TEBOW!!! is a Jet! (finally)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty good article from Don Banks - well written and unbiased in my opinion. The fallacy in Dilfer's thinking is that Tebow needs to play like Manning to win championships. The whole issue that Tebow supporters are leaning on is that Tebow can play like Tebow and win. He doesn't need to play like Manning. That is the bottom line. You see, a lot of people don't want Tebow to win because him doing so would devalue the playing style of guys like Manning, who are prototypical pocket passers. Not to say that pocket passers won't succeed and be great, it's just going to become evident that you don't HAVE to play according to one certain paradigm in order to win in the NFL. And the NFL doesn't want to see this because for years, they have been moving toward a passing dominant league, and Tebow threatens to undermine this business model. So they have been spewing this propaganda that his style won't work - because they don't want to see his skill set be successful in the NFL. But it will be. We all will see soon.

Isn't funny how Dilfer tries to grasp at anything he can to keep dogging Tebow? Now that Tebow is about to start (after Dilfer and others have been saying all along that he won't start in the NFL....) Dilfer is granting all of a sudden that Tebow might be successful for a few games? That just seems a little suspicious - he is backpedaling big time here on everything he has been spewing all season long. But at least for a few weeks, he'll be able to say "I told you he might be successful at first." That will buy him some more time. But Trent, it is inevitable man. You and Hoge can have a Tebow-crow choking party together. I'll buy you guys both a beer to make you feel better.

Okay, so now we can add "Paranoid" to your list of charming foibles. Couple that with your irrational outbursts of rage and your need to be right and I imagine you're on top of everyone's guest list for dinner parties.

The bolded statement seems to be the crux of your belief that there is some conspiracy against Tebow. But it's absolutely ridiculous. The NFL would love nothing more than for Tim Tebow to succeed. The dude is already one of the top selling jerseys in the game and he hasn't done a thing yet. If he ends up being great, the NFL will head into the next 10 years with more marquee QBs playing at once than maybe ever before. Think about the list right now (off the top of my head):

Rodgers

Brady (still has time left sadly)

Rivers

Stafford

Ryan

Freeman (if he keeps developing)

Big Ben

Manning Squared (not for too much longer)

If Tebow does well and joins that list, the NFL would LOVE it. It would put a major QB in nearly every big market in the league. Not only that, the age of Stafford, Ryan, Rodgers, Tebow and Freeman means they can be successful for the next decade if they stay healthy. The NFL would love nothing more.

No one wants Tebow to succeed more than the NFL. No one. The guy causes controversy without being a felon and that makes people want watch -- whether it's to root for him or against him. The NFL is all about money. More eyes on games = more money for them. To think that the NFL in some way would want Tebow to fail is not just paranoid, it's delusional.

People don't point out Tebow's shortcomings because they are afraid of him succeeding. They point out his shortcomings because they don't believe he has the tools as a passer to be anything more than a novelty.

And yet, you still have not given us one reason outside of stats from his days in college and your psychic abilities as to why Tebow will succeed in the NFL as a passer.

Great read from a very smart guy Malcolm Gladwell in a link from the New Yorker article on Fitzmagic.

In fact, Berri and Simmons found no connection between where a quarterback was taken in the draft—that is, how highly he was rated on the basis of his college performance—and how well he played in the pros.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/12/15/081215fa_fact_gladwell#ixzz1amkiIo9C

Great read from a very smart guy Malcolm Gladwell in a link from the New Yorker article on Fitzmagic.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/12/15/081215fa_fact_gladwell#ixzz1amkiIo9C

Come on, Kelly, we both know SouthGeorgiaBillsFan doesn't read the New Yorker! That has big words in it and rarely has pictures of scantily clad ladies (I say rarely because the pull out they did on Condi Rice was-well it was disturbing but I still kept it).

Edit: But good find!

Edited by tgreg99

True, but watching that game I saw Tebow complete 4 passes. 1 was for 0 yards, 1 was a screen pass at an opportune time, one was an amazing grab in spite of Tebows throw and the last was actually a good pass. Most of his throws were wobbly and off target. I think he is a gamer and could be much better, but that comeback was not because of great quarterback throwing by any means.

...That catch by Lloyd on the sidelines was perfectly placed- where only he could get it.

The bolded line shows why the tebow fan boys are completely obnoxious and aren't taken seriously. They simply cannot see the flip side of the coin and comprehend that their savior might not have what it takes to be a good NFL QB.

I understand why you feel the way you do about Tebow. At least in your case, the reason for the Tebow-hate is blatantly obvious - making it very easy to simply dismiss your jaded view of the guy.

For your viewing enjoyment, here are even more hi-lites of Tebow - which no doubt will bring back great memories B-)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4murbmcUQxw

Got any of him crying after losing to FSU? :nana:

(If it makes you feel better, I find Tebow pretty annoying. Helluva QB, though.)

I can't stand him, but mostly because of the ridiculous hype surrounding him. (and because of the obvious reasons) He was a hell of a college QB, no question about that. One of the greats to play the game.

However, all personal feelings and collegiate allegiances aside, i see very little in his game as a QB that will translate to long term sustained success at the NFL level. NFL is completely different than college. The stuff he got away with at UF he won't be able to get away with against NFL defenders. I'm guessing he'll do good for a stretch, and then once D-coordinators have the book on him, they'll have no problems stopping him.

I can't stand him, but mostly because of the ridiculous hype surrounding him. (and because of the obvious reasons) He was a hell of a college QB, no question about that. One of the greats to play the game.

However, all personal feelings and collegiate allegiances aside, i see very little in his game as a QB that will translate to long term sustained success at the NFL level. NFL is completely different than college. The stuff he got away with at UF he won't be able to get away with against NFL defenders. I'm guessing he'll do good for a stretch, and then once D-coordinators have the book on him, they'll have no problems stopping him.

Yeah, you're probably right - that sheeet will never fly in the NFL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLjdXskTdo