LA Stadium Deal Dead??

BRAWNDO

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These LA stadium plans never made any sense to begin with. There is no way a developer can spend over a billion on a stadium just to rent it 8 times a year to it's only regular tenant. They would have to have an ownership stake and access to the teams profits.

That wacko Ed Roski wanted the same thing. It should have been obviuous to everyone long ago (as it was to some of us here) that no team was going to cede any ownership shares to these clowns.

Exactly. I remember thinking and posting that the money doesn't make any sense. There is no way an NFL owner would do what AEG was proposing, and there was not enough money to go around to please AEG and an NFL team. The only way it made any sense was if AEG owned a team and got all the money from it, but that would cost them another billion, and they couldn't just relocate another team if that owner didn't want to sell it.

Exactly. I remember thinking and posting that the money doesn't make any sense. There is no way an NFL owner would do what AEG was proposing, and there was not enough money to go around to please AEG and an NFL team. The only way it made any sense was if AEG owned a team and got all the money from it, but that would cost them another billion, and they couldn't just relocate another team if that owner didn't want to sell it.

Dammit. I'm already on the list for seasons at Farmer's Field.

The sale of the Dodgers changes everything. First of all, the price paid will cause all other sports franchises to be revalued upwards. So what do you think AEG will now have to pay to get a franchise? I'd say at least a billion. And that has to get the attention of Ralph and his heirs, not to mention the Spanos family, whoever now owns the Raiders, the Rams owners who are anxious to move, etc.

Secondly, the only reason the congenitally incompetent Peter O'Malley sold the Dodgers was that the power brokers in LA blocked his efforts to build an NFL stadium on Dodger property. They tried for years to force the NFL to put a team in the Coliseum. However, the Coliseum is now "off the market" as USC has first right of refusal on permitting an NFL team to move there and has made it clear it won't. The NFL has cast longing eyes on the Dodger property for years and years. It meets all the league's key requirements. Now with the Guggenheim Group and its $126 billion and no doubt with serious leverage among the power brokers, the Dodger property is suddenly very much in the picture. In fact, the LA Times reported today that Walter, Johnson, et al, have already had at least one exploratory meeting with Goodell and others.

The sale of the Dodgers changes everything. First of all, the price paid will cause all other sports franchises to be revalued upwards. So what do you think AEG will now have to pay to get a franchise? I'd say at least a billion. And that has to get the attention of Ralph and his heirs, not to mention the Spanos family, whoever now owns the Raiders, the Rams owners who are anxious to move, etc.

Secondly, the only reason the congenitally incompetent Peter O'Malley sold the Dodgers was that the power brokers in LA blocked his efforts to build an NFL stadium on Dodger property. They tried for years to force the NFL to put a team in the Coliseum. However, the Coliseum is now "off the market" as USC has first right of refusal on permitting an NFL team to move there and has made it clear it won't. The NFL has cast longing eyes on the Dodger property for years and years. It meets all the league's key requirements. Now with the Guggenheim Group and its $126 billion and no doubt with serious leverage among the power brokers, the Dodger property is suddenly very much in the picture. In fact, the LA Times reported today that Walter, Johnson, et al, have already had at least one exploratory meeting with Goodell and others.

It's hard to say what the Dodger deal will mean. I was surprised to find out their original offer was 1.6 billion, which was the same as the other offers for the most part. It became 2.3 bil or so when they factored in and decided to play 500 million to pay off McCourt's debt, and pay another 150 million to fix roads around the stadium. The total was outrageous, but the amount for the club was still in line with the others.

Now McCourt may walk away with a billion dollars in profit, after he pays his divorce settlement and debt. Nice work.

It's hard to say what the Dodger deal will mean. I was surprised to find out their original offer was 1.6 billion, which was the same as the other offers for the most part. It became 2.3 bil or so when they factored in and decided to play 500 million to pay off McCourt's debt, and pay another 150 million to fix roads around the stadium. The total was outrageous, but the amount for the club was still in line with the others.

Now McCourt may walk away with a billion dollars in profit, after he pays his divorce settlement and debt. Nice work.

I agree. Unless this same group is willing to wildly overpay for an NFL franchise too, I don't think it changes other potential buyers' values of NFL teams.

I agree. Unless this same group is willing to wildly overpay for an NFL franchise too, I don't think it changes other potential buyers' values of NFL teams.

What made the inflated sell price of the Dodgers acceptable to the buyers is the prospective revenue take from two competing cable networks, Fox Sports and I believe Comcast. In addition, the new Dodger group is also considering (down the road) a Dodger network resembling the Yankees YES network.

As a prior poster pointed out additional costs were absorbed (buying the parking lots surrounding the stadium that McCourt owned) simply to get of rid the former rat owner of the Dodgers. The creepy McCourt bought the team for somewhere in the +$400 million range, put up a miniscule amount of his own money, used the franchise as his own personal piggybank and then sells it for $2 Billion. I guess being a scounderl can be rewarding?

Edited by JohnC

Why was Robert Kraft involved? Also, am I the only person wholly sick of his face?

Because he is evil and would not care if the Bills, or any team were moved to LA. He forgets that it was not too long ago that the prior owners of the Patriots were threatening to move the team.

Why was Robert Kraft involved? Also, am I the only person wholly sick of his face?

Any respect I had for Robert Kraft went out the window when he tried to use his wife's death as a publicity stunt/phony inspirational backstory for the Cheatriots super bowl run

Because he is evil and would not care if the Bills, or any team were moved to LA. He forgets that it was not too long ago that the prior owners of the Patriots were threatening to move the team.

Which is why I include him in the 'new guard' of owners like Jerruh Jones & L'il Dummy Snyder who are out for their own benefit/greed and couldn't care less about the league as a whole. When Jeff Saturday stood next to Kraft and praised him for helping to end the lockout, I wanted to puke. Say what you want about Ralph but he has always tried to better the NFL for all teams, not just his own. Kraft is a disingenuous douche.

The money only makes sense when local/state governments can be co-opted to subsidize the stadium at taxpayer's expense. Neither the City of Los Angeles nor the State of California have any money right now to subsidize anything, and won't for the forseeable future. You never know what deals billionaires and their consortiums may make but I doubt anyone is going to make a losing bet on the NFL in LA anytime soon.

No, because I am too. He gets treated like some genius because he is one of the lucky ones to have a great QB. You don't breed great QB's, you don't evaluate better and draft great one's, just sometimes you get one and sometimes you don't. He got one and now we have to look at his droopy dog face all the time.