Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL veteran minimum for a player in his 5th year is $635,000.

It's hard for me to believe that the Bills contract offer uses this number as the starting point.

Interesting point. Bell's 2011 salary was $569,125 according to one source.

Personally, if I were offered a $106,000 raise, I wouldn't be all insulted and stalk off but then, I'm not an NFL player.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bills started with veteran minimum plus a signing bonus, then put in incentives for games played and so forth - "stay healthy and we'll double your money"

It wouldn't be reasonable to expect a player to sign a 2nd contract for vet. minimum if he's a starting left tackle on any team.

We will pick a LT either way because Bell is simply not durable enough to count on for an NFL season. He hurts that shoulder every year, forget all the knee and ankle stuff, a guy like that takes reps away from us having consistency at our most important Oline spot.

I'd rather have a dude that has 80% of the talent but solid durability so I know we aren't going into the playoffs with another patched up line.

Haven't seen this posted here, apologies if I missed it.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/nix-update-on-demetrius-bell/

Sounds like Buddy's set on Hairston at LT.

“Demetrius wanted to test the market I think and we told him to go ahead and do that,” said Nix. ”We made him an offer and didn’t hear anything back from him so I assume they’re looking for something else.”

“Chris Hairston did a good job for us and we think he can handle it,” said Nix. ”We’re not concerned about it.”

It's weird. I swear those are the exact same words that he used just before free agency started. He remains mighty consistent.

Unlike Nix though, _I_ have concerns about it! I thought Hairston did an admirable job for a rookie RT playing LT. But I never felt like I was watching our clear future LT. I did feel that way watching Bell's potential.

It's weird. I swear those are the exact same words that he used just before free agency started. He remains mighty consistent.

Unlike Nix though, _I_ have concerns about it! I thought Hairston did an admirable job for a rookie RT playing LT. But I never felt like I was watching our clear future LT. I did feel that way watching Bell's potential.

Agree 100% on everything. Thought his footwork was slow on pass plays but maybe part of it was because of it being his first year here. Buddy/Chan feel Hairston is the main at LT so we'll see how it goes.

I get the sense the Bills think that if Bell was a bit tougher, he'd spend less time in the trainer's room. He doesn't seem to want to fight through the pain like a warrior should. Just IMO, I could well be wrong.

I get what you're saying Coach Tuesday, but how could the guy play through a broken collarbone? Remember, at first it was reported it was a shoulder injury but when they did the MRI it turned out to be a completely broken collarbone - no one can play through that.

A one year deal. Its simple and works for everyone. A deal like this allows the Bills to get by this year since the tackles behind Kalil in the draft are clearly not ready to start at LT day one. This also gives them the breathing room to mature a younger tackle, such as Hairston, or my preference of spending a round 3 pick on a Bobbie Massie. For Bell this is also a great opportunity because despite his trips to Washington, Arizona, and Green Bay has emerged without a contract. This is most likely because his injury history greatly diminishes his worth. So my solution is a one year 4 million contract. If he can prove his injuries are behind him he's ready for his fat check and we're able to prepare for his departure.

A one year deal. Its simple and works for everyone. A deal like this allows the Bills to get by this year since the tackles behind Kalil in the draft are clearly not ready to start at LT day one. This also gives them the breathing room to mature a younger tackle, such as Hairston, or my preference of spending a round 3 pick on a Bobbie Massie. For Bell this is also a great opportunity because despite his trips to Washington, Arizona, and Green Bay has emerged without a contract. This is most likely because his injury history greatly diminishes his worth. So my solution is a one year 4 million contract. If he can prove his injuries are behind him he's ready for his fat check and we're able to prepare for his departure.

My vote is for a two-year deal, close to minimum for salary, but with bonuses for playing time.

Word is that the Bills did make him an offer...but Bell/his manager never came back with a counter. we dont knwo what the offer was/is. The fact that they never made a counter offer tells me he doesnt want to come back.

I get the sense the Bills think that if Bell was a bit tougher, he'd spend less time in the trainer's room. He doesn't seem to want to fight through the pain like a warrior should. Just IMO, I could well be wrong.

Injury after injury. Hope we dont re-sign him. Your post seems spot on to me. Need a guy to push himself, not warm the bench at every fart stuck cross-ways.

Did you feel like you were watching the Bills' clear future LT in Bell in 2009 (before injury)?