Brock Osweiler seemed to have good pro day

Apparently Brock has looked good. Has a meeting set up with the Bills, one of the 30.

Burfict also ran a lot better, apparently 4.79 or 4.8. And weighed 245. Both are much better numbers for him but still not great. He's fallen a ton but that should help him a little. He probably will go in the 4th or 5th now, at least IMO.

https://twitter.com/#!/DougHaller

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Maybe it is just me, I don't get the fascination or the reasoning behind grabbing a non-first round QB. The chances of him developing into anything isn't that great, yes I know a Brady or Montana, but that is 2 QBs over like a 25 yr span. I honestly would rather grab a backup in FA and be done with it. Developing a non-first round QB, you hopefully end up with a Fitz. Your chances in finding a gem or solid player are greater for any other position than QB...

If you are gonna grab a QB, it should be by the mid-first round...

jmo

I have watched a lot of film on this guy the past few weeks, and I like what I saw. The offense he ran at ASU is very similar, in my opinion, to what Chan does here in Buffalo. He looks very raw, since he is coming out as a Junior, but I think the sky is the limit for this guy. Sitting behind Fitz for a couple of seasons and working with David Lee may be exactly what he needs to master his craft. Just wanted to see what everyone else's opinion of him is. He also held his own pro day this morning, after missing his school's initial pro day and the combine with a sprain in his foot. Some of the so-called experts see him jumping into the second round, with McShay (genius, I know) even predicting Buffalo to take him at 41. Opinions?

Apparently, yeah he did Kelly

Gil Brandt of NFL.com say's he should be a first rounder now

Edit: This is the type of player that scares the hell out of me. All of a sudden due to a pro day he moves into the first round after being pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder. Now all the mocks will have him in there and we will end up with the draft the kid based solely on this threads on here. You hope that the Bills have their board pretty much set and a good pro day or combine doesn't move the up/down that much.

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

Maybe it is just me, I don't get the fascination or the reasoning behind grabbing a non-first round QB. The chances of him developing into anything isn't that great, yes I know a Brady or Montana, but that is 2 QBs over like a 25 yr span. I honestly would rather grab a backup in FA and be done with it. Developing a non-first round QB, you hopefully end up with a Fitz. Your chances in finding a gem or solid player are greater for any other position than QB...

jmo

Yeah, I've got to go with you on this and even say skip the mid-first round. I still remember JP Lossman. If a diamond in the rough shows up as a backup and you aren't building your team on the pass game I'm all for promotion from backup.

I have watched a lot of film on this guy the past few weeks, and I like what I saw. The offense he ran at ASU is very similar, in my opinion, to what Chan does here in Buffalo. He looks very raw, since he is coming out as a Junior, but I think the sky is the limit for this guy. Sitting behind Fitz for a couple of seasons and working with David Lee may be exactly what he needs to master his craft. Just wanted to see what everyone else's opinion of him is. He also held his own pro day this morning, after missing his school's initial pro day and the combine with a sprain in his foot. Some of the so-called experts see him jumping into the second round, with McShay (genius, I know) even predicting Buffalo to take him at 41. Opinions?

With no chance of getting Luck, RG3 and probably Tannehill...Osweiler is the only QB I would want the Bills to go after in the 3rd or even 2nd round. If not I'd prefer Wilson late (maybe second 4th or 5th round)

What is the fascination with Burfict? I just don't get it.

He's polarizing, that's for sure. I was all over him myself until this year, his junior year. As a freshman, he looked like he was going to be a stud. He was the highest ranked player ever to sign at ASU. As a sophomore he was an absolute terror, but a loose cannon. He did not play slow at all, he was a killer. After awhile, he started getting penalties very similar to, if you follow the Sabres, Kaleta started getting. Half of them were not penalties and if anyone else did what he did, they wouldn't have been called. Granted, the other half were stupid penalties, almost always for a late hit. But he was very good, and even counting all of that, he was one of the top rated LBers in the nation.

This year, he never got going, had problems with the coaches, and refs, and looked lazy and slow. So no one wants to touch him, especially early. If he gets his **** together, I still think he could be a great pro. He's definitely fast enough to play LB regardless of his 4.79 40 time. He's ferocious and abuses ball-carriers. That said, even people that watched him before this season didn't think he was as good as I did (and a ton of other people). He was Sporting News first team All American.

I would love to draft him in the 6th or 7th round and just see if he can turn his life and game around, he has a ton of talent.

jmo

Ditto.

He's polarizing, that's for sure. I was all over him myself until this year, his junior year. As a freshman, he looked like he was going to be a stud. He was the highest ranked player ever to sign at ASU. As a sophomore he was an absolute terror, but a loose cannon. He did not play slow at all, he was a killer. After awhile, he started getting penalties very similar to, if you follow the Sabres, Kaleta started getting. Half of them were not penalties and if anyone else did what he did, they wouldn't have been called. Granted, the other half were stupid penalties, almost always for a late hit. But he was very good, and even counting all of that, he was one of the top rated LBers in the nation.

This year, he never got going, had problems with the coaches, and refs, and looked lazy and slow. So no one wants to touch him, especially early. If he gets his **** together, I still think he could be a great pro. He's definitely fast enough to play LB regardless of his 4.79 40 time. He's ferocious and abuses ball-carriers. That said, even people that watched him before this season didn't think he was as good as I did (and a ton of other people). He was Sporting News first team All American.

I would love to draft him in the 6th or 7th round and just see if he can turn his life and game around, he has a ton of talent.

He sounds like a guy the Ravens will grab in the third or fourth. And to me it could be a win win. If Ray Lewis can't get the kids head right, no one could. Say what you want about Lewis, but he has a knack for helping younger guys 'grow up' in the league. He is like having a player/coach.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

jmo

You know teams need backup QBs too right?

He sounds like a guy the Ravens will grab in the third or fourth. And to me it could be a win win. If Ray Lewis can't get the kids head right, no one could. Say what you want about Lewis, but he has a knack for helping younger guys 'grow up' in the league. He is like having a player/coach.

I think perhaps Dearus and/or Williams could help him. I'd like to take him with a later round pick.

I did say grab a backup in FA...Other teams will always draft a guy develop him a bit and he will hit the market (see Fitz, Kyle Orton, etc), this is what happens to first round flops anyways (Rex Grossman). I think it is a waste of a pick after the mid-first round. QBs are so over scouted and over analyzed, it is very rare to have a franchise guy fall below pick 20; whereas, good players in all other positions can be found littered throughout every round of the draft.

I stand by what I said, I just don't see the attraction to grabbing a project QB who will 99% of the time end up being a backup or 3rd stringer. Why would you waste a late 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th round pick on a back up QB? Kyle Williams was a 5th round pick, would you rather have him or a Trent Edwards? SJ was a 7th round pick, would you rather have him of Levi Brown? I bet if we go back to the draft we took Edwards in, we would find a bunch of other players who are playing at a high level and starting for their teams. You can do this for any QB drafted after the first round. (there will be exceptions, but not many at all; especially when you compare it to the talent in any other position)

All I am saying is that you tend to have better luck with finding hidden gems or decent players who start in the later rounds than you do a QB who can become more than a back up. A Brady or Montana happened like twice in 25 years...and regardless what anyone says it was pure luck.

Apparently, yeah he did Kelly

Gil Brandt of NFL.com say's he should be a first rounder now

Edit: This is the type of player that scares the hell out of me. All of a sudden due to a pro day he moves into the first round after being pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder. Now all the mocks will have him in there and we will end up with the draft the kid based solely on this threads on here. You hope that the Bills have their board pretty much set and a good pro day or combine doesn't move the up/down that much.

To tell the whole story: he's also being ripped to shreds by everyone for that assessment, and I've even heard hints that he must have connections to the player/agent to be making such an absurd push for him.

Agree. Watched a bunch of film on it just based on all the hoopla on here and I did not see anything there

A couple big hits and jawing with players and suddenly hes an intense emotional leader that sets the tone for the whole defense. Duh. Just ignore the rest of the film, I saw like a 2 minute highlight clip with like 6 plays repeated 4 times each and there's that one time he was pointing and yelling at the guy pre-snap. Penalties, heavy feet, poor form, and bad decision making only showed up in like 1-2 of the plays in my extensive YouTube scouting. Plus there was cool music- maybe we can have someone follow him around playing cool music to make him more exciting.

There are three separate kinds of back-ups in the NFL. Some of them can be two of those kinds, but they are fairly difficult to find. There are not a lot of great back-ups around the league, and even guys that do well at first, like, say, TJ Yates, may not be all that good.

Teams need a back-up that can come in mid-game and still have a good chance to win that game, or to come in and be a stopgap so your season is not lost if your starter goes down for a game or two.

Teams need a back-up that can be your starting QB for the entire season and still give you a chance if your starter goes down for the entire year.

Teams need a developmental QB prospect who is young that they can wait 1-3 years to see if he improves enough to become a solid back-up like the ones above or an eventual starter.

#1 and #2 above are not always the same guy and not the same thing. The Bills may or may not have either of them, depending on what you think of Thigpen. I think 90% of Bills fans think that Thigpen can't do either of those things. But I also think that Chan Gailey thinks Thigpen is a very solid option at both.

The Bills really don't have a #3 developmental guy either, depending on what they think of Brad Smith as a QB. Last year, Gailey said he was surprised at how good a thrower Smith was in practice, and the decided to drop Levi as their #3 and developmental guy to let Smith have that position and those (few) practice reps. With Smith having to play WR in all the practices, he missed out on half a year of playing QB in practice. Again, what fans think of him, and what my impression of what Gailey thinks of him from what I have heard Chan and Smith himself say, is mutually exclusive.

The Bills are clearly, however, looking to upgrade their back-up, self-evident by bringing in Cousins and Osweiler. Perhaps Gailey has lost some confidence in Thigpen after a year. I tend to doubt it. Perhaps they just decided that Smith was not a safe enough option as a developmental guy as they had hoped, because of Thigpen as well as Fitz's injury, so now they want a more conventional grooming QB to be #3 for a year and then #2 next year.

It's hard to even predict what they are thinking, and impossible to know. If I had to guess, I think they are strongly looking at drafting a QB prospect they can groom, but if other players they like at other positions are still available when guys like Cousins and Osweiler may be picked, they won't take the QB. And may not draft one til the 5-7th.

jmo

been saying this for years. spot on.

To tell the whole story: he's also being ripped to shreds by everyone for that assessment, and I've even heard hints that he must have connections to the player/agent to be making such an absurd push for him.

I just saw that as well. It just goes to show you that you need to take the rising and falling players draft stock with a grain of salt during the draft time. I still don't see how a pro day could make or break you. Watch the game tape and review your notes from teammates, coaches, etc; all you need to know is right there...