Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/481930-NBC_s_Capus_Breaking_News_Can_t_Come_at_Expense_of_Breaking_Public_Trust.php

3/16/12 NBC News President Steve Capus...

""We must be accurate, even-handed, and, indeed, ethical. In the news business we are often presented with options of shortcuts for taking advantage of a situation when it's presented of breaking the news first. And, let's be honest, it is exciting to get exclusive information or the first interview. But under no circumstances is it worth the cost of breaking public trust. Trust is what news organizations live and die by, and it takes an unwavering commitment from every employee to keep that trust alive."

Meanwhile, Americans are still waiting for the on air apology for the clear deception of the original Zimmerman tape editing and the outright lie whereby they claimed it was a mistake. A flagrant, in your face showing that they feel Americans are as dumb as a box of rocks. This doesn't appear to be going away Steve...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/04/09/Editgate-Three-Strikes-Capus-Out

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb-staff/2012/04/10/nb-publisher-bozells-calls-congress-investigate-comcast-and-nbc

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, that's pretty clear. He shot a 17 year old who was walking home from the corner store. First, he followed him and then most likely approached Trayvon because he was "suspicious".

Where are you getting this garbage? No version of the story has mentioned anything of the sort. Again, you totally discount anything Zimmerman or the eyewitness has had to say, completely disregard the visual evidence of injuries sustained and the eyewitness acount of Trayvon pummeling Zimm, and then you offer your own BS speculation about the actual events and Zimmerman's motive.

Why do you need more evidence as to Trayvon's level of aggression when you've totally disregarged all available evidence to date? Face it, you touted this as a failure of the "justice system" the minute this story broke, you found George Zimmerman guilty of hate crime, and you're sticking with it.

Edited by Jauronimo

*notice how so many have been proven wrong about the supposed racial slur on tape,

*wrong about the video proving no injury,

*wrong about a doctored NBC tape.

*They dont seem to care that a rare rubric white Hispanic was introduced uniquely in this case for similar purposes of polarization,

*or that photos were published with the intent to mislead the public about the size and age of the victim,

*or that there have been calls for an immediate arrest, before the review of probable cause is finished, as if arresting someone through mob pressure is a compromise solution.

Most will be glad to see Zimmerman charged if a review of the evidence suggests that there is probable cause to think he was not endangered physically by Martin and so shot the latter without sufficient reason. But so far the media and commentators have not been interested in ascertaining that, at least in comparison with hyping a supposed white/black racial incident for careerist purposes.

FTA:

Victor Davis Hanson

Edited by B-Man

So, when this news story first broke I suggested caution. Several of you guys were calling Zimmerman a racist cold blooded killer. You were sucked right into the media hype. Even as the story seemed to unfold more and more in Zimmerman's favor, you guys stuck to it as I and others here suggested letting it play out. I accused you guys of a figurative lynching because you guys were sticking to your original hype. Eventually you guys came around somewhat to the idea that it might not be racial but still want to stick to the story that Zimmerman chased Martin down and confronted him. Zimmerman has a plausible story and the evidence seems to back it up. I still say we don't know but partial details. Now, where is my straw man argument?

Ten days ago:

That Zimmerman outweighed the kid Trayvon by 100 pounds and he went out to chase him down and kill him in cold blood because of the fact he was a racist.

Today:

I never said anything but that it should be investigated further.

The straw man comes from you arguing against a belief that I don't hold nor never held. Calling for further investigation because it looks like a cold blooded killer is going to get away is not the same as calling for a virtual lynch mob.

The straw man comes from you arguing against a belief that I don't hold nor never held. Calling for further investigation because it looks like a cold blooded killer is going to get away is not the same as calling for a virtual lynch mob.

Wow, that's quite the leap of logic. How do you get from, "there should be an investigation" to "cold blooded killer"

No wonder even 3rd is winning a logical argument with you.

I think he's partially right. The OJ case did create the 24x7 crime-and-punishment media monster; I don't think there's any question that the country/media paid a lot more attention to the case than if would have if Pete Rose or Bruce Jenner had carved up their wife and boyfriend (but feel free to do so at any time now Mr. Jenner). OJ was the perfect storm of race, celebrity and crime, the crown jewels of American cultural stupidity.

What if it was Wayne Gretzky or Joe Montana nearly beheading their super hot wives along with their stud boyfriend? I think it was more sex related than race. I didn't even think of race in the OJ case until somehow it became all about race (OJ was beloved hero - at least mine, and he had transcended race).

I caught a few seconds of "CBS This Morning" and Martin's parents were on. And wouldn't you know it, they STILL had that picture of him when he was 13. Why? Why not a baby picture of him?

Seriously?!?

I thought before that it was the media that was behind the pictures, etc. But the parents have really seemed to fuel this portrait of the angel by not providing current pictures, scrubbing his facebook and twitter accounts, etc.

What if it was Wayne Gretzky or Joe Montana nearly beheading their super hot wives along with their stud boyfriend? I think it was more sex related than race. I didn't even think of race in the OJ case until somehow it became all about race (OJ was beloved hero - at least mine, and he had transcended race).

Wasn't OJ considered a "white black"?

I'm guessing that without the racial angle, the story would have carried as much weight as the news about Phil Spector & Robert Blake shootings. You know, former big stars, recent has beens doing bad stuff.

I'm guessing that without the racial angle, the story would have carried as much weight as the news about Phil Spector & Robert Blake shootings. You know, former big stars, recent has beens doing bad stuff.

OJ was still on NBC on a weekly basis, at least during football season, so it wasn't like Spector and Blake, who had not been heard from in decades.

OJ was still on NBC on a weekly basis, at least during football season, so it wasn't like Spector and Blake, who had not been heard from in decades.

His role was very minor and decade removed from MNF, Naked Gun etc. It's like saying Tony Siragusa is a key member of Fox now. OJ was very much a has-been celebrity in '92 and was probably on his way to Chicago to pick out the best leather jacket to wear when he tried his water ski jumping trick.

Nope, those guys would have garnered 80% less attention (except in Canada had it been Gretzky -- crayonz can comment further). Sex/domestic violence was part of the story, but race was the real fuel on the fire. Not just because it was a mixed race marriage and a black-on-white crime, but for the very reason you mention -- OJ did transcend race as a cultural icon, moreso than anyone before him or after him (at least until the mid-80s with guys like Jordan and Michael Jackson*), but suddenly all of that was being rolled back and he was accused of being just another violent black man. That was a huge contradiction that shocked and fascinated people and I presume broke a lot of hearts in the black community (and Buffalo).

*notice how he generated a similar reaction when accused of a serious crime later on? Would people have been protesting in the streets for Madonna if she was charged with kiddy absuse? I doubt it.

His role was very minor and decade removed from MNF, Naked Gun etc. It's like saying Tony Siragusa is a key member of Fox now. OJ was very much a has-been celebrity in '92 and was probably on his way to Chicago to pick out the best leather jacket to wear when he tried his water ski jumping trick.

From the perspective of a kid growing up in VA in 1992 I was blown away by the OJ accusations. We read about him in 3rd grade overcoming a disability and going on to break records; He was Nordberg, the likeable guy from Naked Gun; He was that seemingly friendly guy on the SB pregame show and the guy running through the airport in commercials. My parents couldn't tell you who Joe Montana was but they knew who OJ was.

By contrast, I'd never even heard of Robert Blake or Phil Specter.

The point is, OJ was someone that people felt like they knew. Not just a name and a face, but his personality, and he was widely known across the country and across generations. Those other guys were just guys a lot of people had heard of.

From the perspective of a kid growing up in VA in 1992 I was blown away by the OJ accusations. We read about him in 3rd grade overcoming a disability and going on to break records; He was Nordberg, the likeable guy from Naked Gun; He was that seemingly friendly guy on the SB pregame show and the guy running through the airport in commercials. My parents couldn't tell you who Joe Montana was but they knew who OJ was.

By contrast, I'd never even heard of Robert Blake or Phil Specter.

The point is, OJ was someone that people felt like they knew. Not just a name and a face, but his personality, and he was widely known across the country and across generations. Those other guys were just guys a lot of people had heard of.

Plus...Ron Goldman was carrying Skittles.

Did Al Cufflinks ever get anything for that? I know he was charged at least.

Here ya go Sue:

"Cowlings Won't Be Prosecuted, D.A. Decides

November 8, 1994 | JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER

Al Cowlings, O.J. Simpson's best friend who was at the wheel during the famous low-speed pursuit preceding the football great's arrest, will not be prosecuted for his role in the flight, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office announced Monday. In a one-line statement, prosecutors explained that "the evidence available to us at this time is insufficient to warrant prosecution" of Cowlings."

The fact that it was such a vicious crime and the white Bronco chase contributed to the hype.

It's also because it was in LA. LA is crazy about that **** even if the celebrity was a has been it's still news. Also Goldman worked at one of the hot celebrity hangout restaurants. Had OJ been living in Buffalo when he killed Nicole and her "friend" it wouldn't have gone anywhere. LA is a narcissistic town and really hyped up the whole crime and trial.

It's also because it was in LA. LA is crazy about that **** even if the celebrity was a has been it's still news. Also Goldman worked at one of the hot celebrity hangout restaurants. Had OJ been living in Buffalo when he killed Nicole and her "friend" it wouldn't have gone anywhere. LA is a narcissistic town and really hyped up the whole crime and trial.

Well, I think there were a lot of things making it a big circus and the LA location was big. Hell, if I remember correctly there were 20 or 30 news copters trailing the Bronco. It was so bad their news feeds were getting screwed up.