Mike Jasper at Guard?

In his 3/21 recap, Chris Brown had a photo of Mike Jasper from his visit to a local elementary school. The caption listed him as a guard. Whatcha think?

There was a lotta love for Jasper here last year after we picked him up. He's obviously a large force with some athletic ability...the trouble was finding a position he'd excel at. A back-up guard seems like a good fit. More O-Line depth...and a mountain of a man at that...isn't a bad idea.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious Jasper is still learning how to play at the NFL level. He is physical enough to do it but played against high school level talent in college. It was obvious seeing him get pushed around in pre-season games by 3rd and 4th stringers. In the NFL it's leverage plus size and strength.

The fact he's still here shows that someone thinks he's worth keeping, and he must be improving.

PTR

Definitely a better fit at Guard, especially now that we have so much outrageous D-Line depth.

If we start the season with Levitre and Urbik as our starting guards with Rinehart and Jasper as our primary backups there, I'd be okay with that. Maybe draft an interior O-lineman in the 5-7 rounds just for insurance.

He played both DT and OG in college, and the coaching staff decided he would be a better fit on offense. I wonder how is weight loss is going. I know that he was expected to lose even more weight. I do hope he makes the team.

Looks like he lost quite a bit of weight judging by his recent photo.

PTR

I felt that Jasper looked excellent in preseason. He was getting great push to the QB. He actually had a pressure that resulted in an Aaron Williams INT. I'm pretty sure the only reason they switched him to guard was because our other back-up DTs looked awesome (Heard, Dotson), not because he couldn't handle it. I'd love to see him used at Tight End on short yardage runs like Mularkey used to use Jason Peters. Mark my words. He will play and he will be great.

Jasper at Guard is not a new development. He was moved to OL after pre-season last year and that's where he practiced all year.

Seems to me Jasper was tried at tackle last year, not guard. I can't remember. Guard would be a much better fit, IMO.

Levitre to LT isn't a great idea. He was a desperation fill-in. He was awful at center. Levitre needs to stay at guard, Wood at center, and we need to find our tackle, be it Bell or someone else.

1332509395[/url]' post='2419862']

Looks like he lost quite a bit of weight judging by his recent photo.

PTR

I recently had lunch at Tao in Orchard Park and Jasper came in with a couple friends. He sat next to me at the bar, and he is a great guy. He definitely lost some weight. He is a VERY THICK man. Rooting for him as he is all class.

I recently had lunch at Tao in Orchard Park and Jasper came in with a couple friends. He sat next to me at the bar, and he is a great guy. He definitely lost some weight. He is a VERY THICK man. Rooting for him as he is all class.

He looks like is at 340 or less.

To put this in perspective:

Jasper dressed for the final game last season, but didn't get on the field. So even though it was a meaningless game, and they presumably wanted to evaluate talent if possible, they didn't even put him out there for field goals and extra points. I think it's fair to say that he still has a ways to go if he wants to secure a roster spot.

Realistically, they probably expect him to complete for the 4th G (or T) spot on the roster. For the 3rd spot, you need somebody that brings more to the table than him (pardon the pun) , because that player will very likely get some significant reps during the season. You can afford to be more flexible with the 4th spot, since that player wouldn't be expected to see as much playing time unless there happened to be a rash of injuries.

It's obvious Jasper is still learning how to play at the NFL level. He is physical enough to do it but played against high school level talent in college. It was obvious seeing him get pushed around in pre-season games by 3rd and 4th stringers. In the NFL it's leverage plus size and strength.

The fact he's still here shows that someone thinks he's worth keeping, and he must be improving.

PTR

I dont think he was getting pushed around....I just think that he wasn't getting any penetration.

Def better suited as a protector then a agresser