost of talent...this is the NFL, we should demand both....there may be varying levels of talent, because you're born with that or you're not, but integrity can be learned and developed and should remain constant across the board regardless of where you're drafted or your assumed talent level, because hard-work and conducting yourself with integrity is basic decision making, and those skills should be somewhat developed by the time a player is ready to transition to the NFL...

Briefly, from People v. Ballman, NY Court of Appeals...

...the 2006 amendments ended the practice of treating all prior out-of-state convictions as mere traffic infractions under New York law. Rather, for purposes of determining penalties, a prior out-of-state conviction is now treated as a conviction of the equivalent conduct under New York law.

link

I cant read these documents well sometimes but didnt your link say just the opposite? That the quote you used above was applied but that the appeals court reversed that decision and it didnt apply? I could have misread it. ;)

he isn't fast...

AND don't forget to factor-in the Notre Dame quarterbacking!!!

I cant read these documents well sometimes but didnt your link say just the opposite? That the quote you used above was applied but that the appeals court reversed that decision and it didnt apply? I could have misread it. ;)

The reason you can't read them well is because those documents are written so as to be completely incomprehensible to those outside the legal profession whose livelihoods they sustain. B-)

What I tried to do is distill the single relevant sentence from that decision - ignoring all the excess verbiage about the 1985 and 2006 amendments, when and how each of those amendments became effective, and how they affect prior convictions. If you do take the time to read the entire decision VERY closely ( I wouldn't bother), you'll find that the single sentence I cited was correct.

In essence...

Prior to November 1, 2006, a prior out-of-state conviction for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs was deemed to be a prior conviction of DWAI. Thus, it could not be used as a predicate for a felony DWI charge in New York.

Effective November 1, 2006, a prior out-of-state conviction for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is deemed to be a prior conviction of the analogous section of VTL § 1192 (if such conduct would have constituted misdemeanor or felony DWI, Aggravated DWI, DWAI Drugs or DWAI Combined Influence if it had occurred in New York). The significance of this change is that an out-of-state conviction can now potentially be used as a predicate for a felony DWI charge in New York.

Hope that's clear enough.

I seriously doubt Floyd is the pick at 10. Not when your GM talks about great depth at WR in the draft and there is ANY question about the guy. There are questions about Floyd even outside the alcohol. Now if Blackmon were available.....

BigBuff, +1 for your post concerning character and integrity. No one is perfect, I know I've made my share of mistakes growing as well. Mix in a heavy dose of talent with a healthy amount of integrity and that's the kind of player I will gladly cheer for.

BigBuff, +1 for your post concerning character and integrity. No one is perfect, I know I've made my share of mistakes growing as well. Mix in a heavy dose of talent with a healthy amount of integrity and that's the kind of player I will gladly cheer for.

My feelings are similar to yours regarding youthful mistakes and second chances, Pilsner - even Riley Reiff had an incident at Iowa shortly after arriving on campus his freshman year. (And outran the Iowa City police on foot for 20 minutes before finally being arrested for public intoxication - very impressive for a drunken, 6' 6", 300+ pounds offensive tackle!!!! :beer:)

But I don't think Buddy Nix can take that chance with a guy like Michael Floyd. (Nix certainly wasted no time minimizing the Bills exposure to another Marshawn Lynch suspension.)

In Floyd's case, we're talking about spending the #10 overall pick on a guy who could very well end up on probation or - even worse - in jail if he gets another DWI conviction...not to mention losing the services of a 1st round pick to the inevitable multiple-game suspension from Goodell.

Senator I agree with you that Nix won't go with Floyd. Part of it due to too many red flags for Nixley's taste. Perhaps Floyd is truly on a better path now but I doubt Nix will risk it. Also Floyd (if I'm correct) doesn't have the speed we're looking for to stretch the field. Buddy wanted Meachem for this purpose. Easley could be our man for this but we shall see.

Edited by Pilsner

There has been a great deal of debate regarding recent marijuana use, alcohol use/abuse, etc. ........

Character should not be sacrificed at the cost of talent...this is the NFL, we should demand both....there may be varying levels of talent, because you're born with that or you're not, but integrity can be learned and developed and should remain constant across the board regardless of where you're drafted or your assumed talent level, because hard-work and conducting yourself with integrity is basic decision making, and those skills should be somewhat developed by the time a player is ready to transition to the NFL...

Hey, remind me of where on this arbirtrary-but-obviously-very-rigid character spectrum Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas sit. You know, the guys whose missteps have been well recounted here, from alcoholism, to falling asleep in traffic, to womanizing, to plenty of downtown Fredonia exploits. In the NFL, you either perform or you don't, and if you do, all you have to do is not get caught doing something too dumb. I'm not saying they should draft Floyd, nor am I saying they shouldn't, but the only thing the Bills should be concerned about is whether these guys let any outside factors impact their work. I'd be much more concerned about a guy with a domestic abuse history than a guy who has smoked marijuana before, and I would be looking for evidence of a personal change in the situation Floyd is in. You can't write everyone off for not being a choirboy when you employ a lot of people for whom athletics is a best, last chance.