Where does Fitzpatrick Rank?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's 3 pages in this thread, and i'm sure 25 other pages worth of posts scattered across this board on this topic, so nothing i'm going to say is going to be ground breaking.

but.

these rankings are meaningless, not for the reasons that so typically spring to mind (which are all true,) but for the simple matter that they can change on a whim. for instance, if the bills make the playoffs, lose in the conference championship game, or even *gasp* win the super bowl, where does fitz rank then?

im assuming higher than 24.

but clearly for that to happen, so much more needs to fall into place - such as a good to great defense, a good to great offensive line, a favorable schedule, some fortuitous bounces of the ball, and less injuries than the buffalo bills typically accrue - ALL THINGS THAT RYAN FITZPATRICK CAN NOT CONTROL.

now, if you were to take the 32 starting qbs in the NFL, throw in a few backups, line them up at a combine, and have a draft, (career statistics and accomplishments aside) would fitzy really go 24th? IDK. i find that hard to believe. i think his smarts, ability to read defense, and qualities as a leader outweigh mitigating factors like..

the "long ball."

because, according to my eyes

that's ryan fitzpatrick throwing a FREAKING frozen rope of a football FIFTY yards in the air, dead on target into stev13s hands, in a pressure packed instant, against the best team in the conference.

so, truthfully, i just shake my head when people say fitz can't throw long. i would be curious if the 23 quarterbacks listed above him could make THAT throw in THAT situation.

there's 3 pages in this thread, and i'm sure 25 other pages worth of posts scattered across this board on this topic, so nothing i'm going to say is going to be ground breaking.

but.

these rankings are meaningless, not for the reasons that so typically spring to mind (which are all true,) but for the simple matter that they can change on a whim. for instance, if the bills make the playoffs, lose in the conference championship game, or even *gasp* win the super bowl, where does fitz rank then?

im assuming higher than 24.

but clearly for that to happen, so much more needs to fall into place - such as a good to great defense, a good to great offensive line, a favorable schedule, some fortuitous bounces of the ball, and less injuries than the buffalo bills typically accrue - ALL THINGS THAT RYAN FITZPATRICK CAN NOT CONTROL.

now, if you were to take the 32 starting qbs in the NFL, throw in a few backups, line them up at a combine, and have a draft, (career statistics and accomplishments aside) would fitzy really go 24th? IDK. i find that hard to believe. i think his smarts, ability to read defense, and qualities as a leader outweigh mitigating factors like..

the "long ball."

because, according to my eyes

youtube.com/watch?v=34aat0isP0I&feature=fvst

that's ryan fitzpatrick throwing a FREAKING frozen rope of a football FIFTY yards in the air, dead on target into stev13s hands, in a pressure packed instant, against the best team in the conference.

so, truthfully, i just shake my head when people say fitz can't throw long. i would be curious if the 23 quarterbacks listed above him could make THAT throw in THAT situation.

So one throw in 2 years absolves him of his inaccuracies and INT problems? Let's let this play from 2 years ago go finally. If there was a qb draft from scratch do you think another team would actually draft fitzpatrick? interesting thought.

Over the first seven games (including the Washington game where he got injured), Fitz completed 68.7% of his passes, at a 7.7ypa. Had 14TD 7int and a QBR of 98.4.

If that is what healthy starter Fitzpatrick produces, protect the man and the Bills will be fine.

Againts two super bowl teams, a playoff team and a dream team to boot

So one throw in 2 years absolves him of his inaccuracies and INT problems? Let's let this play from 2 years ago go finally. If there was a qb draft from scratch do you think another team would actually draft fitzpatrick? interesting thought.

yes. 1 throw in 2 years does absolutely absolve him of the criticism that he "CANT throw deep."

CANT is a matter of ability.

HASNT HAD SUCCESS THROWING DEEP is a matter of any number of contingent factors: offensive line, quality of receiving corps, 11 men understanding the playbook, gameplanning, etc. etc. etc.

put another way: Chad Pennington CANT throw deep.

Tim Tebow CANT throw deep.

those are 2 people who are limited by injury and physical ability/mechanics that CAN NOT make the throw that ryan fitzpatrick made in that video.

I know it's rehashing an old video, but it's an important distinction.

and i feel my original point still stands: if ryan fitzpatrick leads this MUCH improved bills squad to the playoffs and beyond - is he still the 24th best quarterback in the league?

Once I saw Eli as #1, i didnt bother reading anymore. This list is crazy bad, that being said Fitz is a 15-20 ranked QB. Let's be honest, we can win with him but he is mediocre

Thought the same exact thing when i saw eli at 1, are you kidding me? I don't care how bad I get it for saying this but I truly believe fitz is as good if not better than Eli. Look at

the weapons Eli has compared to fitz. I think fitz is also

better than alex smith, Joe flacco, and Josh Freeman not

to mention all those unproven rookies. This list is absurd and the writer should be jobless for putting Eli and big Ben ahead of brees and Rodgers.

Edited by DocLawless

Doesn't concern me at all.

Guy has only had one full season as a starter. And that was a lockout year, and he had a serious injury for the second half.

I personally need to see one more year, with better pass protection, better receiving talent and a better defense, before I make any judgment that he's elite, great, mediocre or bad.

From what I've seen in the first half of last season, I think he has the potential to be great.

No one has said he's the greatest or a monster, btw. Most people think he's a mediocre talent. Could be true, but one year isn't an adequate test.

This is 1of the best posts that I've read on here in long time.

You know what? Solid D and running game makes average QBs look great. Fitz is middle of the pack. But he's got leadership skills and his teammates like him.

PTR

That's well said. He is what he is - and Gailey made what he is into something that can be won with. If Fitz is on 25 other teams, maybe more than that, he might never have had the success he's had here in the last year plus. AND, that isn't even all that complete SUCCESS - it's success compared to what Buffalo has had recently. So, yeah, Fitz works out - when the line is holding up okay, when the recieving corps is healthy, when Gailey has a good game plan - when all those things are working, Fitz can win the Bills some games.

But, he is not a QB that will win games AGAINST the odds. He is not a QB that is talented enough to OVERCOME the hurt WR's, the poor O-line. If Gailey can do with Fitz what he's done, then the sky is the limit with a QB with, say, Aaron Rodger's abilities, or Cam Newton's.

Bills fans are just glad a QB can win here, and they're glad they can relate to an underdog who can overcome some shortcomings. But - I, for one, would rather we shoot for greatness and land a truly elite QB than settle for an underdog with a big heart and big problems with accuracy/consistency.

His contract reflects what the Bills really think of him - it pays him good when he's playing good, but it frees them up to let him go when they can find a better QB. Unlike the true Franchise QB's - Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Rivers - guys who hold the cards. We will be much, much better when we finally get another QB that is arguably a top QB.

That's well said. He is what he is - and Gailey made what he is into something that can be won with. If Fitz is on 25 other teams, maybe more than that, he might never have had the success he's had here in the last year plus. AND, that isn't even all that complete SUCCESS - it's success compared to what Buffalo has had recently. So, yeah, Fitz works out - when the line is holding up okay, when the recieving corps is healthy, when Gailey has a good game plan - when all those things are working, Fitz can win the Bills some games.

But, he is not a QB that will win games AGAINST the odds. He is not a QB that is talented enough to OVERCOME the hurt WR's, the poor O-line. If Gailey can do with Fitz what he's done, then the sky is the limit with a QB with, say, Aaron Rodger's abilities, or Cam Newton's.

Bills fans are just glad a QB can win here, and they're glad they can relate to an underdog who can overcome some shortcomings. But - I, for one, would rather we shoot for greatness and land a truly elite QB than settle for an underdog with a big heart and big problems with accuracy/consistency.

His contract reflects what the Bills really think of him - it pays him good when he's playing good, but it frees them up to let him go when they can find a better QB. Unlike the true Franchise QB's - Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Rivers - guys who hold the cards. We will be much, much better when we finally get another QB that is arguably a top QB.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Did Fitz not lead us from behind against OAK and NE this year? And he led comebacks against the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals and Chiefs in 2010. Fitz showed me the cool, calm demeanor of a QB in charge. You have it backward. Fitz is EXACTLY the QB I want when we are playing from behind. He may have middling measurables but he has the heart of a winner.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You would rather have the Raiders, Rams or Bears WR corps over ours? I think its a bit of a stretch to say that Fitz would be a top QB if his WRs were better.. Good quarterbacks make receivers better (see Brady, Brees, Manning)

I happen to think raiders and bears definitely have better wr's and rams probably do too. Bills have slowest least talented wr corp in league IMO. They try hard and have good character, but likely none would even be in the nfl if not for the bills.

Another point is lee Evans was concensus best wr for years and didn't even crack top 3 on another team. He would start for buffalo still, but I don't know where else....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I strongly disagree with that statement. Did Fitz not lead us from behind against OAK and NE this year? And he led comebacks against the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals and Chiefs in 2010. Fitz showed me the cool, calm demeanor of a QB in charge. You have it backward. Fitz is EXACTLY the QB I want when we are playing from behind. He may have middling measurables but he has the heart of a winner.

PTR

Which is worth the contract he received... Heart or Talent?

The Walker Article[/url]33729865' post='2431776']

I guess they can't rank him higher based on our record last year, but if you read why espn's james Walker picks the Bills as his sleeper next year, then there is reason enough to rank him higher.

I think Fitz is closer to top 10 than he is to the bottom ten. 15 sounds about right - trending upward. We'll see. If Fitz has a bad year this year, look for Buddy & Chan to really look for a new alternative.

The Walker Article

I hope you guys are right... Fitz has thrown INTs for his whole career and thats why he is rated so poorly

Yeah hes had alot of interceptions but alot of them were on the receivers and for having to throw so much because of an awful defense!

There are valid criticisms to be made with the list, but it's a list for the 2012 season, so the rookies and first time starters do belong there because they are the presumptive starters for their respective teams.

I understand your point, but at that point rankings are just vaporware, based on the likes and hopes of the writer and not worth the powder it'd take to blow it to h***

Reminds me of the joke about the woman who gets married for the fourth time and tells her husband to be gentle with her on her wedding night 'cuz she's virgin.