Andy LeVitre or Jairus Byrd??

Estro

The Bills 2 most important free agents next offseason will be Jairus Byrd and Andy LeVitre. I think it's very important that both get resigned, as they're both very good and young. With that said if the Bills can only afford one of them, who would you rather have? It's a tough call, and while I'm optimistic Buddy will re-up both of them I'm curious what you guys would prefer if we only resigned one.

Ben Grubbs, a very similar player to LeVitre, just got 5 years $36 million, with $16 million guarenteed.

Antrel Rolle, similar to Byrd, inked a 5 year $37 million deal in 2010, with $15 million guarenteed.

This gives you a ball park range of how much these 2 will cost to retain.

I'll give my answer and reasoning after some responses come in because I don't want to influence any of the thinking.

P.S.- If not throwing money at a FA WR this year, just for the sake of plugging a hole, allows us the opportunity to re-sign both Byrd and LeVitre than it's a great move. LeVitre and Byrd are much more valuable to this team than a Manningham, or Lloyd would ever be.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully they can keep both but if it really came down to it, LeVitre would be the no brainer answer. Good offensive lineman are scarce and worth their weight in gold. If Byrd was a lock down corner he would be worth more, but being just a safety there is no eay he will get 37 mill for five years. Safeties are a dime a dozen. Good corners are worth more.

Don't get me wrong I like Byrd, just that safties are easier to replace.

We better resign both but I'd take Byrd over almost anyone on our team. He has the potential to be the best FS in the league and has improved his all around game every year since his rookie season. I think he is going to have a great year (and career) with a good pass rush in front of him.

The Bills 2 most important free agents next offseason will be Jairus Byrd and Andy LeVitre. I think it's very important that both get resigned, as they're both very good and young. With that said if the Bills can only afford one of them, who would you rather have? It's a tough call, and while I'm optimistic Buddy will re-up both of them I'm curious what you guys would prefer if we only resigned one.

Ben Grubbs, a very similar player to LeVitre, just got 5 years $36 million, with $16 million guarenteed.

Antrel Rolle, similar to Byrd, inked a 5 year $37 million deal in 2010, with $15 million guarenteed.

This gives you a ball park range of how much these 2 will cost to retain.

I'll give my answer and reasoning after some responses come in because I don't want to influence any of the thinking.

P.S.- If not throwing money at a FA WR this year, just for the sake of plugging a hole, allows us the opportunity to re-sign both Byrd and LeVitre than it's a great move. LeVitre and Byrd are much more valuable to this team than a Manningham, or Lloyd would ever be.

would like to see them both finish there careers in Buffalo....tough question as we have struggled to obtain talent in the past its a shame to see them go. Ink Levitre...as IMO it is more important to have a rock solid line then a free safety, It seems easier to obtain depth at safety then guard. We have Wilson and Searcy looked promising. A stud on your front line offensive or defensive makes everyone behind them better.hopefully i wont have to but I'd have to say buy buy Byrdie.

would like to see them both finish there careers in Buffalo....tough question as we have struggled to obtain talent in the past its a shame to see them go. Ink Levitre...as IMO it is more important to have a rock solid line then a free safety, It seems easier to obtain depth at safety then guard. We have Wilson and Searcy looked promising. A stud on your front line offensive or defensive makes everyone behind them better.hopefully i wont have to but I'd have to say buy buy Byrdie.

Were talking about two really good to great players! Both are not in positions highly drafted Guard or Safety so if you're comparing Byrd's position to CB then you must in turn compare Levitre's position to OT...Also think about this if given the choice between a young in the prime of there career probowler Carl Nix/Jahri Evans or Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu. I'd take the Safety every time.

Obviously if we were talking LT (Joe Thomas style) I'd take the lineman

Edited by NeverOutNick

There are some players like Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, and Spencer Johnson, Brad Smith that are eating up some cash to be used on both.

Going to the 4-3 Dwan is expendable

Spencer Johnson is getting old and while he is a good 4-3 alternate we have heard and troupe (who could also walk) and carrington can play inside

while I like kelsay he is 32 and overpaid he can go to keep these 2

Brad Smith needs to show something for that 16mil contract

Theres money there to make these deals happen

Sign Levitre now. Waive the baggage of Edwards, Johnson, and Smith. Hold off on Byrd until mid-year and see if he is a real difference maker in the secondary or not with a new front 7. I'm not sold on him and in fact I think George Wilson at FS ans Searcy at SS may be just as good at less cost.

There are some players like Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, and Spencer Johnson, Brad Smith that are eating up some cash to be used on both.

Going to the 4-3 Dwan is expendable

Spencer Johnson is getting old and while he is a good 4-3 alternate we have heard and troupe (who could also walk) and carrington can play inside

while I like kelsay he is 32 and overpaid he can go to keep these 2

Brad Smith needs to show something for that 16mil contract

Theres money there to make these deals happen

I think and hope so too. But the question is more philosophical. Which one of the two do you value more? They're both top quarter NFL at there position IMO. Both positions are considered lower on the totem pole of importance. I think that Levitre is a slightly better guard than Byrd is a safety, but I think that a guard is easier to replace...

But again. I really like both and want to keep both!

Were talking about two really good to great players! Both are not in positions highly drafted Guard or Safety so if you're comparing Byrd's position to CB then you must in turn compare Levitre's position to OT...Also think about this if given the choice between a young in the prime of there career probowler Carl Nix/Jahri Evans or Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu. I'd take the Safety every time.

Obviously if we were talking LT (Joe Thomas style) I'd take the lineman

Well said. The comparison between the top 2 or 3 safeties in the game versus the top few G's is an excellent point.

And now that a few have chimed in I'll give my opinion: I'd take Byrd over LeVitre.

I believe G's are easier to replace than S's. That's not to discount LeVitre's importance to the team, but just take a look at our other contributing G's, Urbik and Rhinehart, both were plucked off the FA wires by Nix and company. Byrd is really coming into his own, and with the addition of Mario, I think things will only get better for Byrd back there in centerfield.

With all that said, I have a ton of faith in Nix and company that both will be resigned.

I don't wanna think about having to choose between the 2. We need both of them. Forget anyone else in free agency and lock these guys and Fred up. Then see if we have anything left. They need to resigned, no exceptions.

Sign Levitre now. Waive the baggage of Edwards, Johnson, and Smith. Hold off on Byrd until mid-year and see if he is a real difference maker in the secondary or not with a new front 7. I'm not sold on him and in fact I think George Wilson at FS ans Searcy at SS may be just as good at less cost.

If the Bills have the cap room to sign Levitre now, then do it. Then sign Byrd later.

If I had to choose only one it would be Levitre. He's our best O-Lineman and we need him for years to come.

I'm not against Byrd, we need him too, but Levitre is more important.

However, I believe that the Bills will be able to keep both of them.

Edited by Mark Vader

I will say this now: Lock up Byrd ASAP because the last time we were running a 4-3 the dude had 9 picks. Better get him before they start adding up again. Of course, I want both guys long term, I guess I'd be 51% Byrd and 49% Levitre

I love how everyone talks a good game about wanting a solid line but very few are calling for an OL 1st round in the draft

Look around the league. Most good defensive lines are built with top end picks. Most good offensive lines are built with mid-lat-free agent offensive lineman.

He's not on the same level as these two but another key free agent after next season is David Nelson. After seeing how much wideouts got this offseason need to get him locked up. Plenty of cash to go around, that isn't a concern. The bills won't have to choose who they can try to keep, they can afford them all.

He's not on the same level as these two but another key free agent after next season is David Nelson. After seeing how much wideouts got this offseason need to get him locked up. Plenty of cash to go around, that isn't a concern. The bills won't have to choose who they can try to keep, they can afford them all.

Agreed. David Nelson is a quality #3 wr. A good slot wr, Has gotten progressively better each of his 1st 2 seasons. Hopefully he gets extended