Monday workout day

This is put up or shut up time for not only Merriman, but many posters. Merriman finally had the achilles surgery he's been delaying, so there are no more excuses. Every Bills fan should be hoping for the best.

I know I am looking way to far ahead, but let's say Merriman gets btwn 8-10 sacks this season, do we resign him? And if so, for how much?

My guess would be for him to take a paycut from what he would otherwise command and I personally think he would be OK with taking some what of a hit to stay here. He's done much work building up Buffalo as a place to be amd helped recruit some players as well. If he backs out after a decent year and stabs Buddy in the back he would look horrible. Not to mention Barnett, Morrison, and potentially Williams would be very angry. You wouldn't like them when they're angry.

He also failed one of over 19 drug tests the NFL gave him, and had his best year after he was off his alleged steroids. Not to mention that if you see him now he is an absolute beast.

C'mon, Kelly. Everybody knows Merriman cheated on those other 18 tests and that it takes two years of being off steroids before the body starts breaking down.

At least that's what I've been told around here in other threads where I've argued the same pro-Merriman position. He last failed a drug test in the summer of 2006 and later served his mandatory 4 games that same season. It wasn't until more than two years after he failed that test that he sustained his first major injury. A result of a cheap shot to his knee by a Titans player. Ironically, it was his determination to come back from that knee injury too soon, that he first aggravated his achilles. I don't know but some people can appreciate a guy wanting to get back on the field. I can also appreciate him initially taking the non-surgical route to heal from that achilles injury. The doctors gave him that option at the time.

I will now await the "but it was HGH that the league never tested for that allowed him to have such a great 2007 season." These will be the same people who argue that his body was broken down from steroid WHILE he was taking HGH.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This is put up or shut up time for not only Merriman, but many posters. Merriman finally had the achilles surgery he's been delaying, so there are no more excuses. Every Bills fan should be hoping for the best.

Why do you assume that HE was the one delaying it? Don't you think a team with lot's of money invested and a need for his services might have something to do with promoting rest and limited activity rather than season-ending surgery? And maybe even the doctors examining him had recommended that course of action.

The fact is, his achilles never ruptured. It was frayed, but never totally failed. Perhaps the most prudent path medically, and the advice given him, was to see if it would heal on it's own first before taking the most drastic step of surgically repairing it?

The good thing is that they finally decided to repair it before it actually ruptured. I would think that has to be better than the alternative from a recovery perspective.

C'mon, Kelly. Everybody knows Merriman cheated on those other 18 tests and that it takes two years of being off steroids before the body starts breaking down.

At least that's what I've been told around here in other threads where I've argued the same pro-Merriman position. He last failed a drug test in the summer of 2006 and later served his mandatory 4 games that same season. It wasn't until more than two years after he failed that test that he sustained his first major injury. A result of a cheap shot to his knee by a Titans player. Ironically, it was his determination to come back from that knee injury too soon, that he first aggravated his achilles. I don't know but some people can appreciate a guy wanting to get back on the field. I can also appreciate him initially taking the non-surgical route to heal from that achilles injury. The doctors gave him that option at the time.

I will now await the "but it was HGH that the league never tested for that allowed him to have such a great 2007 season." These will be the same people who argue that his body was broken down from steroid WHILE he was taking HGH.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh come on now! Are trying to say that other athletes have had achilles issues who had never taken steroids or HGH? Nonesense! Everyone knows that there is a direct one-to-one correlation between achilles injuries and steriod abuse. Look it up! Where? I don't know, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere! :rolleyes:

Why do you assume that HE was the one delaying it? Don't you think a team with lot's of money invested and a need for his services might have something to do with promoting rest and limited activity rather than season-ending surgery? And maybe even the doctors examining him had recommended that course of action.

The fact is, his achilles never ruptured. It was frayed, but never totally failed. Perhaps the most prudent path medically, and the advice given him, was to see if it would heal on it's own first before taking the most drastic step of surgically repairing it?

The good thing is that they finally decided to repair it before it actually ruptured. I would think that has to be better than the alternative from a recovery perspective.

I think it was for contractual reasons, i.e. he wanted to get as much money as he could before getting it addressed. Kind of like how Kyle Williams got his big money and then got his nagging injury addressed.

The one thing I live about that article and the whole thought of Merriman is that he believes he's beack. A lot of this stuff can be mental to these guys. If the surgery was a sucessful one that is great. Even if not 100% it's still in SMs mind that it was. He will be back to his lights out form at least for a few games until his injury comes back up again. That's the worst that's gonna happen IMO. We never relied on him anyway. So if he can get on the field in situational positions a few tines and produce sone sacks then that's great. All I can do is think about our front 4 of Williams, Williams, Dareus and Anderson with Merriman playing as an OLB on 3rd down and long and blitzing the F&$K out of Brady and making him wish he was retired.

Regarding the first bolded statement, I had a nagging ankle injury while playing baseball and had to sit out for a few months. When I went back to the doctor and he said I was still like 85% but I could still play. When I stepped out onto the field, though, I felt 110%, and was running around making plays. Bottom line is, coming back from an injury is all about the players mentality.

Regarding the second bolded statement, that keeps me up at night imagining it and whenever I read someone saying that, my heart rate goes up a little bit

I think it was for contractual reasons, i.e. he wanted to get as much money as he could before getting it addressed. Kind of like how Kyle Williams got his big money and then got his nagging injury addressed.

Both these guys are smart, have no doubt. Financially and football smart. But Shawne sounded from his recent interviews he was playing physically limited football for the last 3 years. We have heard before that he was all good and ready to play and plop he was done. And i am still concerned.

If he can get 8 sacks next year then we should have about fourty by the end of the season as a team by my math. and that would be legendary.