Bob Matthews to Retire - Roche D&C

todd

Yeah, I remember his call-in show on WHAM or whatever in the early 90s. I used to listen and call in when I was just a kid, like 12-13. Much of his work as long as I can remember now has seemed pretty superficial and light.

Is Fred Smerlas going with him?

TFG they are putting thi horse out to pasture, he's been put of touch for 20 years. Pitoniak would be a nice replacement but I'm not sure those wounds can mended.

Yeah, I remember his call-in show on WHAM or whatever in the early 90s. I used to listen and call in when I was just a kid, like 12-13. Much of his work as long as I can remember now has seemed pretty superficial and light.

He was doing that at least as far back as the mid to late 80s, cause I remember my buddy and I listening to his show and calling in a few times. I haven't paid as much attention to him over the last few years, but based on the stuff of his I've seen others post on TBD, it's time for Bob to call it a career. I wish the guy well.

Yeah, I have the same memories.

I remember listening to him for hours the day that Magic Johnson announced he had AIDS.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120415/SPORTS0101/304150011

"A Buffalo Bills unofficial web site noted that it was glad I’m gone because now a person who actually knows something about the Bills will take my place."

Its funny that he said that and then followed up by mentioning Maiorana. I don't think there are two sports columnists farther apart in talent and being "out of touch" than Matthews and Maiorana the last few years.

Farewell, senile old man

Where will I go to read about the Buffalo Braves and Rochester Royals??

Good Bye Bob.

I'd like to see him replaced with someone who has solid football opinions based on expertise & knowledge and does solid research. You know, like some of the people who were fired from the D&C a few years ago.

Bob Matthews takes retirement package

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120415/SPORTS0101/304150011

"A Buffalo Bills unofficial web site noted that it was glad I’m gone because now a person who actually knows something about the Bills will take my place."

Classy move calling out those who don't like his work. This is a guy who would never cover anything. Just form his opinions from a distance. Lazy journalism.

PTR

I don't mind Bob's radio show and I listen on Wednesdays only so I can hear what Fred will say next about Obama.. LOL

Haven't subscribed to the D&C for over a decade so I don't read his column, but when I did I always thought he seemed to read a few other sports writers opinions and then form one of his own based on others research. Always seemed lazy to me. Anyway, he, I believe, is a nice enough guy personally, and his radio show still has a large listening audience. I love John the Optamist, one of his regulars.. I think he wants to Bills to do well, but some many years of losing has tainted his soul.

I wish him well!

Tim-

I don't mind Bob's radio show and I listen on Wednesdays only so I can hear what Fred will say next about Obama.. LOL

Haven't subscribed to the D&C for over a decade so I don't read his column, but when I did I always thought he seemed to read a few other sports writers opinions and then form one of his own based on others research. Always seemed lazy to me. Anyway, he, I believe, is a nice enough guy personally, and his radio show still has a large listening audience. I love John the Optamist, one of his regulars.. I think he wants to Bills to do well, but some many years of losing has tainted his soul.

I wish him well!

Tim-

Bob was very far from perfect , but most of his colums were quick and fun to read . So lets ease up with the key board beer Muscles ! And Go Bills Jerry O. The thirty plus year fan.

Bob's lucky to be getting out at the right time.

As the era of print edition newspapers ebbs, his timing is perfect for an exit.

Bob was Rochester's real-life version of Oscar Matteson and now he can spend his retirement at the track on lazy summer days.

Everyone should be so lucky to have worked his entire life in his hometown, for one employer, doing a job he loved to do, and retiring on his own terms.

Bob was very far from perfect , but most of his colums were quick and fun to read . So lets ease up with the key board beer Muscles ! And Go Bills Jerry O. The thirty plus year fan.

Plus one--despite some of his foibles, I enjoyed reading his columns, perhaps as a tie to both my youth and hometown, both long since gone. He also seemed like a good guy, so I, too, wish him well in his retirement....