Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/28/politics/congressman-hoodie/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Afterward, Rush told CNN he was wearing a tie, suggesting he was appropriately dressed for the House floor. He said the purpose of putting on the hoodie was to send a message to young people, "to stand their ground, stand up and don't stand down."

Interesting choice of words.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Republicans are politicizing the issue and Obama speaks from the heart...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/03/28/obama_campaign_republicans_are_politicizing_trayvon_martins_death.html

Upon reading this, one of my coworkers rolled her eyes and said Obama speaks from his ass :lol:

Are they saying he was speaking from the heart at the press conference where one of his staffers had to ask a reporter to ask the question?

Republicans are politicizing the issue and Obama speaks from the heart...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/03/28/obama_campaign_republicans_are_politicizing_trayvon_martins_death.html

Upon reading this, one of my coworkers rolled her eyes and said Obama speaks from his ass :lol:

Yup it was Republicans who invited Martins parents to a hearing on the Hill and then wore a hoodie on the chamber floor.

How Trayvon Martin gunman aided neighbor after a break-in

For many Americans, George Zimmerman has become the face of barbarous vigilante justice. For Olivia Bertalan, he was the face of compassion — a neighbor of consummate graciousness and low-key gallantry.

Roughly six months before Zimmerman shot and killed an unarmed black teenager in his gated Florida townhouse complex, he was standing in Bertalan’s doorway, asking what he could do to help her. A group of young men had just broken into Bartalan’s townhouse as she and her infant cowered in a locked bedroom. The intruders had stolen a $600 camera and a laptop.

After the police had come and gone, the doorbell rang, and there was Zimmerman: 5-foot-9, in a shirt and tie, his body a little doughy, his demeanor gentle. He introduced himself. He gave her a list of phone numbers where she could reach him at any time. He gave her a heavy-duty lock to bolster the sliding-glass door that the suspects had forced open. He told her she could go stay with his wife down the street if she ever felt scared again.

“That first impression was really sweet,” Bartalan, 21, told the Los Angeles Times. “It really does break my heart how they’re portraying him as coldblooded murderer.”

This is the impression of Zimmerman shared by a number of neighbors and acquaintances, one that only compounds the complexity and tragedy in the case of Trayvon Martin, whom Zimmerman gunned down Feb. 26 in a suburban side yard.

Zimmerman, who claimed self-defense, has not been arrested, and outraged observers have impugned the 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain, and the justice system, as racist. Friends and family have argued that Zimmerman, who is half-Peruvian, has many black friends and even family members, and was not motivated by prejudice.

The case continues to prompt debate and protests nationwide.

LA Times

According to ABC, Zimmerman had no bruises or cuts consistent with the story that he is telling. I don't think the quality of the video is good enough to tell definitively, but they probably have better equipment for analysis that I do. Look see:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897

First give his Knicks tickets to the old couple he ended up terrorizing. Next, take every cent he has.

Spike Lee, The New Black Panthers, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have acted either illegally or immorally here. Spike Lee had a purpose in tweeting the address. To what purpose? The New Black Panthers broke the law in promoting and offering to pay for the death or kidnapping of George Zimmerman. The two self-proclaimed men of god might have stirred things up enough to cause the death of Zimmerman. I saw an older black woman on tv stating emphatically that this was a clear case of racism and that Zimmerman went looking to find a black boy to gun down. None of the evidence points to this, just the good reverends' rhetoric.

Also, interesting that Martin's girlfried called him and he answered 5 minutes before police arrived. Apparently then, as according to Zimmerman, a lot of things happened in 3-5 minutes.

Edited by Juror#8

According to ABC, Zimmerman had no bruises or cuts consistent with the story that he is telling. I don't think the quality of the video is good enough to tell definitively, but they probably have better equipment for analysis that I do. Look see:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897

I didn't get past the pic of the 13 year old with the caption identifying him as a 17 year old. This outlet (and the entire national media for that matter) has absolutely no credibility on this case.

I didn't get past the pic of the 13 year old with the caption identifying him as a 17 year old. This outlet (and the entire national media for that matter) has absolutely no credibility on this case.

I'm trying to look past all the sensationalism and pagentry and focus on the few bits of evidence that is there in this matter - the 911 call, Zimmerman's claim, the girlfriend's claim, witness statements, police report, and now this video.

IF Zimmerman's claim is inconsistent with conclusive video evidence (and notice I mentioned "conclusive"), then there is a problem.

According to ABC, the video doesn't show any evidence of a struggle - no significant bruises, no blood, nothing disheveled, no evidence of a significant struggle, and no evidence that Martin was where Zimmerman said he was when Zimmerman shot (over top of him in some fashion).

Anyone getting anything evidentiary from this video that supports or refutes either side?

In an ironic twist they went on to say that Zimmerman was much more built than the photo previously available to them, without mentioning Martin had gone through puberty since his photo.

I'm trying to look past all the sensationalism and pagentry and focus on the few bits of evidence that is there in this matter - the 911 call, Zimmerman's claim, the girlfriend's claim, witness statements, police report, and now this video.

IF Zimmerman's claim is inconsistent with conclusive video evidence (and notice I mentioned "conclusive"), then there is a problem.

According to ABC, the video doesn't show any evidence of a struggle - no significant bruises, no blood, nothing disheveled, no evidence of a significant struggle, and no evidence that Martin was where Zimmerman said he was when Zimmerman shot (over top of him in some fashion).

Anyone getting anything evidentiary from this video that supports or refutes either side?

The quality of that video makes it hard to tell anything. You should know that there should be significant forensic evidence to help settle this case. They should be able to tell how far away he was when he shot him, angle, etc. I'm sure they took clear closeup photographs of bruises, cuts, grass stains and whatever else. You are speculating here Jackie Chiles. :w00t:

The quality of that video makes it hard to tell anything. You should know that there should be significant forensic evidence to help settle this case. They should be able to tell how far away he was when he shot him, angle, etc. I'm sure they took clear closeup photographs of bruises, cuts, grass stains and whatever else. You are speculating here Jackie Chiles. :w00t:

That's why he said "...conclusive (and notice I mentioned "conclusive")".

I'm not going after you for posting it. I'm just sickened by the whole situation, particularly the media coverage. It's really bothering me. There is plenty of evidence that we've cited and discussed in this thread that has been available for days, in many instances weeks, that never gets mentioned in these "updates". There's a concerted effort to cast this story in a particlar light regardless of the facts. They want this to be racial SO badly even if it isn't. This story is just another example.

That's why he said "...conclusive (and notice I mentioned "conclusive")".

Yes, and I basically stated that it wasn't conclusive, but if the PD was doing their job they would have conclusive evidence if it was there. If they don't have it then they are either incompetent or Zimmerman's story has some holes. In the meantime, while I don't even know your brother, it's obvious why he was the one in the family with all the friends.

I'm not going after you for posting it. I'm just sickened by the whole situation, particularly the media coverage. It's really bothering me. There is plenty of evidence that we've cited and discussed in this thread that has been available for days, in many instances weeks, that never gets mentioned in these "updates". There's a concerted effort to cast this story in a particlar light regardless of the facts. They want this to be racial SO badly even if it isn't. This story is just another example.

The side story here are the actions of Spike Lee, The New Black Panthers and the two men of god. Oh, and the Messiah. And the non-action of the Florida officials and the DOJ as it pertains to the proposed hate crimes by these people.

Once able to get past the initial over reaction to the case it appears that race was not so much a problem in the incident so much as stupidity. In the end I can't get past the fact that he followed Martin, and if the girlfriend is telling the truth, was not just walking back to his car when the scuffle started.

Other things that have to be looked at in before making another rush to judgment in looking at this video is that Zimmerman had received medical treatment before being brought to the police station. His nose was probably cleaned up as well as the back of his head.

The question of race now comes in in the form of whether or not Zimmerman would have followed Martin if he wasn't black. Also the idea that the hoodie should bring attention to him doesn't really make a case either. It was cold and rainy and anyone would be trying to keep warm. Should we consider Bill Bilichich (sp) suspicious when he's on the sideline in his hoodie?

In the end, Zimmerman did not purposely kill Martin only because he was black and cannot be charged with a hate crime. But if he was acting in a manner that was suspicious to Martin, such as following him, doesn't Martin have a right to stand his ground.

This whole case has turned into a giant cluster!@#$.