Why Dre Kirkpatrick might be the guy

New poster here, just wanted to share some thoughts on the upcoming 1st round selection. In short, I think the Bills are down on Floyd and will pick Kirkpatrick.

Michael Floyd has received a lot of attention from Bills fans, and many think that he is the default selection if he's on the board at 10. However, I don't think that the Bills FO is nearly as enamored.

Over the past 2 drafts, I can't think of a single risky character-issue type guy that the Bills have pulled the trigger on. This is not an accident. The Bills have built one of the best locker-rooms in the NFL, and I think this is a major reason why players want to stay with or come to the them. With the exception of Janoris Jenkins, Michael Floyd has the worst character reputation of any first-rounder.

It's also not as if Michael Floyd is a perfect player or a perfect match for the team. Great receiver, but probably not an elite vertical threat (yes, I know his 40-time) and looks a little lazy in his route running. He does seem to meet the "open when he's not open" criterion, but all of the "second-coming of Larry Fitzgerald" talk is undoubtedly premature.

I'm also of the belief that Floyd's not having visited OBD is a bad sign given recent draft history. Kalil, Blackmon, Glenn and Kirkpatrick have all made visits.

Why Kirkpatrick? He is a perfect fit. He's an ideal zone corner, which fits Wanny's scheme. He's got great instincts, and tremendous length for the position. He's extremely physical, helps in run support, and would be one of the best options to cover the New England TE's. He's also from a big-time, Southern, SEC school, which we all know is important to the Nix.

Kirkpatrick does have a red flag, a incident recently where he was faced with marijuana charges that were later dropped. I don't think his issues are as bad as Floyd's who has been a repeat offender who's charges have not been dropped. Also keep in mind that Kirkpatrick gets excellent reviews from the Alabama coaching staff. I'm sure Dareus knows him well and can speak to his character.

10 is early for Dre but not huge reach, especially in this draft. Wes Bunting actually has him being selected before 10. He could be a great player at a valuable position and a position of need.

I'm not saying that I totally agree with it, but I think Kirkpatrick has a good chance of being selected at 10. I could definitely see them taking Blackmon if he slips or maybe an OT if they can talk themselves into it. Outside of this, I think Dre will be the guy.

Thoughts?

New poster here, just wanted to share some thoughts on the upcoming 1st round selection. In short, I think the Bills are down on Floyd and will pick Kirkpatrick.

Michael Floyd has received a lot of attention from Bills fans, and many think that he is the default selection if he's on the board at 10. However, I don't think that the Bills FO is nearly as enamored.

Over the past 2 drafts, I can't think of a single risky character-issue type guy that the Bills have pulled the trigger on. This is not an accident. The Bills have built one of the best locker-rooms in the NFL, and I think this is a major reason why players want to stay with or come to the them. With the exception of Janoris Jenkins, Michael Floyd has the worst character reputation of any first-rounder.

It's also not as if Michael Floyd is a perfect player or a perfect match for the team. Great receiver, but probably not an elite vertical threat (yes, I know his 40-time) and looks a little lazy in his route running. He does seem to meet the "open when he's not open" criterion, but all of the "second-coming of Larry Fitzgerald" talk is undoubtedly premature.

I'm also of the belief that Floyd's not having visited OBD is a bad sign given recent draft history. Kalil, Blackmon, Glenn and Kirkpatrick have all made visits.

Why Kirkpatrick? He is a perfect fit. He's an ideal zone corner, which fits Wanny's scheme. He's got great instincts, and tremendous length for the position. He's extremely physical, helps in run support, and would be one of the best options to cover the New England TE's. He's also from a big-time, Southern, SEC school, which we all know is important to the Nix.

Kirkpatrick does have a red flag, a incident recently where he was faced with marijuana charges that were later dropped. I don't think his issues are as bad as Floyd's who has been a repeat offender who's charges have not been dropped. Also keep in mind that Kirkpatrick gets excellent reviews from the Alabama coaching staff. I'm sure Dareus knows him well and can speak to his character.

10 is early for Dre but not huge reach, especially in this draft. Wes Bunting actually has him being selected before 10. He could be a great player at a valuable position and a position of need.

I'm not saying that I totally agree with it, but I think Kirkpatrick has a good chance of being selected at 10. I could definitely see them taking Blackmon if he slips or maybe an OT if they can talk themselves into it. Outside of this, I think Dre will be the guy.

I'd rather take a chance on Janoris Jenkins in the second round if he falls because of his off field troubles.

Thoughts?

never seen something get so ridiculously overblown like the "mike floyd character issues".

by all accounts he's an absolute great kid with an unreal work ethic.

CHARACTER issues deal with players who are lazy, who are uncoachable, who think their **** doesn't stink, who don't play with heart, etc.

none of them fit floyd, whatsoever.

Joe Buscaglia has been talking with Nix and Gailey, and his impression is they will take Cordy Glenn at 10th overall to play LT. Take that FWIW.

Cordy Glenn isn't even rated very high. If Buffalo doesn't take him he will still be available in the 2nd round. He's not 1st round material. Analysts say he won't make it as a left tackle and will have to move to guard or right tackle. If you draft this clown and move him to guard, why wouldn't you just draft Dave DeCastro who draftniks are saying is the best guard prospect in 10 years. They think DeCastro will be a perennial pro bowler in the NFL.

But with Buffalo's reputation of BLOWN 1st round picks, I wouldn't doubt those numbnuts draft Glenn. The entire front office and their scouts should all be fired. They are about as usefull as two teats on bull.

Cordy Glenn isn't even rated very high. If Buffalo doesn't take him he will still be available in the 2nd round. He's not 1st round material. Analysts say he won't make it as a left tackle and will have to move to guard or right tackle. If you draft this clown and move him to guard, why wouldn't you just draft Dave DeCastro who draftniks are saying is the best guard prospect in 10 years. They think DeCastro will be a perennial pro bowler in the NFL.

But with Buffalo's reputation of BLOWN 1st round picks, I wouldn't doubt those numbnuts draft Glenn. The entire front office and their scouts should all be fired. They are about as usefull as two teats on bull.

You are out of your damn mind......Cordy Glenn available in the 2nd. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING

You dont draft DeCastro because Buddy knows you can take OT's and turn them into Guards if they dont work out at OT.....simple as that.

I hope Buddy Nix feels Cordy Glenn is the right pick at number 10.......

Buddy knows best... it is a position that has to be filled with the best we can get...

Glenn has a lot of upside to his talents... and he sure is big with enough athletic ability to get the job done. Glenn may be a bit of a project at first however, but we also have Hairston to help out... Bills still another OT later in the draft with upside in addition ..... Buddy Nix will give us a good draft......

Cordy Glenn isn't even rated very high. If Buffalo doesn't take him he will still be available in the 2nd round. He's not 1st round material. Analysts say he won't make it as a left tackle and will have to move to guard or right tackle.

Your draft guides were likely published a few months ago, I'm thinking... :oops:

kirkpatrick is an nfl safety. Yes he does well in zone and can tackle but he's awful in man and could never be left on an island... pass

Actually, Dre played man at Bama and also learned zone so he can play in either system, and would be a great pickup. That being said I wouldn't mind if we went WR/CB or CB/WR with our first two picks.

Thoughts?

First off, love the name.

Second, I have my doubts about whether or not Kirkpatrick would be the pick. I think Buddy will be turned off by the marijuana issue (even though the charges were dropped), and I also think there are more talented corners like Gilmore available.

Your logic is well drawn out though...good stuff.

never seen something get so ridiculously overblown like the "mike floyd character issues".

by all accounts he's an absolute great kid with an unreal work ethic.

CHARACTER issues deal with players who are lazy, who are uncoachable, who think their **** doesn't stink, who don't play with heart, etc.

none of them fit floyd, whatsoever.

Wouldn't you count decision making as a character trait? Athletes know that they're going to be more closely scrutinized than average college students, so if they get themselves into trouble in spite of knowing that, it shows poor decision making. Plus, it's not like it was one isolated incident, he had multiple alcohol-related offenses. Now, if he's cleaned up his act, and the FO is convinced of that, that's fine, but it's not a simple "gloss over" as you seem to make it here.

There is no way Glenn will be available in the 2nd round...

I dont think Floyd has character issues... I think he drank as a college kid and got caught....Anyone else ever get caught drinking in college? :doh:

Yes, but many of us (a) weren't planning on playing in the NFL (which is much higher-profile than someone studying to be, say, a communications major, and thus should expect to be under the microscope), and (b) were wise enough not to get behind the wheel of a car when we drank.

Again, if the FO is comfortable that he cleaned up his act, then I'm fine with it, but enough of the simple dismissal. This guy is going to be getting paid millions of dollars, and some NFL GM is going to be answering for picking the guy if he has discipline issues at the NFL level. It's perfectly okay to discuss that aspect of the decision.

Joe Buscaglia has been talking with Nix and Gailey, and his impression is they will take Cordy Glenn at 10th overall to play LT. Take that FWIW.

i subscribe to BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER.....and at #10 Glenn is not it.

if the bills do like Glenn....it won't be at #10......look for them to trade down a few spots and then pick him.

IMO...the Best available player at #10 will be DeCastro.....not saying the bills will pick him...just sayin he will likely be the BAP.

Glenn is a top 15 pick and rising. He only played his senior year at left OT and naturally had a rough start but showed continued improvement. He could end up being a very good left tackle and if not, a probowl guard. I could easily see him going to the Bills at 10.