The Bell has gonged: Reiff is our guy

Just like bulaga a few yrs back, Reiff will not be the pick. Why, because you dont take Right tackles and guards in the top 10.

I agree. Nix will go best player available and nobody knows how picks 1-9 will fall and who will be there at 10 so predicting it is futile. If nobody they like is there and they have an offer from someone to trade down (not likely but a small chance for it) then they'll do it. I'm hoping the vikes go cornerback and start a chain reaction. We'll see.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding what you're implying but I was not upset with the Spiller pick and I don't like Reiff.

Does that support your theory?

What is your theory?

Pretty simple theory, if at one time you disagreed with ANY pick that turned out ok then you can no longer criticize ANY pick ever again.

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside...I honestly don't think there is any way Reiff could be a better NFL LT than Hairston...Especially as a Rookie, and especially after the experience Hairston got last Season...Just my opinion though... B-)

I've always assumed that Buddy was not of the opinion that Hairston was our LT and consequently thought we'd go OT at 10 because there is a far greater drop off in OTs than there is at WR and CB. However, I decided to go back and re-read some of the articles in which Hairston was discussed. I've now had an epiphany and think Hairston is our LT (for now). Check out some of the evidence:

"Hairston performed admirably early, but when he was pressed back into starting duty after missing three games he was eventually replaced by Bell once he was healthy again. In the eyes of Nix, Hairston just hasn’t arrived as an NFL player yet...'Chris Hairston I think can be a really good left tackle,' Nix said. 'He’s a rookie. It’s going to take him a little bit. He got some good experience this year.'"

This article seals the deal for me, making a compelling point for Hairston and pointing out Buddy's apparent tendencies for putting together OLs (can't believe I missed this article!): http://mobile.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/23/2896842/buffalo-bills-riley-reiff-jonathan-martin-2012-nfl-draft

Welcome to Buffalo Michael Floyd (or if he's drafted before we pick, Stephon Gilmore). Now I won't have to defend a pick that didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy!!!

I wonder how many people who don't like Reiff were upset when Spiller was picked two years ago?

Yep because Spiller was an explosive force that wreaked havoc on opposing defenses on the way to the Super Bowl which he was MVP of. The pick was totally validated by all of his major success and Pro Bowl appearances.

For the love of Marv, how many times do I have to say it.... RILEY REIFF IS A RIGHT TACKLE!

He played Right Tackle in college; never Left. He has short arms. He is a Bryan Bulaga clone. Bryan Bulaga played Right Tackle in college for Iowa and still plays Right Tackle in the pros. We do not need a Right Tackle. We need a left tackle.

Collegiate Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle and sometimes Guard. But a collegiate Right Tackle rarely (if ever) upgrades to Left Tackle in the pros.

Seriously people, please stop looking at who most have projected as the next best Tackle after Matt Kallil without doing the homework as to whether or not the player is an actual fit.

....... Tackle.

You might want to get your facts straight b4 you start farting our of your mouth. Riley Reiff has started the last 2 season at iowa as a left tackle. Just b/c NFL Network and ESPN says he as shorts arms he cannot be a LT. Get your head out of your ass. Yes long arms may help but its about the determination to kick the other players ass on the other side and he has that. I saw 6 games from him last year and he dominated. Tackles and guards out of iowa are a sure thing...and at 10 thats what you want. reiff will be a starter in the NFL for years to come.

You might want to get your facts straight b4 you start farting our of your mouth. Riley Reiff has started the last 2 season at iowa as a left tackle. Just b/c NFL Network and ESPN says he as shorts arms he cannot be a LT. Get your head out of your ass. Yes long arms may help but its about the determination to kick the other players ass on the other side and he has that. I saw 6 games from him last year and he dominated. Tackles and guards out of iowa are a sure thing...and at 10 thats what you want. reiff will be a starter in the NFL for years to come.

100 % Agree

So much misinformation and conflicting views out there about Reiff. What I will say is that over the last couple of years, the Bills have done a pretty job finding decent linemen. I trust the Bills talent evaluators to make a good decision about whether or not to draft (or whomever) when the pick comes in at 10. I don't see Buddy reaching.

And I don't see it a reach to take Reiff at #10. Gilmore/Floyd would be reaches... Gilmore not so much.. he's a very smooth DB but Reiff a reach, IMO No way.He's better than Bell is now so we upgrade a vital position of major need. If he's 20th on Mike Mayock's board,,,, well don't have a pick until 41 and he won't be there then. I would much rather pick a solid day 1 starter and grab one of 15-20 wide receivers that really good chances of making an impact on this team later on in rounds 2 or 3. I'd take Criner in round 3 or Randle in round 2 plus get DeCastro or Reiff in round 1 over going for Floyd who may be better than many WR's this year...I'm not convinced... but the gap is very small. To grab Floyd and then be forced to take a lineman that may or may not ever be pro material later on is not the way to go for me. We'll see.

Give Me Reiff/DeCastro and Randle and you take Floyd and Bobby Massie or Nate Potter and I think my team is much more talented Day 1.

If we take DeCastro he starts Day 1.. If we take Reiff he starts Day 1 @ LT.. RT if you want to start Hairston to give Reiff a little time @ RT. Do we really have to worry abour Erik Pears feelings, He's a bench warmer that's had his few games so he can tell his grankids he started. We need to get playmakers not just guys,Reiff/DeCastro/Wood/Levitre are superior players where as Urbik and Pears are not what you need if you want a SUPERIOR line.

I guess we'll know what the brass thinks come the 26th. I'm hoping Floyd is gone so I won't be worrying about picking him and we get around to filling a major position of need with a SUPERIOR player. :thumbsup:

GO IRISH !!! :worthy: ---> :sick:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Seeing that our last two starting LTs were drafted in the 7th round. Why would we reach at our 1st pick to get one. We have shown that we can do just fine with later picks at this position.Go more impact player at this spot WR LB or corner.Just think if we pick a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd what they could do with .

I disagree wholeheartedly with the bolded statement.

Robert Gallery was the surest thing in the draft the year he came out and went #2 overall to the raiders. He couldn't play lt so they tried rt when he couldn't play there they bumped him to guard. He wasn't resigned moved on to the seahawks who cut him to save salary this year. Not exactly a sure thing.

Bryan Bulaga has fared much better on the right side. He was blocked from lt by chad clifton and has yet to play lt. He was drafted 23 overall and has performed well in his role.

Eric Steinbach was drafted in the second round and has been excellent at guard for his career. However he sat out all of last year with a back injury.

So the 3 player I listed were all big ten offensive lineman of the year players. The value of Bulaga and Steinbach is because the were much later than the 10th pick. If either were taken there it would have been a stretch. However the Bills are looking for a LT! Which Iowa guys have yet to prove being capable of playing, and are certainly not the best value or a sure thing as you state.

LT is never the BPA in the first round when you are picking in the top 10. This team has proven for several years that you can find an adequate LT outside of the 1st round. Bell was a nobody who guys here predicted would have gone to the Pro Bowl this year, and are mourning th efact that we didn't re-sign him. Peters was an TE who they stuck in at tackle.

It would be a shame not to pick a player who will not have an immediate impact. That's probably going to be WR, or even TE.

It must be the benadryl and sudafed but I'm still not following.

Reiff hasn't been drafted yet.

What am I missing?

I'm guessing his point is reiff=bulaga. If you wouldn't want reiff this year why were you upset about spiller over bulaga, but argue for someone like a WR or CB over reiff today.

But that's a guess

LT is never the BPA in the first round when you are picking in the top 10. This team has proven for several years that you can find an adequate LT outside of the 1st round. Bell was a nobody who guys here predicted would have gone to the Pro Bowl this year, and are mourning th efact that we didn't re-sign him. Peters was an TE who they stuck in at tackle.

It would be a shame not to pick a player who will not have an immediate impact. That's probably going to be WR, or even TE.

Well, I don't know about a TE but you're certainly right about where LTs can be had. There's no denying this with the Bill's drafting of the position over the years. Furthermore, it speaks volumes in regards to how Buddy and Co. value the position. By their estimation, taking Hairston in the 4th was very high. Personally, I like the approach as long as they do draft for depth and competition at the position.

Pretty simple theory, if at one time you disagreed with ANY pick that turned out ok then you can no longer criticize ANY pick ever again.

:huh:

And you're saying the Bills are better off with Spiller than they would be had they kept Lynch and Drafted say...Jason Pierre-Paul for one example? B-)