Mocck Draft page

So we don't have to search several other posts...

Armchair GM's mock draft 2.0:

1.) Luke Keuchly, LB - BC; Tackling machine that can play all 3 LB positions in the 4-3, and play them all well.

alt. pick Stephen Hill, WR - Georgia Tech; May be a reach at 10, but I can't get over this kids physical tools (stop with the "lack of production" bs...he was in a Triple Option O and still averaged 29.2YPC)

2.) Rueben Randle, WR - LSU; This kid just gets better and better every day. Savvy route runner with great strength/size combo. Creates separation and has big play (YAC) potential all over him. Characterized as an extremely hard worker, on and off the field.

alt. pick Shea McClellin, OLB - Boise State; RELENTLESS...never stops and makes plays sideline to sideline

3.) Matt McCants, OT - UAB; Production, production, production...Started 7 games as a true freshman and played in 11 out of 12. Aside from the 2008 season (sat out because of academics) he's started every game @ LT and is considered one of the best offensive players ever to come out of UAB. Simply doesn't allow sacks.(Bench reps are a concern, but a good strength and conditioning program will fix hat)

4a.) Michael Egnew, TE - Mizzu; Tall, strong & sure handed receiving TE that can attack the seem and be a red zone threat. Plus he's got a step on most LB's in the NFL.

4b.) Josh Norman, CB - Coastal Carolina; Big South stand out that squashed any concerns with his ability to play with the big boys at the E/W Shrine game and Sr. Bowl. Opposing teams caught on and avoided throwing his way.

5a.) Jack Crawford, DE - Penn St; decent production, hard worker that makes all the hustle plays. Tall with long arms and has a knack of getting his hands up and in passing lanes. Will provide quality depth and most likely surpass the competition for rotational duty @ DE.

5b.) Coryell Judie, CB - Texas A&M; Late start in football, but has exceptional ball skills and savvy hands. Strong and athletic and has good closing ability. Attacks WR at the line and is a blitzing threat.

6.) Tank Carder, OLB - TCU; A LB named Tank...fitting, eh? Attacks gaps and closes well on the ball carrier. Blows up blockers and makes plays...plus, great story behind this kid, although may cause some concern due to the severe nature of past injuries, albeit many years ago.

7a.) Andrew Datko, OT -Florida St; Totally worth the risk if he falls this far after suffering a 2nd major shoulder injury. Prior to the injury, ha had a day 1 grade.

7b.) Dale Moss, WR - SD State; Although a HS Standout in Basketball and Football, he went to SD St. on a BBall scholarship and played only 1 year of football...but, it was a great year (61/949/6) and his pro day performance (4.38 40, 41.5" vert and a 6.32 short shuttle, that holds the record for fastest ever at any position) instantly put this kid on te radar. Rare size/speed combo @ 6'3" with explosive change of direction (see shuttle time). I hope this kid continues to fly under the radar, but someone is bound to find him...I hope it's the Bills.

Flame away...

I would love this draft but randle is flying up the boards I think he goes late first early second, also...egnew and Norman are great players but I think they will go in the third, maybe we get one(IMO hopefully Norman) but I don't know, buddy seems to know what he's doing and he has a plan so I'll probably be happy with any draft we put together

Well I've never done one so here it goes....First off I would try and resign D Bell on the cheap. I think he knows he won’t be going anywhere else. If he won’t sign, I bet later in the year or half way through camp we could sign a solid vet LT that gets cut from another team. This is a depth move as I think it will be Hairston’s job to lose.

ROUND 1 – D Decastro, G Stanford

- In the top ten I want to take the guy who has a legit shot at 10 straight pro bowls and the HOF. I don’t care what position it is, and that player is Decastro (if Kalil falls OK, but he won’t). Luckily for us we need to solidify the OL, and I do believe G is a need. Urbik and Rinehart are on one year RFA tenders, and Levitre’s deal is up next offseason -- our top 3 Gs are set to be free agents. Also, we only have two Ts on the roster (Hairston/Pears). Drafting a G allows Levitre to be the backup swing tackle, Urbik has also played T and could play on the right, and will be the primary backup at both G spots. DeCastro can play C if Wood struggles to come back from injury or is injured again. We now have great depth all along the OL, and could realistically sustain two major injuries along the OL without being hurt much, AND we get the BPA. Considering there is likely no value at other positions this is a no brainer, unless you dont believe G is an important position.

ROUND 2 – M Sanu, WR Rutgers

- I think Sanu is under rated in the draft, and I believe he is a player that will be more valuable to the Bills offense than other teams offenses. Chan relies on short quick passes, so WRs need to have good hands and be able to run after the catch for bigger gains. Sanu is a better runner than a lot of running backs in this draft, there is a highlight vid of him running the wild cat and you will get the idea, the dude can play. He also catches everything near him. He is faster than his 40 times too. With the strength of the WR class I could see Sanu falling out of the 1st and to our relatively early 2nd round pick.

ROUND 3 - T Carder, LB TCU

- This guy just makes plays, point blank, ArmChair GM had him going in the 6th, I dont know where he will go but I think he is great value here. He is a lot like Sheppard in a sense because he is always around the football, making up in smarts for what he may lack athletically. He has the size of an NFL LBer, and is very long, which I think will help him keep blockers off of him when he shifts outside for us, and he has the height to compete for balls with Gronk. Playing a lot of spread teams he has been forced to play a lot in space, although I don’t know how much he will be asked to do that at the next level. Looking at some online prospect rankings I was surprised to see him ranked behind so many others. I think he is a steal at this point, and judging by those rankings, he will be here.

ROUND 4 – R Wilson, QB Wisconsin

- This guy is a top 10 pick with a few inches of height. I think he is a far better player than Tannehill, but his height scares teams off. I personally don’t care as he played behind that Mammoth Wisconsin OL and shorter guys have had success in this league. I think he is the type of strong armed, smart, mobile QB Gailey would like and the perfect guy to develop as a backup. Just think of our running attack, with the All Pro Decastro leading the way, if teams had to worry about our QB booting right as Fred and Cj takeoff to the left? A mobile QB kills any type of backside pursuit, and the cut backs by Fred/Cj on those plays would rip defenses for 20 yarders routinely. This pick also allows us to ditch our current backup, and his salary.

ROUND 4b-7

- Too hard to predict who will be there and position really doesn’t matter at all, maybe a CB for depth as we have always had good luck with alte round CBs, BPA otherwise.

Edited by peterpan

Not a lot of people have mentioned Tommy Streeter, but I would like to see the Bills take him if he is available later in the draft.

I love watching football - any kind including high school football. As many know, the high school football in South Florida is among the best in the country. A few years back, Northwestern High School had one of the better teams in the country. At the time, every one of the recruiting analysts was raving about one of their wide receivers by the name of Aldarius Johnson. I wanted to check him out (as well as some of the other players that UM was recruiting). I watched four of their games including the state championship game that Northwestern was in. In each game, the guy who impressed me the most was Tommy Streeter. The kid had size, speed, and very good hands. He also fit the description of what Buddy has characterized as someone who is open when he is not open.

In any event, Streeter ended up going to Miami. He was a red shirt his freshman year and hardly played the next couple years until Al Golden and his staff came in and had a very good year this past year in Jedd Fisch's offense even though Jacory Harris was an average college QB at best. I am not saying that we should pick him in the first or second round given that he really only had one year when he played a lot albeit very well. Nevertheless, the kid seems to have all of the tools. He also ran a 4.4 at the combine. He is just under 6'5", 219 pounds, and benched 225 pounds 17 times. By comparison, Floyd (who a lot of people here like) is 6'3", 220 pounds, ran a 4.47, and benched 225 pounds 16 times.

I am not saying that the Bills should take Streeter in the first round (as some people have them taking Floyd with the 10th pick) or second round. All I am saying that, if the Bills address other needs early and do not get someone like Blackmon or Floyd in the first round, there certainly is value (such as Streeter) later in the draft. Streeter had 46 receptions, a 17.6 average, and 8 TDs this past year. Depending on how Buddy and Chan evaluate him, he could be a good pick in the fourth round or thereabouts. He is raw and will have to improve the precision of his routes, but has upside especially given where he is likely to be taken in the draft.

Just my two cents.

I have seen Streeter sparingly and was always pretty impressed. He always seemed to be three or four steps past his man flying downfield. His Combine numbers suprised me too.

I never really saw him compete for jump balls or go over the middle, because I didn't watch him much at all, he may have, idk. How complete is he? Could be a steal.

see sig

The only problem I have with yours is that the only way I see us trading would be down, not up. Also, the only way I see that happening is if Richardson falls to 10...not likely...and Cinci wants to jump up and grab him. They have the ammo to do so. Regardless of them signing "The Firm," Green Ellis, I can totally see them making a play for Richardson. Theat would instantly give them one hell of a 1-2 RB combo and make them a threat in their division. They started to put a few things together last year, and with a move like this, they would solidify themselves as a ligit contender. This is all for not, as I don't see a way that Richardson falls to 10...just sayn'.

alt. pick Stephen Hill, WR - Georgia Tech; May be a reach at 10, but I can't get over this kids physical tools (stop with the "lack of production" bs...he was in a Triple Option O and still averaged 29.2YPC)

Did you ever stop to think why the YPC was so high? When an offense like GT is 70% run game and 30% passing, when you do throw the ball the other team is surprised, allowing Hill to earn extra YPC.

I'm not knocking any of his "potential" or ability, but the facts are facts. He only caught 49 passes in his ENTIRE college career! How do you evaluate a guy like that and then say that you would take him #10 overall? Name one other wide receiver taken in the top 10 who had less than 50 career college catches.

My mock draft is as follows:

1.) LB Melvin Ingram

2.) TE Coby Fleener

3.) OT Mitchell Schwartz/Bobby Massie

4a.) CB Leonard Johnson

4b.) WR Jeff Fuller

5a.) QB Ryan Lindley

5b.) WR Tommy Streeter

6.) DT Akiem Hicks

7a.) WR Marquis Maze

7b.) LB Miles Burris

How do you evaluate a guy like that and then say that you would take him #10 overall? Name one other wide receiver taken in the top 10 who had less than 50 career college catches.

Ummmmm.. you watch every play he runs and you look to see his route running, his breaks, his speed, his separation, his ability to get open, his hands, his leaping ability, his ability to track the ball in the air, his fight for the ball, his understanding of defenses, the strength of his hands, his ability to find the seams, his willingness to go over the middle, his footwork, his ability on the sidelines, his knack for making a big play, his blocking, then talk to his coaches and the coaches that played against him, talk to him about his understanding of the game and defenses, his locker room presence, his knowledge of football and his want to be the best player, his work ethic, work him out with running routes and going for the ball when you bring him to Buffalo, check out the combine numbers and wonderlic, figure out the need for your team of a big strong WR who can get down the field and make a play once in awhile and a complement to the other 5-6 weapons (which is exactly what he is), figure out all the different views from various scouts looking at the same stuff and then compare that grade versus other players at his position who have had 200 more passes thrown to them against players at other positions.

Then you may have a pretty good guess.

People seem to like Marcus Easley here, myself included, and no one seems to worry about his college production, just his health. He caught 53 balls in his college career.

Ummmmm.. you watch every play he runs and you look to see his route running, his breaks, his speed, his separation, his ability to get open, his hands, his leaping ability, his ability to track the ball in the air, his fight for the ball, his understanding of defenses, the strength of his hands, his ability to find the seams, his willingness to go over the middle, his footwork, his ability on the sidelines, his knack for making a big play, his blocking, then talk to his coaches and the coaches that played against him, talk to him about his understanding of the game and defenses, his locker room presence, his knowledge of football and his want to be the best player, his work ethic, work him out with running routes and going for the ball when you bring him to Buffalo, check out the combine numbers and wonderlic, figure out the need for your team of a big strong WR who can get down the field and make a play once in awhile and a complement to the other 5-6 weapons (which is exactly what he is), figure out all the different views from various scouts looking at the same stuff and then compare that grade versus other players at his position who have had 200 more passes thrown to them against players at other positions.

People seem to like Marcus Easley here, myself included, and no one seems to worry about his college production, just his health. He caught 53 balls in his college career.

We're still talking about the number 10 overall selection though.

I actually like Stephen Hill, its just its crazy to think someone can catch under 50 passes in his career and be a thought for a top 10 draft spot.

1.) David DeCastro, OG - Stanford

2.) Rueben Randle, WR - LSU/Stephen Hill, WR - GT/Alshon Jeffery, WR - South Carolina

3.) Jamell Fleming, CB - Oklahoma

4a.) Michael Egnew, TE - Mizzu

4b.) DeQuan Menzie, CB - Alabama

5a.) Nate Potter, OT - Boise St. (Needs some NFL weight training, Reminds some people of Nate Soldier)

5b.) Nick Foles, QB - Arizona

6.) Tank Carder, OLB - TCU

7a.) Vontaze Burfict, ILB - Arizona St.(Hes a nut case, will fall to the 7th, Bills take a chance)

7b.) Blair Walsh, K - Georgia (We need a good kicker to take over for Lindell. Here he is.)

Round One: Luke Keuchly LB Boston College

(ALT: Johnathan Martin OT Stanford, Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina)

Round Two: Brock Osweiler QB ASU

(No ALT, don't think we pass this kid up. Great upside, and time to learn behind Fitz for a few seasons)

Round Three: Brandon Boykin CB UGA

Round Four(A): Orson Charles TE UGA

Round Four(B): Ty Hilton WR FIU

5-7, anything can happen.

I actually like Stephen Hill, its just its crazy to think someone can catch under 50 passes in his career and be a thought for a top 10 draft spot.

You may be right. IMO, it's just highly unlikely, not "crazy". I think Nix and the scouts and Gailey can get a very good read on Hill's NFL potential from all of the aforementioned things. I just don't think they are going to determine he is worth the #10 based on what they can determine though, not what they can't.

Like, for instance, a knock on him is that while he makes great catches, he doesn't always catch with his hands. That's a serious issue and could and should keep him out of the top 10 if true. Some people say he drops too many (which MAY be an issue, IMO a lot of great WR drop a lot of balls).

I am not predicting the Bills will take Hill, or any team is going to take him in the top 20, although I think he goes in the first round. But I do think, as you do not, that a good scout can get a very good read on his NFL potential despite his low number of balls caught.

So we don't have to search several other posts...

Armchair GM's mock draft 2.0:

1.) Luke Keuchly, LB - BC; Tackling machine that can play all 3 LB positions in the 4-3, and play them all well.

2.) Rueben Randle, WR - LSU; This kid just gets better and better every day. Savvy route runner with great strength/size combo. Creates separation and has big play (YAC) potential all over him. Characterized as an extremely hard worker, on and off the field.

alt. pick Shea McClellin, OLB - Boise State; RELENTLESS...never stops and makes plays sideline to sideline

3.) Matt McCants, OT - UAB; Production, production, production...Started 7 games as a true freshman and played in 11 out of 12. Aside from the 2008 season (sat out because of academics) he's started every game @ LT and is considered one of the best offensive players ever to come out of UAB. Simply doesn't allow sacks.(Bench reps are a concern, but a good strength and conditioning program will fix hat)

4a.) Michael Egnew, TE - Mizzu; Tall, strong & sure handed receiving TE that can attack the seem and be a red zone threat. Plus he's got a step on most LB's in the NFL.

4b.) Josh Norman, CB - Coastal Carolina; Big South stand out that squashed any concerns with his ability to play with the big boys at the E/W Shrine game and Sr. Bowl. Opposing teams caught on and avoided throwing his way.

5a.) Jack Crawford, DE - Penn St; decent production, hard worker that makes all the hustle plays. Tall with long arms and has a knack of getting his hands up and in passing lanes. Will provide quality depth and most likely surpass the competition for rotational duty @ DE.

5b.) Coryell Judie, CB - Texas A&M; Late start in football, but has exceptional ball skills and savvy hands. Strong and athletic and has good closing ability. Attacks WR at the line and is a blitzing threat.

6.) Tank Carder, OLB - TCU; A LB named Tank...fitting, eh? Attacks gaps and closes well on the ball carrier. Blows up blockers and makes plays...plus, great story behind this kid, although may cause some concern due to the severe nature of past injuries, albeit many years ago.

7a.) Andrew Datko, OT -Florida St; Totally worth the risk if he falls this far after suffering a 2nd major shoulder injury. Prior to the injury, ha had a day 1 grade.

7b.) Dale Moss, WR - SD State; Although a HS Standout in Basketball and Football, he went to SD St. on a BBall scholarship and played only 1 year of football...but, it was a great year (61/949/6) and his pro day performance (4.38 40, 41.5" vert and a 6.32 short shuttle, that holds the record for fastest ever at any position) instantly put this kid on te radar. Rare size/speed combo @ 6'3" with explosive change of direction (see shuttle time). I hope this kid continues to fly under the radar, but someone is bound to find him...I hope it's the Bills.

Flame away...

LOVE IT! Your first 2 are my first 2, although I'm not sure if Randle will be available in Rd. 2. I also like taking Datko, although I think he goes earlier. And I'd pass on Crawford from PSU.

Well I've never done one so here it goes....First off I would try and resign D Bell on the cheap. I think he knows he won’t be going anywhere else. If he won’t sign, I bet later in the year or half way through camp we could sign a solid vet LT that gets cut from another team. This is a depth move as I think it will be Hairston’s job to lose.

ROUND 1 – D Decastro, G Stanford

- In the top ten I want to take the guy who has a legit shot at 10 straight pro bowls and the HOF. I don’t care what position it is, and that player is Decastro (if Kalil falls OK, but he won’t). Luckily for us we need to solidify the OL, and I do believe G is a need. Urbik and Rinehart are on one year RFA tenders, and Levitre’s deal is up next offseason -- our top 3 Gs are set to be free agents. Also, we only have two Ts on the roster (Hairston/Pears). Drafting a G allows Levitre to be the backup swing tackle, Urbik has also played T and could play on the right, and will be the primary backup at both G spots. DeCastro can play C if Wood struggles to come back from injury or is injured again. We now have great depth all along the OL, and could realistically sustain two major injuries along the OL without being hurt much, AND we get the BPA. Considering there is likely no value at other positions this is a no brainer, unless you dont believe G is an important position.

ROUND 2 – M Sanu, WR Rutgers

- I think Sanu is under rated in the draft, and I believe he is a player that will be more valuable to the Bills offense than other teams offenses. Chan relies on short quick passes, so WRs need to have good hands and be able to run after the catch for bigger gains. Sanu is a better runner than a lot of running backs in this draft, there is a highlight vid of him running the wild cat and you will get the idea, the dude can play. He also catches everything near him. He is faster than his 40 times too. With the strength of the WR class I could see Sanu falling out of the 1st and to our relatively early 2nd round pick.

ROUND 3 - T Carder, LB TCU

- This guy just makes plays, point blank, ArmChair GM had him going in the 6th, I dont know where he will go but I think he is great value here. He is a lot like Sheppard in a sense because he is always around the football, making up in smarts for what he may lack athletically. He has the size of an NFL LBer, and is very long, which I think will help him keep blockers off of him when he shifts outside for us, and he has the height to compete for balls with Gronk. Playing a lot of spread teams he has been forced to play a lot in space, although I don’t know how much he will be asked to do that at the next level. Looking at some online prospect rankings I was surprised to see him ranked behind so many others. I think he is a steal at this point, and judging by those rankings, he will be here.

ROUND 4 – R Wilson, QB Wisconsin

- This guy is a top 10 pick with a few inches of height. I think he is a far better player than Tannehill, but his height scares teams off. I personally don’t care as he played behind that Mammoth Wisconsin OL and shorter guys have had success in this league. I think he is the type of strong armed, smart, mobile QB Gailey would like and the perfect guy to develop as a backup. Just think of our running attack, with the All Pro Decastro leading the way, if teams had to worry about our QB booting right as Fred and Cj takeoff to the left? A mobile QB kills any type of backside pursuit, and the cut backs by Fred/Cj on those plays would rip defenses for 20 yarders routinely. This pick also allows us to ditch our current backup, and his salary.

ROUND 4b-7

- Too hard to predict who will be there and position really doesn’t matter at all, maybe a CB for depth as we have always had good luck with alte round CBs, BPA otherwise.

I would also like this draft. But please use T. Carter's full name when posting. It's more fun. Tank Carter! I'd take Randle in rd. 2 though if he is available over Sanu. I want either Decastro or the Bills top rated LB w/ the first pick.

Round one...Reif...best player available is position of worst need. No-brainer

Round two...Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

Round three..Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska

Round four A..Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma

Round four B.. Khaled Holmes, G, USC

Rouns five..Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas

Round six..Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

Round seven a... Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State

Round seven b...T-Bob Hebert, C/G, LSU

I have never really seen Hill play, so I have no idea if he is going to be any good, and I have no insight into whether the Bills think he is going to be good, or what spot they think they would be willing to take him at.

That said, this came out just now, from a guy I think is a very good evaluator, Greg Cosell, who said after watching Hill, he didn't get a good sense of him because he didn't run a lot of different routes in college. So, at least in my (amateur) book, that slightly lessens the chance of knowing whether his game will translate to the NFL. Not that Cosell is always right or what he says is gospel. If guys like him are right 50% of the time, they are awesome at evaluating. But if he said something like, Hill ran a lot of good patterns and looked smooth running them despite the low number of receptions, I may have a completely different POV of him.

As of now, from all I have read and watched and heard, he doesn't seem like top half of first round material, but I have no idea what the Bills think, or much to go on.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7445/stephen-hill

1.) David DeCastro, OG - Stanford

2.) Rueben Randle, WR - LSU/Stephen Hill, WR - GT/Alshon Jeffery, WR - South Carolina

3.) Jamell Fleming, CB - Oklahoma

4a.) Michael Egnew, TE - Mizzu

4b.) DeQuan Menzie, CB - Alabama

5a.) Nate Potter, OT - Boise St. (Needs some NFL weight training, Reminds some people of Nate Soldier)

5b.) Nick Foles, QB - Arizona

6.) Tank Carder, OLB - TCU

7a.) Vontaze Burfict, ILB - Arizona St.(Hes a nut case, will fall to the 7th, Bills take a chance)

7b.) Blair Walsh, K - Georgia (We need a good kicker to take over for Lindell. Here he is.)

That would be one he$1 of a draft.

I don't think the Bills will add a TE because we dont use them often but I would love to add Fleener in the 2nd. He is a good blocker and has size, could be a poor mans Gronk for us.

I would gladly drop Sanu in my mock for Fleener, and add a guy like T Streeter from Miami in the 4th if he lasts that long. Maybe a slight trade back in the 1`st can net us an extra pick to make it more realistic?

-Decastro

-Fleener

-Carder

-Streeter

-Wilson

Then take Burfict in the 7th just because lol.

Edited by peterpan

Not a lot of people have mentioned Tommy Streeter, but I would like to see the Bills take him if he is available later in the draft.

I love watching football - any kind including high school football. As many know, the high school football in South Florida is among the best in the country. A few years back, Northwestern High School had one of the better teams in the country. At the time, every one of the recruiting analysts was raving about one of their wide receivers by the name of Aldarius Johnson. I wanted to check him out (as well as some of the other players that UM was recruiting). I watched four of their games including the state championship game that Northwestern was in. In each game, the guy who impressed me the most was Tommy Streeter. The kid had size, speed, and very good hands. He also fit the description of what Buddy has characterized as someone who is open when he is not open.

In any event, Streeter ended up going to Miami. He was a red shirt his freshman year and hardly played the next couple years until Al Golden and his staff came in and had a very good year this past year in Jedd Fisch's offense even though Jacory Harris was an average college QB at best. I am not saying that we should pick him in the first or second round given that he really only had one year when he played a lot albeit very well. Nevertheless, the kid seems to have all of the tools. He also ran a 4.4 at the combine. He is just under 6'5", 219 pounds, and benched 225 pounds 17 times. By comparison, Floyd (who a lot of people here like) is 6'3", 220 pounds, ran a 4.47, and benched 225 pounds 16 times.

I am not saying that the Bills should take Streeter in the first round (as some people have them taking Floyd with the 10th pick) or second round. All I am saying that, if the Bills address other needs early and do not get someone like Blackmon or Floyd in the first round, there certainly is value (such as Streeter) later in the draft. Streeter had 46 receptions, a 17.6 average, and 8 TDs this past year. Depending on how Buddy and Chan evaluate him, he could be a good pick in the fourth round or thereabouts. He is raw and will have to improve the precision of his routes, but has upside especially given where he is likely to be taken in the draft.

Just my two cents.

I was wondering about Streeter, too. Everyone is high on Hill right now (myself included), but you look at body types, and Streeter is a tall WR 6-4, with 4.35 speed, I think. So, that is what we're looking for, especially if he has good hands.

I've been considering the 2012 draft, and I have settled on an approach. I don't like to go specific players, so much, because things can change so radically if one guy is chosen out of slot, the whole draft order can go nuts - so, I just look at the talent available, and from there I figure what will be available in rounds 2, 3, and 4 that is rated high enough to have an impact. My philosophy (unless there is a special player who you take no matter what because he's so great) is this: Don't take a WR in the first round if your needs are WR, OLB, CB, and LT when there are so many good WR's that other guys with similar capabilities will be there in RD's 2 and 3, if there is a LB in round 1 that looks equally good, but there's hardly any left in rounds 2 and 3.

So, I think, because of the depth of this draft, we go:

1. LB - Keuchly

2. WR (there will be a handful of starter material still there)

3. WR/QB/LT - best available

4. WR/QB/LT - best available

4. WR/QB/LT - best available

My thinking is in rounds 3-4 we should be able to land a QB like Weeden or Osweiler, a guy who can come in and be good enough to be a starter, with some coaching, in a year. We don't have to have a franchise QB, but we have to have a guy good enough to win 8-10 games with, someone young, and someone with the potential to be a real starter. Right now we have nobody on this roster but Fitz who should ever start at QB.

Between these 2 rounds, 3-4, we should be able to find a Tackle with enough talent to give Hairston competition. And, there seems to be enough good WR's that we might be able to walk away from this draft with 2 new WR's, both starter quality, and just have that position done for the next 3 or 4 years.

The thing is, I don't care, really, who we end up with, so long as we get 3 or 4 starters out of this draft. It just keeps getting more and more challenging each year to expect 3 or 4 starters, though, as our depth gets better. Still, with our needs, that should be attainable. I also think the Bills should trade Carrington if they're not going to keep him. The kid is a stud, and if we just let him go I guarantee a team like the Steelers or Jets will scoop him up and have a 8 year starter.

All I really want to see from this draft, or am hoping for, is that our 1st round pick be a real playmaker - which is why I went Keuchly - or Floyd would be fine, too, there are just so many WR's that look good in rounds 2 and 3 - because we need another LB, and I'd love to have that unit be a strength, too, and not just passable. I want a LB on our team like Green Bay, or Baltimore, or San Fran has. A mean, tough, nasty leader who is going to be the head of a great defense!

And, I really, really want us to find a good young QB to groom.

Go Bills!

Heres my alternate Mock with a trade, Bears trade their 1st (19) 2nd (50) and 6th (184) for our 1st. This gets them David DeCastro for much needed help on their O line. Cutler needs more time to hit Brandon Marshall. **I think I did the points correctly for the picks we get from the trade.

1.) Stephon Gilmore, CB - South Carolina

2a.) Lavonte David, OLB - Nebraska

2b.) Mohamed Sanu, WR - Rutgers

3.) Brock Osweiler, QB - Arizona St.

4a.) Matt McCants, OT - UAB

4b.) Nate Potter, OT - Boise St.

5a.) Kevin Koger, TE - Michigan (Soft hands, good athlete)

5b.) Donnie Fletcher, CB - BC (4.38 40 at pro day)

6a.) Joe Adams, WR - Arkansas

6b.) Brandon Lindsey, OLB/DE - Pitt (Coached by Wannstedt, versatile player)

7a.) Chad Diehl, FB - Clemson (strictly a blocking full back)

7b.) Blair Walsh, K - Georgia

Did you ever stop to think why the YPC was so high? When an offense like GT is 70% run game and 30% passing, when you do throw the ball the other team is surprised, allowing Hill to earn extra YPC.

I'm not knocking any of his "potential" or ability, but the facts are facts. He only caught 49 passes in his ENTIRE college career! How do you evaluate a guy like that and then say that you would take him #10 overall? Name one other wide receiver taken in the top 10 who had less than 50 career college catches.

Point taken...I was appealing to his big play potential and ability to stretch the field...to your closing argument, name a WR with Hill's measurables that caught less than 50 passes.

Todays NFL world is much different, and stakes rise and fall with the combine and pro day work outs. Teams value athleticism more and more these days.

Also, if you read what I wrote, I know that its a reach @ 10.

YEAH!! What he said!

I have never really seen Hill play, so I have no idea if he is going to be any good, and I have no insight into whether the Bills think he is going to be good, or what spot they think they would be willing to take him at.

That said, this came out just now, from a guy I think is a very good evaluator, Greg Cosell, who said after watching Hill, he didn't get a good sense of him because he didn't run a lot of different routes in college. So, at least in my (amateur) book, that slightly lessens the chance of knowing whether his game will translate to the NFL. Not that Cosell is always right or what he says is gospel. If guys like him are right 50% of the time, they are awesome at evaluating. But if he said something like, Hill ran a lot of good patterns and looked smooth running them despite the low number of receptions, I may have a completely different POV of him.

As of now, from all I have read and watched and heard, he doesn't seem like top half of first round material, but I have no idea what the Bills think, or much to go on.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7445/stephen-hill

The only problem I have with most of the so called "experts" is that they mostly watch highlight reels. They simply don't have access to actual game films where the real talent evaluaters can see every play. IMO, a lot of stock is put into what these kids do AWAY from the ball. I would say even more so with WR's. What do they do to draw coverages...do they run the routes that makes the safety take a step toward them...do they lock down their man after the ball is delivered, etc.

That is why Easley was a 4th round pick though. There is no comparison between the 2. If Hill were to go in the 4th I don't think anyone would care about the number of catches and be more wowed with his measurables. I don't think Hill will go in the top 20 and would be surprised if anyone took a flyer on him in the 1st at all.

The only problem I have with most of the so called "experts" is that they mostly watch highlight reels. They simply don't have access to actual game films where the real talent evaluaters can see every play. IMO, a lot of stock is put into what these kids do AWAY from the ball. I would say even more so with WR's. What do they do to draw coverages...do they run the routes that makes the safety take a step toward them...do they lock down their man after the ball is delivered, etc.

Yeah I've made this point before.

Without the "all 22 cameras" that coaches videotape games and practices on it's virtually impossible to evaluate wide receivers and defensive backs and much of what happens more than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

I personally don't spend much time watching videotape although I do like Blackmon better than I do Floyd. Blackmon seems like a more natural athlete.

I think the guy I referenced, Greg Cosell, does though. He's the main guy from NFL Films. ;)

Alright here is my first crack at it since all workouts are pretty much over...

10 - Whitney Mercilus DE - I know the pass rush was beefed up but this kid screams stud to me.

41 - Juron Criner WR zona - about the same measurables as Floyd with great catching ability snags ball away from body which is something I always want from a WR

71 - Lavonte David DE/OLB - been discussed ad nauseum on here explosive

105 - Matt McCants LOT UAB - back to back first team all conference

124 - Nate Potter LOT Boise - double dipping at lt I know but it is an area of need and I like Potter

144 - DeQuan Menzie CB Bama - I think he will go earlier drafttek says he'll go later so I split the difference, Played opposite Kirkpatrick so was tested often and held up very well.

147 - BJ Coleman QB Chattanooga - developmental qb and one that I believe (may be mistaken) has ties to Nix. Strong Arm, Mobile, and supposedly a great passion for the game

178 - Marvin McNutt WR Iowa - Holds Iowa career records for yards and tds and 7 behind leader for receptions

217 - Cliff Harris CB Oregon - Absolute steal if he is still here

251 - Adrian Hamilton DE/OLB Prairie View - Shout out to Damond but this kids highlights are sick. There is a thread about him if you'd like to see it.

I used draftteks rankings and picked my own players. Some of their rankings are questionable but its what I used.... what do you guys think?

Less than 20 days away. Here's my opinion -

1) Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, 6'3" 192, Alabama - Elite size for the position. An extremely physical player especially at the line of scrimmage. Very solid tackler and has a reputation for being a hard worker. Great instincts make him the best zone coverage corner in the draft, but he is also a solid cover man as well. Was considered a top 10 player until a marijuana arrest raised some suspicions.

2) Bobbie Massie, OT, 6'6" 316, Mississippi - Massive tackle with long arms and quick feet. His eye-popping numbers at the combine highlight his athleticism. He is very effective at corralling speed rushers and is a solid LT prospect.

3) Marvin McNutt, WR, 6'3", 215 Iowa - The best receiver in the Big 10 last season. Great hands and size, very physical. This is the type of WR Buddy was talking about when he said "we need a guy who's open even when he's not open."

4a) Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State 6'0" 240 - Smart player with a nose for the ball and a tackling machine. Prototypical build for a 4-3 OLB.

4b) Nick Foles, QB, 6'5" 240, Arizona - Ideal size, strong arm. Was probably slotted as the #4 QB in the draft and a high 3rd round pick until his disastrous pro day dropped his stock a bit.

The Bills draft strategy and why we'll take Kirkpatrick:

- Don't buy into all the BPA nonsense. That can be interpreted in many ways, especially if you phrase it as "best player available that helps our team the most" - and that's more along the lines of what Nix means IMO. There's also an old saying that you "build a defense from the lines out." That was true in the run-heavy NFL of the 70s and 80s, but has no weight in today's pass-happy game. QB is the hardest position to fill, followed closely by pass-rushers and cornerbacks - and good luck signing a top CB in free agency unless you have the means to hand out $50M+ contracts.

- There's a need. Currently our top 4 CB's consist of an oft-injured aging veteran (McGee), 2 shaky (at best) coverage men (Florence, McKelvin), and a promising 2nd year player that doesn't have a full season under his belt (Williams). Yes, we all know that an improved pass rush will help our CBs, but there is still a glaring need in our secondary. Look for the Bills to draft a second corner later in the draft as well.

- Nix has also made no secret of our need for CB's with quotes like "you can never have too many" and "don't be surprised if we draft another one high next year."

- Nix also seems high on players from strong conferences like the SEC.

- The physical traits of Kirkpatrick make him a tailor made matchup against the two-headed TE monster playing in New England.